Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dickie 22:37 - Sep 18 with 2125 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I missed the first match so this was my first chance to have a proper look at our new signings.

I was away from the TV much of the first half as I was cooking stir-fry. Salmon and egg and prawns and onion and broccoli and garlic and evil chilli from my dad's garden - with noodles. In case you were wondering.

Anyway, as we all know, 2 games of a season isn't enough to make judgements about anything but I saw most of the second half and thought Dickie looks like a good player. Excellent when we're in possession at least, which was less often than hoped. Full range of passing, almost with a swagger. Perhaps not so great when we're caught on the break because he's as slow as death itself from a standing start. I like him.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 22:39]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Dickie on 12:51 - Sep 19 with 1848 viewsfrancisbowles

I thought he was poor tonight and from distance either was carrying an injury or was blowing hard in the second half.

I have been previously impressed with him on the ball and he is a bigger presence than Hall.
Dickie on 13:48 - Sep 19 with 1764 viewsbosh67

I like him. Very assured on the ball and overall he should settle in pretty well. It will take him time but as said above, my only worry is his lack of pace from a standing start. It's more Bob Malcolm than Usain Bolt. That may improve I hope.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Dickie on 13:56 - Sep 19 with 1730 viewsNorthernr

He looked like a right footed Barbet to me last night. All a bit seat of the pants.
Dickie on 14:45 - Sep 19 with 1609 viewsqprd

Dickie on 13:56 - Sep 19 by Northernr

He looked like a right footed Barbet to me last night. All a bit seat of the pants.

yep... right down to playing a load of diagonal long balls against forest

i did get a bit excited when he played a one touch pass in the second half to wallace (i think).... but its gonna be one of those seasons where every corner is a heart attack
Dickie on 14:49 - Sep 19 with 1593 viewsqpr_1968

liked him, think he'll come good once he settles in.
one bit of sloppy play in the first half where he gave the ball away that could have led to bit of danger, but all in all good.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Dickie on 15:04 - Sep 19 with 1553 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Likewise, first chance I’ve had to see him and really want to like him and be supportive. I’m not going to condemn him after one, in my opinion, poor performance. But...he is no athlete and that ain’t gonna change. Slow as feck and he has an extremely odd running style which looks physically very awkward. I remember Alex Ferguson rejected signing a player because he thought his running style wasn’t efficient enough. Christ knows what he’d have made of Dickie; his frame doesn’t look like it’s been put together properly. I hope he does well and proves my concerns unfounded.
Dickie on 16:46 - Sep 19 with 1366 viewsLblock

Dickie on 15:04 - Sep 19 by Beckenhamhoop

Likewise, first chance I’ve had to see him and really want to like him and be supportive. I’m not going to condemn him after one, in my opinion, poor performance. But...he is no athlete and that ain’t gonna change. Slow as feck and he has an extremely odd running style which looks physically very awkward. I remember Alex Ferguson rejected signing a player because he thought his running style wasn’t efficient enough. Christ knows what he’d have made of Dickie; his frame doesn’t look like it’s been put together properly. I hope he does well and proves my concerns unfounded.

That player that Ferguson rejected hasn’t done too bad so far though

Played in a World Cup semi final and Captained his side to the Premiership title.

Don’t think you can judge defenders in our club because we just do the defensive thing.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Dickie on 17:16 - Sep 19 with 1321 viewsNorthantsHoop

Too early to say with Rob Dickie. It takes time to settle into centre half partnerships. Warburton seems to prefer ball playing defenders, who are comfortable on the ball, rather than stoppers. Our weakness in the air is a problem and I always felt that Charlie Goode would have met that profile better. Dickie fits the ball playing centre half along with Barbet. I feel that Masterson probably with more game time and playing in the centre half role will turn out to be the better defensive option than Barbet. Again give Dickie more time.
Login to get fewer ads

Dickie on 17:48 - Sep 19 with 1248 viewsTGRRRSSS

Very early to overly critiscise but it looks like the ususal issues you get with Warburton defensively....

Not entirely sure the players are always the issue, but they've got to bed in and develope an understanding etc...

Yesterday wasnt in it's way a huge surprise....

It doesn worry me when managers want a defender to spray a pass like Beckham or someone rather than tackle, head the ball etc which I feel will always be the primary concern - or it should be.
Dickie on 18:07 - Sep 19 with 1203 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Dickie on 17:16 - Sep 19 by NorthantsHoop

Too early to say with Rob Dickie. It takes time to settle into centre half partnerships. Warburton seems to prefer ball playing defenders, who are comfortable on the ball, rather than stoppers. Our weakness in the air is a problem and I always felt that Charlie Goode would have met that profile better. Dickie fits the ball playing centre half along with Barbet. I feel that Masterson probably with more game time and playing in the centre half role will turn out to be the better defensive option than Barbet. Again give Dickie more time.

I half agree with you. I'm sure Warburton would happily buy defenders who can defend as well as play out from the back. However with our budget constraints he has to compromise somewhere and does so on the defending.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Dickie on 19:15 - Sep 19 with 1122 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Dickie on 16:46 - Sep 19 by Lblock

That player that Ferguson rejected hasn’t done too bad so far though

Played in a World Cup semi final and Captained his side to the Premiership title.

Don’t think you can judge defenders in our club because we just do the defensive thing.

Who was it? I can’t remember.
Dickie on 19:29 - Sep 19 with 1109 viewsrsonist

Dickie on 19:15 - Sep 19 by Beckenhamhoop

Who was it? I can’t remember.

Jordan Henderson.
Dickie on 19:34 - Sep 19 with 1104 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Dickie on 19:29 - Sep 19 by rsonist

Jordan Henderson.

😳
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024