Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate’s replacement. 10:33 - May 20 with 8369 viewsSnipper

With Southgate more than likely going after this summers Euro’s, who do you think will replace him, or who would you like?

Personally, I think the FA should beak the bank and go for Pep Guardiola. I honestly think that if he’d have been in charge for the last two tournaments, England would already be European and World champions.
Southgate’s replacement. on 16:52 - May 20 with 1287 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 15:52 - May 20 by daveB

Managing those egos, keeping multi millionaires motivated and creating a style they enjoy playing that also wins games is far from easy

Of course he may well struggle with a league 2 side but I'd imagine most league 2 managers would struggle managing man City or Barcelona
International football is also very different, many great club managers have struggled with it, the best managers at international level have also usually done very little in club football bar a few exceptions

No doubt England should win more with Pep in charge but it should be said he's not perfect, has lost a lot of knockout games due to mistakes he's made and he's a fiercely passionate Spaniard who will more than likely rather manage that Spain team than England

if Southgate goes this summer I'd give the job to Eddie Howe

I've never understood the idea great managers would struggle with league two teams. I mean, it's never been tried - apart from managers like, say, Martin O'Neill, who started at that sort of level. But I don't really get the logic behind it.

You're a great poet, but I bet you couldn't write a limerick
You're a rocket engineer but I'd bet you'd be lost trying to fix a flat tyre on a bike
You make designer clothing, but I bet you couldn't knit a scarf

Pep's at the top because he has the lot: tactical expertise, motivational skills, passion, calmness, temperament and on and on. Why would that not work in league 2? He'd find a way to adapt, right?

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:58 - May 20 with 1263 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:52 - May 20 by Antti_Heinola

I've never understood the idea great managers would struggle with league two teams. I mean, it's never been tried - apart from managers like, say, Martin O'Neill, who started at that sort of level. But I don't really get the logic behind it.

You're a rocket engineer but I'd bet you'd be lost trying to fix a flat tyre on a bike

Pep's at the top because he has the lot: tactical expertise, motivational skills, passion, calmness, temperament and on and on. Why would that not work in league 2? He'd find a way to adapt, right?

I just think the players wouldn't be good enough to implement his ideas. Don't get me wrong he wouldn't be struggling and bottom but I don't think he'd be a guarantee of success either

If Man City get punished we might find out
Southgate’s replacement. on 17:01 - May 20 with 1258 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:58 - May 20 by daveB

I just think the players wouldn't be good enough to implement his ideas. Don't get me wrong he wouldn't be struggling and bottom but I don't think he'd be a guarantee of success either

If Man City get punished we might find out

Well they woudn't be able to play like City, but a version of it for sure. That's what coaching is.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 17:11 - May 20 with 1243 viewsNorthantsHoop

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:49 - May 20 by daveB

he doesn't have the players either imo
We could win it but so could Germany, France, Spain and Portugal.

We've got no left back, 2 first choice centre halves not playing regular and a puzzle for where to fit in Foden whilst still having protection for the back 4 in midfield

Think we have the players to win it especially midfield and attacking players, but as you say our weakness is the defence. So far Southgate has wasted Foden out wide and think we all know that Foden is more effective in a free flowing attacking midfield role. He now also has Palmer in the mix as well plus in my mind the best midfielder in possibly the World at the moment in Jude Bellingham. We are a force just need belief, tactics and good slice of luck to get over the line. Another great benefit is the wonderful Harry Kane a real top quality striker plying his trade in Germany so won't be fazed in front of those German crowds.
[Post edited 20 May 17:12]
Southgate’s replacement. on 17:14 - May 20 with 1224 viewslassel

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:54 - May 20 by Antti_Heinola

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if he didn't move into international management - eventually. For someone like him, what else is left? He played for Spain, so can't see any reason why he wouldn't manage them. I think he did say once that he'd like to try managing in south America, could see him going to manage Boca Juniors or something, and then having a crack at a world cup before retiring. I can't believe he wouldn't want to try that.

People are very down on Sven but the truth is we improved immeasurably under him compared to previous years. hoddle still gets lionised for being knocked out in round 2, Sven always went further but is demonised.

Howe would seem a likely candidate if he'd take it, same as Potter. Don't think Carsley wants that kind of pressure and to have no name at all in the game to speak of, after 2 defeats people would go nuts. Cooper hasn't done nearly enough.

