Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travelling from afar to loftus road. 17:15 - Mar 31 with 1557 viewsqpr_1968

The furthest i've lived from loftus road is osterley, for 2 years, 2009 to 2011.
loved every minute of the journey down to loftus road and back, obvously the wins made it more enjoyable. used to get in the smuts at 12/12.30.....and back to the richmond after, hammersmith to osterley.
my good mate travels in from clayden near ipswich, and also loves the experience of traveling from afar to games, its all part of the game.
we all meet in the askew now before games, and still back to the richmond after.

i take my hat off to you fellows who have season tickets and travel, whether by car, train or other transport, if there is one.
even if you are not a st holder, a couple of games a season is good enough.
do all you lot that travel from afar enjoy the day whether win lose or draw, or do you find it a chore.
i'd say the irish contingent make a good day or two of it on the lash, and rightly so.
would be interesting to see who travels in regular the furthest.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 17:24 - Mar 31 with 1529 viewscolinallcars

I too salute those ardent fans who travel such long distances for homes games. I've travelled to HQ by feet, car, tube, bus, motorbike and pushbike but never from very far away !
Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 17:47 - Mar 31 with 1491 viewsHantsR

I drive 70 miles and have a ST - not too bad a journey really as long as I can keep moving; only a pain when there's a big hold up or diversion for whatever reason.
Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 18:05 - Mar 31 with 1455 viewsterryb

Perhaps I've met your good mate on the train from Ipswich! There are a few of us that are regulars travelling from Suffolk & down the line at Colchester & Chelmsford.

Do I enjoy the games? That depends on the performance & the result, but I always enjoy meeting friends in the Defectors beforehand! A Saturday 3.00pm match is never a chore, but midweek games are bloody hard work. Getting back to Liverpool Street for the 22.30 train requires being one of the first out of the ground after the final whistle has sounded. Additional time being added on should not be allowed at evening games!

Whether we qualify as long distance supporters living in Ipswich, I'm not certain. It's definitely next door compared to Dave thomas travelling from Bolton!
Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 18:08 - Mar 31 with 1445 viewsBlackCrowe

San Francisco, cut short an all day meeting to get an earlier flight back to UK, and got the tube from LHR to HQ with 30 mins to spare.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 18:17 - Mar 31 with 1432 viewsBoston

Average 5/6 games per season. 3,000 miles, one way.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 18:41 - Mar 31 with 1398 viewsDavieQPR

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 18:05 - Mar 31 by terryb

Perhaps I've met your good mate on the train from Ipswich! There are a few of us that are regulars travelling from Suffolk & down the line at Colchester & Chelmsford.

Do I enjoy the games? That depends on the performance & the result, but I always enjoy meeting friends in the Defectors beforehand! A Saturday 3.00pm match is never a chore, but midweek games are bloody hard work. Getting back to Liverpool Street for the 22.30 train requires being one of the first out of the ground after the final whistle has sounded. Additional time being added on should not be allowed at evening games!

Whether we qualify as long distance supporters living in Ipswich, I'm not certain. It's definitely next door compared to Dave thomas travelling from Bolton!

Iy was when the Bus Replacement service that seemed to go on for years that used to annoy me
Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 19:21 - Mar 31 with 1340 viewsJuzzie

Furthest I’ve lived from Loftus Road is 20 miles when i lived in Watford for a couple of years in the late 80’s.

Currently 9 miles.
Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 19:38 - Mar 31 with 1309 viewswelwynranger

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 19:21 - Mar 31 by Juzzie

Furthest I’ve lived from Loftus Road is 20 miles when i lived in Watford for a couple of years in the late 80’s.

Currently 9 miles.

28 miles from leafy Hertfordshire.
Have season ticket in L
Dont miss many , occasional night game missed due to work
Login to get fewer ads

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 20:14 - Mar 31 with 1272 viewshantssi

Few times a year from Fareham (Hants), park at the Black Horse in Greenford for a beer and a bite to eat, Central Line just a few stops.
Have a quick one in there after before true drive back.
There’s a guy used to post on here SM, ST Holder travels from the Isle of Wight!
Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 20:44 - Mar 31 with 1240 viewsTGRRRSSS

Not sure the exact mileage but door to door I drove to SAR once to pick up tickets and that is 33 miles.

Normally get train in from Twyford but live near Bracknell.
Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 21:53 - Mar 31 with 1173 viewsderbyhoop

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 18:08 - Mar 31 by BlackCrowe

San Francisco, cut short an all day meeting to get an earlier flight back to UK, and got the tube from LHR to HQ with 30 mins to spare.

