Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manager v Head Coach 15:40 - Jun 18 with 6267 viewsdmm

In thinking about what the differences might be between having a head coach and a manager might make, I found this article interesting : https://coachingxtra.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-manager-and-head-coach

With the signing of JCS I think we've already seen Beale will have a big say in transfers. But what areas will Beale not have much of a say in? And how much might that increase Ferdinand's influence?

And, as has been mentioned elsewhere, will there be any effect on Chris Ramsey's role as technical director of football?

The article suggests having a head coach gives more player power than having a manager. Why that would be the case?

It would be fascinating to see a club organisational organogram.
Manager v Head Coach on 16:00 - Jun 18 with 4320 viewsLogman

I think Beale has got a tough job. I think by changing the name of the post to Head Coach he is going to have to abide by Ramsey and Ferdinand's views on which U.23 players to accommodate in the 1st team squad and on playing style too. I think the only say Beale will have in transfers is suggesting players that he has dealt with over the years - I am sure Ferdinand and Hoos will ultimately decide whether to buy the players. Still it won't be all that bad. At least he will get a new tracksuit with his initials on.
Manager v Head Coach on 16:14 - Jun 18 with 4284 viewsDavieQPR

Nah. They found an old one belonging to Martyn Busby when leaving Harlington and gave it a quick wash. One of the reasons he got the job.
Manager v Head Coach on 16:52 - Jun 18 with 4205 viewsQPR_John

Manager v Head Coach on 16:00 - Jun 18 by Logman

I think Beale has got a tough job. I think by changing the name of the post to Head Coach he is going to have to abide by Ramsey and Ferdinand's views on which U.23 players to accommodate in the 1st team squad and on playing style too. I think the only say Beale will have in transfers is suggesting players that he has dealt with over the years - I am sure Ferdinand and Hoos will ultimately decide whether to buy the players. Still it won't be all that bad. At least he will get a new tracksuit with his initials on.

We are talking about a coach highly respected throughout football who had more choices apart from joining us. Do you think he would have accepted the post if he was expected to be dictated to by Ramsey and Ferdinand.
Manager v Head Coach on 16:53 - Jun 18 with 4201 viewsblacky2013

I don't think that it is going to be any tougher for Beale than it was for MB. The title of his job is meaningless. The traditional manger role is dead in modern football. The days of a manager sorting out contracts, running the club are long gone.
Manager v Head Coach on 16:57 - Jun 18 with 4190 viewsterryb

To me, they are the same!
Manager v Head Coach on 19:23 - Jun 18 with 4085 viewsDavieQPR

A head coach tends to get less involved with the financial side of things.
Manager v Head Coach on 19:35 - Jun 18 with 4048 viewsDannytheR

Be really genuinely interested to know what you're basing any of this on.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2022 19:37]
Manager v Head Coach on 20:20 - Jun 18 with 3951 viewsqueensparker

As someone else pointed out a few weeks back, Gordon Jago was once our “head coach” under dodgy Jim Gregory and his era heralded the greatest ever QPR team a few years later. I wouldn’t get too worked up about it.
Login to get fewer ads

Manager v Head Coach on 09:44 - Jun 19 with 3733 viewsLogman

Manager v Head Coach on 19:35 - Jun 18 by DannytheR

Be really genuinely interested to know what you're basing any of this on.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2022 19:37]

My thoughts are based on reports of what happened in the second half of last season when we needed reinforcements and Ferdinand and Ramsey allegedly wanted U.23's to get more game time but Warburton didn't think they were ready. Also, the fact that the club want the same playing style through all the teams (although this may come from Beale). Finally Beale is taking his first Head role and I think it is unlikely that he will be inclined as to challenge the status quo as a Manager with previous would. Just my thoughts though. I do not profess to be a mole in the camp.
Manager v Head Coach on 10:35 - Jun 19 with 3671 viewsDannytheR

Manager v Head Coach on 09:44 - Jun 19 by Logman

My thoughts are based on reports of what happened in the second half of last season when we needed reinforcements and Ferdinand and Ramsey allegedly wanted U.23's to get more game time but Warburton didn't think they were ready. Also, the fact that the club want the same playing style through all the teams (although this may come from Beale). Finally Beale is taking his first Head role and I think it is unlikely that he will be inclined as to challenge the status quo as a Manager with previous would. Just my thoughts though. I do not profess to be a mole in the camp.

