| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper 12:55 - Sep 27 with 4550 views | Myke | Following on from Gavin Bazunu’s withdrawal from the Irish squad, Jimmy Dunne is officially registered as our third choice keeper!! Amateur hour. Nothing has changed since Saipan. Also I presume it means Jimmy now has no realistic chance of getting a game although not sure how that works. This is purely a football comment, so please don’t hijack it into a political thread that I didn’t intend and I am absolutely certain Clive does not want. |  | | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 11:09 - Sep 28 with 1170 views | BrianMcCarthy |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 10:05 - Sep 28 by WatfordR | I guess I should be clear, I'm don't have any problem with the manager, coaches or players who participated in the game. Imo, it should never have been left to them to make a decision. As suggested above, the FAI are not fit for purpose, and completely washed their hands of any responsibility for any of this, pretty much on the basis of "we don't know how we might be punished if we don't fulfil the fixtures". Well, Man City have broken the rules hundreds of times over 10 years ago and still remain to be punished. Of course, in world footballing terms, Ireland are not Man City, but then this is not about cheating. I think the FAI could have taken the decision not to play, and let UEFA sweat over how to handle it. It might even have been the case that others, maybe Austria and or/maybe Kosovo would have followed. But self interest prevailed. As I said above, it's the government who could have shown leadership, made it easier for the FAI to defend themselves, by saying we will instruct the FAI not to fulfil the fixtures. It's very easy for politicians all over the world to use words like genocide, to talk the talk and not walk the walk. Yeah there would no doubt be all sorts of consequences threatened, financial, economic, whatever else. But sometimes, you have got to do the right thing. I have in the back of my mind the oft used phrase when you play that you are "representing your country". I really find it hard to believe that playing against Israel represented the wishes of the majority of Irish people. |
I agree with your comments about lack of leadership by the Government and the FAI. I felt very sorry for the players and management. |  |
|  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 14:02 - Sep 28 with 881 views | Beckenhamhoop |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 11:09 - Sep 28 by BrianMcCarthy | I agree with your comments about lack of leadership by the Government and the FAI. I felt very sorry for the players and management. |
Do you not tbink that politics should be kept out of sport? |  |
|  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 14:18 - Sep 28 with 846 views | LongRanger |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 14:02 - Sep 28 by Beckenhamhoop | Do you not tbink that politics should be kept out of sport? |
Do you think Russia should be allowed to compete in International tournaments? Its international sport, national politics will always be involved, its naive to think otherwise. |  | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 14:21 - Sep 28 with 837 views | QPROslo |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 14:02 - Sep 28 by Beckenhamhoop | Do you not tbink that politics should be kept out of sport? |
Impossible I think. Russia are already excluded from multiple International competition because of their invasion of Ukraine. So why Israel is continually allowed to compete in anything is incomprehensible. |  | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 14:59 - Sep 28 with 775 views | ParkRoyalR |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 10:44 - Sep 28 by Beckenhamhoop | I don’t recall any outrage when the Irish cricket team played several matches against an Afghanistan, currently ruled by the Taliban and a country that supports several ISIS training camps . It seems women’s rights and education don’t matter or maybe they like being hypocrites or maybe it is just good old fashioned anti semitism which seems to be particularly prevalent in Ireland I hold those Afghan cricketers equally as responsible for their ‘Govt’ as I do the Israeli footballers for theirs. [Post edited 28 Sep 10:46]
|
Did'nt realise Sharon Davies the Olympic Swimmer lived in Beckenham, unless by pure coincidence your first thought last night was exactly as per Sharon's, heh, what about the Afghan cricket team, lol. The clues could be this is a football not cricket forum, Jimmy Dunne plays football for our football club and not cricket for the Irish national cricket team.... And very very few follow the Irish cricket team, likely single figures and likely few on this forum could name a single current Irish cricketer. No doubt you will be equally outraged and hold both the Israeli fans and their government equally responsible for the appalling monkey chants directed at Adam Idah last night? |  | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:06 - Sep 28 with 761 views | TK1 |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 14:21 - Sep 28 by QPROslo | Impossible I think. Russia are already excluded from multiple International competition because of their invasion of Ukraine. So why Israel is continually allowed to compete in anything is incomprehensible. |
