Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gardening advice 08:48 - Jul 16 with 4352 viewskingsburyR

Morning all,

I have to move three decent size bushes (there ever green shrubs or bushes) across my garden to save them from building work.

Any advise of what I have to put in the new hole before I insert the bush to stop it from dying???

Legit question (for a change)

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Gardening advice on 09:05 - Jul 16 with 3815 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I think it depends on what sort of bush they are on chances of survival but I recently moved a couple and they seem OK. I just dug out around it keeping as much roots as possible then just put a bit of water in the new hole before planting and continue to regularly water for a few days if there is no rain.
Gardening advice on 09:08 - Jul 16 with 3810 viewsBrightonhoop

Lots of compost and water basically. The hardest part is lifting the whole root. Dig a wide berth around them using a fork so as not to wreck the root structure and loosen the earth as you go. Soak the new holes the night before so the root has something to work with and use a high grade compost.
Then water them daily, once in, until it is clear new growth is present.
It's not an easy task so be prepared that not all may take.
Gardening advice on 09:27 - Jul 16 with 3789 viewsdistortR

it would be good to know or see what plants you have to give more informed advice? Moving plants in the growing season will cause them stress but is, as in this case, sometimes worth attempting. Give them a good water 2 or 3 days before moving them. Normally i would cut the plant back before moving it, to maintain a healthy root/shoot ratio, but some plants will not sprout from old wood, so......and some species are better to simply replace. Planting hole as what Brighton said, although different species have different compost requirements. As brighton said, fill hole with water and let it drain before planting. Make sure hole is large enough to comfortably accomodate the root ball and break up the bottom very well, and fork the sides. Make sure the backfill is well broken up and 50% compost max, though i would actually use much less if you are planting into decent garden soil. Initially give the plant a deep water, and then keep moist but not waterlogged. Good luck! If possible, show us the plants first!
Gardening advice on 09:37 - Jul 16 with 3779 viewsBrightonhoop

It's great this board for tips and advice init, gardening and non-gardening related.
Gardening advice on 10:02 - Jul 16 with 3757 viewsDorse

Bush? Hole? Insert?

Holloway?! Holloway! This one's for you!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Gardening advice on 10:12 - Jul 16 with 3743 viewsDiscodroids

I love a bit of Gardening. When i was in rehab back in 2003 they gave us a vegetable patch to tend and some flowers to cultivate. Id never really bothered before that now it gives me a sense of fulfilment and self worth. I even talk to my flowers as well . I must look like Kim Philby passing on war head codes to the soviets to my neighbors but i dont care.

Id make gardening one of the 12 steps in N.A / A.A

well proud of my Lupins.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2016 10:13]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Gardening advice on 10:22 - Jul 16 with 3732 viewslondonscottish

Gardening advice on 10:12 - Jul 16 by Discodroids

I love a bit of Gardening. When i was in rehab back in 2003 they gave us a vegetable patch to tend and some flowers to cultivate. Id never really bothered before that now it gives me a sense of fulfilment and self worth. I even talk to my flowers as well . I must look like Kim Philby passing on war head codes to the soviets to my neighbors but i dont care.

well proud of my Lupins.

I could happily potter about in the garden for days on end. Maximum chillage.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Gardening advice on 10:33 - Jul 16 with 3726 viewsted_hendrix

Happy to report that we've been eating veg etcetera from the garden for weeks now, the weather is shit but the cucumbers (I've got 14 plants on the go) are a big success so are the courgettes (I hate them) carrots we're now eating probably start eating the onions by the end of the Month.
Radishes are in abundance but the lettuces are a bit slow, late strawberries just getting a few every few days, thorn less blackberries (second year bushes are full of young berries).
One apple and one pear tree doing just fine.

Cant beat sitting in the garden late evening strumming a few chords on the old Washburn .
Just wish the sun would come out more often and lay some rays on me.