I think you win the competition for longest trip.

Had a season ticket before moving to France. Home games involved a 260 mile round trip. But not as far as Dave Thomas, among others.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 23:35 - Mar 31 with 1125 viewsPeterHucker

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 18:08 - Mar 31 by BlackCrowe

I usually get the train from Hartford (Cheshire) to Euston for home matches.

At the start of last season I travelled direct from Calgary to Loftus Road.
(not quite as far as San Francisco though)
I took off from Calgary at 6pm on Friday evening. Landed at Gatwick on Saturday morning, went straight to the pub and then to QPR.
We beat Wigan 3-1 and I was so jetlagged I had to stand up all the way on the train home because otherwise I'd fall asleep and miss my stop.
Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 01:33 - Apr 1 with 1065 viewsBoston

Once, I flew on a Friday red eye from Boston to Heathrow. Landing Saturday morning I got the train down to Paddington then back up to North Wembley. In the door of my mothers, cup of tea, kiss, out door, train to Euston, change to Kings Cross and up to Hull. Beer, burgers, sing song, train back to town, up to South Kenton, into pub, five more pints, walk back to East Lane, Rip Van Winkle, see ya Monday!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 05:55 - Apr 1 with 1022 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I flew back from Phnom Penh for the Watford promotion game.

At VC I sat next to my mate who’d come in from Singapore. After the game, we caught up with an old travel buddy of mine who flew back from West Australia.

In the pub we got chatting to a lad who’d come in from Cape Town the night before.

The carbon footprint eh!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 10:41 - Apr 1 with 886 viewsNorthantsHoop

Season ticket holder travel down from Northampton. For Saturday games up to last season would drive down with my wife to mum in law's in Pinner and get tube from Rayners Lane to Hammersmith. When I resume attendance next season, back on the train from Northampton to Euston, as sadly mum in law passed away from Covid in February, the last of our family links to West London have all gone, other than my old mates, who I still see. Grew up in Northolt, so easy in those days, tube to White City.
Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 11:10 - Apr 1 with 857 viewsfrancisbowles

We moved south to Milford on sea in October 2017 and have retained our season tickets. We drive through the New Forest, always a pleasure, and onto the M27, M3 and then either M25 and M4 or the A316. It is almost exactly 100 miles each way and usually it takes/took about two hours and a bit less going home.

On Saturdays, we always go for a brunch, with friends if they are available, usually Adams cafe or the Bush Hall Dining Rooms (now closed). Midweek games, it's dinner. After the match it's a quick drink and a chat in the Princess Victoria. Midweek we go straight home unless we have booked a Travelodge, which we do in the deep winter months. It sometimes seems a bit of a rush if we get a Saturday/ Tuesday or an early kick off but otherwise it has been really good.

Apart from the two matches before Christmas which we were fortunate to get tickets for, we have really missed our 'big days out', during this last twelve months.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2021 11:12]
Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 11:31 - Apr 1 with 822 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 01:33 - Apr 1 by Boston

Once, I flew on a Friday red eye from Boston to Heathrow. Landing Saturday morning I got the train down to Paddington then back up to North Wembley. In the door of my mothers, cup of tea, kiss, out door, train to Euston, change to Kings Cross and up to Hull. Beer, burgers, sing song, train back to town, up to South Kenton, into pub, five more pints, walk back to East Lane, Rip Van Winkle, see ya Monday!

I've done the similar fight returning from a visit to my son in Maine. Only my flight was early Friday morning, Boston to Heathrow to Manchester late Friday night. Home to Stoke, couple hours kip then train to London for the game
Travelling from afar to loftus road. on 11:43 - Apr 1 with 811 viewsonlyrinmoray

About 3 times a season I used to go to Northern games by car with Rob and sons, 3 hour drive to Dunblane 4 am start then breakfast Then he drove to the Northern game Barnsley Man City at Maine Road Oldham Leeds etc One night driving home up the A9 I fell asleep scared the life out of me and stopped the driving. Rob moved to Edinburgh anyway

I now go around 3 times a season Drive to Inverness airport 7 am flight to Gatwick Train up to London underground to the Richmond Arms, a couple of pints with the locals Then the match. Stay overnight, take in a gig or show, then flight back next day Home about 4pm Always on my own

Its a bugger but have to do it. Loved it when QPR had a pre season in the Highlands Nairn County and Inverness Caley actually had people to go with home in an hour !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024