Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. 22:38 - Apr 1 with 2434 viewsLazyFan

Marti changed it up to rest a few, which gave us a chance to observe the state of some of the fringe players.

Dykes:
He failed to impress, no excuses, really, as he had been rested from the last game. I think this means he's done at QPR, and Marti will offload him in the summer if he can. You could say Frey was no different, but Frey is still adapting; no excuses can be said for Dykes. Marti will start Frey against Sheff Wed and not Dykes and that will say it all.

Hodge:
Was not impressive and not really in the game. Subbed as we were too open in the centre. Still young, so, still time. I think he might be useful as a winger, we should try him there.

Colback:
Millwall at home, he was 10 yards too high, Martie stepped in during the game, told him after 20 minutes to drop back his positioning, and that's when we took control of the game away from Millwall. Rotherham Colback was deep-lying and controlled the game. Swansea Colback was way too high up the pitch, which allowed them to control the game. Same with Brum, too high up. This allows the oppo to drop the ball in between the lines and attack us. He needs to stop trying to be the AMC and be a DMC, where he can control the game better with his passing. Otherwise, we get caught out on the break aways. This is why when Hayden came on, he made a difference. Hayden dropped back and plugged the gap, and then Swansea struggled to get behind us. Fix this and Colback will play better, don't and it's more Yellow cards and defeats. Hayden will start against Sheff Wed instead.

Smyth:
Reasonable, but his passing was not great. Looked tired to me. Did okay, but not as good as Willock. Willock was rested and will, as we know, start against Sheff Wed instead. Smyth and Armstrong will be useful with their pace in the latter stages.

Fox:
Got skinned a few times and was targeted. Apart from being beaten a few times for pace and one-twos, actually played well. Especially putting off their player for a certain goal. He's not a LB, he's a CD. Useful backup for our amazing Cook and JCS. Paal will defo return for Sheff Wed. But Fox will be useful if we want to hold out a lead.

Special mention for Asmir who saved a certain goal when it was 0-0. They should have scored that. He helped win the game there. We have to give him credit there because he's sometimes a little slow.

It should also be noted that the football was not great from both sides because apparently rugby had been played recently, and the pitch was terrible. This is what Cook claimed, anyway. Makes sense, considering the amount of poor passing from both teams.

What I liked about this win is that both teams had rested players, but usually, when QPR do this we lose. This time, we showed we have a strength in depth. We should have enough coverage in all depts as long as we don't lose Asmir, Cook or JCS. Those 3 I don't see direct replacements for. We could maybe get away with Dunne and Fox, with Cannon returning. But then it doesn't look as strong, does it? Nope, those 3 are key to us staying up.

Marti is God
Andersen is Jesus

zzzzzzzzzz

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 22:46 - Apr 1 with 2369 viewscolinallcars

My wife says Marti has a certain charisma.
I told her he doesn't like Italian cars.
I think Dykes and Chair will be left out v Wednesday.
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 22:51 - Apr 1 with 2329 viewsParkRoyalR

Didn't we just win a very difficult away game with the players listed below?

We have some very special 'fan's.
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 22:57 - Apr 1 with 2293 viewsLblock

Agree on Hodge

I’m not seeing it with him
Match sealing goal v Blackburn but not a lot else.

Hope I’m wrong and he has a great last half dozen games.

Thought Smudge was good today
Couple of defensive lapses but was busy and kept their RB on his toes all game
Two crosses that a striker with movement would’ve done more with

As for Eric Dykes …. I agree
Really hope he cranks it up and bags a couple before end of season so he makes the Jocksquad.
Then it would be nice to see him get a couple of strikes in the summerfor some Euro hype, we’ll take the phone calls and end them with “…..okay…..yes…..no problem…. We’ll ring you straight back with the Fee amount after we return Real Madrids phone call about him..”
Thanks and all the best x

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 23:02 - Apr 1 with 2267 viewsdaveB

