Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Football Films & Documentaries 23:21 - Apr 9 with 5654 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Four Year Plan aside of course.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2018 23:22]
Best Football Films & Documentaries on 23:27 - Apr 9 with 4363 viewsPunteR

Great documentary this one.

https://res.cloudinary.com/jpress/image/fetch/ar_3:2,c_fill,f_auto/

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 23:41 - Apr 9 with 4349 viewsBucksRanger

Next Goal Wins.

Best football documentary I've seen in a very long time.

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 23:56 - Apr 9 with 4332 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 23:41 - Apr 9 by BucksRanger

Next Goal Wins.

Class, but would give the contributors to the Commonwealth weightlifting thread the hump!
Best Football Films & Documentaries on 01:02 - Apr 10 with 4303 viewsSnipper

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 23:41 - Apr 9 by BucksRanger

Next Goal Wins.

Just ordered it off Amazon.

Only cost just over £4.
Best Football Films & Documentaries on 01:24 - Apr 10 with 4272 viewsBoston

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 23:27 - Apr 9 by PunteR

Ah yes, the famous war time football film....’Hitler Has Only Got One Ball’.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 04:36 - Apr 10 with 4231 viewsisawqpratwcity

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 23:27 - Apr 9 by PunteR

Can someone photoshop some hoops onto Ossie Ardiles, please?

(Not strictly thread related, but I just re-watched an old favourite film of mine, "O Lucky Man!" and at one point Malcolm McDowell pulls out a QPR shirt and tries it for size.)

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 05:39 - Apr 10 with 4193 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

For John Sitton’s rant alone, this has got to be up there:

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 05:50 - Apr 10 with 4188 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

That rant in detail.

Poetry.

Login to get fewer ads

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 06:06 - Apr 10 with 4176 viewsvanrrrr

http://www.the2escobars.com/

Brilliant. sad.shocking.
Best Football Films & Documentaries on 06:18 - Apr 10 with 4163 viewsRs_Holy

The Damned United was very good. Michael Sheen was brilliant as Clough and I also like the fact that QPR and Stan Bowles got a mention.
Best Football Films & Documentaries on 06:20 - Apr 10 with 4161 viewsisawqpratwcity

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 06:18 - Apr 10 by Rs_Holy

The Damned United was very good. Michael Sheen was brilliant as Clough and I also like the fact that QPR and Stan Bowles got a mention.

...for a win, too.

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 08:33 - Apr 10 with 4069 viewsDannyPaddox

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 04:36 - Apr 10 by isawqpratwcity

Can someone photoshop some hoops onto Ossie Ardiles, please?

(Not strictly thread related, but I just re-watched an old favourite film of mine, "O Lucky Man!" and at one point Malcolm McDowell pulls out a QPR shirt and tries it for size.)

Whaat? Pre-David Lynch this used to be my favourite film. Would watch it over and over again on an old VHS tape. I don't remember Malcolm McDowell trying on a QPR shirt. Are you sure? Thinking about it maybe it was just the chocolate sandwich/ Isle of Capri scene I watched again and again.

The 90's Doncaster Rovers doc is a good un.

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 08:46 - Apr 10 with 4050 viewsTheChef

The Graham Taylor documentary, needless to say.

I watched The Firm for the first time recently, not easy viewing but it's a hell of a film. Gary Oldman is something else.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 10:32 - Apr 10 with 3968 viewspaulparker

4 year plan
Orient for a fiver
One night in Turin, just for the memories of a special time
Big Ron manager
Escape to victory, (bobby moore, and Michael caine at the back , what a pairing )
The 2 Escobar's
Hero, the 86 World cup story
Premier passions
Do I not like that , Graham Taylor ( Carlton, Carlton, fcukin hell ) still cracks me up
the manageress (Cherie lungie, yum , yum )
the firm (what the fcuk have we got to do with Scotland son )

on a side note I heard Netflix are doing a behind the scenes series on Sunderland this season , that should be interesting

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 10:39 - Apr 10 with 3965 viewsGloucs_R

I.D - I fking love you Gumbo!!! :-)

Poll: Are we staying up?

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 10:47 - Apr 10 with 3949 viewsloftboy

The damned United, the original Firm, and although a shit storyline the football factory just to see Danny Dyer getting a theatrical pasting (shame it wasn’t for real)

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 10:49 - Apr 10 with 3939 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Video report on referee intimidation and match fixing...

