Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate’s replacement. 10:33 - May 20 with 8808 viewsSnipper

With Southgate more than likely going after this summers Euro’s, who do you think will replace him, or who would you like?

Personally, I think the FA should beak the bank and go for Pep Guardiola. I honestly think that if he’d have been in charge for the last two tournaments, England would already be European and World champions.
Southgate’s replacement. on 06:39 - May 22 with 1034 viewsnix

Southgate’s replacement. on 21:06 - May 21 by DannyPaddox

English supporters wanting a foreign manager to manage England. Desperate & embarrassing. Embarrassing & desperate.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think France, Germany, Spain or Italy have ever countenanced having anyone but a manager from their country managing their country.

If we’re gonna have World Cups, & nationalism, and jingoism-lite, then let’s have World Cups, & nationalism, and jingoism-lite. Ya can’t start going ooh let’s have a foreign manager cos the English managers aren’t good enough. Okay you can but it’s pathetic.

I agree in principle that we should always have English managers, but then when you look at those in the frame in past years, you can kind of see why not. Two of them have been our managers and absolutely terrible even for us - Redknapp (who didn't get it because of the court case) and McClaren. Sam Allardyce - I mean - Sam frigging Allardyce.

I don't see France, Germany, Italy or Spain having someone so limited as their potential manager. It's different when you have people like Terry Venables or Bobby Robson to choose from, who'd both managed abroad and brought in a lot of fresh ideas. But we have over the years had far too many managers that made the Ron Manager character less like a parody and more like an accurate portrayal!

Those kind of characters seem to be slipping out of the game now and the influence of managers like Guardiola and Klopp are spreading across the leagues. Having said that I would say the three best managers in the Championship are all from overseas: McKenna, Marti and Rohl. But there are other potential good candidates like Rob Edwards, Mark Robins, Will Still and Eddie Howe who have all got a much more well rounded understanding of the game than the old dinosaurs.
Southgate’s replacement. on 06:57 - May 22 with 1021 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 23:09 - May 21 by Antti_Heinola

depressing if true. Got embarrassed in his last game for England. I don't mind him in the squad, mind, as a nice bloke around the camp, but not at Branthwaite's expense.

I don't think that will be the choice, few other centre halves more likely to be left out than Branthwaite. One thing I'd say on Dunk is like Coady in the last Euros he may well be there for what he gives off the pitch as much as on it. Also he may well go with players who can also play full back like Konsa and Gomez

One thing with Southgate is he is very good at creating a happy camp which is why i can't see him creating a potential Gazza situation and letting Grealish go at the last minute, that creates a big story and he tends not to want extra noise going into these tournaments
Southgate’s replacement. on 07:03 - May 22 with 1007 viewsSydneyRs

Southgate’s replacement. on 06:39 - May 22 by nix

I agree in principle that we should always have English managers, but then when you look at those in the frame in past years, you can kind of see why not. Two of them have been our managers and absolutely terrible even for us - Redknapp (who didn't get it because of the court case) and McClaren. Sam Allardyce - I mean - Sam frigging Allardyce.

I don't see France, Germany, Italy or Spain having someone so limited as their potential manager. It's different when you have people like Terry Venables or Bobby Robson to choose from, who'd both managed abroad and brought in a lot of fresh ideas. But we have over the years had far too many managers that made the Ron Manager character less like a parody and more like an accurate portrayal!

Those kind of characters seem to be slipping out of the game now and the influence of managers like Guardiola and Klopp are spreading across the leagues. Having said that I would say the three best managers in the Championship are all from overseas: McKenna, Marti and Rohl. But there are other potential good candidates like Rob Edwards, Mark Robins, Will Still and Eddie Howe who have all got a much more well rounded understanding of the game than the old dinosaurs.

Rather like we are seeing in modern English players, we are starting to see younger English managers come through who are more studied in the technical and tactical aspects of the game. Our whole system has gone more this way which has seen us churn out many talented young players in recent years. Long may it continue.

The technical side is where our managers have generally been lacking (with the odd exception like Venables) in the past with our up and at em, pashun attitude. I don't know that our coaching is mature enough yet to compete with the best international coaches but I think we'll get there soon though, you only have to look at how much better our players are now on a technical level and senior coaches will follow.

Southgate has been excellent in building a culture and with his man management. I don't think an England squad has ever been so together. But he's no master tactician as we know. Not his fault. The comment earlier in this thread about what would he have done at Man City vs what Pep has done was a good call. But he should be praised for what he has built/achieved and thanked assuming he moves on.

I look at the development that has turned GB into a powerhouse at the olympics over the last 20 years as very promising. When I moved to Australia they used to laugh at how poor we were, but we've trounced them in the last few games. Football is a harder nut to crack as it is so globally competitive in comparison to any other sport and margins so fine in the biggest games, but we are on the right track.
[Post edited 22 May 7:06]
Southgate’s replacement. on 08:07 - May 22 with 951 viewsdenhamhoop2

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:53 - May 21 by Northernr

As a small aside I'd like to improve everybody's mood by telling you the three goalkeeprs called up for the U17s are called: Spike Grits, Douglass Lukjanciks and Oliver Whatmuff.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Watched them win 4 0 v France great to see one of the strikers plays for Port Vale hope this will teach parents of promising youngsters that actually playing competitive football 16-20 is so much better for their development not only as footballers but people. At the academies you are by and large more or less still at college/school being told everything in the garden is lovely well real life ain't like that and sometimes the truth hurts
Southgate’s replacement. on 08:17 - May 22 with 934 viewsdenhamhoop2

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:49 - May 20 by daveB

he doesn't have the players either imo
We could win it but so could Germany, France, Spain and Portugal.