Fair enough, my man. I just wondered if you had inside info because as far as I know, all that's come out through Dave McIntyre and others is that Les and the coaches wanted more involvement for younger players in and around the first team squad, at training etc. There's a pretty massive difference between that and demanding they get picked for the first team.

Can't help thinking we should probably give Beale a couple of weeks in the job before writing him off as a stooge.

Personally, I'm pretty up for it all. If Les and Ramsey want a unified playing style through the teams, and to be able to say to young players from better resourced clubs that Rangers will give them a realistic shot at making the grade, I'd have thought those were good things.

Can't help wondering what we'd all have said on the message boards of 1980 when Venables joined - us having just failed to go up after a big push, him a bright young bloke only in his second job, all sorts of weird new ideas about to be put into place. That one worked out all right...
Manager v Head Coach on 10:56 - Jun 19 with 3632 viewsLogman

Manager v Head Coach on 10:35 - Jun 19 by DannytheR

Fair enough, my man. I just wondered if you had inside info because as far as I know, all that's come out through Dave McIntyre and others is that Les and the coaches wanted more involvement for younger players in and around the first team squad, at training etc. There's a pretty massive difference between that and demanding they get picked for the first team.

Can't help thinking we should probably give Beale a couple of weeks in the job before writing him off as a stooge.

Personally, I'm pretty up for it all. If Les and Ramsey want a unified playing style through the teams, and to be able to say to young players from better resourced clubs that Rangers will give them a realistic shot at making the grade, I'd have thought those were good things.

Can't help wondering what we'd all have said on the message boards of 1980 when Venables joined - us having just failed to go up after a big push, him a bright young bloke only in his second job, all sorts of weird new ideas about to be put into place. That one worked out all right...

Yep, can see where you are coming from. Though I think it's harder to bring numerous young players through en masse these days than in the days of Allen, Goddard, Dawes, Neill, Macca, Waddock etc. I'm up for it though. Bring in the yoot (not the Croydon yoot though)
Manager v Head Coach on 12:27 - Jun 19 with 3567 viewsderbyhoop

Given that the best U23s got loans in National League, or lower, warbs was probably right.

Whether Beale can do better is, at this stage, debatable.

However, Les and Hoos have been around football long enough to know you cannot sideline the Head Coach/Manager over transfers. It will be joint decisions.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Manager v Head Coach on 12:36 - Jun 19 with 3558 viewsDannytheR

Manager v Head Coach on 12:27 - Jun 19 by derbyhoop

Given that the best U23s got loans in National League, or lower, warbs was probably right.

Whether Beale can do better is, at this stage, debatable.

However, Les and Hoos have been around football long enough to know you cannot sideline the Head Coach/Manager over transfers. It will be joint decisions.

Thing is, there's nothing to suggest Warburton ever did get sidelined over transfers. The impetus for our best transfers always seemed to come from elsewhere (Willock and Field come to mind). Even so, we never heard of him wanting players and getting knocked back OR players getting foisted on him that he didn't want.

I'd understand it if it Warburton had been crying out for a striker in January and been told no, but it seems to have been the total opposite. Not digging out your post but I'd have thought the lesson of the last half of the season was very clearly anything BUT 'let's leave transfers up to the manager.'
Manager v Head Coach on 13:00 - Jun 25 with 3284 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

He looks like a manager to me watching this. Also they’re straight back in with the contact training. Looks like hardwork!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Manager v Head Coach on 13:39 - Jun 25 with 3178 viewsbosh67

Manager v Head Coach on 13:00 - Jun 25 by CliveWilsonSaid

He looks like a manager to me watching this. Also they’re straight back in with the contact training. Looks like hardwork!

Disappointed to see them not mindlessly running laps of the training pitches, doing sideways star jumps across the half way lines and seeing how fast they can run backwards over a short distance. Also no hopping or smoking? What's that all about?

Seems to be far too much stuff with the ball, give and go, fast control, making space, movement on and off the ball, learning stuff. It won't be needed, will it?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Manager v Head Coach on 13:45 - Jun 25 with 3164 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Beale also says something at the end which is quite telling, i cant quite phrase it as he does but essentially he's saying to the team that he doesn't like sideways and backwards passing for the sake of it. Always look up and look forward.