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 10:53 - Apr 10 with 3928 viewsisawqpratwcity

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 08:33 - Apr 10 by DannyPaddox

Whaat? Pre-David Lynch this used to be my favourite film. Would watch it over and over again on an old VHS tape. I don't remember Malcolm McDowell trying on a QPR shirt. Are you sure? Thinking about it maybe it was just the chocolate sandwich/ Isle of Capri scene I watched again and again.

The 90's Doncaster Rovers doc is a good un.

I mentioned this to Blob (he's still alive and, you'll be pleased to know, currently still un-colandered by Spanish buckshot) and he pointed out that it has always been on YouTube, just in 10 minute chunks. Glad to hear you like it, too. Amazing film!

QPR shirt at 4:25. I only just noticed it myself today. I checked QPR and Reading historical kits and it's definitely ours.

Edit: Try it now!
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 10:59]

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 11:27 - Apr 10 with 3873 viewsDannyPaddox

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 10:53 - Apr 10 by isawqpratwcity

I mentioned this to Blob (he's still alive and, you'll be pleased to know, currently still un-colandered by Spanish buckshot) and he pointed out that it has always been on YouTube, just in 10 minute chunks. Glad to hear you like it, too. Amazing film!

QPR shirt at 4:25. I only just noticed it myself today. I checked QPR and Reading historical kits and it's definitely ours.

Edit: Try it now!
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 10:59]

Fantastic! Made my day. Tho u did throw me with the first clip. Wondered if there was a 60s gold lamé away kit I was unaware of.

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 11:39 - Apr 10 with 3853 viewsisawqpratwcity

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 11:27 - Apr 10 by DannyPaddox

Fantastic! Made my day. Tho u did throw me with the first clip. Wondered if there was a 60s gold lamé away kit I was unaware of.

Nah, I just stuffed up the copying somehow!

I'd been trying to find that film for years and this morning randomly googled it and found it was on catch-up tv from SBS here in Oz! Finding the film made my day, but seeing our top gob-smacked me completely!

"Try not to die like a dog."

Edit: how did you do the image capture?
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 11:40]

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 12:00 - Apr 10 with 3807 viewsDannyPaddox

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 11:39 - Apr 10 by isawqpratwcity

Nah, I just stuffed up the copying somehow!

I'd been trying to find that film for years and this morning randomly googled it and found it was on catch-up tv from SBS here in Oz! Finding the film made my day, but seeing our top gob-smacked me completely!

"Try not to die like a dog."

Edit: how did you do the image capture?
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 11:40]

I'm reading the thread from an iPhone so u while watching the YouTube clip press main button and at same time click on/off switch. Or vice versa. (Must be a simple equivalent on a computer). Click away merrily as the film is running then choose best shot. Now you've got a screenshot saved as a photo. Tp post it on LFW follow instructions under the message text box on this site for posting images from your own computer. Straightforward once you know how.

Btw: In narrative terms this (early) scene is the protagonist finding tools and treasures for the road ahead. Just before he finds the Rs top he bites into an apple (knowledge), finds an old Charles Atlas chest expander (strength) and then the QPR top ... (skills?) A little later he shags the landlady and later still the Ralph Richardson character gives him a magic gold lamé suit. Only thing missing is Stan Bowles naked in the bath reading the Racing Post.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 12:19]
Best Football Films & Documentaries on 12:19 - Apr 10 with 3778 viewsmakaveli1882

Watch this its absolutely brilliant, currently on BT but you can still watch it if you are not a BT customer.

http://sport.bt.com/football/bt-sport-films-explores-golden-era-of-italian-footb

BT Sport Films presents 'Golazzo: The Football Italia Story'
'Golazzo: The Football Italia Story' is the latest instalment of BT Sport Films' acclaimed documentary series and will premiere at 10pm on Saturday, 31 March on BT Sport 2.

Last updated: 1 April 2018 - 11.18am

BT Sport Films has confirmed the next instalment in its acclaimed documentary series, Golazzo: The Football Italia Story, will premiere at 10pm on Saturday, March 31st on BT Sport 2.

The film captures the essence of a unique period for football fans in this country, an era in which Serie A and Italian football as a whole became hugely popular in the UK following England’s run to the semi-finals at the 1990 FIFA World Cup in Italy.

You don't even have to be a BT Sport subscriber to watch the film, with a free live stream being available to absolutely anyone on the BT Sport app and via this link (from 10pm) on BTSport.com.

Presented from locations across Italy by the face of Italian football on British TV during the 1990s, James Richardson, Golazzo features iconic moments from archives not seen on TV for 20 years, reconnecting fans with the unmistakable look of Serie A on TV at that time.

