Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Napoleon. 19:47 - Dec 5 with 8963 viewsCateLeBonR

I almost went to see it tonight. Then I read this. Anyone seen it?

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/12/02/napoleon-ridley-scott-review-movie-battle-m
Napoleon. on 20:09 - Dec 5 with 7213 viewsSonofpugwash

Never opened fire on the Pyramids.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Napoleon. on 20:17 - Dec 5 with 7196 viewsDorse

I was amazed. I never knew he invented Pokemon or that he once ate his own head. What a guy.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Napoleon. on 20:19 - Dec 5 with 7186 viewshertshoops

Going Thursday - don't spoil the ending for me
Napoleon. on 20:28 - Dec 5 with 7134 viewsStanisgod

Saw it today, not sure how historically correct it was but it's Ridley Scott so can't be bad. Plus Josephine's a bit of a looker.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Napoleon. on 20:38 - Dec 5 with 7095 viewsToast_R

Apart from the battle scenes, I wasn't overly impressed. Definitely a recliner option
Napoleon. on 20:44 - Dec 5 with 7071 viewslondonscottish

Napoleon. on 20:28 - Dec 5 by Stanisgod

Saw it today, not sure how historically correct it was but it's Ridley Scott so can't be bad. Plus Josephine's a bit of a looker.

Yeah but that's the problem. In reality she had black stumps for teeth.

I've just finished the Real Dictators podcast on Napoleon and now there's now no way I'd go and see this film.

I just don't get why film makers just make so much shit up when they're dealing with a real life character.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Napoleon. on 20:57 - Dec 5 with 6997 viewsSonofpugwash

Bonaparte shaved his legs and wore thick hairy socks.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Napoleon. on 20:58 - Dec 5 with 7003 viewsLimehouseR

Napoleon. on 20:44 - Dec 5 by londonscottish

Yeah but that's the problem. In reality she had black stumps for teeth.

I've just finished the Real Dictators podcast on Napoleon and now there's now no way I'd go and see this film.

I just don't get why film makers just make so much shit up when they're dealing with a real life character.

That podcast series is great listening, the Napoleon one in particular.
I've been listening to the series A short History Of made by the same people, really broad range of topics and really well told stories.

As for the film I do want to see it but I am the same as some of you on here, the historical inaccuracy will annoy me.
Login to get fewer ads

Napoleon. on 21:51 - Dec 5 with 6862 viewsCincyHoop

Like others on this post, I've listened to the Real Dictators podcast (very good). Also on Youtube, Epic History TV does a very good indepth series on the Napoleonic wars. I'd highly recommend.

I thought the movie left a lot to be desired. The film seemed awfully clunky providing no real context to anything that was really going on in the film. As others pointed out, there were significant portions of the movie that were blatantly fabricated.

I also found it a bit strange where Mr. Phoenix had some interesting lines that wouldn't have come anywhere close to how they would speak in the time. Nothing major, just found it a bit "off".

I realize its tough to condense a story of this complex and this long into a 2.5 hour movie, but I thought it was pretty poor. Seems like it would be better done in a series format like Band of Brothers, 10 episodes, each an hour a piece (or thereabouts) would give the director time to provide relevant context to the scenes.

Really cool battle scenes though.

5.5/10
Napoleon. on 21:51 - Dec 5 with 6862 viewsCincyHoop

Like others on this post, I've listened to the Real Dictators podcast (very good). Also on Youtube, Epic History TV does a very good in-depth series on the Napoleonic wars. I'd highly recommend.

I thought the movie left a lot to be desired. The film seemed awfully clunky providing no real context to anything that was really going on in the film. As others pointed out, there were significant portions of the movie that were blatantly fabricated.

I also found it a bit strange where Mr. Phoenix had some interesting lines that wouldn't have come anywhere close to how they would speak in the time. Nothing major, just found it a bit "off".

I realize its tough to condense a story of this complex and this long into a 2.5 hour movie, but I thought it was pretty poor. Seems like it would be better done in a series format like Band of Brothers, 10 episodes, each an hour a piece (or thereabouts) would give the director time to provide relevant context to the scenes.

Really cool battle scenes though.

