Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colback. 21:58 - Feb 29 with 3438 viewsconnell10

I think we are really gonna miss the Ginger ninja the next couple of games , I think he has looked very good the last few games. He is a silly boy keep getting booked.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Colback. on 22:00 - Feb 29 with 2708 viewskensalriser

I'm going to put money on him to get booked every game he plays for the rest of the season, that should put a stop to it.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Colback. on 22:13 - Feb 29 with 2631 viewsMrSheen

I am I the only one to be a bit disappointed with Hayden? He’s decisive on the ball but I haven’t seen much energy and anticipation in defensive areas and thought he had a stinker on Saturday. Hopefully just ring rust.
Colback. on 22:29 - Feb 29 with 2573 viewsflynnbo

Colback. on 22:13 - Feb 29 by MrSheen

I am I the only one to be a bit disappointed with Hayden? He’s decisive on the ball but I haven’t seen much energy and anticipation in defensive areas and thought he had a stinker on Saturday. Hopefully just ring rust.

Been booked 3 games in a row now.
Colback. on 23:15 - Feb 29 with 2452 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Colback. on 22:13 - Feb 29 by MrSheen

I think he's been excellent. The single-most important player in our continued turnaround.

Not at his best on Saturday, true.

But his positioning is good, his tackling is good, no-one's getting through the middle easy now. Strong, mobile, good reader of the game.

When we're on the ball, it gets better again as far as I can see at least. Before his arrival we had Field not wanting the ball, Colback rarely wanting it and just passing it back if he did get it, Dozzell not wanting it, EDB wanting it and putting the other three to shame despite his supposedly lower skillset. Now we have a genuine Cryuffian pivot who, though we're obviously qualifying this for the level we are at, is miles better than we could have dreamed about with regards to taking the ball from the goalie r centre-backs, taking it smartly on the half-turn, moving it quickly and allowing us to play Cifuentes' preferred three-man midfield of central anchor, left-sided centre-mid and right-sided attacking mid.

Prior to that, we were often struggling even with three in midfield, and we normally had to play two of them as anchors. Now, we're competitive and mobile in midfield in every game. While Hodge and a resurgent Colback get mentions, the main reason that I can see is Hayden as the pivot.

Hayden has allowed us to do so much more attacking imo, and we're protecting our back line with far more aggression.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Colback. on 23:29 - Feb 29 with 2401 viewsChrisNW6

Colback. on 23:15 - Feb 29 by BrianMcCarthy

I think he's been excellent. The single-most important player in our continued turnaround.

But his positioning is good, his tackling is good, no-one's getting through the middle easy now. Strong, mobile, good reader of the game.

When we're on the ball, it gets better again as far as I can see at least. Before his arrival we had Field not wanting the ball, Colback rarely wanting it and just passing it back if he did get it, Dozzell not wanting it, EDB wanting it and putting the other three to shame despite his supposedly lower skillset. Now we have a genuine Cryuffian pivot who, though we're obviously qualifying this for the level we are at, is miles better than we could have dreamed about with regards to taking the ball from the goalie r centre-backs, taking it smartly on the half-turn, moving it quickly and allowing us to play Cifuentes' preferred three-man midfield of central anchor, left-sided centre-mid and right-sided attacking mid.

Prior to that, we were often struggling even with three in midfield, and we normally had to play two of them as anchors. Now, we're competitive and mobile in midfield in every game. While Hodge and a resurgent Colback get mentions, the main reason that I can see is Hayden as the pivot.

Hayden has allowed us to do so much more attacking imo, and we're protecting our back line with far more aggression.

My god how our midfield has improved, finally Sam has decent company. I still think Sam Field is our go to player but Hayden is warming my Cockles and Colback can continue to get booked daily. Hodge has given Willock and Chair much needed competition.

Keep JCS and Cook injury free and pick any four midfielders and we stay up.
Colback. on 04:54 - Mar 1 with 2192 viewsMrSheen

Colback. on 23:15 - Feb 29 by BrianMcCarthy

In the eye of the beholder! I didn’t see the last two away games, but I did see Norwich pouring through our middle all too easily on numerous occasions and Rotherham players overpowering Hayden regularly in one-on-one challenges. Colback has improved immensely since his arrival it’s true and he’s a much better distributor than Field. We’re on the rise since the closing of the window, but we now have a couple of games without our best recent performer,
Colback. on 05:27 - Mar 1 with 2173 viewsNorthernr

Hayden was poor last game but I think has been good overall.
And to the OP point, at least we're now in a position of Having a few decent options in midfield, whereas previously a suspension for Colback or Field basically meant one of us was playing.
Colback. on 05:40 - Mar 1 with 2153 viewscyprusmel

With regard to Colbacks bookings, some were very silly and a cheap give away but he has taken cards where other team members have left him with no alternative but to take one for the team.
Sometimes a card will prevent a goal.
Login to get fewer ads

Colback. on 05:42 - Mar 1 with 2151 viewsNorthernr

Colback. on 05:40 - Mar 1 by cyprusmel

With regard to Colbacks bookings, some were very silly and a cheap give away but he has taken cards where other team members have left him with no alternative but to take one for the team.
Sometimes a card will prevent a goal.