The film relives the Richardson-led Saturday morning magazine programme, Gazzetta Football Italia, plus, classic moments from Channel 4’s live Serie A match coverage.

Archive footage brings to life a football scene that was watched by millions every week on terrestrial TV, reconnecting viewers to the classic football kits of Fiorentina and Parma, world-class players such as Gabriel Batistuta and Ronaldo, and the packed, passion-filled stadia hosting matches.

Be There Banner

Following the birth of the Premier League in 1992 and BSkyB’s exclusive coverage of the competition, it was a time when the cream of the world’s best footballers featured every weekend on terrestrial TV.

English clubs were generally toiling in Europe and England had failed to qualify for the 1994 FIFA World Cup.

Meanwhile, Italian football was where Europe’s best players flocked to perform, including the likes of Roberto Baggio, Gianluca Vialli, Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard.

Richardson said: “The film captures a time when Serie A was the world’s most powerful and competitive league, filled from top to bottom with colourful characters and stories.

"It was a pleasure and a privilege to work on Gazzetta Football Italia back then, and it’s been a delight to revisit those glory years for this documentary.”

The film features interviews with:

Rio Ferdinand and Frank Lampard reflecting on their memories as youngsters following Italian football
Paul Ince, Gianfranco Zola, Paul Elliott, Ray Wilkins, Joe Jordan and Luther Blissett reflecting on their playing time in Serie A
Michael Grade, former BBC chairman and former ITV executive chairman, who was instrumental in securing Serie A rights for Channel 4. Plus, TV executives Neil Duncanson and Steve Gowans, who helped to create Gazzetta
Paul Heaton, who as frontman of band The Beautiful South penned some of the most well-known songs of the decade. Heaton was an avid fan of Italian football and appeared on Gazzetta
Beppe Signori, the gifted number ten who became hugely popular to UK viewers following his prolific goal-scoring performances for Lazio
Peter Brackley, the voice of Italian football on Channel 4 as match commentator

Simon Green, head of BT Sport, said: “Golazzo: The Football Italia Story is more than the story of Italian football’s popularity in the 1990s.

"As with all of BT Sport Films' output, this film goes beyond individual storylines and personalities, to paint a vibrant picture of the wider football landscape of an era cherished by British football fans.”

The film is the latest in a series of revealing documentaries by BT Sport Films, with the world of referees, the Bradford City fire and the Crazy Gang of Wimbledon all previously being looked at in-depth to great acclaim. BT Sport Films that have already aired to date include:

No Hunger in Paradise, which outlines the pressures, pitfalls and rewards of making it as a professional footballer
Rocky & Wrighty: From Brockley to the Big Time, an in-depth look at the extraordinarily separate but intertwined stories of Arsenal legends Ian Wright and David Rocastle
The Crazy Gang: an in-depth look at the extraordinary story of Wimbledon FC in the 1980s
One Day in May: The Story of The Bradford City Fire: the story of how a fire took so quickly that it consumed the main stand at Bradford City in less than four minutes in 1985
Silver Lining: a study in the dynamics of the sporting relationship between Olympians — and husband and wife - Gemma Gibbons and Euan Burton
Football Outposts: Arsenal fan, author and ex-EastEnders star Tom Watt embarks on journeys to various British and European football outposts.
Best Football Films & Documentaries on 12:44 - Apr 10 with 3736 viewspaulparker

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 12:19 - Apr 10 by makaveli1882

Watch this its absolutely brilliant, currently on BT but you can still watch it if you are not a BT customer.

http://sport.bt.com/football/bt-sport-films-explores-golden-era-of-italian-footb

'Golazzo: The Football Italia Story' is the latest instalment of BT Sport Films' acclaimed documentary series and will premiere at 10pm on Saturday, 31 March on BT Sport 2.

BT Sport Films has confirmed the next instalment in its acclaimed documentary series, Golazzo: The Football Italia Story, will premiere at 10pm on Saturday, March 31st on BT Sport 2.

The film captures the essence of a unique period for football fans in this country, an era in which Serie A and Italian football as a whole became hugely popular in the UK following England’s run to the semi-finals at the 1990 FIFA World Cup in Italy.

You don't even have to be a BT Sport subscriber to watch the film, with a free live stream being available to absolutely anyone on the BT Sport app and via this link (from 10pm) on BTSport.com.