Word is that after City he will go over to New York City
Southgate’s replacement. on 17:34 - May 20 with 1191 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 17:14 - May 20 by lassel

Word is that after City he will go over to New York City

He did live there for a year after he left Barca, so wouldn't be surprised.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 18:17 - May 20 with 1117 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 17:11 - May 20 by NorthantsHoop

Think we have the players to win it especially midfield and attacking players, but as you say our weakness is the defence. So far Southgate has wasted Foden out wide and think we all know that Foden is more effective in a free flowing attacking midfield role. He now also has Palmer in the mix as well plus in my mind the best midfielder in possibly the World at the moment in Jude Bellingham. We are a force just need belief, tactics and good slice of luck to get over the line. Another great benefit is the wonderful Harry Kane a real top quality striker plying his trade in Germany so won't be fazed in front of those German crowds.
[Post edited 20 May 17:12]

problem you have with Foden is he often plays wide and drifts inside for City and is very good at it but that's the space Kane tends to play in so for England Foden does end up being ineffective.

You could play him as a 10 behind Kane and drop Bellingham deeper which I think is the ideal way to go and means you can play a real wide player such as Gordon or Sterling out there but not sure Southgate will go that way as again its where Kane likes to operate

We certainly have the attacking players to win it, but so do a few other sides.
Southgate’s replacement. on 18:26 - May 20 with 1100 viewsloftupper

Southgate’s replacement. on 17:01 - May 20 by Antti_Heinola

Well they woudn't be able to play like City, but a version of it for sure. That's what coaching is.

I’d say we witnessed this to a certain degree this season. Cifuentes learned quite early on that the players were too limited to play how he hoped. Made some adjustments based on that and was successful.
I would say that the top managers would be able to do similar at whatever level you put them at.
Login to get fewer ads

Southgate’s replacement. on 19:05 - May 20 with 1031 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 18:26 - May 20 by loftupper

I’d say we witnessed this to a certain degree this season. Cifuentes learned quite early on that the players were too limited to play how he hoped. Made some adjustments based on that and was successful.
I would say that the top managers would be able to do similar at whatever level you put them at.

Agree.
I think City have cheated, financially. I think it’s going to be difficult for them to prove otherwise. But they’ve spotted some great bargains too, like Akanji, and are bringing through some top youngsters as well. It’s easy to fall back on the financial criticism, but Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U have all spent enormous sums too: and they can’t get close. Pep’s possibly the best coach that ever lived.

Interesting that while Southgate gets criticism, it’s only this season that pep has trusted foden fully through the centre.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 19:14 - May 20 with 1015 viewslassel

Southgate’s replacement. on 19:05 - May 20 by Antti_Heinola

Agree.
I think City have cheated, financially. I think it’s going to be difficult for them to prove otherwise. But they’ve spotted some great bargains too, like Akanji, and are bringing through some top youngsters as well. It’s easy to fall back on the financial criticism, but Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U have all spent enormous sums too: and they can’t get close. Pep’s possibly the best coach that ever lived.

Interesting that while Southgate gets criticism, it’s only this season that pep has trusted foden fully through the centre.

I see it the other way, the PL have to prove that City’s sponsorships are not ‘real’, which is going to be nigh on impossible to do, especially as City will have Etihad’s CEO turn up and say it’s a real sponsorship and they got their moneys worth which is what happened at CAS.

The real success at City has been building a machine that works seamlessly regardless of the chopping and changing of parts.
Southgate’s replacement. on 19:40 - May 20 with 984 viewsNed_Kennedys

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:23 - May 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

On Guardiola, he plays exactly like Southgate does so surprised to see his critics ask for him.

What a laughable comparison: Pep knows how to change things around to win a game when needed for starters.
Southgate’s replacement. on 19:44 - May 20 with 977 viewsNed_Kennedys

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:49 - May 20 by daveB

he doesn't have the players either imo
We could win it but so could Germany, France, Spain and Portugal.

We've got no left back, 2 first choice centre halves not playing regular and a puzzle for where to fit in Foden whilst still having protection for the back 4 in midfield

Those problems are mainly of Southgate’s own making though.
Southgate’s replacement. on 19:45 - May 20 with 970 viewskernowhoop

Southgate’s replacement. on 17:01 - May 20 by Antti_Heinola

They (the lower league team with Pep in charge) would undoubtedly play better than they did before, but, they would soon reach their limits because the level of skill of each individual player would hold back the development of the team. It would show up in many ways, not least when, for example, the 'ordinary' player - lacking the skill of a top-flight player - was under pressure and had to make a quick decision on what to do with the ball.
Southgate’s replacement. on 21:02 - May 20 with 884 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 19:44 - May 20 by Ned_Kennedys

Those problems are mainly of Southgate’s own making though.

his first choice left back getting injured and John Stones falling out of favour isn't really his fault
Southgate’s replacement. on 21:47 - May 20 with 838 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Southgate’s replacement. on 19:40 - May 20 by Ned_Kennedys

What a laughable comparison: Pep knows how to change things around to win a game when needed for starters.

