Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 86979 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 08:06 - May 27 with 1818 viewsdmm

Fewer people trust politicians and Parliament than at any point in my lifetime. The corruption and lies on all sides have been repeatedly exposed and that's on top of the sheer incompetence of successive governments over several decades.

To make matters worse, there's no way of giving an alternative to the two parties that dominate our political system a chance to change things.

It's not only the UK, of course, and this is happening all over. The rise of the far right in Europe and elsewhere is but one indication of the dissatisfaction felt by so many.

Sorry to be depressing but it's almost impossible to be anything other than negative about the demise of systems and structures we're witnessing around us. Our comfy and familiar world, largely created after the end of WW2, no longer works. It may well take another cataclysmic event to reboot it.
General Election Thread on 08:14 - May 27 with 1805 viewsCamberleyR

General Election Thread on 07:23 - May 27 by Wegerles_Stairs

Surprised the Tories haven't pledged to reintroduce the death penalty as that would be far more popular than national service. Plus they could sell themselves as the party of law and order against the man who failed to prosecute Jimmy Savile.

"Plus they could sell themselves as the party of law and order against the man who failed to prosecute Jimmy Savile"

Bringing up that lazy trope again. The DPP doesn't have the final decision on every person that the CPS does or doesn't prosecute, that is left to individual reviewing lawyers.
https://fullfact.org/online/keir-starmer-prosecute-jimmy-savile/

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

General Election Thread on 08:45 - May 27 with 1738 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 08:14 - May 27 by CamberleyR

"Plus they could sell themselves as the party of law and order against the man who failed to prosecute Jimmy Savile"

Bringing up that lazy trope again. The DPP doesn't have the final decision on every person that the CPS does or doesn't prosecute, that is left to individual reviewing lawyers.
https://fullfact.org/online/keir-starmer-prosecute-jimmy-savile/

I think (hope anyway) he meant that’ll be the rhetoric they go for which I expect it will be but there are somehow still people who buy it.
General Election Thread on 09:09 - May 27 with 1685 viewsplasmahoop

General Election Thread on 07:59 - May 27 by Gus_iom

Yeah, it's becoming a career path, some of these people have no experience of the 'real' work environment at all. And they will be led by civil servants who are much the same.
So far, this election seems only to be widening the fissures that already exist in our society, without offering any solutions

Very true. On both sides far too many of them have just gone to university and joined either main party as a career choice. It doesn't work, Matt Hancock was a prime example of this. The Labour candidate in my area one year was 19. He didn't stand any chance of getting in, but he probably will do somewhere this time.
Of the labour shadow cabinet, the one I think is most impressive is Stephen Reid, and when you go through them he is the only one with any business experience.
General Election Thread on 09:39 - May 27 with 1618 viewsnix

General Election Thread on 09:09 - May 27 by plasmahoop

Very true. On both sides far too many of them have just gone to university and joined either main party as a career choice. It doesn't work, Matt Hancock was a prime example of this. The Labour candidate in my area one year was 19. He didn't stand any chance of getting in, but he probably will do somewhere this time.
Of the labour shadow cabinet, the one I think is most impressive is Stephen Reid, and when you go through them he is the only one with any business experience.

Yes. Two others ended up as our PM with very little experience of anything other than nepotism and privilege: Boris Johnson and David Cameron, both Eton and Oxbridge and neither with any business experience - Cameron with a direct line into Conservative Central Office and Johnson with just writing about how the world works through jobs he initially got because of who he knew.
General Election Thread on 09:50 - May 27 with 1609 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 09:09 - May 27 by plasmahoop

Good player too at Blackburn.
General Election Thread on 11:44 - May 27 with 1494 viewsplasmahoop

General Election Thread on 09:39 - May 27 by nix

Yes. Two others ended up as our PM with very little experience of anything other than nepotism and privilege: Boris Johnson and David Cameron, both Eton and Oxbridge and neither with any business experience - Cameron with a direct line into Conservative Central Office and Johnson with just writing about how the world works through jobs he initially got because of who he knew.

I thought Cameron was a decent Pm though, whereas Johnson was a horrific disaster
General Election Thread on 12:21 - May 27 with 1457 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 11:44 - May 27 by plasmahoop

I thought Cameron was a decent Pm though, whereas Johnson was a horrific disaster

Cameron, the man who thought he could solve the Tories' internal bickering by holding an EU referendum resulting in Brexit, an economic nightmare from which the country will not recover for many years hence.

Oh yeah, he was really decent.
[Post edited 27 May 12:27]
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 13:34 - May 27 with 1387 viewsnix

General Election Thread on 12:21 - May 27 by dmm

Cameron, the man who thought he could solve the Tories' internal bickering by holding an EU referendum resulting in Brexit, an economic nightmare from which the country will not recover for many years hence.

