Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Selling Game 22:00 - Jun 29 with 3837 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sold For Profit Since Relegation:

McCarthy £3.5m
Austin £4m
Phillips £5.5m
Kpekawa £0.4m
Bowler £1.5m
Smithies £3.5

TOTAL £18.5m

I don't think that's too bad? Especially considering we've ploughed a lot of that money into Smyths, BOSs, and Wheelers.

The Selling Game on 22:22 - Jun 29 with 3797 viewsbosh67

The bizarre thing is that Bowler actually sold for £4.25m - More than Smithies. we also eventually got our money back on Mutch.

So over £20m

When you think that Smyth, BOS, Wheeler, Scowen, Manning and Freeman have cost us what? £600K altogether? Even Matt Smith at £500K feels like a bargain.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The Selling Game on 22:39 - Jun 29 with 3757 viewsLazyFan

The Selling Game on 22:22 - Jun 29 by bosh67

The bizarre thing is that Bowler actually sold for £4.25m - More than Smithies. we also eventually got our money back on Mutch.

So over £20m

When you think that Smyth, BOS, Wheeler, Scowen, Manning and Freeman have cost us what? £600K altogether? Even Matt Smith at £500K feels like a bargain.

hmmm

I make it approx more like:

Smyth = £50K
BOS = £300K
Wheller = £500K
Freeman = £300K
Manning = £50K
Chair = Free

That makes £1.2m. But I take your point.

Also, Smith is £500K plus a further £500K for a number of appearances.
So, £1m.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

The Selling Game on 23:10 - Jun 29 with 3699 viewsCamberleyR

The Selling Game on 22:22 - Jun 29 by bosh67

So over £20m

Only £1.5m upfront though, the rest was add ons which we may or may not see depending how his career pans out there.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The Selling Game on 23:42 - Jun 29 with 3658 viewshopphoops

We know all there is to know about the selling game.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

The Selling Game on 23:45 - Jun 29 with 3655 viewsFDC

Those figures are the sale prices rather than profits right?
The Selling Game on 23:48 - Jun 29 with 3653 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Selling Game on 23:45 - Jun 29 by FDC

Those figures are the sale prices rather than profits right?

Yes.

My £18m figure was misleading really.
The Selling Game on 07:45 - Jun 30 with 3510 viewsLowerloftLad

we also sold comley to Colchester I know on a smaller sale but with only 6months left on his contrant is a good bit of business
[Post edited 30 Jun 2018 7:49]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

The Selling Game on 08:27 - Jun 30 with 3439 viewsCiderwithRsie

Actually I find the reminder of Austin's fee on top of Smithies a bit depressing, though the fact that he's played so little since perhaps shows why our players aren't as valuable as we think - a guy who was the fulcrum of our team can just go on the rack in the Premiership.

I suspect the problem on both those sales is that a willingness to sell to a Premiership club for a limited profit is one of the reasons we were able to get them at all.

The other thing is that buying Smyths etc is great but they won't all come off - we absolutely can't afford to use the profits to buy players we know straight off have no re-sale value. Old players have virtually got to be on a free.
Login to get fewer ads

The Selling Game on 09:22 - Jun 30 with 3362 viewscolinallcars

The Selling Game on 08:27 - Jun 30 by CiderwithRsie

Actually I find the reminder of Austin's fee on top of Smithies a bit depressing, though the fact that he's played so little since perhaps shows why our players aren't as valuable as we think - a guy who was the fulcrum of our team can just go on the rack in the Premiership.

I suspect the problem on both those sales is that a willingness to sell to a Premiership club for a limited profit is one of the reasons we were able to get them at all.

The other thing is that buying Smyths etc is great but they won't all come off - we absolutely can't afford to use the profits to buy players we know straight off have no re-sale value. Old players have virtually got to be on a free.

Agree about getting older players on a free. It's a shame our experience of older players was sullied by the Hughes era. In the past we signed a lot of older players who were magnificent for us, not just here for a last payday. I refer of cause to the likes of Webb, McClintock, Curry, Jim Langley et al.
The Selling Game on 09:46 - Jun 30 with 3331 viewsLazyFan

The Selling Game on 22:39 - Jun 29 by LazyFan

hmmm

I make it approx more like:

Smyth = £50K
BOS = £300K
Wheller = £500K
Freeman = £300K
Manning = £50K
Chair = Free

That makes £1.2m. But I take your point.

Also, Smith is £500K plus a further £500K for a number of appearances.
So, £1m.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We also bought Goss for £500K.
Whoops!

zzzzzzzzzz

The Selling Game on 11:47 - Jun 30 with 3258 viewssuperstan

Did we get the sell on fee for Sterling in said time?
The Selling Game on 14:05 - Jun 30 with 3146 viewsbosh67

The Selling Game on 11:47 - Jun 30 by superstan

Did we get the sell on fee for Sterling in said time?

I think Sterling is still our record sale at a total, including sell on of £9m?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The Selling Game on 14:09 - Jun 30 with 3140 viewsEsox_Lucius

The Selling Game on 08:27 - Jun 30 by CiderwithRsie

I think Austin has/ is still suffering from injuries which have curtailed his playing time. In a goals per minute played scenario I believe he was Soton's top scorer and was played whenever he was fit. The guy is a natural predatory striker and would always score goals when played.

The grass is always greener.

