Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism 13:38 - May 20 with 9520 viewsElHoop

Seems a long time to wait to make a claim. Can you do that? They've got a point though - a bit of 'Stairway to Heaven' is definitely there.

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/77406

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 13:55 - May 20 with 5577 viewsTheBlob

F*ck...
I dunno if there's much chance - there was a similarity between Bowie's "Starman" and "Somewhere over the rainbow " that they were going to look at.Depends how deep your pockets are to pay the lawyers really.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 15:00 - May 20 with 5515 viewsMonahoop

This sort of thing has been going on for a long time in the world of music and few claimants ever win. Many songwriters are known to borrow riffs or make them sound similar to others sometimes without even knowing it. Not until the song or tune is played do they realise it sounds like someone elses work. Many musicians will just cite that they were influenced by others with no intended plagiarism meant. I think the Kinks kicked up a bit of a stink towards The Doors, when the latter wrote Hello I Love You which 'borrowed' the same riff as the Kinks All Day and All of the Night. Not sure if anything came of it.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 15:01 - May 20 with 5513 viewsA40Bosh

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 13:55 - May 20 by TheBlob

F*ck...
I dunno if there's much chance - there was a similarity between Bowie's "Starman" and "Somewhere over the rainbow " that they were going to look at.Depends how deep your pockets are to pay the lawyers really.

If you think about it, as there a finite number of actual musical notes available in western music, at some point, melodies will sound similar when there has been no conscious intent to replicate another artists creation, be it a whole line, a partial phrase, a hook. I suppose there is more scope for arguing plagiarism with song lyrics but even then the chances of someone coming up with the same line in popular music has to be high.

However, there ARE those "popular" artists who surely must be taking the p@ss or felt at the time it was a "tribute" to the original as opposed to Plagiarism...

and that is not his only "tribute" eh Paul.

Edit: In fairness Jeff Lynne is credited as one of the writers of the changing man according to the Wiki page on the Stanley Road Album!
[Post edited 20 May 2014 15:07]

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 15:33 - May 20 with 5466 viewsElHoop

Weller is one of the worst culprits - 'Start' and 'Taxman' by the Beatles (Harrison) are quite similar. Then again Harrison was a naughty boy once with 'My Sweet Lord' copying 'He's so Fine' and he did get done for it.
Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 15:35 - May 20 with 5450 viewsQPunkR

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 15:33 - May 20 by ElHoop

Weller is one of the worst culprits - 'Start' and 'Taxman' by the Beatles (Harrison) are quite similar. Then again Harrison was a naughty boy once with 'My Sweet Lord' copying 'He's so Fine' and he did get done for it.

Aye, I believe that's the most famous case of this type of thing

QPR - "shit but local"

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 17:39 - May 20 with 5376 viewsizlingtonhoop

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 15:35 - May 20 by QPunkR

Aye, I believe that's the most famous case of this type of thing

On a documentary on Kurt Cobain I was watching the other day a talking head pointed this out:

at 29 seconds there it is.

Smells like Jeyes Fluid..
Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 18:05 - May 20 with 5339 viewsloftboy

Back in the 80's there were three hits in the charts with the same title.
The power of love, Jennifer rush, Huey Lewis and Frankish goes to Hollywood, don't remember any legal action then.
[Post edited 20 May 2014 18:06]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 18:18 - May 20 with 5325 viewsJuzzie

"If you think about it, as there a finite number of actual musical notes available in western music, at some point, melodies will sound similar when there has been no conscious intent to replicate another artists creation, be it a whole line, a partial phrase, a hook. I suppose there is more scope for arguing plagiarism with song lyrics but even then the chances of someone coming up with the same line in popular music has to be high."

I had this conversation with my Dad a few years ago what with him being a retired musician (had 3 albums released as the drummer for Skin Alley amongst many other notable things in the late 60's/early-mid 70's) and he agreed about there being a finite amount.

The difficult thing is to decide is if something just happens to sound the same as something done years earlier (there was a boy band single a year or so ago where the opening riff sounded like a Joe Jackson track) or it was intentionally ripped off.
[Post edited 20 May 2014 18:20]
Login to get fewer ads

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 18:41 - May 20 with 5286 viewsHAYESBOY

Probably more songs ripped of than people realize.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 19:24 - May 20 with 5239 viewsTheBlob

Settlement in this one there was....

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 19:31 - May 20 with 5232 viewsTheBlob

I f*cking hate Rap......

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 20:02 - May 20 with 5198 viewsTheBlob

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 15:01 - May 20 by A40Bosh

If you think about it, as there a finite number of actual musical notes available in western music, at some point, melodies will sound similar when there has been no conscious intent to replicate another artists creation, be it a whole line, a partial phrase, a hook. I suppose there is more scope for arguing plagiarism with song lyrics but even then the chances of someone coming up with the same line in popular music has to be high.

However, there ARE those "popular" artists who surely must be taking the p@ss or felt at the time it was a "tribute" to the original as opposed to Plagiarism...

and that is not his only "tribute" eh Paul.

