Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Elections 07:41 - Nov 23 with 5483 viewsDr_Winston

The rise of Geert Wilders, Marine Le Pen and the AFD in Germany (not forgetting the Italians) should be of no surprise to anyone who has actually been paying attention over the last couple of decades.

Perhaps the single biggest reason I voted for Brexit (other than the democratic shortage at the heart of the EU Governing process) was my belief that the whole thing would come crashing down within a couple of decades and that we'd be better off out before that happened.

Seen little since to change my mind.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

European Elections on 20:56 - Nov 23 with 866 viewsmajorraglan

There was an article in one of the better newspapers in the last few days reporting that the government had asked the ONS to delay publication of the immigration stats for a few days and the speculation was they didn’t want any distractions from the “good news story” that was yesterdays budget, however the ONS refused to play ball and published the figures as per protocol / customary practice.

It is now clear why the government wanted to delay the publication. Today’s figures are the highest ever, last years figure of 607,000 has been revised upwards to 745,000 that’s almost a 25% uplift - how can they get it so wrong? It looks like we’re on course for another record this year.

One of the reasons people wanted Brexit was to control our borders, but immigration has just increased. So, is this incompetence of the highest order or are we being deliberately gaslighted?

Our public services are crumbling, we’ve not got enough doctors and the government are increasing the population by 1.5m.

Edit, just read the Conservative manifesto pledge was to bring down immigration to below the 2019 level, which was 229,000 - it’s over 200% higher.

[Post edited 23 Nov 2023 21:12]
European Elections on 20:57 - Nov 23 with 861 viewscontroversial_jack

European Elections on 20:49 - Nov 23 by Kilkennyjack

Quite wrong to be honest ….

Trump ❌
Johnson ❌
LePen ❌

The world is moving away from these right wing populists.
Thankfully.

He will have to form a coalition first and then see how that works out first. The Dutch are well educated and won’t fall for the misinformation we did. A n exit from the EU won’t be anytime soon
European Elections on 21:54 - Nov 23 with 837 viewsfelixstowe_jack

European Elections on 20:57 - Nov 23 by controversial_jack

He will have to form a coalition first and then see how that works out first. The Dutch are well educated and won’t fall for the misinformation we did. A n exit from the EU won’t be anytime soon

The remainers fell for the misinformation that the EU was democratic and was only a trading alliance rather than its aik to become a federal super state.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

European Elections on 22:09 - Nov 23 with 827 viewscontroversial_jack

European Elections on 21:54 - Nov 23 by felixstowe_jack

The remainers fell for the misinformation that the EU was democratic and was only a trading alliance rather than its aik to become a federal super state.

As democratic as a country that appoints a non MP as chancellor and doesn’t elect it’s PMs
European Elections on 09:37 - Nov 24 with 756 viewsAnotherJohn

The news today includes articles about "far right" protests in Dublin. The damage to police vehicles and looting sounds ugly, but information regarding exactly why people became so angry appears to be being carefully managed. Tensions are indeed rising across Europe.
European Elections on 09:51 - Nov 24 with 751 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

European Elections on 09:37 - Nov 24 by AnotherJohn

The news today includes articles about "far right" protests in Dublin. The damage to police vehicles and looting sounds ugly, but information regarding exactly why people became so angry appears to be being carefully managed. Tensions are indeed rising across Europe.

It was fiery but mostly peaceful

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

European Elections on 09:54 - Nov 24 with 746 viewsonehunglow

European Elections on 09:37 - Nov 24 by AnotherJohn

Good use of inverted commas

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

European Elections on 10:08 - Nov 24 with 738 viewsKilkennyjack

European Elections on 21:54 - Nov 23 by felixstowe_jack

Who would have thought ?

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

European Elections on 10:14 - Nov 24 with 730 viewsonehunglow

European Elections on 10:08 - Nov 24 by Kilkennyjack

Who would have thought ?

Well I voted remain and still have to see any benefit at all regarding leaving.
There again, I’m thick

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

European Elections on 11:48 - Nov 24 with 703 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Who would have thought ?

Doubt it far more people in England voted for it than Wales. It is where all the cream of Wales and Scotland move to once they get their degrees.

You will believe any properganda without any evidence.

How about the DUBLIN riots in your peace loving Homeland.