Agreed, and we've been saying for a long time we need a bit more of those street smarts about us. It's when he talks himself into a daft booking for dissent (West Brom A) or gets sent off for a ludicrous tackle (Sunderland H) that I have a problem, but in general I'm rather sick of watching those 'take one for the team' fouls done to us while we wave opponents through like nice boys.
Colback. on 07:21 - Mar 1 with 2017 viewsQPROslo

Agree we will miss Colback. Imo we have lost a lot of composure when we try to pass the ball out from the back, beat the press with the loss of the outball, link play, quick, accurate passing Dozzell provided. Hayden's dynamism and Colback's good form have compensated, but not entirely.
Colback. on 07:37 - Mar 1 with 1987 viewsnix

We lose some by playing Colback over Field, in for instance defending set pieces, where Sam benefits from greater physical presence. We looked pretty good in the Bristol City game where Sam rather than Jack played until the 78th minute. Jack is definitely better at link play, moving the ball through the lines, in the opposition box etc. If we are going to do without him it's probably better against two teams that are less likely to put eleven players behind the ball.
Colback. on 08:17 - Mar 1 with 1927 viewsHastings_Hoops

Colback. on 07:21 - Mar 1 by QPROslo

Agree we will miss Colback. Imo we have lost a lot of composure when we try to pass the ball out from the back, beat the press with the loss of the outball, link play, quick, accurate passing Dozzell provided. Hayden's dynamism and Colback's good form have compensated, but not entirely.

I feel more comfortable in all these situations with Colback playing and without Andre the friendly ghost playing.

Colback has speed of thought, experience and ability to play a quick one two. He also has the tenacity to win the ball back if he or someone else loses it (it has resonated with me over the last two or three home matches, how many times Colback will win the ball back high up the field).
Colback. on 08:51 - Mar 1 with 1865 viewsgazza1

Colback has been very good addition to the squad and we are better in many areas of the park when he is playing. He wants the ball, plays with his head high, passes it around, looks forward and his positional play to get the ball is good too. We will miss him against Leicester but hopefully Field will step up and probably we will need him defensively.

As for Hayden, didn't play well on Saturday but, once again, he has played a big role in our improvement sitting in front of the back 4.

I would, also, suggest that both of them have really helped some of the players and made a real impact during training as well as match day.
Colback. on 09:30 - Mar 1 with 1766 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Colback. on 04:54 - Mar 1 by MrSheen

In the eye of the beholder! I didn’t see the last two away games, but I did see Norwich pouring through our middle all too easily on numerous occasions and Rotherham players overpowering Hayden regularly in one-on-one challenges. Colback has improved immensely since his arrival it’s true and he’s a much better distributor than Field. We’re on the rise since the closing of the window, but we now have a couple of games without our best recent performer,

The eye of the beholder, i sright, Sheener.

I admit that I may be too pro-Hayden because of what came before him in that position.

Colback. on 10:37 - Mar 1 with 1601 viewsslmrstid

Hayden was poor in that first half against Rotherham but the Norwich game I thought he was immense. Funny how perspectives differ.
Colback. on 10:39 - Mar 1 with 1590 viewsNorthernr

Colback. on 09:30 - Mar 1 by BrianMcCarthy

The eye of the beholder, i sright, Sheener.

I admit that I may be too pro-Hayden because of what came before him in that position.

Yeh given the nonsense we've been picking in central midfield previously it's little wonder Hayden has been well received.
Colback. on 10:39 - Mar 1 with 1590 viewsdaveB

He was always going to get that 2 game ban but rather these 2 games when we have other options than a month ago when Field was also missing

I quite like Hayden, didn't play well last week but at Bristol City and home to Norwich he was excellent
Colback. on 11:51 - Mar 1 with 1474 viewsderbyhoop

Colback. on 08:17 - Mar 1 by Hastings_Hoops

I feel more comfortable in all these situations with Colback playing and without Andre the friendly ghost playing.

Colback has speed of thought, experience and ability to play a quick one two. He also has the tenacity to win the ball back if he or someone else loses it (it has resonated with me over the last two or three home matches, how many times Colback will win the ball back high up the field).

