Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eng v Den 18:40 - Jun 20 with 5374 viewsRodingdale

A beautiful illustration of how walking football, even with talented players, is dull to watch and how it stifles what talent you have. Probably the worst performance so far in the entire tournament with arguably the most talented group.
Eng v Den on 19:08 - Jun 20 with 3581 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Looks like Garry Southgate has been using the McNulty Manual of Shite football.....it was just like watching our lot in our prime ......as Alan Shearer said in the 47th minute "England are all over the place" and it certainly did n't get any better. From top to bottom England were poor. At least he didn't leave it till 85 mins to try a change and it did help but players like Rice were a shadow of what we see week in week out.Bizarre.

Give Palmer and Gordon a run out .
Eng v Den on 19:15 - Jun 20 with 3561 viewsClitheroeDale

If you were a Central midfielder and a Wing back was being picked over you, you'd be gutted. Shocking performance.
[Post edited 20 Jun 19:16]
Eng v Den on 19:42 - Jun 20 with 3478 viewssurb_dale

Have thought that in both games so far that this is just like watching Dale from last season. Slow, lethargic build-up, no intensity, always looking to pass back rather than forward, constantly recycling back to the centre halves rather than getting a cross in. And Saka (Hayes) being the only one trying to make something happen. At international level this used to be the common way of playing but so far England are an outlier playing in this way. Even some of the lesser sides like Georgia are playing effective, higher intensity stuff. I just hope McNulty wasnt sat admiring what he saw today in Frankfurt.
Eng v Den on 19:43 - Jun 20 with 3469 views_Windydale

Brings back memories of Dale performances last season which demoralised the fanbase.That was a hard watch. The good point was the solid defending of the young lad in defence and the honest commentary of shearer, and the pundits picking apart the tactica and performance.
Eng v Den on 19:53 - Jun 20 with 3429 viewsRodingdale

Eng v Den on 19:42 - Jun 20 by surb_dale

Have thought that in both games so far that this is just like watching Dale from last season. Slow, lethargic build-up, no intensity, always looking to pass back rather than forward, constantly recycling back to the centre halves rather than getting a cross in. And Saka (Hayes) being the only one trying to make something happen. At international level this used to be the common way of playing but so far England are an outlier playing in this way. Even some of the lesser sides like Georgia are playing effective, higher intensity stuff. I just hope McNulty wasnt sat admiring what he saw today in Frankfurt.

Worth noting our co chair “Enjoys the football Jim has us playing”. He must find Shearers punditry bewildering.
Eng v Den on 20:10 - Jun 20 with 3359 views442Dale

While that was awful to watch, it was completely different issues to those at Dale. At least we can pass the ball properly most of the time!

Tactically England are set up to sit deep and defend, that’s on Southgate. As is his decision to allow Kane to drop deep. Whatever we all think about McNulty, you can at least see what his tactics hope to achieve, even though they need to be more varied. With England it’s a “get a goal, see the game out” mentality that has come up short far too often.

Chalk and cheese. Well, apart from the frustration attached.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Eng v Den on 20:24 - Jun 20 with 3324 viewskel

Eng v Den on 19:53 - Jun 20 by Rodingdale

Worth noting our co chair “Enjoys the football Jim has us playing”. He must find Shearers punditry bewildering.

It could always be worth seeing what the new season brings given the amount of positive news coming out of the club recently. Hopefully it’ll rub off on people.
Eng v Den on 20:30 - Jun 20 with 3324 viewsrobshaker

when he's gone we will win stuff he only got the job coz big sam got bent over
Login to get fewer ads

Eng v Den on 09:36 - Jun 21 with 2968 viewsDale_4_Life

Eng v Den on 19:42 - Jun 20 by surb_dale

Agreed with the analogy of Dale last season.

Turgid, pedestrian, boring, stifling = costing 2 points.

The players interviews at the end an embarrassment. Southgate is responsible and needs change things and quickly or its a last 16 exit for sure.

A lesson in how to turn world class players into stumps layed out right there last night.

Agree i hope Big Jim is equally as bored watching England and the penny drops that this is just a trend of the moment and he wants to become a firestarter that can ignite Dale come August.