Hodge hasn't looked great since those first 2 games, obviously young and learning sure he'll have a very good career but if everyone is fit he doesn't get in the team, thought he was very slow at times today especially on the break

for all the praise to the CEO for the transfer window have to say 2 of those 4 signings in Frey and Hodge don't look as good a few months on
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 23:03 - Apr 1 with 2261 viewssandsofporto

Thanks and all the best 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 23:38 - Apr 1 with 2129 viewsbosh67

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 23:02 - Apr 1 by daveB

Hodge hasn't looked great since those first 2 games, obviously young and learning sure he'll have a very good career but if everyone is fit he doesn't get in the team, thought he was very slow at times today especially on the break

for all the praise to the CEO for the transfer window have to say 2 of those 4 signings in Frey and Hodge don't look as good a few months on

To be honest both Frey and Hodge need a proper run of games at this level.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 06:10 - Apr 2 with 1908 viewsMalintabuk

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 23:38 - Apr 1 by bosh67

To be honest both Frey and Hodge need a proper run of games at this level.

Totally agree with that. I think the one criticism perhaps of Marti is that he swops them for every other game, and that is no conducive to finding any form.
Though neither are stand out strikers, but would be nice if one got a run at starting until the end of the season, and that for me would be Frey or Armstrong.
Dykes as had enough chances for me, and is I'm afraid just poor. When he plays that Harry Kane type role, and that is something I thought I would never do, compare him to Kane, a bit deeper, he does look better. But he is not comparable to Andersen so he is not going to get a gig often.
All three are our players, and so I guess we need to carry on the best we can with what we got.
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 06:33 - Apr 2 with 1870 viewsdmm

I'm not sure we'll see Cannon return to the starting 11; at least until we're safe. Dunne is playing out of his skin in all areas of the pitch, and gives Begovic/Cook an out ball when we can't pass through a press at the back.

I'm not convinced Dunne would be Cifuentes' first choice RB in the new season, but he has shown he can be a great option there in certain games.
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 06:48 - Apr 2 with 1838 viewsSydneyRs

Shame about Dykes but if Marti can't get a tune out of him then maybe its time to part ways. A few decent performances at the Euros and we might get a few quid for him.
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 07:28 - Apr 2 with 1740 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 23:02 - Apr 1 by daveB

A 50% success rate on transfers is still a significant improvement on what we've had for the last decade.

I thought Hodge looked great to begin with, no doubt blinded by his goal, but he has flattered to deceive since then. He's only on loan anyway.

Frey doesn't look great but he's done a job here. Scored an important goal, has always given 100% and given us an extra option for the run-in. Doubt he's on much money too.

Stating the obvious but we will be in the market for a new striker in the summer and I have more faith in the new regime to do that than the previous one.
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 07:43 - Apr 2 with 1691 viewsEsox_Lucius

It worked.
[Post edited 2 Apr 7:43]

The grass is always greener.

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 08:21 - Apr 2 with 1520 viewssaxbend

Just as with managers, getting rid of players isn't how you improve. It's about who comes in. The time to say goodbye to any player of any position, is when you have enough superior options available that he simply can't even get a place on the bench even when there are a couple of injuries and suspensions. We have probably reached that point with Adomah and Drewe. We might be close to it but not quite with Kakay as well. We would be with Dixon-Bonner except that Hayden and Hodge won't be here next season, so we really aren't. We're not even close as far as Dykes is concerned. We need him.
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 08:49 - Apr 2 with 1380 viewsParkRoyalR

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 08:21 - Apr 2 by saxbend

Just as with managers, getting rid of players isn't how you improve. It's about who comes in. The time to say goodbye to any player of any position, is when you have enough superior options available that he simply can't even get a place on the bench even when there are a couple of injuries and suspensions. We have probably reached that point with Adomah and Drewe. We might be close to it but not quite with Kakay as well. We would be with Dixon-Bonner except that Hayden and Hodge won't be here next season, so we really aren't. We're not even close as far as Dykes is concerned. We need him.

This post is spot on.

Why is this rational common sense thinking beyond so many posters on this forum.
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 08:52 - Apr 2 with 1366 viewsTheChef

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 08:21 - Apr 2 by saxbend

Sorry but surely we can do better than Dykes in terms of forwards?