I can'r remember exactly how Colback got his latest booking but, in the last 10 minutes he was excellent at tracking back, getting his body between Rotherham attackers and the ball, drawing fouls as a result. It bought us time, disrupted them and meant, although we only held a 1 goal lead, we were never in any serious likelihood of conceding an equaliser.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Colback. on 11:54 - Mar 1 with 1471 viewsTheChef

I'm still not entirely sure about him (suspect temperament, is he really bothered) but I suppose ultimately he's an upgrade on what we had before.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Colback. on 12:25 - Mar 1 with 1365 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Colback. on 11:51 - Mar 1 by derbyhoop

I can'r remember exactly how Colback got his latest booking but, in the last 10 minutes he was excellent at tracking back, getting his body between Rotherham attackers and the ball, drawing fouls as a result. It bought us time, disrupted them and meant, although we only held a 1 goal lead, we were never in any serious likelihood of conceding an equaliser.

He got the latest booking for taking a man down to stop a break. Had to do it.

But Gus raised a great point on Colback - why is he the man on the half-way line when we have a corner? He's not quick, he's not a defender, he has a good shot so wouldn't he be better off at the edge of the box where he might get a shot off rather than further back where he's at risk of picking up another yellow?

Colback. on 12:57 - Mar 1 with 1269 viewsQPROslo

Colback. on 12:25 - Mar 1 by BrianMcCarthy

But Gus raised a great point on Colback - why is he the man on the half-way line when we have a corner? He's not quick, he's not a defender, he has a good shot so wouldn't he be better off at the edge of the box where he might get a shot off rather than further back where he's at risk of picking up another yellow?

From the stream it looked like Colback did a great job back there sweeping up any potential breakouts after our dead balls were cleared, as usual. Agree he can shoot. Have an idea Cannon did this sweeping up bit when he played, maybe he will again if he starts.
Colback. on 13:02 - Mar 1 with 1233 viewsterryb

Colback. on 11:51 - Mar 1 by derbyhoop

His caution followed Willock passing to him & leaving the pass woefully short, setting up a Rotherham breakaway,

Colback had no option other than to foul the opponent & the referee had no option than to issue the caution.

Like Clive, it is the cautions for kicking the ball away, arguing etc that annoy me & not last weeks.
Colback. on 13:13 - Mar 1 with 1202 viewsgolborne

recycle recycle recycle + sees and deals with danger by whichever means

I've always felt uncomfortable with the negativity around him. Yeah, he picks up a lot of cards, but people have wrongly accused him of a lot worse than that. Central midfielders, especially deep lying ones, need to show for, be able to control and move on the ball. It's the basics - and he can do that well. As exciting as doubling up and throwing yourself in front of the ball in your own box is for some, I'd much rather we were up the other end of the pitch and not needing that as much. In recent weeks I feel we've been better at moving the ball through the middle and taking the game to teams.

People talk of much needed competition. I was happier with Field last week, than I have been in any game for ages. Forget the heroics, he's an awful all-round DM, simply because of his control of the football and his lack of confidence around that. The DM needs to show for the ball and try to progress us. In that position he just passes it backwards when he eventually gets it under control. Last week he was further up the pitch, showed for the ball more and made some really good runs down the left. It was almost like his first half season with us after joining in Jan. Warburton's failure in THAT following season was moving Steph out of DM and replacing him with Field for the 2nd half of the season (Fields first game was Stoke at home in Dec, due to injury). Not Field's fault at all, I love his desire, but don't put him in a position he can't play comfortably and sees us stuck in our own half waiting for the inevitable.
Colback. on 13:22 - Mar 1 with 1159 viewsParkRoyalR

Not wishing to change tact of thread but the point Gus made is one of quite a few slightly odd calls by the Manager where you look at it and think I don't get that call.

I'm a big Sam Field fan and thought he was excellent when he came on against Rotherham and seemed to help change the momentum of the game, his passing was very good and was driving forward with the ball which always make a huge difference.

Agree Colback was excellent 2nd Half but has been weak link defensively at set-pieces versus Norwich & Stoke, but maybe gives us better game management and threat attacking the box.

Rotating 2 of these 3 is very much about the game-plan for the specific opposition and who's plays with them, be it Dunne or Cannon etc eg Field better defensively particularly at set-pieces so would be a starter against likes of Millwall, Cardiff especially if Cannon playing,

Great to have options and players who can run with the ball after early season sideways recycling to nowhere in this area.
Colback. on 13:26 - Mar 1 with 1136 viewsHastings_Hoops

…he’s impressed me at defending breaks after our first corner inevitably hits the first man tbf.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024