Yep.

I suppose if you believe that Brexit is anything other than an embarrassment and an unmitigated disaster then you might think he was an okay PM....

My point stands though that he doesn't have enough understanding of the average person's lives or how businesses work. Also he is too inbred with the yaboo side of politics and treating it all as a game, which is why he didn't consider the wider implications of playing chicken with his backbenchers over Brexit.
General Election Thread on 14:34 - May 27 with 1323 viewsplasmahoop

General Election Thread on 13:34 - May 27 by nix

Yep.

I suppose if you believe that Brexit is anything other than an embarrassment and an unmitigated disaster then you might think he was an okay PM....

My point stands though that he doesn't have enough understanding of the average person's lives or how businesses work. Also he is too inbred with the yaboo side of politics and treating it all as a game, which is why he didn't consider the wider implications of playing chicken with his backbenchers over Brexit.

His big misjudgement was that they were lagging badly in the polls, and so he tried to buy back some ukip votes by pledging a referendum. I don't think he expected to get a majority. In my opinion though,, he was decent in thd 2010-15 period, and I thought the coalition worked well. But that referendum was a cock up and they have turned to shit since
General Election Thread on 15:08 - May 27 with 1252 viewsCamberleyR

Plus his and Osborne's political choice of austerity which the IMF called unnecessarily harsh and deep and counterproductive in the long run which most of our public services are still feeling the effect of today.

The economy just before the 2010 election was starting to recover and austerity killed that recovery stone dead.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

General Election Thread on 16:05 - May 27 with 1185 viewsBostonR

I live in the Chiltern Hills - real Tory land. In the past, you could put a cat up for election as long as it was a Tory and it would win!
At the weekend the local Tories were out and about and I am not kidding when I say they were being verbally assaulted by one and all. It was aggressive and loud, with everyone taking a turn to have their say.
I thought to myself, it's over for the Tories, but I am not sure they understand how much of car-crash it is going to be for them. The one-nation Tories are all gone and you can see a Trump-type outfit developing from the ashes, after the election fire, with some rather nasty individuals re-shaping the Tory landscape.
You can almost hear their battle cry "I want my country back". Having moved back to the UK from the US we really need to avoid that mantra - it will be dangerous for us all.
General Election Thread on 16:41 - May 27 with 1127 viewsWatfordR

General Election Thread on 16:05 - May 27 by BostonR

I live in the Chiltern Hills - real Tory land. In the past, you could put a cat up for election as long as it was a Tory and it would win!
At the weekend the local Tories were out and about and I am not kidding when I say they were being verbally assaulted by one and all. It was aggressive and loud, with everyone taking a turn to have their say.
I thought to myself, it's over for the Tories, but I am not sure they understand how much of car-crash it is going to be for them. The one-nation Tories are all gone and you can see a Trump-type outfit developing from the ashes, after the election fire, with some rather nasty individuals re-shaping the Tory landscape.
You can almost hear their battle cry "I want my country back". Having moved back to the UK from the US we really need to avoid that mantra - it will be dangerous for us all.

I'd have to agree with almost every word there. Had a quick look online for what price the Tories to end up with less than 100 seats and the best price is 3/1!!

Listen to the members of the public being interviewed. Not one appears to suggest they'll vote Tory. Even died in the wool Tories will find it hard to actually vote for them, and more likely abstain.

I also share your concern about what the Conservative Party will look like in 5 years. I suspect it will be a more extreme UKIP/Reform in all but name. I just cannot see what Labour can do that will make things look any better by 2029/30.
General Election Thread on 17:26 - May 27 with 1066 viewsplasmahoop

General Election Thread on 16:41 - May 27 by WatfordR

I'd have to agree with almost every word there. Had a quick look online for what price the Tories to end up with less than 100 seats and the best price is 3/1!!

Listen to the members of the public being interviewed. Not one appears to suggest they'll vote Tory. Even died in the wool Tories will find it hard to actually vote for them, and more likely abstain.

I also share your concern about what the Conservative Party will look like in 5 years. I suspect it will be a more extreme UKIP/Reform in all but name. I just cannot see what Labour can do that will make things look any better by 2029/30.