I wonder from his personal point of view what the drop down will be like from Coutinho et al to our lads?
Manager v Head Coach on 13:50 - Jun 25 with 3141 viewsessextaxiboy

Manager v Head Coach on 13:00 - Jun 25 by CliveWilsonSaid

I didn’t see Dickie Dykes Willock or Chair , hopefully not still carrying injuries
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 13:52]
Manager v Head Coach on 13:56 - Jun 25 with 3114 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Manager v Head Coach on 13:45 - Jun 25 by Welsh_Ranger

Beale also says something at the end which is quite telling, i cant quite phrase it as he does but essentially he's saying to the team that he doesn't like sideways and backwards passing for the sake of it. Always look up and look forward.

I wonder from his personal point of view what the drop down will be like from Coutinho et al to our lads?

Yeh I found that interesting too and he was talking about it earlier on in the video too. That they should always be facing goal. I was just watching some of Villas goals from last season and you can kind of see it.

Manager v Head Coach on 14:00 - Jun 25 with 3092 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Manager v Head Coach on 13:50 - Jun 25 by essextaxiboy

I didn’t see Dickie Dykes Willock or Chair , hopefully not still carrying injuries
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 13:52]

Willock is still injured I think. Beale said in a previous interview that the international players won’t be starting training until later on so that explains Chair and Dykes.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 14:35]

Manager v Head Coach on 15:22 - Jun 25 with 2985 viewsLogman

Manager v Head Coach on 13:39 - Jun 25 by bosh67

Disappointed to see them not mindlessly running laps of the training pitches, doing sideways star jumps across the half way lines and seeing how fast they can run backwards over a short distance. Also no hopping or smoking? What's that all about?

Seems to be far too much stuff with the ball, give and go, fast control, making space, movement on and off the ball, learning stuff. It won't be needed, will it?

Really enjoyed watching that. The young players look like they are progressing well and its great to see Shodipo running with the ball. Re the lack of running round the pitch, star jumps and dribbling in and out of cones, I agree. On the other hand there are some stomachs within the management team that wouldn't look out of place in a Sunday morning League team and Damian Matthew has the look of a coach who can throw tea cups.
Manager v Head Coach on 15:34 - Jun 25 with 2947 viewsLogman

Also Macauley Bonne seems to have bulked up a bit. I thought he was Charlie Austin. The Jaffa cakes must be nicer in Ipswich.
Manager v Head Coach on 15:35 - Jun 25 with 2943 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Manager v Head Coach on 15:22 - Jun 25 by Logman

Really enjoyed watching that. The young players look like they are progressing well and its great to see Shodipo running with the ball. Re the lack of running round the pitch, star jumps and dribbling in and out of cones, I agree. On the other hand there are some stomachs within the management team that wouldn't look out of place in a Sunday morning League team and Damian Matthew has the look of a coach who can throw tea cups.

I’ve always thought Michael Beale wouldn’t look out of place propping up the bar at the Crown and Sceptre.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 15:36]

Manager v Head Coach on 05:13 - Jun 27 with 2741 viewsLoftgirl

Manager v Head Coach on 15:22 - Jun 25 by Logman

Hopefully only plastic tea cups. We can't afford to keep buying new ones.
Manager v Head Coach on 08:17 - Jun 27 with 2610 viewsTheChef

Clearly they wanted someone who was open to developing our younger players and bringing them into the first team - come on, every article about Beale from the club has 'pathway' in it at least five times.

And that's why Warburton didn't get a new contract.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Manager v Head Coach on 09:24 - Jun 27 with 2508 viewsBklynRanger

Manager v Head Coach on 13:56 - Jun 25 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yeh I found that interesting too and he was talking about it earlier on in the video too. That they should always be facing goal. I was just watching some of Villas goals from last season and you can kind of see it.

Yeah good bit of insight there - I listened back to it and he says basically "If you're not able to play with your shoulders facing both goals then you're going to have a problem", because they don't want players to be 'set' all the time and just passing sideways.

He did say he watched our last 20 games so will have seen a lot of that as morale crumbled.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024