Hey Joe.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Gardening advice on 10:53 - Jul 16 with 3706 viewsDiscodroids

Ive only got a poxy 25 ft garden at the moment in North chingford, but looking to move to leigh on sea middle of next year with a big garden by the warm sea air. Already got my name down for a half plot allotment there. I can honestly say gardening gives me more joy than an henry of petrol washed south american quakers oats ever did.

weird gig, life.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Gardening advice on 11:12 - Jul 16 with 3682 viewsjohncharles

Gardening advice on 10:33 - Jul 16 by ted_hendrix

Happy to report that we've been eating veg etcetera from the garden for weeks now, the weather is shit but the cucumbers (I've got 14 plants on the go) are a big success so are the courgettes (I hate them) carrots we're now eating probably start eating the onions by the end of the Month.
Radishes are in abundance but the lettuces are a bit slow, late strawberries just getting a few every few days, thorn less blackberries (second year bushes are full of young berries).
One apple and one pear tree doing just fine.

Cant beat sitting in the garden late evening strumming a few chords on the old Washburn .
Just wish the sun would come out more often and lay some rays on me.

Hey Joe.

Strumming the old Washburn ? Another one for Holloway..

But honestly Ted it sounds idyllic. Best of luck with the sun.

Strong and stable my arse.

Gardening advice on 11:36 - Jul 16 with 3656 viewsBoston

To er enhance a properties sales potential I once relocated a number of mature trees. Dug 'em out of a garden in Harrow and transplanted in Wembley, it softened the view of the railway down the end of the yard. House sold, trees died, obviously finding the climate in the Borough of Brent a touch more challenging.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Gardening advice on 12:45 - Jul 16 with 3623 viewsWokingR

It's really not the right time to be doing this as ideally this should only be done when the plants are dormant in winter. If it really can't wait then follow Brightons advice and water, water and water
Gardening advice on 13:02 - Jul 16 with 3605 views18StoneOfHoop

Gardening advice on 10:12 - Jul 16 by Discodroids

well proud of my Lupins.

King George 3rd got on top of his madness for a while with a spot of gardening.
#TisGreatTherapyToBeSure

The odd bits of unskilled casual landscape gardening labouring - my best mate since 11,a C**tski fan, runs his own business,pushes a bit of work my way when he can - keeps me sane and away from rank impecuniousness and the gutter.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2016 13:11]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Gardening advice on 13:32 - Jul 16 with 3546 viewsDiscodroids

Gardening advice on 13:02 - Jul 16 by 18StoneOfHoop

King George 3rd got on top of his madness for a while with a spot of gardening.
#TisGreatTherapyToBeSure

The odd bits of unskilled casual landscape gardening labouring - my best mate since 11,a C**tski fan, runs his own business,pushes a bit of work my way when he can - keeps me sane and away from rank impecuniousness and the gutter.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2016 13:11]

there aint a day that goes by that i dont look across that tatty desk of mine in the probation service and think there but for the grace of god . Music, Gardening , Decent beer and the love of a saintly woman keeps me on the straight and narrow these days 18 stone.

ps. I Enjoyed your pictures last week of you're session down the boozer with your mates. Gave me a chuckle !. good on yer.

Gardening advice on 14:14 - Jul 16 with 3521 viewspaulparker

Mrs P is very green fingered we have Rosemary, mint , sage , in the herb garden
She grows carrots , tomatoes, spuds, and purple sprouting broccoli in the veg section
A proper Charlie dimmock
Speaking for myself the only garden I know is the pub one and the only thing I've grown is a beard

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Gardening advice on 14:46 - Jul 16 with 3496 viewsBoston

Gardening advice on 14:14 - Jul 16 by paulparker

She grows carrots , tomatoes, spuds, and purple sprouting broccoli in the veg section
A proper Charlie dimmock
Speaking for myself the only garden I know is the pub one and the only thing I've grown is a beard

Grown....lazy, up, old, my own!