On the basis of the tactics employed in our games V Serbia and Denmark England will find it almost impossible to make the quarter final playing like this.
[Post edited 21 Jun 9:37]
Eng v Den on 11:11 - Jun 21 with 2828 viewssamueloneils

What is even more remarkable and I am sure is unique is that Kane, Bellingham and Foden have scored 95 goals between them this season.
Kane 44 for Bayern Munich
Bellingham 26 for Real Madrid
and Foden 25 for Man City

Yet their shots on goal in matches against secondary opposition over 2 games has been pathetic.

Defence has been OK so far-better than expected. Midfield woeful.
Eng v Den on 12:46 - Jun 21 with 2677 viewsdawlishdale

Staggeringly similar to watching Dale under Jim (and before). Only difference is that the England players are a much higher quality, but nevertheless, they are, like Dale, made to play a defensive game which frustrates players and fans alike.

England have possibly the strongest squad I can remember for a long time, yet Denmark out thought and outplayed us for long periods whilst a very average Serbia could easily have scored in the second half.

The outpouring of criticism aimed at Southgate's tactics from pretty much every pundit speaks loudly that this type of football is not good to watch. Hopefully, we can change things up considerably.
Eng v Den on 13:21 - Jun 21 with 2595 views442Dale

Eng v Den on 20:10 - Jun 20 by 442Dale

While that was awful to watch, it was completely different issues to those at Dale. At least we can pass the ball properly most of the time!

Tactically England are set up to sit deep and defend, that’s on Southgate. As is his decision to allow Kane to drop deep. Whatever we all think about McNulty, you can at least see what his tactics hope to achieve, even though they need to be more varied. With England it’s a “get a goal, see the game out” mentality that has come up short far too often.

Chalk and cheese. Well, apart from the frustration attached.

The differences between England’s and Dale’s style of play are clarified further in this Twitter thread. The only similarity is the supporter frustration when either team is not playing in its most effective manner.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Eng v Den on 13:48 - Jun 21 with 2525 views49thseason

Nothing wrong with playing long if Kane had been anywhere near the penalty area (theirs not his own) ... one touch in the opponents area is shocking, OK he scored, but he needed to strech the pitch and force their defenders closer to their own goal, not ponce about in midfield. Who was Saha supposed to cross to?
England have a left back problem, Trippier is a decent player, but he is not going to get away playing as a right footed left back at this level, nor was Alexander-Arnold going to suddenly become a midfielder, or Foden a left Winger. To misquote Eric Morecambe , all the right players, not neccessarily in the right places....Southgate is middle management, not bad but not great, we need a brilliant managing director who knows how make things work properly.
Eng v Den on 14:15 - Jun 21 with 2464 viewsfrenzied

Yes it was awful to watch

Best game so far by a mile was Turkey v Georgia......no tippy tappy crap

A joy to watch in dreadful conditions
Eng v Den on 15:07 - Jun 21 with 2368 viewsnordenblue

Eng v Den on 11:11 - Jun 21 by samueloneils

What is even more remarkable and I am sure is unique is that Kane, Bellingham and Foden have scored 95 goals between them this season.
Kane 44 for Bayern Munich
Bellingham 26 for Real Madrid
and Foden 25 for Man City

Yet their shots on goal in matches against secondary opposition over 2 games has been pathetic.

Defence has been OK so far-better than expected. Midfield woeful.

I think Marc Guehi has been excellent so far and doesn't look out of place one bit, fair play to the lad.
Eng v Den on 15:36 - Jun 21 with 2306 views1949er

Whose that sniggering behind his fingers? Ohh it’s Jack Grealish

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Eng v Den on 21:11 - Jun 21 with 2068 viewsrobshaker

watching England is like watching man utd - shit
Eng v Den on 23:03 - Jun 21 with 1962 viewsDaleFan7

Southgate was awful as a football league manager and then spent a lot of time in the youth setups and it shows.

At his disposal he's got the second best goalscorer in Europe in Kane, the best player in the Premier League last season in Foden, the best player in La Liga in Bellingham to name a few and his tactics are absolutely dire. It doesn't matter who is on the bench, his subs are like for like and change nothing in the game.

