Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! 22:24 - Jan 9 with 4358 viewsloftboy

Probably the only top 6 side who has played a strong team throughout.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 22:43 - Jan 9 with 3411 viewsbosh67

Just the 9 is sloppy though.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 23:36 - Jan 9 with 3346 viewsTacticalR

The magic of the Carabao cup.

Air hostess clique

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 01:56 - Jan 10 with 3247 viewstimcocking

It shows what a farce it all is. How in the name of Christ did Burton make the semi final? I bet the poor bastards wished they hadn't now.
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 02:43 - Jan 10 with 3236 viewsaston_hoop

16 goals in 2 games. I love the fact these players seem to approach Rotherham and Burton the same way they approach a Champions League game. A classy side

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 06:40 - Jan 10 with 3121 viewstraininvain

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 02:43 - Jan 10 by aston_hoop

16 goals in 2 games. I love the fact these players seem to approach Rotherham and Burton the same way they approach a Champions League game. A classy side

I thought City lacked class last night. Play to win but those those Burton players will have had wives and kids there. Biggest game of their careers. City going after double figures and celebrating all the goals like it was a match winner - really poor.

I’m sure others will disagree but in my opinion City could’ve quite easily slowed it down at 5 or 6 and it would’ve saved Burton the embarrassment without compromising the tie.

But glad we didn’t City away in the Cup!
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 07:03 - Jan 10 with 3106 viewsactonman

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 06:40 - Jan 10 by traininvain

I thought City lacked class last night. Play to win but those those Burton players will have had wives and kids there. Biggest game of their careers. City going after double figures and celebrating all the goals like it was a match winner - really poor.

I’m sure others will disagree but in my opinion City could’ve quite easily slowed it down at 5 or 6 and it would’ve saved Burton the embarrassment without compromising the tie.

I did think that too , poor old burton pretty much humiliated and embarrassed on their big night.

However on reflection , had citeh slowed down and kept it to 4 or 5 , is that really in keeping with the game as a competition ? Remember this is a semi final and not a pre season freindly. There’s also the 2nd leg to go , so now there’s absolutely no need to play any of the first team in the next game so can give their multi million pound youngsters a run instead of risking the big boys in burtons back yard where one of there players might think fcuk this and stick sterling or someone in row z For taking the p!ss.
Got to feel for burton as we wouldn’t be far behind that sort of ass whooping if we played them anytime soon.
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 07:37 - Jan 10 with 3065 viewstraininvain

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 07:03 - Jan 10 by actonman

I did think that too , poor old burton pretty much humiliated and embarrassed on their big night.

However on reflection , had citeh slowed down and kept it to 4 or 5 , is that really in keeping with the game as a competition ? Remember this is a semi final and not a pre season freindly. There’s also the 2nd leg to go , so now there’s absolutely no need to play any of the first team in the next game so can give their multi million pound youngsters a run instead of risking the big boys in burtons back yard where one of there players might think fcuk this and stick sterling or someone in row z For taking the p!ss.
Got to feel for burton as we wouldn’t be far behind that sort of ass whooping if we played them anytime soon.

Personally, I think a team like City can score 5 or 6 against a team two leagues below then slow it down without compromising the integrity of the competition.

But I can see why some of the City players would’ve wanted to impress to show the manager they want first team football. I just think that Guardiola should’ve had a word at half time.

Put it this way, if that had been Manchester United under Ferguson I think he’d have told them at half time not to take the piss.

Now I’m sure someone will prove me wrong with a game where a Ferguson team did the same to a team two leagues below them!
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 07:44 - Jan 10 with 3053 viewsBrianMcCarthy

If we're suggesting that the classless Ferguson is somehow a Corinthian God then it shows that reputations grow in retirement!

Didn't see the game last night but in an era when supporters regularly bemoan the poor attitude of players I think it's refreshing that we still have players busting a gut to win their place in the first team.

As for Burton, they will still be delighted to have gotten this far. The prize money, gate money and TV money is invaluable to them.

They took a tonking, No shame in that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 08:15 - Jan 10 with 3012 viewsWokingR

I'm sure Burton will feel that if they can get an early goal in the second leg that that City might crumble
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 08:52 - Jan 10 with 2960 viewskingsburyR

I completely disagree with some of the sentiment above.

To ease up off the gas would have shown Burton disrespect.

They did a great job getting that far but played a team who gave it there all for the entire game as they should.

City had players trying to prove a point to the manager.

Fair play to Burton but it just shows how many teams cant be fu(ked with that competition.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 09:06 - Jan 10 with 2924 viewsToast_R

Burton were terrible
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 09:29 - Jan 10 with 2881 viewsheadhoops

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 06:40 - Jan 10 by traininvain

yeh if only West brom had the same attitude 4-1 would not have been so bad?

did we stop when we tonked Crewe 8-1? Brann Bergen 7-0?
Just realised how long ago those wins were.......

you play to win, I didn't see much showboating just the same intensity from the start.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 09:37 - Jan 10 with 2863 viewsblacky200

I don't think they lacked class for playing like they can. There wasn't any showboating or the city players trying to make the BA players look stupid. They played their game and that was the outcome.
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 09:48 - Jan 10 with 2844 viewsCroydonCaptJack

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 07:44 - Jan 10 by BrianMcCarthy

If we're suggesting that the classless Ferguson is somehow a Corinthian God then it shows that reputations grow in retirement!