Why do you speak to people like this? Why are you so angry?
Southgate’s replacement. on 21:56 - May 20 with 834 viewsnumptydumpty

Southgate’s replacement. on 21:47 - May 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

Clearly to get a rise from people and it seems you have just fallen into his trap !!

Southgate is a decent England manager and we do have a multitude of riches in attack and midfield but strangely very weak from a general defensive and goalkeeping perspective.

Semi Final losers at best I think. Could be Quarter finals.
[Post edited 20 May 21:56]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Southgate’s replacement. on 22:04 - May 20 with 815 viewsGaryBannister86

Southgate’s replacement. on 19:40 - May 20 by Ned_Kennedys

It's not laughable, it's just an opinion that is different to yours. You could argue that Pep has even more riches on the bench that Southgate ever has in order to change things up.
Southgate’s replacement. on 22:08 - May 20 with 795 viewsLblock

I was always of the opinion the Manager needed to be English

I wouldve made an exception for Wenger when he left Arsenal and I'd still have him in as part of the set up.
The only candidate I can see at the moment who is English is Eddie Howe but something about him doesn't sit right at the moment, maybe in a few years. Only other's with a current record at higher level is Sean Dyche (who I am not averse to) or Gazza O'Neill (who I like a lot but way down on experience)

So I think we will go with another Johnny Foreigner and I'd therefore make it one who has managed on these shores for a number of years.
Klopp fits the bill to a tee (th) and would cause much Scouse meltdown.
Pep would be unbelievable and I could never see it.

Blimey... looks like Safegate is the only candidate for his own job!!
(Though appointing Hasslew@nk another major flaw for him)

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Southgate’s replacement. on 00:09 - May 21 with 703 viewsFredManRave

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:52 - May 20 by Antti_Heinola

Well we'll find out the season after next when he's Welcomed to Wrexham, in League 1...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Southgate’s replacement. on 01:04 - May 21 with 677 viewsNed_Kennedys

Southgate’s replacement. on 21:47 - May 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

😂
Southgate’s replacement. on 01:13 - May 21 with 664 viewsNed_Kennedys

Southgate’s replacement. on 21:02 - May 20 by daveB

his first choice left back getting injured and John Stones falling out of favour isn't really his fault

He’s had years to blood other options across central defence and left back and give experience to younger players but he prefers to stick with his favourites even if not playing or out of form. He will occasionally drop a younger player in but maybe for a game or a sub appearance or two. Why has Maguire played virtually every game?
Southgate’s replacement. on 08:07 - May 21 with 558 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 01:13 - May 21 by Ned_Kennedys

He’s had years to blood other options across central defence and left back and give experience to younger players but he prefers to stick with his favourites even if not playing or out of form. He will occasionally drop a younger player in but maybe for a game or a sub appearance or two. Why has Maguire played virtually every game?

what are the other options that he should have been tried?
Only really Branthwaite has come through this year and I think he'll get in the squad. Guehi at Palace has played a few games.

At left back there really aren't many other options than Shaw & Chilwell, it's a weak area for England. Mitchell from palace has a few caps but Dan Burn the only other option When you are down to the 4th choice it's not really something you can blame the manager for
Southgate’s replacement. on 08:20 - May 21 with 548 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 19:14 - May 20 by lassel

I see it the other way, the PL have to prove that City’s sponsorships are not ‘real’, which is going to be nigh on impossible to do, especially as City will have Etihad’s CEO turn up and say it’s a real sponsorship and they got their moneys worth which is what happened at CAS.

The real success at City has been building a machine that works seamlessly regardless of the chopping and changing of parts.

No, I agree - I meant the perception to fans is very unlikely to change. Legally, of course they'll win.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 08:55 - May 21 with 528 viewsTheChef

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:44 - May 20 by paulparker

England are not going to win the next World Cup certainly not if it’s the US and Mexico in the height of summer it doesn’t matter who manages them, our best chance is this Euros but as soon as we come against a Spain or a France we are out as Southgate doesn’t have the belief or the tactical nous

Yes the defence and goalkeeper are the weak points.

And because of that Southgate opts to give them more protection, rather than outscore the opposition which we are more than capable of. And which is of course far more exciting.

Ho hum.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Southgate’s replacement. on 09:06 - May 21 with 494 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 08:55 - May 21 by TheChef

Yes the defence and goalkeeper are the weak points.

And because of that Southgate opts to give them more protection, rather than outscore the opposition which we are more than capable of. And which is of course far more exciting.

Ho hum.

it's also far more risk of not working, international football usually sees the best defence and more pragmatic team win the tournaments rather than the best attack. France have the best of both worlds at the moment which is why they should be favourites
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024