Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... 11:26 - Jan 19 with 2260 viewsloftboy

Want to play as often as possible or......
Chase the money and move to a club and then not get played ala Freeman, Manning soon to be BOS.
I know in my line of work even an extra £ an hour would make a huge difference but surely when you’re on at least 1/4 million a year the taxman is going to take a huge chunk of any extra you get.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 12:05]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

If you weren’t Pro footballer would you ......... on 11:34 - Jan 19 with 1728 viewscolinallcars

It's a tough one. As my old dad used to say with a sorry shake of the head “that's the way of the world alright”
Somehow I can't imagine Rs players like Tony Ingham or George Petchey buggering about like this.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 11:53]
If you weren’t Pro footballer would you ......... on 11:35 - Jan 19 with 1727 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'd want every quid I could get.

Those jet-setting luxury weekends in Termonfeckin don't pay for themselves, y'know.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

If you weren’t Pro footballer would you ......... on 11:35 - Jan 19 with 1717 viewsTomS

At which point you then employ a clever accountant to help you organise your finances to minimise your tax liability.

Always remember, this is their livelihood. The satisfaction of playing regularly or winning medals is for amateurs. The word amateur comes from the Latin amo, or love. We play a sport for the love of it, professionals play it to earn an income, ideally as large as possible.
If you weren’t Pro footballer would you ......... on 11:52 - Jan 19 with 1678 viewsMrSheen

Depends on the club. There are some I'd be thrilled to be paid a fortune not to play for.
If you weren’t Pro footballer would you ......... on 11:55 - Jan 19 with 1667 viewsMaggsinho

If I was offered a new job at a higher level with more pay and taking it meant I wouldn't work for six months I'm pretty sure I know what I would do.
If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 12:13 - Jan 19 with 1615 viewsRamseyR

If my current employer had enjoyed little success for a number of years with little prospect of that changing in the near future, I'd given them a few years service hoping to contribute to turning it around, and they had shit facilities that I had to use most days, and I earn't significantly less than on the table elsewhere where there were better prospects or better daily facilities,
I'd be fool not to go.
If you weren’t Pro footballer would you ......... on 12:17 - Jan 19 with 1605 viewsAntti_Heinola

If you weren’t Pro footballer would you ......... on 11:34 - Jan 19 by colinallcars

It's a tough one. As my old dad used to say with a sorry shake of the head “that's the way of the world alright”
Somehow I can't imagine Rs players like Tony Ingham or George Petchey buggering about like this.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 11:53]

well they couldn't could they? there was a very, very low salary cap then. So we have no idea how they would've acted if another club had come calling offering tons of extra cash.

In the 70s, clubs in Division Two often tempted good players down from Div 1 with better financial deals - one reason Burridge moved clubs every 5 minutes was to get a better contract. The idea that moving for money is a relatively new phenomenon is a nonsense.

I'm sure if you had asked Wayne Rooney at 15 would he play for Everton all his life for £25k a week he'd have said yes. But things change. None of us really know what we'd do in that situation.

Bare bones.

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 12:23 - Jan 19 with 1590 viewsMyke

Not football, but still kinda relevant in a quirky way. Christy Moore (famous Irish folk singer) was once asked he he was given a million quid to gig every night for a whole year would he do it. He said 'Give me half a mil, so I can fuuk off after six months!' So he couldn't be arsed working that hard, but was still going to honour his contract.
Login to get fewer ads

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 13:53 - Jan 19 with 1515 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie (easier for him to say this having earned a fair wedge) said it was not just about money.

Family becomes a factor as players get older - it was Glenn Murray on that podcast or Curtis Davies, who said even if offered a decent 'final' contract, if it was miles away from the family and meant either a) not seeing them 'full time' or b) uprooting them, they would both probably turn it down.

Charlie said that, in effect, that the money doesn't take away the frustration of 'working' all week but knowing there is no end product at the end of it.