The Selling Game on 03:54 - Jul 1 with 2947 viewsnix

The Selling Game on 14:09 - Jun 30 by Esox_Lucius

I think Austin has/ is still suffering from injuries which have curtailed his playing time. In a goals per minute played scenario I believe he was Soton's top scorer and was played whenever he was fit. The guy is a natural predatory striker and would always score goals when played.

His injury record is part of the reason we didn’t get more money for him, which has to some extent been proved right as he has been injured for a lot of the time he’s been at Southampton. Indeed the reason we got him in the first place was because he failed a medical at Hull. Having said that, Pellegrino made a stupid decision not to pick him at the beginning of last season when he was fit and they weren’t scoring goals. It probably cost him his job ultimately and allowed Hughesless to swan in and ‘save the day’. Much as I like Charlie, I’m kind of hoping he doesn’t play so well he bails out Hughes this season.

I like our new strategy of bringing in cheaper players and adding value to them. Okay it’s not brought in huge dividends yet, but prefer that to the Forest, Birmingham, Villa strategy of paying fortunes to overrated hasbeens and will never bes.
The Selling Game on 07:55 - Jul 1 with 2882 viewsisawqpratwcity

The Selling Game on 14:05 - Jun 30 by bosh67

I think Sterling is still our record sale at a total, including sell on of £9m?

The deal was clearly bent as a corkscrew, but our record is still Samba at 12 mill.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

The Selling Game on 19:54 - Jul 1 with 2687 viewsrichranger

And the BFG and Cherry.....
The Selling Game on 07:50 - Jul 2 with 2559 viewsHoopstar

Not sure we made much on Chery or Seb.

According to transfermarkt.co.uk (no idea how reliable but always looks pretty detailed) we bought Seb for £2.07 million and sold him for £1.44 m

Same website details we sold Chery for 500,000 euros more than we paid for him so come in slightly out of pocket on the two of them combined
The Selling Game on 07:54 - Jul 2 with 2551 viewsTGRRRSSS

Bit harsh saying Austin's been poor at Saints, injuries aside he's often been unlucky, in the end his goals last season kept them up - not as the Hughes hyperbole would have you believe that he did it.

Still I look forward to a season of struggle for them with that scumbag in charge.
Which is annoying as I like Charlie and want to see him do well.
The Selling Game on 08:13 - Jul 2 with 2531 viewsCiderwithRsie

The Selling Game on 07:54 - Jul 2 by TGRRRSSS

Bit harsh saying Austin's been poor at Saints, injuries aside he's often been unlucky, in the end his goals last season kept them up - not as the Hughes hyperbole would have you believe that he did it.

Still I look forward to a season of struggle for them with that scumbag in charge.
Which is annoying as I like Charlie and want to see him do well.

Don't think anyone's saying he's been poor, certainly not me - more that the stupid economics of the Premier League mean that, even allowing for injuries, his talents have been a bit wasted.

He was such a class act for us - including in the Premiership in a terrible team - I just assumed someone would want him as their first choice striker and that he'd be priced at the level of a top premiership striker. But even if he'd been fit I'm not sure Southampton would have made him first choice, and that's Southampton FFS.

Maybe partly down to his injury record but I think also a bit of snobbery - I never thought he got the credit (outside of QPR) for his scoring record with us, if he'd played for Liverpool people would've been calling for him to play for England. So I think some of our players are undervalued just because they play for us.
The Selling Game on 08:54 - Jul 2 with 2497 viewsTGRRRSSS

Still got 14 in 46 overall apps, which considering many are coming off the bench late is impressive, his injuries aside I also think he's been unfortunate that SAints have beocme a bit of a mess (since Cortese left I think) and a couple of silly managerial appointments have hindered him, next season will be interesting in that he's worked with Hughes before I guess, we shall see.
The Selling Game on 17:29 - Jul 4 with 2265 views00calben

The Selling Game on 08:54 - Jul 2 by TGRRRSSS

Still got 14 in 46 overall apps, which considering many are coming off the bench late is impressive, his injuries aside I also think he's been unfortunate that SAints have beocme a bit of a mess (since Cortese left I think) and a couple of silly managerial appointments have hindered him, next season will be interesting in that he's worked with Hughes before I guess, we shall see.

Where did he work with Hughes before?
The Selling Game on 18:04 - Jul 4 with 2215 viewsGroveR

The Selling Game on 07:55 - Jul 1 by isawqpratwcity

The deal was clearly bent as a corkscrew, but our record is still Samba at 12 mill.

Lost £500k on that one but given how poor he was for us still a good deal. Wages were obviously a total spunk off but could say that about any one of about 30 Redknapp signings.
The Selling Game on 18:53 - Jul 4 with 2169 viewsCamberleyR

The Selling Game on 17:29 - Jul 4 by 00calben

Where did he work with Hughes before?

He hasn't. Prior to joining Southampton his managers have been:

Swindon - Danny Wilson
Burnley - Eddie Howe/Sean Dyche
QPR - Redknapp/Ramsey

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The Selling Game on 20:31 - Jul 4 with 2069 viewsMyke

Did we not get a few bob for Fer too (although perhaps not an overall profit) and we got nearly 10 M when Sterling went to City - pore profit
The Selling Game on 20:49 - Jul 4 with 2047 viewskensalriser

There must be better ways to spend the close season than amateur accountancy.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024