The USA hosted the World Cup this summer while bombing Iran, who also attended the World Cup, despite mass daily executions at home and fighting wars via proxies throughout the ME. Iran lost away at Uzbekistan last week and have a friendly with - checks notes - 'The Football Union of Russia' tomorrow. There is a civil war in Sudan currently that has resulted in over 14 million people being displaced in three years, mass starvation and between 150 and 500 thousand dead. Sudan are away at Mozambique tomorrow. No news on what symbolic protest Mozambique's players will undertake. Etc. In fact, there are over 60 active conflicts globally affecting 35 countries. More than at any time since WW2. Only one involves a nation state actively attempting to invade another to conquer land: Russia/Ukraine. Hence the exclusion of Russia but not Ukraine. None of the other conflicts do involve that. That's why it's not incomprehensible. |  | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:15 - Sep 28 with 745 views | ParkRoyalR |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:06 - Sep 28 by TK1 | The USA hosted the World Cup this summer while bombing Iran, who also attended the World Cup, despite mass daily executions at home and fighting wars via proxies throughout the ME. Iran lost away at Uzbekistan last week and have a friendly with - checks notes - 'The Football Union of Russia' tomorrow. There is a civil war in Sudan currently that has resulted in over 14 million people being displaced in three years, mass starvation and between 150 and 500 thousand dead. Sudan are away at Mozambique tomorrow. No news on what symbolic protest Mozambique's players will undertake. Etc. In fact, there are over 60 active conflicts globally affecting 35 countries. More than at any time since WW2. Only one involves a nation state actively attempting to invade another to conquer land: Russia/Ukraine. Hence the exclusion of Russia but not Ukraine. None of the other conflicts do involve that. That's why it's not incomprehensible. |
Shlomi Barzel, Israel FA Head of Communications, quoted in Haaretz in October 2007.... 'I'm surpised we're still part of international tournaments'.... 'Historically countries have been suspended for much less'... 'If there had been a free vote, we would'nt have survived it'..... And that was in 2007, before the 75,000 deaths, no such thing as a free vote in 2026, everyone in the FAI, UEFA & FIFA have been bought and that's before you start with political parties and governments. |  | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:27 - Sep 28 with 719 views | QPROslo |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:06 - Sep 28 by TK1 | The USA hosted the World Cup this summer while bombing Iran, who also attended the World Cup, despite mass daily executions at home and fighting wars via proxies throughout the ME. Iran lost away at Uzbekistan last week and have a friendly with - checks notes - 'The Football Union of Russia' tomorrow. There is a civil war in Sudan currently that has resulted in over 14 million people being displaced in three years, mass starvation and between 150 and 500 thousand dead. Sudan are away at Mozambique tomorrow. No news on what symbolic protest Mozambique's players will undertake. Etc. In fact, there are over 60 active conflicts globally affecting 35 countries. More than at any time since WW2. Only one involves a nation state actively attempting to invade another to conquer land: Russia/Ukraine. Hence the exclusion of Russia but not Ukraine. None of the other conflicts do involve that. That's why it's not incomprehensible. |
Israel have been attacking countries around them since 1948 to take more land and have done just that, look at a map of Israel then and now., it is a lot bigger! They are doing the same now. They admit it. |  | |  | Login to get fewer ads
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:46 - Sep 28 with 682 views | Clint_Power | Are we doing politics on this or not? It's an emotive topic and one that I'm sure a lot people feel very strongly about, and I'm very happy if it's agreed to just not discuss it on here, but if some people are going to throw out some outrageous statements then it's hard to let them slide without some sort of reply when it's something you feel strongly about. |  | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:47 - Sep 28 with 681 views | Beckenhamhoop |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 14:59 - Sep 28 by ParkRoyalR | Did'nt realise Sharon Davies the Olympic Swimmer lived in Beckenham, unless by pure coincidence your first thought last night was exactly as per Sharon's, heh, what about the Afghan cricket team, lol. The clues could be this is a football not cricket forum, Jimmy Dunne plays football for our football club and not cricket for the Irish national cricket team.... And very very few follow the Irish cricket team, likely single figures and likely few on this forum could name a single current Irish cricketer. No doubt you will be equally outraged and hold both the Israeli fans and their government equally responsible for the appalling monkey chants directed at Adam Idah last night? |
I’ve rarely seen a bigger example of a point whoooshing straight over the top of someone’s head than this. |  |
|  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:48 - Sep 28 with 675 views | Northernr |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:46 - Sep 28 by Clint_Power | Are we doing politics on this or not? It's an emotive topic and one that I'm sure a lot people feel very strongly about, and I'm very happy if it's agreed to just not discuss it on here, but if some people are going to throw out some outrageous statements then it's hard to let them slide without some sort of reply when it's something you feel strongly about. |
Well I would always suggest not, and already (again) two pages in you're seeing why I always suggest not. |  | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:49 - Sep 28 with 673 views | Beckenhamhoop |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 14:21 - Sep 28 by QPROslo | Impossible I think. Russia are already excluded from multiple International competition because of their invasion of Ukraine. So why Israel is continually allowed to compete in anything is incomprehensible. |