As AH rightly says, offer any decent young footballer a decent contract at a professional club and they are going to bite your hand of - as they get better and move up, a whole host of complications set in.
If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 14:14 - Jan 19 with 1468 viewsNoelmc

Definitely for me I'd want to be happy and playing regularly for a club that valued me and treated me well.

Certainly if I had 10 years in the game and earned say an average of £10k a week (after tax) over that time. Thats approximately £5m and I'd feel set for life (how many range rovers do you need at one time?). After that, it would all be about enjoying my career, wages would be a minor consideration.

At the higher end of the football wage scale the effect is even more extreme. I'd happily play regularly for £125k a week than sit on the sidelines for £250k a week as per Ozil.

I really can't understand players who go to clubs like Chelscum to rot in the reserves or play on loan in the lower leagues, just to earn the big bucks.
If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 14:18 - Jan 19 with 1447 viewsBrianMcCarthy

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 14:14 - Jan 19 by Noelmc

Definitely for me I'd want to be happy and playing regularly for a club that valued me and treated me well.

Certainly if I had 10 years in the game and earned say an average of £10k a week (after tax) over that time. Thats approximately £5m and I'd feel set for life (how many range rovers do you need at one time?). After that, it would all be about enjoying my career, wages would be a minor consideration.

At the higher end of the football wage scale the effect is even more extreme. I'd happily play regularly for £125k a week than sit on the sidelines for £250k a week as per Ozil.

I really can't understand players who go to clubs like Chelscum to rot in the reserves or play on loan in the lower leagues, just to earn the big bucks.

Me neither,

Plus I don't understand how players choose to play for racist clubs like Chelsea, Millwall etc if, IF, there's an alternative.

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 14:26 - Jan 19 with 1428 views2Thomas2Bowles

I did an apprenticeship with a very good company, money was crap but the teaching was excellent by the end I could do everything, not the case at many other companies.

The boss was the best I ever worked for.

BUT, to stay there on the cards, they only paid around half I could earn elsewhere, so I left.

Working elsewhere with other bosses was not as good even if the money was better most of the time, but soon let you go when work dried up.

14 years later I went back to my first company, again the money was not as good but when a recession came, he kept paying us out of his own pocket.

Sadly 5 years later he died and the company was sold so I left again.

So if the money had been better, in an ideal world, I would never have left the first time, in lots of ways I regret it but you have to put food on the table, earn what you can when you are fit and able.

Same with players and most people.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 14:29 - Jan 19 with 1418 viewsTonto

Yup agree with Noel too...

If id made a mint id want to play.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 14:32 - Jan 19 with 1408 viewsTGRRRSSS

It's hard I guess to know exactly how we'd view it because I often think to some degree (and it's not the same for everyone) because most players who make it to any standard (top 7 divisions broadly speaking) they'll probably be playing most weekends and weekdays in some way so probably don't get to follow sides in the same way others do so maybe don't get the same true attachment, this can be for other reasons especially socioeconomic ones nowadays I often wonder if they follow a club in quite the same way, then they get training at a club but move around and to a degree it is a job albeit often an extremely well paid one for a few.

Whatever happens though unless your one of the few who earns big and gets to play regularly and win a lot there's always a conundrum of some sort, even say Harry Kane now has the issue of maybe winning nothing in his career but maybe gets personal accolades and of course lots of goals.

Hopefully that proves wrong but I guess at whatever level there's going to be decisions to make and sacrifices.

NO idea the point I'm making really
If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 14:34 - Jan 19 with 1403 viewsPinnerPaul

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 14:18 - Jan 19 by BrianMcCarthy

Me neither,

Plus I don't understand how players choose to play for racist clubs like Chelsea, Millwall etc if, IF, there's an alternative.

Which is worth a 'shout out' ,as 70s DJs used to say, to Todd Kane, who could have stayed 'at' Chelsea, permanently out on loan, but chose to come here.

