Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread 23:58 - Jun 30 with 16536 viewsNed_Kennedys

Following our rousing success this evening it’s my pleasure to start the next match thread again as we stumble towards Euro success.

Foden and Saka out, Eze and Palmer in.
Centre midfield sorted after Mainoo’s decent performance.
Not sure about LB: stick with Trippier I guess?
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 12:28 - Jul 7 with 1278 viewsGus_iom

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 12:02 - Jul 7 by hubble

I saw that Manx flag, was going to ask you if you saw it. How was it racist??

The esteemed sometime journalist saw it as a randomly waved triskele, a pagan symbol often associated with nazis. Sigh.
Mind you, our foreign secretary believes the colour of smoke sent up by the Vatican on electing a new pope relates to skin colour..
It was good to see the 3 legs of Mann there, although the argument online here is whether a true Manxie could ever support England...sigh again.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 12:46 - Jul 7 with 1230 viewsPunteR

The game itself was pretty pedestrian i thought, compared to the Netherland v Turkey game. There was little flourishes of individual skill and pattens of play but overall i didnt think we did anything remarkable . Great goal by Saka. But those pens we're impressive. Bellingham talked about their individual process leading up to taking the pens and everyone stuck to their own method. That shows to me the amount of work they've all put in. Considering the amount of times we've gone out on penalties over the years, really shows an improvement on the players mindset. Maybe it was JFH influence who knew how to take a pen ? maybe its Southgate's ? but we are grinding out results despite setting the world alight. Tough opponents next, and hopefully Southgate's method of a steady tempo takes some of the whip out of the Netherlands game. I'd take these performances and winning the cup over a more gung ho approach and going out early doors.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 14:10 - Jul 7 with 1122 viewsSnipper

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 20:31 - Jul 6 by Ned_Kennedys

Despite my 100% winning record of England threads I am standing down for the Semi Final as I will be watching the entertaining hip hop band Cypress Hill at Royal Albert Hall that evening.
I’m all Southgated out anyhow: football should entertain.

Hope somebody can step up: perhaps Esox?

He’ll only end up downvoting his own post :-)).

He’ll probably downvote this. 😂😂
[Post edited 7 Jul 14:10]
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 17:17 - Jul 7 with 980 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 21:04 - Jul 7 with 784 viewsJuzzie

This tournament for England is reminding me of our 2013/2014 promotion season.

Winning things usually involves enjoying it along the way. The Division 2/Championship titles under Venables and Warnock, that type of thing.

That 2014 promotion was awful. Yes, we were winning games but it was turgid all along the way, much like this tournament.

Still, we’re almost there so I’d grudgingly take that if it means winning the Euro for the first time and a major international trophy in my lifetime which is already long enough as it is.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 07:25 - Jul 8 with 619 viewsdaveB

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 21:04 - Jul 7 by Juzzie

This tournament for England is reminding me of our 2013/2014 promotion season.

Winning things usually involves enjoying it along the way. The Division 2/Championship titles under Venables and Warnock, that type of thing.

That 2014 promotion was awful. Yes, we were winning games but it was turgid all along the way, much like this tournament.

Still, we’re almost there so I’d grudgingly take that if it means winning the Euro for the first time and a major international trophy in my lifetime which is already long enough as it is.

Is it really that bad? Winning with a last second over head kick and then winning on penalties, I mean we've had worse tournaments
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 07:36 - Jul 8 with 612 viewsJuzzie

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 07:25 - Jul 8 by daveB

Is it really that bad? Winning with a last second over head kick and then winning on penalties, I mean we've had worse tournaments

Oh yes, much worse but they usually lost because of that. My point is that successful teams are often good to watch. It’s not, but we’re getting through. Much like Mourhinho!!
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:51 - Jul 8 with 545 viewsterryb

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 07:25 - Jul 8 by daveB

That describes Italia 1990!

Although not a penalty shootout, Cameroon were beaten by two Gary Lineker penalties.
Login to get fewer ads

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:05 - Jul 8 with 529 viewsdaveB

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 07:36 - Jul 8 by Juzzie

Oh yes, much worse but they usually lost because of that. My point is that successful teams are often good to watch. It’s not, but we’re getting through. Much like Mourhinho!!

Real Madrid were not a great watch in the champions league, France are dull to watch but will probably win the Euros. That brilliant Spain team who won 2 Euros and a World Cup could be a bit boring as well

I just don't know what people are getting out of football if they did not enjoy those two moments of the Bellingham goal and the penalty shoot out
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:48 - Jul 8 with 466 viewsJuzzie

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:05 - Jul 8 by daveB

Real Madrid were not a great watch in the champions league, France are dull to watch but will probably win the Euros. That brilliant Spain team who won 2 Euros and a World Cup could be a bit boring as well

I just don't know what people are getting out of football if they did not enjoy those two moments of the Bellingham goal and the penalty shoot out

I enjoyed those moments, of course, it was the other bits in between that were a bit pedestrian.

Much like the 2014 play off final, 89 minutes of hard watch then wallop!

I'm not expecting Harlem Globetrotter-esque football (though it would be nice!) but just saying that this tournament reminds me of our 2014 promotion season..... not pretty but job done.
[Post edited 8 Jul 11:04]
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 12:43 - Jul 8 with 365 viewsTheChef

It's really not much fun watching this England team - football ideally should be about joy and entertainment, and hopefully winning too. This lot is about enduring, rather than enjoying, the match.

But here we are at another Semi-Final and Southgate appears to have found a way to win, so, er, mustn't grumble I suppose.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024