Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread 23:58 - Jun 30 with 16203 viewsNed_Kennedys

Following our rousing success this evening it’s my pleasure to start the next match thread again as we stumble towards Euro success.

Foden and Saka out, Eze and Palmer in.
Centre midfield sorted after Mainoo’s decent performance.
Not sure about LB: stick with Trippier I guess?
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 21:04 - Jul 6 with 2054 viewsjeffranger

Don’t know how the hell we got through to semi final playing like we have been but will take it, great penalties for a change! wouldn’t play Foden in next game as he has been rubbish, give Palmer a full run out
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 21:16 - Jul 6 with 1982 viewsSunnyVanGo

Wow!
Do you think Sam Allardyce would’ve taken us to three semi finals?
That’s what Southgate stepped in to.
How hard is it to get to three semi finals (including a final)?
That’s what Southgate has done.

Could we do it easier - subjective?

Entitled opinions such as ‘we should be better because of the players we got’ don’t win football matches or hearts and minds.

Could we do better? I hope so, but just now it’s a joy to see these players doing well.
International football is so tough.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 21:40 - Jul 6 with 1884 viewshubble

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 21:16 - Jul 6 by SunnyVanGo

Wow!

Entitled opinions such as ‘we should be better because of the players we got’ don’t win football matches or hearts and minds.

Could we do better? I hope so, but just now it’s a joy to see these players doing well.

Fair points.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 21:41 - Jul 6 with 1872 viewshubble

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 20:31 - Jul 6 by Ned_Kennedys

Despite my 100% winning record of England threads I am standing down for the Semi Final as I will be watching the entertaining hip hop band Cypress Hill at Royal Albert Hall that evening.
I’m all Southgated out anyhow: football should entertain.

Hope somebody can step up: perhaps Esox?

With respect to my mate, Esox, can't Spaceman do it?
[Post edited 6 Jul 21:42]

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 22:46 - Jul 6 with 1659 viewsLblock

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 21:16 - Jul 6 by SunnyVanGo

Wow!

If you take joy out of what they’ve served up then all credit to you but Jose Moaniho must be Jesus Christ to you

Im ecstatic we’re in the semis but I’m miles away from feeling positive

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 23:35 - Jul 6 with 1538 viewsSunnyVanGo

Yeah. In the end (which is what really matters) I felt joy in Konsa’s performance, Saka’s performance and goal, and then his penalty, in Eze’s contribution, in the delight on the faces of those fans who spent big to be there.

Pubs, restaurants, media outlets, businesses will all feel the benefit of another England game.

Yeah, I felt joy. I’m sure that’s okay with you?
You don’t have to feel it too. That’s okay. But knowing other people are joyful maybe helpful or of interest - I dunno.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 00:01 - Jul 7 with 1466 viewsHooparoo

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 23:35 - Jul 6 by SunnyVanGo

Yeah. In the end (which is what really matters) I felt joy in Konsa’s performance, Saka’s performance and goal, and then his penalty, in Eze’s contribution, in the delight on the faces of those fans who spent big to be there.

Pubs, restaurants, media outlets, businesses will all feel the benefit of another England game.

You don’t have to feel it too. That’s okay. But knowing other people are joyful maybe helpful or of interest - I dunno.

I enjoy watching England and am glad when they do well. I can only imagine the incredible pressure they must be under and to witness the unrestrained joy after the successful penalty shootout was great to see. I hope England win the whole thing as it would be great for football as well as getting rid of a very old monkey off your back.

If Eze gets the winner in the final you’ll hear a very loud “Urrrs!” all the way from East Brisbane.

Good luck England 😎⚽️

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 00:05 - Jul 7 with 1465 viewsCLAREMAN1995

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 20:11 - Jul 6 by Juzzie

Same could be said of the Swiss goalie? Didn’t really get near any of ours.

2 goalies on the line would not stop some of those English lazers they were amazing .This is not our Fathers England from the spot anymore and that was without Kane taking one.
fair play to Palmer that took some balls but I knew he had the right stuff .
A quick word on the Swiss keeper i have never rated him going back through the years he has always looked shaky.Why was Akanji taking a PK he looked totally lost and I thought they made 2 late subs to get shooters on.
Pickford saved England late in extra time that was so massive fair due to him
Login to get fewer ads

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 02:32 - Jul 7 with 1312 viewsrbee

We were not lucky, football matches are rarely won and lost with luck.

You could say that we have reached the Semi Finals inspite of Gareth Southgate.

The penalties were sublime taken with supreme confidence and ability. A small glimpse of what our players could produce with a more forward thinking manager.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 02:53 - Jul 7 with 1299 viewsstrikerace

We are playing well except for upfront, we definitely need more movement and aggression. I would take out Kane and put in Watkins, bringing Kane in at the 70 minute or so point, however I don't think Southgate has the nuts to do this. I also think we need to find a way to start Palmer. I don't think its for Foden, it may take a formation change, but we need the attacking mindset out there.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 04:25 - Jul 7 with 1252 viewsSydneyRs

I would say with the exception of Spain, all of the teams people gushed about are now out. Germany, Austria, Turkey, Portugal etc.