Hope Rangers offer us a decent wedge for him in the summer, and reinvest that properly.

Can't fault Dykes' effort but his goals to games ratio for a striker is not good.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 09:43 - Apr 2 with 1230 viewscpgerber

I would like to see Hodge in a striker role. His running and I think his finishing could be very useful there and offer better returns that what we are currently getting. He's short yes, but its not like (our forwards) are currently free scoring from aerial positions.

Pity he hesitated a bit on that chance he got just before Chair missed. Maybe still missing that striker's instinct.

If he wasn't a loan player, certainly worth the experiment.
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 11:48 - Apr 2 with 1043 viewsDubaiR

I thought Dykes played well yesterday. Won his headers, worked hard and played a couple of very clever passes.

People saying he had no shots, he had one on target deflected wide for a corner.

Neither Frey nor Armstrong had a shot either.

Dykes made a couple of good runs and the ball never came in
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 11:54 - Apr 2 with 1003 viewsDubaiR

Just to add to last post, this has been his lowest goal returning season but still our top scorer. He isnt a goal scoring forward, more a support act.

Marti picks up away from home as he is a better option than Frey right now and Armstrong great facing goal running on to balls but teams play around him too easily and like Anthony Joshua after 2 or 3 bursts he is gasping for air or goes down with an injury.

Look at the away points we have picked up, fact is Marti trusts him to do a job. Is he good enough, not as our main striker, do I trust Marti's judgement more than most on this board...yes i do.
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 11:54 - Apr 2 with 999 viewsParkRoyalR

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 11:48 - Apr 2 by DubaiR

I thought Dykes played well yesterday. Won his headers, worked hard and played a couple of very clever passes.

People saying he had no shots, he had one on target deflected wide for a corner.

Neither Frey nor Armstrong had a shot either.

Dykes made a couple of good runs and the ball never came in

Thought we lost control of the game in the 2nd Half,

Not necessarily down to swapping Dykes for Armstrong, but still not getting my head around the logic for some of these 2nd Half substitutions,

But winning is all that matters, whether it comes through good fortune or good tactics.
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 11:58 - Apr 2 with 968 viewsdaveB

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 11:54 - Apr 2 by ParkRoyalR

Thought we lost control of the game in the 2nd Half,

Not necessarily down to swapping Dykes for Armstrong, but still not getting my head around the logic for some of these 2nd Half substitutions,

But winning is all that matters, whether it comes through good fortune or good tactics.

Game changed when Hayden came on as we got control of the midfield again, before that we were being over run as Dykes was sort of stuck between up front and midfield and didn't really do either, i thought he should have gone off instead of Hodge although he was certainly better than he was at Sunderland
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 12:02 - Apr 2 with 942 viewsdaveB

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 07:28 - Apr 2 by Wegerles_Stairs

A 50% success rate on transfers is still a significant improvement on what we've had for the last decade.

I thought Hodge looked great to begin with, no doubt blinded by his goal, but he has flattered to deceive since then. He's only on loan anyway.

Frey doesn't look great but he's done a job here. Scored an important goal, has always given 100% and given us an extra option for the run-in. Doubt he's on much money too.

Stating the obvious but we will be in the market for a new striker in the summer and I have more faith in the new regime to do that than the previous one.

Yeah wasn't meant as a criticism really just that people went on about best transfer window in years etc but 2 of the 4 signings haven't been that great so far
The 2 who have done well one of them is clearly a Marti pick and the other has been on the clubs radar for years

Always think a transfer window should be judged a few months later, players usually start well but you get a better picture over time.

real test for the new ceo is in the summer and assuming we stay up do we repeat the summer of 2021 and get carried away again or use the money more wisely.
Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 12:59 - Apr 2 with 803 viewsBoston

Thoughts on Swansea team selection. on 08:49 - Apr 2 by ParkRoyalR

This post is spot on.

Why is this rational common sense thinking beyond so many posters on this forum.

Alcohol.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024