Whilst I share your concerns about what the tories will look like in a few years, sometimes things turn out differently. Less than five years ago the tories won a stonking majority, and Labour looked knackered after corbyn. Now they are on the cusp of the walloping majority. Who can tell
General Election Thread on 17:38 - May 27 with 1040 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Have we got 5 more weeks of this?
General Election Thread on 17:41 - May 27 with 1032 viewsDavieQPR

We might have voted for Brexit but we never really got it because the politicians didn't want it. Doesn't matter who you vote for you lose anyway.
General Election Thread on 18:06 - May 27 with 958 viewsQPR_John

That point of view is interesting. You are blaming Cameron for holding a EU referendum but the result showed a majority wanted out. So in your words the public should not have been given the chance to vote. Maybe in the future some government may adopt that attitude.
General Election Thread on 18:16 - May 27 with 944 viewsterryb

General Election Thread on 16:05 - May 27 by BostonR

The conservatives appear to be very worried about reclaiming Chesham & Amersham as Rishi was campaigning at The Meadow, Chesham United FC today!

All my relatives still living in Chesham are expecting it to stay with the Lib Dems, but none of them expected the tories to lose it at the by-election! HS2 & Brexit (in no particular order) will ever be forgiven in the area.
General Election Thread on 18:18 - May 27 with 941 viewshubble

This, IMHO, is utter nonsense. Yet this supposed truism is repeated ad infinitum by remainers (plenty are agreeing with you on here). In terms of GDP only Germany currently outperforms the UK of all the countries in the EU.

The lockdowns have had a far more detrimental effect on the UK economy than Brexit. Sterling is stronger than the Euro. In the longer term Brexit could prove a blessing if/when the Euro project goes tits up.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

General Election Thread on 18:27 - May 27 with 934 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 18:06 - May 27 by QPR_John

That point of view is interesting. You are blaming Cameron for holding a EU referendum but the result showed a majority wanted out. So in your words the public should not have been given the chance to vote. Maybe in the future some government may adopt that attitude.

First, Cameron called the referendum so he is 'to blame' pure and simple.

But more importantly, although you're correct there was a small majority for Brexit, the pro Brexit campaign was riddled with promises that have never been nor will ever be realised, and people fell for those promises. Today things are very different. A poll just a few months ago showed 63% want the UK to rejoin the EU.
General Election Thread on 18:29 - May 27 with 932 viewsderbyhoop

And, as soon as he got the result, he cut and ran. Leaving others to clear up the mess. That went so well.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 18:37 - May 27 with 919 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 18:18 - May 27 by hubble

This, IMHO, is utter nonsense. Yet this supposed truism is repeated ad infinitum by remainers (plenty are agreeing with you on here). In terms of GDP only Germany currently outperforms the UK of all the countries in the EU.

The lockdowns have had a far more detrimental effect on the UK economy than Brexit. Sterling is stronger than the Euro. In the longer term Brexit could prove a blessing if/when the Euro project goes tits up.

It wasn't that long ago that the chairman of the Office for Budget Responsibility said the impact of Brexit on the UK economy will be worse in the long run compared to the coronavirus pandemic.

Trading businesses small and large have been negatively affected by Brexit. The FT regularly reports this.

I've still to see any benefits of Brexit including the blatant Brexit bus lie of £350m a week for the NHS.
[Post edited 27 May 18:39]
General Election Thread on 18:48 - May 27 with 894 viewskensalriser

General Election Thread on 17:41 - May 27 by DavieQPR

We might have voted for Brexit but we never really got it because the politicians didn't want it. Doesn't matter who you vote for you lose anyway.

We never got Brexit? That's just silly. We got a far more extreme Brexit than anyone on the leave campaign could possibly have hoped (at the time no one was seriously suggesting we'd even leave the customs union). The people who really backed it - the super rich, oligarchs and funny money tax exiles etc - did get exactly what they wanted though, which was to get Crown dependency tax havens out of the scrutiny of the EU. All the other stuff was just window dressing.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

General Election Thread on 18:49 - May 27 with 894 viewsEsox_Lucius

General Election Thread on 18:06 - May 27 by QPR_John

You are discounting the proven illegality of the leave campaign, including the targeting of the elderly with fear mongering ads. Cambridge Analytica were disgraced within months of the advisory fererendum result.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/24/brexit-whistleblower-cambridge-

The grass is always greener.

General Election Thread on 18:54 - May 27 with 881 viewsQPR_John

General Election Thread on 18:27 - May 27 by dmm

First, Cameron called the referendum so he is 'to blame' pure and simple.

But more importantly, although you're correct there was a small majority for Brexit, the pro Brexit campaign was riddled with promises that have never been nor will ever be realised, and people fell for those promises. Today things are very different. A poll just a few months ago showed 63% want the UK to rejoin the EU.

Again you are saying Cameron should not have called the referendum but have not said why. The only conclusion is that you know better than the great unwashed. Maybe you think only a select group including you of course should decide who runs the country.

“ the pro Brexit campaign was riddled with promises that have never been nor will ever be realised, and people fell for those promises.”

And the next few weeks!!!!!
[Post edited 27 May 19:01]
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024