Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. 11:17 - Feb 14 with 2710 viewsEsox_Lucius

cacafuego: Spanish for ‘fire-shitter’, this is the player who is all bluster and little substance. Cacafuego was an impressively-armed Spanish galleon, captured easily by Sir Francis Drake.

Nominations for players you have watched play in the hoops.

The grass is always greener.

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 11:31 - Feb 14 with 2680 viewsBrianMcCarthy

armethygossam'r

Saxon in origin, an affliction where the sufferer was born with fine and delicate arms which would disintegrate upon the merest contact with other people or indeed a futball.
Tony Roberts suffered from it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 12:00 - Feb 14 with 2619 viewsslmrstid

I remember John Gregory describing some of the squad he inherited from Gary Waddock as "midweek internationals" - look good in training then absolutely useless come matchday. I'm sure we've all come across figures like that in our own amateur footballing careers!
Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 12:05 - Feb 14 with 2608 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This word was made for Joey Barton surely.
Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 13:03 - Feb 14 with 2491 viewsloftboy

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 12:05 - Feb 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

This word was made for Joey Barton surely.

Beat me to it Baz

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 13:46 - Feb 14 with 2431 viewsR_from_afar

I've always loved this one:
https://sqaf.club/what-is-a-trequartista-in-football/

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 14:13 - Feb 14 with 2389 viewsDannyPaddox

Is there a recognised term for the prone horizontal defending player that lies down behind a free-kick wall?

I’m thinking the wall-bitch, the turf-whisperer, or the draft-excluder.
Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 14:25 - Feb 14 with 2347 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The Ju52.

Ageing, not the fastest but a usually reliable workhorse.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 14:36 - Feb 14 with 2328 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 14:25 - Feb 14 by Metallica_Hoop

The Ju52.

The poor ol' fella, he hasn't even spotted that the ball's at his feet.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 14:51 - Feb 14 with 2299 viewsNewBee

When Alan Sugar was in charge of Spurs, he used to call overpriced/overpaid/overrated players from overseas, ususally being punted by smarmy Agents, as "Carlos Kickaballs".
Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 15:13 - Feb 14 with 2252 viewsGloryHunter

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 14:13 - Feb 14 by DannyPaddox

Is there a recognised term for the prone horizontal defending player that lies down behind a free-kick wall?

I heard a TV commentator describe this as the Rees-Mogg position.
Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 15:26 - Feb 14 with 2227 viewsWokingR

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 14:36 - Feb 14 by BrianMcCarthy

The poor ol' fella, he hasn't even spotted that the ball's at his feet.

Proper black boots though
Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 19:28 - Feb 14 with 2080 viewsCiderwithRsie

It's a bloody good name for a ship, though, isn't it?

"The Defence Secretary announced today that HMS Fireshitter has been deployed to the Baltic, joining HMS Thunderf*cker..."
Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 21:08 - Feb 14 with 1967 viewsted_hendrix

For the life of me I'm halfway through this thread before realising that the title doesn't say "Susie Dent's obscure dentures"

Got completely confused.

Better go to Specsareus or whatever it's called and have my hearing heard.

EH?

Ying tong iddle I po.

iddle I po.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 21:50 - Feb 14 with 1901 viewsCiderwithRsie

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 14:25 - Feb 14 by Metallica_Hoop

The Ju52.

"Mein Fuhrer, we need a reliable transport plane for the Luftwaffe."

"Well, OK, but we spaffed the budget on Messerschmitts. Can you get anything free from Watford?"
Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 21:54 - Feb 14 with 1885 viewsBoston

...or just the lazy sod.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 21:57 - Feb 14 with 1879 viewsdistortR

mollag is the manx word for an inflated animal skin/bladder used as a fishing float, and also a derogatory term for a puffed up person full of hot air.
I'm thinking keith stroud.
Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 09:59 - Feb 15 with 1687 viewsEsox_Lucius

The studs up, 2 footed lunge. Definite red.

The grass is always greener.

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 13:16 - Feb 15 with 1590 viewshantssi

Susie Dent's Obscure Terms For Footballers. on 09:59 - Feb 15 by Esox_Lucius

The studs up, 2 footed lunge. Definite red.

IMHO a woman who should be on the “women you shouldn’t fancy” thread if she’s not already on it!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024