Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Short Corners 21:30 - Jul 31 with 1136 viewsGloucs_R

Can anyone explain why?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Short Corners on 21:33 - Jul 31 with 829 viewsqprmeath

Changes the point of the attack obviously
Short Corners on 21:43 - Jul 31 with 795 viewsTrom

In all my time (a fairly long time following the Rs) I can't remember us scoring from one.
Short Corners on 21:46 - Jul 31 with 786 viewss1cRanger

We have always been pretty dreadful at corners, I always wonder why we bring up the defenders and then take the corner short and lose the ball...

If it works it really works well but more often than not I would prefer a floated corner into the big men in the box to either head on goal or knock down to another player.
Short Corners on 21:48 - Jul 31 with 772 viewsGloucs_R

Short Corners on 21:46 - Jul 31 by s1cRanger

We have always been pretty dreadful at corners, I always wonder why we bring up the defenders and then take the corner short and lose the ball...

If it works it really works well but more often than not I would prefer a floated corner into the big men in the box to either head on goal or knock down to another player.

^this^

Poll: Are we staying up?

Short Corners on 21:53 - Jul 31 with 754 viewsGetMeRangers

Short Corners on 21:43 - Jul 31 by Trom

In all my time (a fairly long time following the Rs) I can't remember us scoring from one.

But I am sure I have seen us conceded from them... and sat there wishing we would learn from others rather than the generally wasted ball pumped in
Short Corners on 23:12 - Jul 31 with 699 viewsCanadaRanger

Can improve the shot angle on goal... but takes away the direct header from the cross.
Short Corners on 23:21 - Jul 31 with 684 viewsGloryHunter

I've never understood it. You can't be offside from a corner, but as soon as the ball is touched off for a short corner, you can. So if the defenders on the posts come out quickly, they can immediately catch a load of attacking players offside. No doubt there is a theory somewhere in some coaching manual.
Short Corners on 00:33 - Aug 1 with 644 viewsRBlock

Not as bad as our old Kick Off routine!
Login to get fewer ads

Short Corners on 05:39 - Aug 1 with 602 viewsqprmick

It depends who take them and who is on the end of them. Imagine the panic going through a goalkeepers mind as the angle of attack is changed.

Qprmick

Short Corners on 06:04 - Aug 1 with 593 viewsWeaverQPR

Short Corners on 00:33 - Aug 1 by RBlock

Not as bad as our old Kick Off routine!

The ol' up and under!

@WeavQPR

Short Corners on 06:32 - Aug 1 with 580 viewsWatford_Ranger

I've never understood why for a direct free-kick, 20 yards from goal, with the wall starting about eight yards away, player A will nudge the ball three inches to the right so when player B shoots, the wall is two yards away and blocks it.
Short Corners on 07:09 - Aug 1 with 563 viewsLowerloftLad

Ha ha yes they old kick off routine pass it back then slog it to a midfielder who's made a bursting run down the wing Only for the ball to sale of over the touchline. Just to give they opposition a throw in . On they odd occasion it was kept in play it was only due to Gareth ainsworth and one of his trade mark headers which he did score 1 or 2 from.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Short Corners on 07:29 - Aug 1 with 549 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I don't understand the whole concept of corners. Maybe if I supported a club that was allowed score from them, which we're clearly not.

The way it seems to work is that the attacking team is denied a goal when the ball is deflected behind by one of the oppo, thus ending one of our three allotted shots on goal. We are now 33% less likely to score today and 86.573% less likely to win (according to market research). Instead of making a beeline immediately to the pub, we all go a bit loopy-mental (the weary old heads are clearly feigning it out of loyalty, the newbies still live in we-can-score-from-this land), we sing 'Come on you R's', twice (except for the newbies, who attempt a third rendition before tailing off meekly), the corner taker sprints over, looking all eager and action man-ish, makes the customary hash of it. Then, and only then, are we allowed to groan. Or go to the pub.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever recovered from Gerry Francis's corners of the 90's.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Short Corners on 07:39 - Aug 1 with 537 viewsPommyhoop

If we get Samba we will score from a couple.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Short Corners on 07:41 - Aug 1 with 533 viewsLowerloftLad

Well we scored against bolton and the linesman was in so much shock he said it never went in :)

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Short Corners on 07:52 - Aug 1 with 515 viewslondonscottish

I thought Adel's delivery from corners and other set pieces was pretty good in the 2nd half of last season, no?

It looked to me as if Hughes had told JB to step down from kicking duty (thankfully, as I thought his deliveries were more often than not very poor) and that maybe he was encouraging AT to develop his skills.

Anyone else agree?

In any case, MH and coaching staff will surely have this issue firmly on the to do list for 2012/13 as Rangers have consistently failed in an area where other teams do far better.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Short Corners on 08:24 - Aug 1 with 485 viewsak68

Gino Padula's corners showed how to cause mayhem in the box, delivered at pace and not just floated in. Another threatening routine had Steve Palmer, Danny and Clarke Carlisle all charging in as a trio from the edge of the box, frightening at the best of times. We then went to the crowd round the keeper routine and just kept getting penalised for the merest touch.