You now have England, France, Netherlands and Spain. England and France have ground their way through without setting the world on fire but don't be surprised if they play the final.

England have not played well but do seem to be gradually improving and growing into the tournament. The Swiss are a very decent side so getting past them was no mean feat.

Mentality seems to be good also. The last minute goal v Slovakia and then the winner in early extra time reminded me of Man Utd winning the champions league in 1990 after being second best in the game itself and all but beaten. Again this time getting a late goal after going behind and the apparent confidence in the shootout are good signs. This is the sort of stuff teams that win tournaments do.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 05:06 - Jul 7 with 1227 viewsozexile

I've watched all our games and it finally dawned on me today why we're so predictable. We very rarely face forward towards the oppositions goals. When one of our midfielders or defenders has the ball he's constantly got 2 or 3 teammates running towards him. It completely limits his options on what to do with the ball. And completely negates his space. Any space he has to run forward in to immediately closed off by a player running towards him for the ball. Real real schoolboy stuff. When you've got possession make the field bigger.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 07:36 - Jul 7 with 1120 viewsGus_iom

Lester Holloway, sometime Graunidad writer and head of communications at an oxbridge college, has been giving out about the racist flag on the halfway line, blocking people on his twitter account from my neck of the Irish sea......
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:03 - Jul 7 with 912 viewsEsox_Lucius

Thoughts on a forward thinking manager and some light shed on the penalties.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c72vz40yd43o

The grass is always greener.

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:42 - Jul 7 with 829 viewsBrianMcCarthy

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:03 - Jul 7 by Esox_Lucius

Nice read that, thanks Esox.

Feeds my obsession with penos.

edit - sp. check!
[Post edited 7 Jul 10:56]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:49 - Jul 7 with 806 viewsDesertBoot

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:42 - Jul 7 by BrianMcCarthy

edit - sp. check!

Pickford’s record of 4 saves from 14 tournament penalties is impressive.

Wish I could be like David Watts

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:56 - Jul 7 with 785 viewsBrianMcCarthy

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:49 - Jul 7 by DesertBoot

Pickford’s record of 4 saves from 14 tournament penalties is impressive.

It is. Very.

He made me nervous yesterday, so glad to read that.
He was moving around far too much and not in his set-up in time.
I get why he does it, it's to put off the taker, but I'd like to see him settle down quicker if he has to face penalties again. Not good for the heart!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:01 - Jul 7 with 762 viewsdaveB

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 19:57 - Jul 6 by Ned_Kennedys

Winning on penalties always has luck involved doesn’t it.

And we were lucky to get to penalties at all as Switzerland were the only team trying to score a winner in extra time.

And usual poor team selection/late substitutions/reactive not proactive rubbish.

Anyway we’re through.

if penalties is luck then does that mean we were unlucky in the Euro 2020 final?

3 semi finals in 4 tournaments under Southgate, dome a remarkable job as England manager
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:11 - Jul 7 with 728 viewsSK_hoops

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 20:31 - Jul 6 by Ned_Kennedys

Despite my 100% winning record of England threads I am standing down for the Semi Final as I will be watching the entertaining hip hop band Cypress Hill at Royal Albert Hall that evening.
I’m all Southgated out anyhow: football should entertain.

Hope somebody can step up: perhaps Esox?

I saw cypress hill at a fest at the Millenium dome a while back and they did a 5 minute bongo solo. They were brilliant though.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:14 - Jul 7 with 716 viewsNed_Kennedys

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:01 - Jul 7 by daveB

if penalties is luck then does that mean we were unlucky in the Euro 2020 final?

3 semi finals in 4 tournaments under Southgate, dome a remarkable job as England manager

Yes we were unlucky in the penalties: not unlucky in the 120 minutes that proceeded it though.
Game should never have gone to penalties in the first place.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:15 - Jul 7 with 702 viewsNed_Kennedys

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:03 - Jul 7 by Esox_Lucius

“Forward thinking manager” 😂
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:45 - Jul 7 with 619 viewsconnell10

Imagine England v France final ..both playing sterile football.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 12:02 - Jul 7 with 562 viewshubble

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 07:36 - Jul 7 by Gus_iom

Lester Holloway, sometime Graunidad writer and head of communications at an oxbridge college, has been giving out about the racist flag on the halfway line, blocking people on his twitter account from my neck of the Irish sea......

I saw that Manx flag, was going to ask you if you saw it. How was it racist??

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 12:22 - Jul 7 with 512 viewsGus_iom

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:42 - Jul 7 by BrianMcCarthy

edit - sp. check!

😆 I think I can see what might have happened there 😆😆😆
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 12:28 - Jul 7 with 493 viewsMick_S

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 23:35 - Jul 6 by SunnyVanGo

Good man. Got our 3 boys with us in Rhodes; found a packed crap bar and we had, along with everyone, a Feckin fantastic night. Yammas England.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024