Comparing Russias invasion of Ukraine to the actions of Israel is ridiculous. |  |
|  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:54 - Sep 28 with 659 views | Beckenhamhoop |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:48 - Sep 28 by Northernr | Well I would always suggest not, and already (again) two pages in you're seeing why I always suggest not. |
Totally understand your position. My point initially was regarding hypocrisy and double standards I don’t see any issue in calling that out. And anti semitism should always have a bright light shone on it. |  |
|  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 16:01 - Sep 28 with 618 views | ParkRoyalR |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:54 - Sep 28 by Beckenhamhoop | Totally understand your position. My point initially was regarding hypocrisy and double standards I don’t see any issue in calling that out. And anti semitism should always have a bright light shone on it. |
Hypocrisy and double-standards being your strong point, Any thoughts on the monkey chants directed at Adam Idah by the Israeli fans last night? |  | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 16:03 - Sep 28 with 608 views | Watford_Ranger | This isn’t the place for it. There are a million Twitter accounts on either side you can argue with. I have some very strong opinions and share them elsewhere online when I can be bothered or see something I feel needs correcting, as is more common for this one topic than most. There are even other QPR forums for it if you really want one. |  | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 16:10 - Sep 28 with 571 views | TK1 |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 15:48 - Sep 28 by Northernr | Well I would always suggest not, and already (again) two pages in you're seeing why I always suggest not. |
Yes, I agree. I apologise for responding. Have spent three years succeeding in not arguing with people about the Middle East having vowed not to engage with strangers on the Internet about it - and the irony of breaking that to respond to an anonymous avatar on a QPR message board in the international break is not lost on me. To the "look at a map" guy. Am currently reading The Cauldron: The Making of the Modern Middle East by Simon Sebag Montefiore, which is a bit more nuanced. Give it a bash. |  | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 16:14 - Sep 28 with 555 views | BrianMcCarthy |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 14:02 - Sep 28 by Beckenhamhoop | Do you not tbink that politics should be kept out of sport? |
I think that's the ideal, but there are extraordinary times - I think - when games should not be played. Apartheid South Africa was one for me, and the current Israel regime is another. I fully respect anyone who thinks differently, and I fully respect the Irish players and management for deciding to play the games. I just wish that the decision was made earlier to take pressure off the players. I feel for them. I get your point about the cricket match, and you may be right that we shouldn't have played them (I wasn't aware we had) and there will always be a case of 'what about Country X and Regime Y'. Of course I get that, and the danger of not playing one game is 'where does it all end?'. Finally, most of my friends (not all) feel like me. I'm not anti-semitic, and neither are they. They wouldn't be my friends if they were. |  |
|  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 16:24 - Sep 28 with 498 views | TheChef | As per the OP... "This is purely a football comment, so please don’t hijack it into a political thread that I didn’t intend and I am absolutely certain Clive does not want." |  |
|  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 16:50 - Sep 28 with 409 views | Beckenhamhoop |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 16:01 - Sep 28 by ParkRoyalR | Hypocrisy and double-standards being your strong point, Any thoughts on the monkey chants directed at Adam Idah by the Israeli fans last night? |
I didn’t watch the game. I was unaware of any alleged racist chanting at that game until you mentioned it. Racist chants are bad, obviously. How have I been hypocritical or shown double standards? |  |
|  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 17:04 - Sep 28 with 364 views | ParkRoyalR |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 16:50 - Sep 28 by Beckenhamhoop | I didn’t watch the game. I was unaware of any alleged racist chanting at that game until you mentioned it. Racist chants are bad, obviously. How have I been hypocritical or shown double standards? |
Racist chants you consider to be 'bad'? Monkey chants by the selected small band of invited Israeli fans consider maybe 'very bad'? Macabbi fans marauding through Amsterdam (before getting their arses handed to them) chanting 'there are no schools in Gaza because there are no children left' maybe 'very very bad'? Sky Sports pulled that footage fairly quickly and re-edited their initial report, so you'll need to move quickly before the monkey chanting at Idah is similarly edited and removed. |  | |  |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 17:23 - Sep 28 with 308 views | Clint_Power |
| Jimmy Dunne - our third choice keeper on 17:04 - Sep 28 by ParkRoyalR | Racist chants you consider to be 'bad'? Monkey chants by the selected small band of invited Israeli fans consider maybe 'very bad'? Macabbi fans marauding through Amsterdam (before getting their arses handed to them) chanting 'there are no schools in Gaza because there are no children left' maybe 'very very bad'? Sky Sports pulled that footage fairly quickly and re-edited their initial report, so you'll need to move quickly before the monkey chanting at Idah is similarly edited and removed. |
Maybe just lock this thread and move on? |  | |  |
| |