We've got no left back, 2 first choice centre halves not playing regular and a puzzle for where to fit in Foden whilst still having protection for the back 4 in midfield

Could also throw in the goalkeeper only Pickford is first choice for his club still think left back shouldn't be as much a problem as Southgate makes it we know Shaw is injured a lot but why not Mitchell of Palace surely the next cab off the rank. Personally would be tempted to play Walker centre back with Stones and go with TTA at right back and basically try to out score the better opposition. Just think with our mentality we are better on the front foot trying to win games than grind out wins
Southgate’s replacement. on 09:39 - May 22 with 840 viewsTheChef

Grealish is a Southgate loyalist and is almost bound to go - if nothing else he's good for falling over and winning free kicks.

You can be sure whatever team Southgate picks for the first game, people will be unhappy.

Not overly fussed about the gk and defence selection (our weak point whichever way you look at it), the rest I would hope is:

Rice Bellingham

Saka Foden Eze (I know in my dreams)

Kane

If Gallagher (the new Mason Mount) starts then I give up.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Southgate’s replacement. on 09:50 - May 22 with 803 viewsGus_iom

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:36 - May 21 by BAWHoops

His record against the top 10 in competitive games (Euros, World Cup, Qualifiers and Nations League) is

P18
W 6
D 3
L 9

I've counted the Euro's final as a draw

'86ing it
Southgate’s replacement. on 09:52 - May 22 with 780 viewsTK1

Southgate’s replacement. on 21:06 - May 21 by DannyPaddox

English supporters wanting a foreign manager to manage England. Desperate & embarrassing. Embarrassing & desperate.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think France, Germany, Spain or Italy have ever countenanced having anyone but a manager from their country managing their country.

If we’re gonna have World Cups, & nationalism, and jingoism-lite, then let’s have World Cups, & nationalism, and jingoism-lite. Ya can’t start going ooh let’s have a foreign manager cos the English managers aren’t good enough. Okay you can but it’s pathetic.

There are currently three English managers in the PL who didn't see their team relegated this season: Eddie Howe, top-placed at seven with the sovereign wealth fund of Saudi Arabia behind him, Gary O'Neil doing a good at Wolves at 14th and Shaun Dyche getting up and at 'em with Everton at 15th.

Three English managers out of 17 (unless you fancy Rob Edwards or Chris Wilder?)

There are three Spanish managers of teams in the top four, all in very different circumstances doing remarkable work.

There are no English managers in the top Spanish, Italian or German leagues, one in France.

So far, the two managers promoted from the Championship are not English. The third could be, but could also be German. Imagine Russell Martin as England manager.

We have built the richest league in the world, with (mostly, for now, until PSR lures them to higher wages elsewhere) the best players, the best managers - none of which are English.

There are no Englishman to choose from. It's thirty years too late for jingoism: for that to work, PL clubs needed to be in majority-owned British hands, with a forced % of British coaches at each. Unworkable, and let's face it, a bit crap. No Marti, no party.

Instead, England has dozens of technically world class players the like we've rarely had before, yet no Englishmen to get the most of them. Every level of football in England is already corrupted by money:it's too late to make the England manager's that one last place holding out with principles that also weaken it. Just get the best manager for the players available.
Login to get fewer ads

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:25 - May 22 with 698 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 08:07 - May 22 by denhamhoop2

Watched them win 4 0 v France great to see one of the strikers plays for Port Vale hope this will teach parents of promising youngsters that actually playing competitive football 16-20 is so much better for their development not only as footballers but people. At the academies you are by and large more or less still at college/school being told everything in the garden is lovely well real life ain't like that and sometimes the truth hurts

It's not binary.
People keep saying this, but I'm not sure what the evidence is exactly.
England has been producing technical talents on a level not seen in our history. People criticise the academy system, but Palmer, Foden, Saka etc etc all came through it. But for some players, yes, maybe playing at a lower level and getting experience quickly can be a good thing (Bellingham a superb, if outlying example). both routes can produce great players. Palmer and Saka and Foden all seem like fantastic, grounded, decent humans to me. They're not all like certain players closer to home.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 12:14 - May 22 with 630 viewsloftboy

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:25 - May 22 by Antti_Heinola

It's not binary.
People keep saying this, but I'm not sure what the evidence is exactly.
England has been producing technical talents on a level not seen in our history. People criticise the academy system, but Palmer, Foden, Saka etc etc all came through it. But for some players, yes, maybe playing at a lower level and getting experience quickly can be a good thing (Bellingham a superb, if outlying example). both routes can produce great players. Palmer and Saka and Foden all seem like fantastic, grounded, decent humans to me. They're not all like certain players closer to home.

I know he can’t help what he looks like but Foden (if he had t made it at football) looks like a bloke you’d see cycling around the moss side dealing crack!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Southgate’s replacement. on 13:21 - May 22 with 524 viewshantssi

Southgate’s replacement. on 12:14 - May 22 by loftboy

I know he can’t help what he looks like but Foden (if he had t made it at football) looks like a bloke you’d see cycling around the moss side dealing crack!!

Looks like he should be in Young Offenders!
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:30 - May 22 with 433 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 12:14 - May 22 by loftboy

Does he? Can't say that's ever crossed my mind.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 17:20 - May 22 with 342 viewsSimonJames

Surely Beale is a shoo-in for this isn't he?

100% of people who drink water will die.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024