It must be absolutely mind numbing for those players to go from being coached by people like Pep and Carlo every week to this garbage. There's a reason one of the best managers in the world in Klopp didn't instill Trent into a central midfield position despite it being a weakness for Liverpool, because he isn't one.

Ivory Coast recently sacked their manager mid-tournament and won the African Nations. I suspect England would be capable of the same but the FA have their yes man in place and nothing will change until he decides so.

England have always played this way under Southgate but because we've had easy runs to finals and semi-finals he was seen as some sort of Messiah. Away from Wembley England's record against teams ranked in the top 10 in the world in knock out football is played 13 won 0. I can't see that changing in this Euros.
[Post edited 21 Jun 23:09]
Eng v Den on 09:28 - Jun 22 with 1762 viewsisitme

The mindset is all wrong. Too much what might the opposition do and not enough we have a number of really good players how can we use them to hurt the opposition. Also if we do get a lead we sit back rather than push on. If he managed Man City they would probably finish 6th and there would be no player development.

I would argue that with the players at his disposal we have under achieved.
Eng v Den on 10:33 - Jun 22 with 1697 viewsDale_4_Life

Eng v Den on 09:28 - Jun 22 by isitme

The mindset is all wrong. Too much what might the opposition do and not enough we have a number of really good players how can we use them to hurt the opposition. Also if we do get a lead we sit back rather than push on. If he managed Man City they would probably finish 6th and there would be no player development.

I would argue that with the players at his disposal we have under achieved.

Dale?

England?

Or Both?
Eng v Den on 22:51 - Jun 24 with 1219 viewsD_Alien

By dint of the "third place" qualifying rules, England are through to the last 16 before kicking a ball tomorrow night

Southgate will never get a better in-tournament chance to "free" his players from the shackles that, if retained, will see them fail with as talented a bunch as any England manager has ever had

Will it happen?

This thread has made comparisons between Southgate and McNulty. Last season, survival was the key. The same applies to McNulty. Will that happen?

My money is on "No" in both cases, but tomorrow night we'll see if there's any hope that the freedom to play the game as it was intended can be revived

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Eng v Den on 06:40 - Jun 25 with 1097 viewsDale_4_Life

Eng v Den on 22:51 - Jun 24 by D_Alien

By dint of the "third place" qualifying rules, England are through to the last 16 before kicking a ball tomorrow night

Southgate will never get a better in-tournament chance to "free" his players from the shackles that, if retained, will see them fail with as talented a bunch as any England manager has ever had

Will it happen?

This thread has made comparisons between Southgate and McNulty. Last season, survival was the key. The same applies to McNulty. Will that happen?

My money is on "No" in both cases, but tomorrow night we'll see if there's any hope that the freedom to play the game as it was intended can be revived

I am not holding my breath tonight I suspect it will be more than the same and a low scoring 1-0 to England against a rhetoric of its tournament football and we topped the group.

It might be the same in the last 16 against a 3rd place team but then we head home as QF losers.

Onto Dale...McNulty could be onto something IF he brings in some players capable AND mixes it up a bit so we are not so predictable and easy to play against. Watching the goal of the season highlight reel from last season we scored some amazing goals that came after 20+ passes and several passages of play.

The down side is I have not seen a bloopers reel that show the dangers created by ourselves and how often we shot ourself in the foot.

In 46 games last season we dropped points 30 times (Thirty!!!) i am prepared to give McNulty all my support as he was dealt a pretty shitty hand by the club last season. Next season is different hand and there can be absolutely no excused. The above stat needs to be halved if possible that would place us firmly in the top 6.
Eng v Den on 20:19 - Jun 25 with 876 viewsD_Alien

Christ, what a depressing start

Unfathomable

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Eng v Den on 20:38 - Jun 25 with 846 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Eng v Den on 20:19 - Jun 25 by D_Alien

Christ, what a depressing start

Unfathomable

They say a team is a reflection of their manager.
In this case insipid & bland as fook. Only Southgate could turn some of the best players in Europe into timid shadows of their club selves. Can’t believe the contrast in this game compared to Holland v Austria.
Eng v Den on 22:06 - Jun 25 with 737 viewsrobshaker

look on bright side only been 3 shit games in a great tournament so far.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024