Gardening advice on 20:08 - Jul 16 with 3384 viewsBrightonhoop

Gardening advice on 14:14 - Jul 16 by paulparker

A proper Charlie dimmock

Well PP, have you considered commencing and honing those yet to discover gardening skills? Can I suggest beard topiary for beginners?
Gardening advice on 20:52 - Jul 16 with 3367 viewscheeseydane

Gardening advice on 12:45 - Jul 16 by WokingR

It's really not the right time to be doing this as ideally this should only be done when the plants are dormant in winter. If it really can't wait then follow Brightons advice and water, water and water

Sorry mate.... but that is simply not true.
Deciduous plants best moved as soon as they drop their leaves in early autumn.
Evergreens...generally best moved a little earlier at the end of summer.
Moving plants in winter is not a good idea.
Distort gave some good tips ... although check the plants soil requirements. Many evergreens need acid soil with a low PH value. If this is so... prepare the soil b4 hand.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2016 21:02]

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Gardening advice on 21:02 - Jul 16 with 3355 viewskingsburyR

Three moved....two large muthas to be moved in the morning.

Also decided to try and dug two large ivy roots. Bad idea...they were massive and very long!!!

I'm off to water them again!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Gardening advice on 22:31 - Jul 16 with 3308 viewssmegma

Feck me with a large marrow, I thought Percy Thrower was brown bread
Gardening advice on 22:48 - Jul 16 with 3292 viewsBoston

Gardening advice on 22:31 - Jul 16 by smegma

Feck me with a large marrow, I thought Percy Thrower was brown bread

Move over Ipswich.

Gardening advice on 23:39 - Jul 16 with 3265 viewsBrightonhoop

Gardening advice on 20:52 - Jul 16 by cheeseydane

Sorry mate.... but that is simply not true.
Deciduous plants best moved as soon as they drop their leaves in early autumn.
Evergreens...generally best moved a little earlier at the end of summer.
Moving plants in winter is not a good idea.
Distort gave some good tips ... although check the plants soil requirements. Many evergreens need acid soil with a low PH value. If this is so... prepare the soil b4 hand.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2016 21:02]

Quite right actually Dane, the ph values in the soil can be very important. Evergreens have barely got going this year due to the lack of summer so it's safe to do so this year, so long as they are well watered from now through August.
I remember we had 2 apple trees and a pear tree, one apple was a cooking apple the other an eater. The pear tree never flourished, so my dad grafted it onto one of the apple trees and it took off. Bizarre, one tree producing apples and pears, how the fck do you do that?
Gardening advice on 08:37 - Jul 17 with 3186 viewsdistortR

Gardening advice on 21:02 - Jul 16 by kingsburyR

Three moved....two large muthas to be moved in the morning.

Also decided to try and dug two large ivy roots. Bad idea...they were massive and very long!!!

I'm off to water them again!

Bone meal. Forgot to say, add bone meal to the backfill to stimulate root growth
Gardening advice on 11:39 - Jul 17 with 3136 viewsHantsR

Lots of good advice here. e.g. Keep well watered; keep as much of the rootball as possible; cut back foliage; bone meal etc.

Recently I had anew garage built and had to move several shrubs - I achieved this by keeping them as intact as possible (as per above) then parking them in clear plastic bags with damp compost in shady places until the time came to put them back near their original homes - all seemed to work well anyway. Did it in spring this year - along with a mild autumn when soil is still warm and moist (stoppit!) I think is the best time. Starting to get a bit too hot and dry down these parts at the moment.

Mrs Hants seems to be taking over most of the planting and moving on our little estate - now termed her 'lady garden'
Gardening advice on 16:21 - Jul 17 with 3088 viewsDiscodroids

Gardening Tip learned from this afternoon..

In hot weather, do not attempt to remove any loose threads or plaits from your straw hat by burning them away with a Zippo. It'll go up like the bloody Hindenburg.

That is all.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2016 16:31]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024