Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar 12:19 - Apr 4 with 19324 views2Thomas2Bowles

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43639183

Now I know most of us think the gun laws in the US are crazy but they have the right to protect themselves and their homes.

I can't see how this is not reasonable force and self-defense.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 12:21 - Apr 4 with 12240 viewstoboboly

Strange as he was defending himself and the burglar had the weapon so doubt he will get convicted.

Agree that if some fcker comes into your house intending harm then they become fair game should you want to go all hostel on them.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 12:23 - Apr 4 with 12224 views2Thomas2Bowles

Elsewhere 48 people have been stabbed or shot dead in London with little or no provocation this year so far.

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 12:30 - Apr 4 with 12186 viewsstevec

The Old Bill do love an easy arrest.
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 12:40 - Apr 4 with 12154 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Let's hope he's released without charge.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 12:43 - Apr 4 with 12141 viewshopphoops

Well anyone who stabs and kills someone will get arrested. The issue of self-defence will be addressed at the trial.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 12:44 - Apr 4 with 12138 viewsstowmarketrange

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 12:30 - Apr 4 by stevec

The Old Bill do love an easy arrest.

At least they can’t charge him with having no tv licence.
Surely he could only be charged with manslaughter,not murder?I know it’s a technicality but he didn’t set out to kill the burglar did he?
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 12:45 - Apr 4 with 12125 viewsJuzzie

"One suspect, armed with a screwdriver, forced the man into his kitchen where a struggle ensued and he was stabbed, Scotland Yard said."

"struggle ensued" being the key words. How's that murder then? It's not as though the man sought out the people and went after them and attacked them. He was defending his home as anyone of us would do. I certainly would with Mrs Juzzie and two small kids at home.

[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 12:47]
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar (n/t) on 12:50 - Apr 4 with 12095 views2Thomas2Bowles

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 12:43 - Apr 4 by hopphoops

Well anyone who stabs and kills someone will get arrested. The issue of self-defence will be addressed at the trial.

Login to get fewer ads

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar (n/t) on 12:50 - Apr 4 with 12095 views2Thomas2Bowles

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 12:43 - Apr 4 by hopphoops

Will be down to CPS but why waste money on this, a trial will likely kill him.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 12:53]

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar (n/t) on 12:51 - Apr 4 with 12084 viewshopphoops

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar (n/t) on 12:50 - Apr 4 by 2Thomas2Bowles

You have the right to remain silent :)

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar (n/t) on 12:52 - Apr 4 with 12073 viewsisawqpratwcity

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar (n/t) on 12:50 - Apr 4 by 2Thomas2Bowles

We didn't hear you the first time. There was no need to not repeat it.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar (n/t) on 12:54 - Apr 4 with 12064 views2Thomas2Bowles

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar (n/t) on 12:52 - Apr 4 by isawqpratwcity

We didn't hear you the first time. There was no need to not repeat it.

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 13:16 - Apr 4 with 11971 viewsNorthernr

Just to play devil's advocate (I completely agree that if you break into somebody's house you should be completely fair game) the police rock up to a house, there's a bloke dead with a screwdriver in his chest, there's another bloke there who says "he broke in and tried to kill me, I accidentally killed him in the struggle" do you want them to just believe him and send him on his way? Agree if he's charged and the CPS take it to trial then it's ridiculous but let's wait and see...
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 13:33 - Apr 4 with 11908 views2Thomas2Bowles

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 13:16 - Apr 4 by Northernr

Just to play devil's advocate (I completely agree that if you break into somebody's house you should be completely fair game) the police rock up to a house, there's a bloke dead with a screwdriver in his chest, there's another bloke there who says "he broke in and tried to kill me, I accidentally killed him in the struggle" do you want them to just believe him and send him on his way? Agree if he's charged and the CPS take it to trial then it's ridiculous but let's wait and see...

Well the way I see it they (two intruders) were in his house, from that moment on feck them.

In the US the cops and the press would be praising him and your friend Trump would be giving him a medal.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 13:35]

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 13:46 - Apr 4 with 11857 viewsNorthernr

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 13:33 - Apr 4 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Well the way I see it they (two intruders) were in his house, from that moment on feck them.

In the US the cops and the press would be praising him and your friend Trump would be giving him a medal.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 13:35]

I agree feck em if that's the case. What I'm saying is the police turn up, there's a bloke with a screwdriver in his chest, the other bloke says it was a burglary, you would want the police to at least investigate whether that's true or not, not just take his word for it!
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 15:13 - Apr 4 with 11716 viewsMatch82

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 13:46 - Apr 4 by Northernr

I agree feck em if that's the case. What I'm saying is the police turn up, there's a bloke with a screwdriver in his chest, the other bloke says it was a burglary, you would want the police to at least investigate whether that's true or not, not just take his word for it!