Didn't see the game last night but in an era when supporters regularly bemoan the poor attitude of players I think it's refreshing that we still have players busting a gut to win their place in the first team.

As for Burton, they will still be delighted to have gotten this far. The prize money, gate money and TV money is invaluable to them.

They took a tonking, No shame in that.

That is a great post and I totally agree Brian.

It seems people moan about the big clubs not taking it seriously, then moan when they do take it seriously. You can't have it both ways surely?
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 10:02 - Jan 10 with 2824 viewsPhildo

Danny Baker on twitter said he hoped Burton would get an early goal in the second leg so the commentators could say ' now the game is back on' which made me laugh.
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 10:11 - Jan 10 with 2795 viewsTheChef

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 08:52 - Jan 10 by kingsburyR

I completely disagree with some of the sentiment above.

To ease up off the gas would have shown Burton disrespect.

They did a great job getting that far but played a team who gave it there all for the entire game as they should.

City had players trying to prove a point to the manager.

Fair play to Burton but it just shows how many teams cant be fu(ked with that competition.

Agreed with that - and Burton had their chance to equalise at 1-0 but didn't take it.

I predicted 8-0 before the game so was somewhat relieved City got a ninth, or I'd have been kicking myself for not having a cheeky punt!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 10:13 - Jan 10 with 2794 viewsbosh67

I've sold my house and all my possessions and put the lot on Burton turning it around in the second leg... Come on Burton!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 10:50 - Jan 10 with 2721 viewstraininvain

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 09:29 - Jan 10 by headhoops

you play to win, I didn't see much showboating just the same intensity from the start.

Big difference between playing a team in your league and a team a couple of divisions below. And I doubt there's ever been a cup semi final with such a big difference in financial situations.

I'm not saying City shouldn't have taken it seriously. But I just felt that at 5, 6 or even 7 they could have declared and not embarrassed Burton any more.

Totally understand that others feel differently. Just my opinion.
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 11:05 - Jan 10 with 2690 viewsBluce_Ree

I'm chuffed with this. Sure, I hate all big teams (and medium teams and I'm not a fan of any small ones either) and ordinarily would want Burton to beat City but I need a very confident City for the rest of the season so that they can chip away at Liverpool's lead, and confidence, and scupper yet another title attempt.

If Liverpool cock this up I'm going to be as happy as a dog with two dicks.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 11:19 - Jan 10 with 2664 viewsTacticalR

@actonman 'However on reflection , had citeh slowed down and kept it to 4 or 5, is that really in keeping with the game as a competition? Remember this is a semi final and not a pre season freindly.'

Hasn't a result like this in a semi-final shown that this isn't any kind of competition?

Air hostess clique

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 12:13 - Jan 10 with 2592 viewstraininvain

I'm pretty sure that if Germany can slow down in a World Cup semi-final vs Brazil and try not to humiliate them then Man City could do the same against little old Burton Albion.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/world-cup/news/after-halftime-german-players-ag
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 12:40 - Jan 10 with 2560 viewsManinBlack

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 09:29 - Jan 10 by headhoops

By sticking 7 past Rotherham on Sunday they probably got a taste for filling their boots. It could easily have been more as Silva missed an absolute sitter and hit the post.

Don't forget that when we beat Crewe 8-1 we had a second leg to play and were two down in the first 10 minutes of the return eventually losing 3-0 as we didn't give a fig about trying to score.

I wouldn't be surprised if City in the return, with a weakened team, let Burton win 2-1 to give them back a bit of self respect.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2019 12:42]
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 12:58 - Jan 10 with 2523 viewsR_from_afar

Guardiola was respectful in how he spoke about Burton afterwards, plus he made the effort to take some time consoling their 'keeper. That was decent of him.

Of all the teams Citeh could have met in that semi, only perhaps Spurs, ManUre, Liverpool and Chelsea would've kept the scoreline respectable, in my humble opinion.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 13:08 - Jan 10 with 2504 viewsactonman

If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 11:19 - Jan 10 by TacticalR

@actonman 'However on reflection , had citeh slowed down and kept it to 4 or 5, is that really in keeping with the game as a competition? Remember this is a semi final and not a pre season freindly.'

Hasn't a result like this in a semi-final shown that this isn't any kind of competition?

Yep you are correct , the whole thing including the premier league is all just a nonsense between the big clubs and the clubs who got lucky with rich owners buying them and spending millions to get them where they are.

We all go on about cup runs and maybe winning a league or fa cup but if the big 6 or 7 teams took every cup game as serious as they do the league , lets face it unless by default and getting lucky draws , nobody outside the prem would get a sniff making the whole thing pointless anyway.

Not sure if I have agreed or disagreed with my point there
If only Manchester City took the League cup seriously!!! on 13:31 - Jan 10 with 2454 viewsTGRRRSSS

Fergie's United hammered Ipswich 9-1 in a league game one year, and nobody worried.

City worked hard and applied themselves, and got their rewards, it's not their fault Burton weren't up to it.

Also a 2nd league so technically only half time and therefore every right to get as much gap between them.

What exactly where they supposed to do?

Unfortunate for Burton players etc but really come on.

They took them seriously and they got a hiding, unfortunate.

Seen games when we've got to 5 and people are chanting for 6, etc.

When QPR play I want us to win in the end I don't care if it's 1-0 or 10-0 or whatever but I'll always want the extra goal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024