Presented from locations across Italy by the face of Italian football on British TV during the 1990s, James Richardson, Golazzo features iconic moments from archives not seen on TV for 20 years, reconnecting fans with the unmistakable look of Serie A on TV at that time.

The film relives the Richardson-led Saturday morning magazine programme, Gazzetta Football Italia, plus, classic moments from Channel 4’s live Serie A match coverage.

Archive footage brings to life a football scene that was watched by millions every week on terrestrial TV, reconnecting viewers to the classic football kits of Fiorentina and Parma, world-class players such as Gabriel Batistuta and Ronaldo, and the packed, passion-filled stadia hosting matches.

Be There Banner

Following the birth of the Premier League in 1992 and BSkyB’s exclusive coverage of the competition, it was a time when the cream of the world’s best footballers featured every weekend on terrestrial TV.

English clubs were generally toiling in Europe and England had failed to qualify for the 1994 FIFA World Cup.

Meanwhile, Italian football was where Europe’s best players flocked to perform, including the likes of Roberto Baggio, Gianluca Vialli, Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard.

Richardson said: “The film captures a time when Serie A was the world’s most powerful and competitive league, filled from top to bottom with colourful characters and stories.

"It was a pleasure and a privilege to work on Gazzetta Football Italia back then, and it’s been a delight to revisit those glory years for this documentary.”

Rio Ferdinand and Frank Lampard reflecting on their memories as youngsters following Italian football
Paul Ince, Gianfranco Zola, Paul Elliott, Ray Wilkins, Joe Jordan and Luther Blissett reflecting on their playing time in Serie A
Michael Grade, former BBC chairman and former ITV executive chairman, who was instrumental in securing Serie A rights for Channel 4. Plus, TV executives Neil Duncanson and Steve Gowans, who helped to create Gazzetta
Paul Heaton, who as frontman of band The Beautiful South penned some of the most well-known songs of the decade. Heaton was an avid fan of Italian football and appeared on Gazzetta
Beppe Signori, the gifted number ten who became hugely popular to UK viewers following his prolific goal-scoring performances for Lazio

Simon Green, head of BT Sport, said: “Golazzo: The Football Italia Story is more than the story of Italian football’s popularity in the 1990s.

"As with all of BT Sport Films' output, this film goes beyond individual storylines and personalities, to paint a vibrant picture of the wider football landscape of an era cherished by British football fans.”

The film is the latest in a series of revealing documentaries by BT Sport Films, with the world of referees, the Bradford City fire and the Crazy Gang of Wimbledon all previously being looked at in-depth to great acclaim. BT Sport Films that have already aired to date include:

No Hunger in Paradise, which outlines the pressures, pitfalls and rewards of making it as a professional footballer
Rocky & Wrighty: From Brockley to the Big Time, an in-depth look at the extraordinarily separate but intertwined stories of Arsenal legends Ian Wright and David Rocastle
The Crazy Gang: an in-depth look at the extraordinary story of Wimbledon FC in the 1980s
One Day in May: The Story of The Bradford City Fire: the story of how a fire took so quickly that it consumed the main stand at Bradford City in less than four minutes in 1985
Silver Lining: a study in the dynamics of the sporting relationship between Olympians — and husband and wife - Gemma Gibbons and Euan Burton
Football Outposts: Arsenal fan, author and ex-EastEnders star Tom Watt embarks on journeys to various British and European football outposts.

I thought the Golazzo documentary was rushed and very disjointed , it could and should have been a 4 part special considering the great teams you had like Milan , Parma , Sampdoria, Juve, Lazio, Inter , you had players like Gazza, Ronaldo,Lombardo, Gullitt, vialli, Batistuta, Costa, Brolin , Asprillia, Baggio, Berti , Zammarano , Weah , most of them hardly got a mention, you could have had a recap of the great games , the great kits , the stadiums , the controversy , basically make it a rise and fall of Italian football
it just seemed to concentrate mostly on Richardsons quirkiness and a few comedy skits

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 12:47 - Apr 10 with 3731 viewsTheChef

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 12:19 - Apr 10 by makaveli1882

Be There Banner

Nice one! That's my viewing tomorrow night sorted.

ITV4 had a couple of decent docs recently:

https://www.itv.com/hub/when-english-football-ruled-europe/2a5405

https://www.itv.com/hub/footballs-foreign-legion/2a5528a0001

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Best Football Films & Documentaries on 12:49 - Apr 10 with 3732 viewsToast_R

"Dalglish" was good.
"89" not bad either.
Quite liked "Building Jerusalem" as a part time Rugby fan.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024