I can't imagine we were paying higher, even if he would have been about 12th choice there!
If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 14:51 - Jan 19 with 1381 viewscolinallcars

When the old salary cap of £20 a week was abolished Johnny Haynes famously became the first £100 a week footballer.
The manager called him in and told him he would be on £100 a week in the winter and £75 a week in the summer. Next to be called into the manager's office was Eddie Lowe. The manager said to him “ Eddie, you'll be on £70 a week in the winter and £50 in the summer. “ how come Johnny's on so much more than me ? “ blurted Eddie. The manager told him that obviously Johnny's a far, far better player. “Not in the summer he's not” replied Eddie.
The 'ol ones are the best.
If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 14:53 - Jan 19 with 1376 viewsterryb

I expect that I would consider myself good enough to join a club & become their star player!

I really believe that this is the case with most players when joining a new club apart from those nearing the end of their careers.
If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 15:04 - Jan 19 with 1358 viewsrobith

Not sure I buy the point in the OP about tax taking all of it - if you go from 10k a week to 15k a week you're take home pay goes from £24k to £35k a month. Pretty sure most of us would take a new job for a 45% increase in monthly pay
If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 15:11 - Jan 19 with 1338 viewsloftboy

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 15:04 - Jan 19 by robith

Not sure I buy the point in the OP about tax taking all of it - if you go from 10k a week to 15k a week you're take home pay goes from £24k to £35k a month. Pretty sure most of us would take a new job for a 45% increase in monthly pay

Yeah I know that but on the pay footballers are on most will be paying highest rate so whatever pay rise they get they are only going to see 50% of it.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 15:21 - Jan 19 with 1320 viewsaston_hoop

I´d just be this guy. Forget the money, I want the adventure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutz_Pfannenstiel

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 15:24 - Jan 19 with 1310 viewsrobith

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 15:11 - Jan 19 by loftboy

Yeah I know that but on the pay footballers are on most will be paying highest rate so whatever pay rise they get they are only going to see 50% of it.

50% of a lot is still a lot my man!

To answer your question - I think it would depend on my ability level. If I was really very good I would want to maximise my chances of having trophies to look back on. I'd also like to use that advantage to have a range of experiences, play abroad etc.

If I was pretty middling then tbh I've basically got 10-12 years to make as much as I can to last me the rest of my life
If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 15:28 - Jan 19 with 1296 viewsBrianMcCarthy

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 15:21 - Jan 19 by aston_hoop

I´d just be this guy. Forget the money, I want the adventure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutz_Pfannenstiel

That is brilliant!

"2009—2010 Antarctica XI (manager & goalkeeper coach)" - incredible.

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 16:02 - Jan 19 with 1260 viewsBucksRanger

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 15:28 - Jan 19 by BrianMcCarthy

That is brilliant!

"2009—2010 Antarctica XI (manager & goalkeeper coach)" - incredible.

Brian, I think you might find this interesting.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2013/2/24/global-united-football-in-antarct
If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 16:28 - Jan 19 with 1231 viewsBrianMcCarthy

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 16:02 - Jan 19 by BucksRanger

Brian, I think you might find this interesting.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2013/2/24/global-united-football-in-antarct

Cracking read. The road less travelled.

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 16:39 - Jan 19 with 1211 viewshantssi

If you were a Pro footballer would you ......... on 14:26 - Jan 19 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I did an apprenticeship with a very good company, money was crap but the teaching was excellent by the end I could do everything, not the case at many other companies.

The boss was the best I ever worked for.

BUT, to stay there on the cards, they only paid around half I could earn elsewhere, so I left.

Working elsewhere with other bosses was not as good even if the money was better most of the time, but soon let you go when work dried up.

14 years later I went back to my first company, again the money was not as good but when a recession came, he kept paying us out of his own pocket.

Sadly 5 years later he died and the company was sold so I left again.

So if the money had been better, in an ideal world, I would never have left the first time, in lots of ways I regret it but you have to put food on the table, earn what you can when you are fit and able.

Same with players and most people.

2T2B, been there myself, left for money, unhappy, went back, left again (p**sed off AND money) never really been as happy in work until I started working for myself 15 years ago.
So the moral is, chasing the £££’s isn’t always the best option.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024