European Elections on 12:35 - Nov 24 with 674 viewsAnotherJohn

Who would have thought ?

One of the punchlines of this study (published in PLOS One) is interesting:

"This gives the rather severe option to democratic countries—who often limit or deny the voting rights of its (sic.) citizens based upon cognitive impairments [62]—of restricting voting based on cognitive function." (Dawson & Baker 2023. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0289312)

This brought to mind what happened in several US states in the late 19th century when the right to vote was made conditional on passing literacy or civics exams. Of course, these 'Jim Crow' laws have long been decried by progressives like Chris Dawson (see his anti-Brexit social media posts), but his analysis seems to take him somewhere similar. My experience is that psychologists are generally not great at history or political science!
[Post edited 24 Nov 2023 12:37]
European Elections on 14:48 - Nov 24 with 644 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

European Elections on 12:35 - Nov 24 by AnotherJohn

One of the punchlines of this study (published in PLOS One) is interesting:

"This gives the rather severe option to democratic countries—who often limit or deny the voting rights of its (sic.) citizens based upon cognitive impairments [62]—of restricting voting based on cognitive function." (Dawson & Baker 2023. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0289312)

This brought to mind what happened in several US states in the late 19th century when the right to vote was made conditional on passing literacy or civics exams. Of course, these 'Jim Crow' laws have long been decried by progressives like Chris Dawson (see his anti-Brexit social media posts), but his analysis seems to take him somewhere similar. My experience is that psychologists are generally not great at history or political science!
[Post edited 24 Nov 2023 12:37]

Interesting article that says no conclusions can de drawn, obviously those drawing conclusions are stuggling with their cognitive ability!
It would be interesting to see what tests they used, there are a huge number of tests available and tests that measure different things.
Some tests have issues with reliability and also validity in that they measure cognitive ability using processes that can learned for example those used tertiary education. If you spend all day analysing written work under supervision you will develop some skills in verbal reasoning.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

European Elections on 15:51 - Nov 24 with 629 viewsAnotherJohn

European Elections on 09:54 - Nov 24 by onehunglow

Good use of inverted commas

Quotation marks may be appropriate.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-tension-simmering-beneath-the-dublin-rio
European Elections on 16:25 - Nov 24 with 613 viewsGwyn737

Who would have thought ?

This is a daft way to look at a voting pattern.

Yes it’s true that those with degree qualifications voted remain at a far bigger percentage than those with lower levels of education, but of course they did.

They’re the ones who in the main have done well in the former system so are incentivised to vote for the status quo.
European Elections on 17:23 - Nov 24 with 594 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

European Elections on 16:25 - Nov 24 by Gwyn737

This is a daft way to look at a voting pattern.

Yes it’s true that those with degree qualifications voted remain at a far bigger percentage than those with lower levels of education, but of course they did.

They’re the ones who in the main have done well in the former system so are incentivised to vote for the status quo.

Good stuff Gwyn, demonstrates your ability to evaluate an argument.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

European Elections on 17:31 - Nov 24 with 570 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Who would have thought ?

Nice headline but if you actually read the article even the guy who did the survey (a remain voter) says it’s probably all bollocks and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

How do you measure intelligence anyway?

European Elections on 17:48 - Nov 24 with 543 viewstrampie

It was widely stated by people that analyse these things at the time that it was old, racist and uneducated people that voted leave, that is not me saying that but it was widely said by people that study elections that that was the case, some people got quite offended by it, but that is what the so called experts thought.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

European Elections on 17:51 - Nov 24 with 554 viewsAnotherJohn

European Elections on 17:31 - Nov 24 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Nice headline but if you actually read the article even the guy who did the survey (a remain voter) says it’s probably all bollocks and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

How do you measure intelligence anyway?

The 2nd of the 5 components used was as follows:

"The second task assessed semantic verbal fluency, where participants were given one minute to name as many animals as possible."

Not great for oldsters like myself, who allegedly voted in greater numbers for Brexiit. Is this really associated with ability to make a reasoned judgement about the best of two alternative political policies?