Edit: In fairness Jeff Lynne is credited as one of the writers of the changing man according to the Wiki page on the Stanley Road Album!
[Post edited 20 May 2014 15:07]

You could make a case for ELO v Beeadles' "I am the Walrus"...mostly the arrangement....

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 20:41 - May 20 with 5162 viewsCamberleyR

Noel Gallagher's made a tidy fortune out of ripping off other people's songs.

"Shakermaker" rips off "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing"
"Stand By Me" in the chorus rips off "All The Young Dudes"
"She's Electric" nicks the ending of "With A Little Help From My Friends" are just three off the top of my head I can think of, I'm sure there are more.

After "Come Together" was released, a few years later John Lennon was sued by the publishers of Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" and as compensation for losing the lawsuit had to record three of the publishers (Morris Levy) songs including You Can't Catch Me for his "Rock 'n' Roll" album.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 23:03 - May 20 with 5068 viewsCiderwithRsie

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 15:00 - May 20 by Monahoop

This sort of thing has been going on for a long time in the world of music and few claimants ever win. Many songwriters are known to borrow riffs or make them sound similar to others sometimes without even knowing it. Not until the song or tune is played do they realise it sounds like someone elses work. Many musicians will just cite that they were influenced by others with no intended plagiarism meant. I think the Kinks kicked up a bit of a stink towards The Doors, when the latter wrote Hello I Love You which 'borrowed' the same riff as the Kinks All Day and All of the Night. Not sure if anything came of it.

I always wondered about Hello I Love You/All Day And All of the Night - I mean, they're not just a bit similar, they are pretty much the same bloody riff, and that's about all there is to either song, melodically at least.

The Led Zep thing is a bit ironic - they quite openly used old blues tracks and re-worked them into something new [e.g. When the Levee breaks"] - the drumming of which has in turn been sampled countless times.

I've always been convinced that the bass line of Stevie Wonder's "The Higher Ground' is ripped off from, of all people, Lemmy, on Hawkwind's "Orgone Accumulator." Higher Ground was written in May 1973 - Orgone Accumulator is on Space Ritual, performed and recorded in 1972 and released in 1973. I swear that I came across a press clipping of Hawkwind's 1973 tour of the US with Stevie Wonder amongst the audience, and said to myself "Aha..."
Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 23:06 - May 20 with 5068 viewsElHoop

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 20:41 - May 20 by CamberleyR

Noel Gallagher's made a tidy fortune out of ripping off other people's songs.

"Shakermaker" rips off "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing"
"Stand By Me" in the chorus rips off "All The Young Dudes"
"She's Electric" nicks the ending of "With A Little Help From My Friends" are just three off the top of my head I can think of, I'm sure there are more.

After "Come Together" was released, a few years later John Lennon was sued by the publishers of Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" and as compensation for losing the lawsuit had to record three of the publishers (Morris Levy) songs including You Can't Catch Me for his "Rock 'n' Roll" album.

I think that Gallagher got done for Shakermaker.

He himself admitted that 'Don't Look Back in Anger' was derived from All The Young Dudes but the beginning sounds like 'Imagine'. The title came from a Bowie song Look back in Anger, so he mixed it up a bit. He also borrowed a whole load of Beatle themes without actually nicking a song. Wonderwall was an obscure Harrison film score. Be Here Now was also a Harrison song. Oasis was the venue of the Beatles' first ever Manchester gig. There's loads of other Beatle references in their songs.
Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 23:37 - May 20 with 5049 viewsted_hendrix

I think it was Richards who said the best riffs are stolen riffs and of course he's right.

The world of music owes a huge debt to Robert Johnson and the like.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 02:37 - May 21 with 4998 viewsSonofNorfolt

CiderwithRosie is right about Page. He undoubtedly 'lifted' many blues chords for Zep.

As for Randy California, Jeezus he's been dead for over 15 years, and I'm sure his path crossed Page's in the late '60's/ early '70's. This is tenuous at most.

Noel Gallagher, plagiarist Champ supreme (which he doesn't deny), must have had to pay Zep for 'Fukkin in the bushes', completely and utterly stolen from 'The Immigrant Song'.

Coldplay also legally lifted Kraftwerk's 'Computer Love' for one of their poxy songs, because Ralf Hutter gave permission, (and probably gets a nice bank transfer every six months.)

Has anyone heard the B-side to a Rolf Harris single, (am I allowed to say this?) 'War Canoe' which was basically used as 'Prince Charming' by Adam and the Ants? Probably paying for his court costs as I write. I had no sympathy for the Aussie kindergarten teacher until hearing today about the victim's lying about selling the story.
Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 07:36 - May 21 with 4955 viewsHamtuneR

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 18:05 - May 20 by loftboy

The power of love, Jennifer rush, Huey Lewis and Frankish goes to Hollywood, don't remember any legal action then.