Not going to sell many papers with that headline though are you?
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 15:26 - Apr 4 with 11677 viewsJuzzie

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 13:46 - Apr 4 by Northernr

For me it's the "arrested on suspicion of murder" that's the issue. He should be arrested for the reasons you say but there shouldn't be any comment as to murder, manslaughter, self-defence etc. as that has not been established.

Where has the notion of "suspicion of murder" come from? If not from the Police then maybe it's just (bad) paper sub-headlines but it really should say "A 78-year-old man has been arrested" and stop at that.

[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 15:31]
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 16:06 - Apr 4 with 11610 viewsJAPRANGERS

78 year old man kills a burglar. Good on him! The burglar shouldn't have been there.
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 16:51 - Apr 4 with 11564 viewskensalriser

I wouldn't like to be the prosecutor in that trial.

That said, no one who wasn't there knows exactly what actually happened.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 17:09 - Apr 4 with 11534 viewshopphoops

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 15:26 - Apr 4 by Juzzie

For me it's the "arrested on suspicion of murder" that's the issue. He should be arrested for the reasons you say but there shouldn't be any comment as to murder, manslaughter, self-defence etc. as that has not been established.

Where has the notion of "suspicion of murder" come from? If not from the Police then maybe it's just (bad) paper sub-headlines but it really should say "A 78-year-old man has been arrested" and stop at that.

[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 15:31]

He has my sympathy, I hate to think what would happen if I found someone who'd broken in to my place in the middle of the night. But:

You have to be arrested for something i.e. the arresting officer has to cite the crime in question.

Legal process can be a good thing for the defendant. The CPS must be satisfied there is sufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction, and that prosecuting is in the public interest. Self-defence cases require a jury only to believe the defendant took what seemed to be reasonable steps to defend himself to acquit.

Self-defence is a justification rather than an excuse; and an absolute rather than a mitigating defence - so all or nothing.

If this case is as clear-cut as the story suggests, the CPS will not refer the case and this chap's actions will be formally justified, so he can continue with no suggestion hanging over him that he has done anything unlawful.

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 18:14 - Apr 4 with 11449 viewsBromleyHoop

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 17:09 - Apr 4 by hopphoops

He has my sympathy, I hate to think what would happen if I found someone who'd broken in to my place in the middle of the night. But:

You have to be arrested for something i.e. the arresting officer has to cite the crime in question.

Legal process can be a good thing for the defendant. The CPS must be satisfied there is sufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction, and that prosecuting is in the public interest. Self-defence cases require a jury only to believe the defendant took what seemed to be reasonable steps to defend himself to acquit.

Self-defence is a justification rather than an excuse; and an absolute rather than a mitigating defence - so all or nothing.

If this case is as clear-cut as the story suggests, the CPS will not refer the case and this chap's actions will be formally justified, so he can continue with no suggestion hanging over him that he has done anything unlawful.

If it’s a simple case of elderly homeowner kills burglar in a struggle then not only will there not be a trial but I would suggest that the circumstances could be fully investigated without even arresting the elderly gentleman. This seems to me to be a clear case of the local Police not having the bottle to do the right thing, they have abdicated responsibility to the CPS by just nicking the old boy to avoid any criticism.

He should have been interviewed under caution, no arrest, no time in a cell, CPS could have been consulted while the old boy has a cup of tea at home....or someone else’s home.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 18:24 - Apr 4 with 11416 viewsSimonJames

I'd like to think that there must be more to it than we are being told (i.e. did he know his "victim") - or the charges are being misreported.
Otherwise to charge him with "murder" is utter stupidity and would be rejected out of hand by any sane jury.

100% of people who drink water will die.

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 18:32 - Apr 4 with 11404 views2Thomas2Bowles

It is reported, a second intruder remains at large. if that's true.

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 18:43 - Apr 4 with 11381 viewsBromleyHoop

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 18:24 - Apr 4 by SimonJames

I'd like to think that there must be more to it than we are being told (i.e. did he know his "victim") - or the charges are being misreported.
Otherwise to charge him with "murder" is utter stupidity and would be rejected out of hand by any sane jury.

He’s not been charged according to this report. He’s been arrested. The only aggravating factor could be, like the chap shot by the farmer at his remote farmhouse some years ago, is if the fatal stab wound is in the back. It could be argued that the burglar was in the process of running away when he was stabbed which could be considered to be unreasonable and not proportionate. Which is why that farmer stood trial.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder of burglar on 19:04 - Apr 4 with 11351 viewsDavieQPR

The small but noisy P.C. crowd will accuse him of killing someone who had a difficult upbringing and he should have just pointed out the error of his ways.
The second burglar will receive help and compensation for the trauma.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 19:08]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024