I vaguely remember when Lee Cook was taking the corners someone said that they were much better in practice. I can see that taking corners at LR is different from the training ground and for that matter other grounds as Juan Mata discovered. In training you can't replicate the crowd whispering sweet nothings into your ear from two feet away.
Short Corners on 08:35 - Aug 1 with 466 viewsVish

Short Corners on 07:52 - Aug 1 by londonscottish

I thought Adel's delivery from corners and other set pieces was pretty good in the 2nd half of last season, no?

It looked to me as if Hughes had told JB to step down from kicking duty (thankfully, as I thought his deliveries were more often than not very poor) and that maybe he was encouraging AT to develop his skills.

Anyone else agree?

In any case, MH and coaching staff will surely have this issue firmly on the to do list for 2012/13 as Rangers have consistently failed in an area where other teams do far better.

Barton, when at Newcastle, had the highest number of assists in the Premier League from set pieces.
Short Corners on 08:40 - Aug 1 with 463 viewsHantsR

You know, I'm pretty sure that we scored from a corner by SWP last season

I noticed that there were quite a few times that we made out that we were going to take a short corner, thereby drawing a defender out, then taking a direct corner - usually unproductive.
Short Corners on 08:41 - Aug 1 with 461 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gerry Francis tried to coach this routine back in the 90's sometime, trying it out at a few pre-season friendlies. It involved all the Rangers players bunching in the area like swimmers afraid of sharks, then breaking at the last second to create confusion. Confusion it definitely caused. Not only did their markers not know where to pick them up, they didn't even know where to find them. Released from their claustrophobic confines, the Rangers players immediately careered around the park like lit fireworks. At Harrow Boro, Karl Ready and Dominic Iorfa catherine wheeled through the tea bar, turning it into a Jackson Pollock bovril riot. Karl even got some marmite splashed on his white handbag. Players had to be brought back by the dog pound lads from as far away as the catholic Club car park before the game could be resumed.

Meanwhile, the corner-taker had accurately floated the ball into the precise area where the huddle had been, the only area of South Harrow where no Rangers player now resided.

The experiment was abandoned.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Short Corners on 08:55 - Aug 1 with 439 viewsA40Bosh

Short Corners on 08:41 - Aug 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Gerry Francis tried to coach this routine back in the 90's sometime, trying it out at a few pre-season friendlies. It involved all the Rangers players bunching in the area like swimmers afraid of sharks, then breaking at the last second to create confusion. Confusion it definitely caused. Not only did their markers not know where to pick them up, they didn't even know where to find them. Released from their claustrophobic confines, the Rangers players immediately careered around the park like lit fireworks. At Harrow Boro, Karl Ready and Dominic Iorfa catherine wheeled through the tea bar, turning it into a Jackson Pollock bovril riot. Karl even got some marmite splashed on his white handbag. Players had to be brought back by the dog pound lads from as far away as the catholic Club car park before the game could be resumed.

Meanwhile, the corner-taker had accurately floated the ball into the precise area where the huddle had been, the only area of South Harrow where no Rangers player now resided.

The experiment was abandoned.

Brian,

You've obviously started rolling some puff early doors this morning!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Short Corners on 08:59 - Aug 1 with 433 viewsKevinPR

Derry v Liverpool

Cisse v Stoke

were pretty important goals scored from corners last season.
Short Corners on 09:38 - Aug 1 with 394 viewsTW_R

Dyer takes a pretty good corner apparently!
Short Corners on 09:41 - Aug 1 with 390 viewsNorthernr

Short Corners on 08:24 - Aug 1 by ak68

Gino Padula's corners showed how to cause mayhem in the box, delivered at pace and not just floated in. Another threatening routine had Steve Palmer, Danny and Clarke Carlisle all charging in as a trio from the edge of the box, frightening at the best of times. We then went to the crowd round the keeper routine and just kept getting penalised for the merest touch.

I vaguely remember when Lee Cook was taking the corners someone said that they were much better in practice. I can see that taking corners at LR is different from the training ground and for that matter other grounds as Juan Mata discovered. In training you can't replicate the crowd whispering sweet nothings into your ear from two feet away.

Quite often Gino would reject the convention of crossing the ball and simply go for goal himself directly. I remember a goal in a 4-1 home win against Hartlepool where he banged one in from a corner.
Short Corners on 09:48 - Aug 1 with 382 viewsTW_R

Short Corners on 09:41 - Aug 1 by Northernr

Quite often Gino would reject the convention of crossing the ball and simply go for goal himself directly. I remember a goal in a 4-1 home win against Hartlepool where he banged one in from a corner.

Simon - one of the guys who helped run this site back in the rivals days with Ron - (now on QPRnet) - take the best corners ever. We played a game against Northampton supporters many moons ago and in the warm up he was putting them into the net from the corner flag. Bizarrely he didn't want to play in the game though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024