There's no copyright on title, Loftboy. 💃
Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 07:37 - May 21 with 4953 viewsElHoop

On the subject of Rolf, Gallagher has also been done by Gary Glitter for 'Hello' and Glitter has probably earned more from Oasis than anything else for quite a few years now.
Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 09:45 - May 21 with 4884 viewsBlackCrowe

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 23:03 - May 20 by CiderwithRsie

I always wondered about Hello I Love You/All Day And All of the Night - I mean, they're not just a bit similar, they are pretty much the same bloody riff, and that's about all there is to either song, melodically at least.

The Led Zep thing is a bit ironic - they quite openly used old blues tracks and re-worked them into something new [e.g. When the Levee breaks"] - the drumming of which has in turn been sampled countless times.

I've always been convinced that the bass line of Stevie Wonder's "The Higher Ground' is ripped off from, of all people, Lemmy, on Hawkwind's "Orgone Accumulator." Higher Ground was written in May 1973 - Orgone Accumulator is on Space Ritual, performed and recorded in 1972 and released in 1973. I swear that I came across a press clipping of Hawkwind's 1973 tour of the US with Stevie Wonder amongst the audience, and said to myself "Aha..."

Organ Accumlator - now there's a track. Need to dust that one off and have listen again for the first time in about 20 years.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 10:11 - May 21 with 4863 viewsCiderwithRsie

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 02:37 - May 21 by SonofNorfolt

CiderwithRosie is right about Page. He undoubtedly 'lifted' many blues chords for Zep.

As for Randy California, Jeezus he's been dead for over 15 years, and I'm sure his path crossed Page's in the late '60's/ early '70's. This is tenuous at most.

Noel Gallagher, plagiarist Champ supreme (which he doesn't deny), must have had to pay Zep for 'Fukkin in the bushes', completely and utterly stolen from 'The Immigrant Song'.

Coldplay also legally lifted Kraftwerk's 'Computer Love' for one of their poxy songs, because Ralf Hutter gave permission, (and probably gets a nice bank transfer every six months.)

Has anyone heard the B-side to a Rolf Harris single, (am I allowed to say this?) 'War Canoe' which was basically used as 'Prince Charming' by Adam and the Ants? Probably paying for his court costs as I write. I had no sympathy for the Aussie kindergarten teacher until hearing today about the victim's lying about selling the story.

The thing about Led Zep is that they took those old blues riffs - that they knew and loved and the general public didn't listen to anyway - and made something new. Maybe a royalty cheque or two should have been paid but it's genuinely a creative act and based on love for the originals.

Another weird example - Glenn Matlock admits the opening riff of Pretty Vacant comes from "Knowing Me Knowing You." Does that make the Pistols an Abba rip-off band? B*llocks it does.

Neol Gallagher oversteps the mark IMO. I accept that he genuinely loves the source material, but what he does with it is just too close to being a cover version, there's not enough reworking of the material to take into a different direction that the original artist would never have gone to.
Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 10:54 - May 21 with 4849 viewsLythamR

Its a bit of a nonesense isnt it

if page gets done for stairway to heaven it will unleash such a explosion of litigation.

Page himself could launch thousands of suits, his compositions have been ripped and sampled possibly more than any other musician in the world

at the end of the day it should be about what is acheived musically with an arrangement

Kurt will have grown up with that Boston riff like many of us have, its what Kurt did with it that counts

Play Jean Genie by david Bowie then Blockbuster by sweet
Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 11:19 - May 21 with 4817 viewsDiscodroid

so called superstar DJ'S have been plagiarizing dance music since fischer price bought out decks for toddlers.

makes me sick to see any tool with the tools ripping of soul, funk dance music under the guise of sweedish house maffia of calvin harris or whatever they fk there called.

the old school boys paid there dues and picked up the pint pots at the end of the night and tried to break new genres of music before some bright spark decided it would be a good idea to throw £5000 per set at some one who took 5 years to learn how to beat mix,.

thus.....

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/18/5727788/snl-digital-shorts-return-with-davvinc

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 11:22 - May 21 with 4820 viewseastside_r

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 18:05 - May 20 by loftboy

However Huey Lewis did make (and continues to make) a huge packet out of the Ghostbusters' theme, which sounds exactly like his song 'I Need a New Drug'.

I think he initially sued for c $40million.
Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 12:51 - May 21 with 4795 viewsTheBlob

Led Zepp in trouble for plagiarism on 11:19 - May 21 by Discodroid

so called superstar DJ'S have been plagiarizing dance music since fischer price bought out decks for toddlers.

makes me sick to see any tool with the tools ripping of soul, funk dance music under the guise of sweedish house maffia of calvin harris or whatever they fk there called.

the old school boys paid there dues and picked up the pint pots at the end of the night and tried to break new genres of music before some bright spark decided it would be a good idea to throw £5000 per set at some one who took 5 years to learn how to beat mix,.

thus.....

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/18/5727788/snl-digital-shorts-return-with-davvinc

The difference is there's not much money to be made suing these bums.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024