I still can't get over the fact that the authors actually suggested that policy makers should consider removing the vote from people who don't score highly on these tests, and didn't present that as a joke!
[Post edited 24 Nov 2023 17:54]
European Elections on 17:58 - Nov 24 with 550 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

European Elections on 17:48 - Nov 24 by trampie

It was widely stated by people that analyse these things at the time that it was old, racist and uneducated people that voted leave, that is not me saying that but it was widely said by people that study elections that that was the case, some people got quite offended by it, but that is what the so called experts thought.

The general rule is they take a highly selective sample of around a thousand hand picked people and extrapolate the results to around 36 million people. It is not accurate. No doubt there were a hell of a lot of old stupid racist people who voted for remain too. Remember that sneery old woman on question time who was worried about who would serve her in Pret?

Supporting immigration because foreigners will do all the crap jobs British people are too superior to do is racist in itself. If you believe the only worth they have is picking fruit or wiping arses or cleaning floors or serving sandwiches then that’s just racist in my book and a hell of a lot of remainers think that way in my experience.

European Elections on 18:09 - Nov 24 with 535 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

European Elections on 17:51 - Nov 24 by AnotherJohn

The 2nd of the 5 components used was as follows:

"The second task assessed semantic verbal fluency, where participants were given one minute to name as many animals as possible."

Not great for oldsters like myself, who allegedly voted in greater numbers for Brexiit. Is this really associated with ability to make a reasoned judgement about the best of two alternative political policies?

I still can't get over the fact that the authors actually suggested that policy makers should consider removing the vote from people who don't score highly on these tests, and didn't present that as a joke!
[Post edited 24 Nov 2023 17:54]

Some people have no too little interest in animals. If you asked a non football fan to name as many league two clubs as possible in a minute it doesn’t matter how intelligent they are, they aren’t going to score very highly.

There are so many different types of intelligence too. I mean give me a book and I will read it incredibly fast and absorb every bit of information. My mind possesses some of the most obscure information, my friends call me a walking Wikipedia. But give me a flat packed wardrobe from ikea and say “assemble this” and I’ll be there til Christmas. I’m also in awe of anyone who can draw or paint to any sort of decent standard. It’s just beyond my capabilities. Or musical people. All these things need a good amount of intelligence but very few people are good at them all.

European Elections on 18:29 - Nov 24 with 507 viewstrampie

European Elections on 17:58 - Nov 24 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

The general rule is they take a highly selective sample of around a thousand hand picked people and extrapolate the results to around 36 million people. It is not accurate. No doubt there were a hell of a lot of old stupid racist people who voted for remain too. Remember that sneery old woman on question time who was worried about who would serve her in Pret?

Supporting immigration because foreigners will do all the crap jobs British people are too superior to do is racist in itself. If you believe the only worth they have is picking fruit or wiping arses or cleaning floors or serving sandwiches then that’s just racist in my book and a hell of a lot of remainers think that way in my experience.

One pollster did over 12 times that sample amount you mention on the day of the vote, they found those that strongly identify as English voted leave, those that had no job voted leave and the old, less educated and Conservative voter's tended to vote leave.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2023 18:42]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

European Elections on 19:18 - Nov 24 with 483 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

European Elections on 18:29 - Nov 24 by trampie

One pollster did over 12 times that sample amount you mention on the day of the vote, they found those that strongly identify as English voted leave, those that had no job voted leave and the old, less educated and Conservative voter's tended to vote leave.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2023 18:42]

That is still a pathetically small sample

European Elections on 19:37 - Nov 24 with 472 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 17:23 - Nov 24 by JACKMANANDBOY

Good stuff Gwyn, demonstrates your ability to evaluate an argument.

I try to be consistent if I can.

It’s why I always comment when people compare Wales and England NHS/Education outcomes etc. it’s just too simplistic to stick them side by side and say anything definitive.

It’s far more complex than that.
European Elections on 19:54 - Nov 24 with 454 viewsfelixstowe_jack

European Elections on 17:48 - Nov 24 by trampie

Does that mean over 50% of UK voters are old racist and uneducated. Statistically nonsense. More well educated older people with lots of life experience did vote to leave as opposed you inexperienced youngersters voted to remain.

European Elections on 20:09 - Nov 24 with 440 viewsSullutaCreturned

Who would have thought ?

Yeah, read the last 2 paragraphs.

Basucally, correlation doesn't prove causation

You voted remain didn't you, kilky
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024