5.5/10
Napoleon. on 21:58 - Dec 5 with 6832 viewsthame_hoops

Probably will wait for Blu-ray release. They filmed some of the battle scenes close to me in West Wycombe
Napoleon. on 22:00 - Dec 5 with 6828 viewsRangersDave

the french used the sphinx and the statues of memnon for target practice though.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Napoleon. on 22:03 - Dec 5 with 6813 viewsBoston

Napoleon. on 20:19 - Dec 5 by hertshoops

Sorry to fck your evening, but he did save Private Ryan.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Napoleon. on 22:39 - Dec 5 with 6698 viewsloftus77

My knowledge of the Napoleonic Wars is sketchy to say the least, but I did suspect historical inaccuracies, which I guess are inevitable in constructing a gripping, digestible, historical war epic. But still an excellent film with two excellent lead actors. A long film which didn't feel long imho. Well worth a look - and a dive into the history books afterwards.
Napoleon. on 22:40 - Dec 5 with 6690 viewsstevec

Watchable but not great.

If Saltburn is showing at same complex you’re better off seeing that.
Napoleon. on 22:50 - Dec 5 with 6655 viewsHantsR

Saw it last Saturday week. Bit disappointing really with poor dialogue linking the action scenes. I think rhere was a bit more to the man than is shown in this film. Worst aspect was that I came out with an ear worm of a certain ABBA song !
Napoleon. on 23:22 - Dec 5 with 6587 viewsCiderwithRsie

Not sure I buy the guns argument.

Firstly, it's a film, it has to sell tickets and hopefully be entertaining; it's not a documentary. I'm speaking as someone who would go to a documentary on Napoleonic war and has read a few books on it - a blockbuster in my local multiplex is just not that beast.

Secondly, while I agree with his basic point about how wars are usually won, just occasionally there were decisive battles. In 1066, if William gets an arrow in the eye instead of Harold then he loses. We can be sure of the because the sources tell us that halfway through the Normans thought he had got killed and started to run away, until he proved he was still alive. William loses and the war is over - we also know that, because that was what happened to the Norwegians at Stamford Bridge (not that one) a few days earlier.

In the case of Napoleon, a lot of his success did come from winning battles, that was his thing. The limitations of that did for him in Russia, and before that in Egypt, but you can't deny that, for example, Prussia was destroyed as a military power in two battles on one day in 1806, and only came back because Russia won in 1812.
Napoleon. on 23:50 - Dec 5 with 6531 viewsstrikerace

Good thing Napoleon was not around to see this. Movie spent 20 minutes on his 76 battle victories and 2 hrs and 20 minutes on his relationship with his wife.
Napoleon. on 00:26 - Dec 6 with 6481 viewsBoston

Oi Napoleon, put that light out...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Napoleon. on 00:41 - Dec 6 with 6447 viewsjohncharles

Napoleon. on 20:57 - Dec 5 by Sonofpugwash

Bonaparte shaved his legs and wore thick hairy socks.

You must have been very close

Strong and stable my arse.

Napoleon. on 02:06 - Dec 6 with 6412 viewsQPerthR

Wasn’t that good , would recommend waiting to watch at home
Napoleon. on 02:45 - Dec 6 with 6386 viewsSonofNorfolt

At times I was waiting for it to burst into a 'Python' like comedy sketch which would have been all the better for it.
Josephine is a bit of a slag, and Boney is a bit of a k unt.
The scene where she opens her stocking clad legs to reveal her secret was begging for the reveal of the Hammersmith coat of arms badge (1798) or at least a portrait of one of Yoann Barbet's ancestors.
My apologies to the cleaner at South Ruislip Cineworld for the popcorn mess I made during this moment are genuine. Especially as I hadn't even bought any.
Napoleon. on 07:38 - Dec 6 with 6252 viewslondonscottish

Napoleon. on 20:19 - Dec 5 by hertshoops

He drives over a cliff in slow motion in a 66 Ford Thunderbird singing "I will survive".

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Napoleon. on 08:33 - Dec 6 with 6157 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'll watch it on Amazon if it gets there.

The Critical Drinker's review was pretty much what others have posted.

My favourite story on historical accuracy is Sir Anthony Hopkins said when playing Lt.Colonel John Frost in 'A Bridge too Far' the late Major General Frost was there for the filming and Hopkins asked "How was it?" or something like that.
Frost replied "Very good except one doesn't/didn't run under fire"

Colonel Vandeleur was in Michael Caine's tenk during the ambush scene of XXX corps and he said it was just like being back there.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 8:34]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Napoleon. on 09:18 - Dec 6 with 6077 viewslightwaterhoop

Stupid movie it was much more about Ridley Scott and Joachim Phoenix trying to win an Oscar than it was about Napoleon.It was a very inaccurate and bad portrayal of one of the most interesting men in history.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024