Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. 12:05 - Jul 7 with 5682 viewsSnipper

The standard of refereeing in these Euro’s has been of a very high standard.

Top European referees from Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands etc…… seem to be much better than our own Premier League refs.

Do you think it would be beneficial to the Premier League, and other top European leagues, to have European referees officiating in all the top leagues in Europe?

To be honest, I’m sick and tired of refs like Mike Dean thinking the game is about him. I’m not saying let them sod off and ref in Europe, but have a cycle where they do all top leagues.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 23:51 - Jul 8 with 1803 viewsjohncharles

No one has mentioned the 2 balls on the pit and the referee allowing play to continue. Surely anything that happens with 2 balls on the field must be invalid ?

P.S. the referee for the Italy v Spain match was superb.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 23:53]

Strong and stable my arse.

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 01:32 - Jul 9 with 1773 viewsDavieQPR

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 14:57 - Jul 8 by PinnerPaul

Erm, which is what they are supposed to do - that's what the A in VAR stands for after all!

What they do and what they are supposed to do are two different things.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 08:00 - Jul 9 with 1680 viewsNorthernr

Thought the refereeing was fine the other night and don't see the fuss with the penalty - it's a penalty.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 08:06 - Jul 9 with 1648 viewsgazza1

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 08:00 - Jul 9 by Northernr

Thought the refereeing was fine the other night and don't see the fuss with the penalty - it's a penalty.

Albeit a 'soft' one!!!
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 10:19 - Jul 9 with 1626 viewsfrancisbowles

Didn't he just play the 45 in the first half? There had been two goals scored, cue mass on field celebration with in excess of 22 players on the pitch or all 11 of one team off it in the dugout (bench) area!

It wasn't unfair for either team but.....

I thought time wasted like this was supposed to be added on. Is the TV schedule so important now that we ignore this if no one team is adversely affected?
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 14:03 - Jul 9 with 1581 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 22:14 - Jul 8 by LongsufferingR

Agree with all of that. Supporters of one of the teams involved are probably not always the most objective!

Now even I have worked THAT out after nearly 20 years of being a ref!
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 14:06 - Jul 9 with 1575 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 10:19 - Jul 9 by francisbowles

Didn't he just play the 45 in the first half? There had been two goals scored, cue mass on field celebration with in excess of 22 players on the pitch or all 11 of one team off it in the dugout (bench) area!

It wasn't unfair for either team but.....

I thought time wasted like this was supposed to be added on. Is the TV schedule so important now that we ignore this if no one team is adversely affected?

Yep agree. It COULD be TV schedules but I doubt it - they have to compensate for extra time and pens after all.

Added time has been a bit skinny all tournament I thought.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 15:13 - Jul 9 with 1554 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 08:00 - Jul 9 by Northernr

Interesting that on Ref Chat the reaction to the refereeing has been far more negative than on here and in the media generally.

I think its mainly the technical stuff, that bothers us, but the fans don't give a **** about.

Lack of clear signals on free kicks, throw ins, 'incorrect' added time, lack of advantage signals, non yellows for shirt pulls....

Food for thought there for all referees I think.

Universal approval for speed and unobtrusiveness (a word?!) of VAR process though!
Login to get fewer ads

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 15:28 - Jul 9 with 1543 viewsphilc

Can someone explain why Maguire was booked. I assume it was for a reckless challenge, but it looked okay to me.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:47 - Jul 9 with 1509 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 15:28 - Jul 9 by philc

Can someone explain why Maguire was booked. I assume it was for a reckless challenge, but it looked okay to me.

Yes reckless and as I said above, teams were warned that this type of challenge would be regarded as reckless.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 19:59 - Jul 9 with 1462 viewsdenhamhoop2

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 15:28 - Jul 9 by philc

Think Kjaers reaction might have played a part as well personally thought the ref was weak and allowed a lot of the cynical break up play fouls to go unpunished. As for the penalty I have seen them given and not given on the Danish goal Pinner are attacking teams allowed to make another wall alongside the defensive wall.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 15:12 - Jul 10 with 1383 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 19:59 - Jul 9 by denhamhoop2

Think Kjaers reaction might have played a part as well personally thought the ref was weak and allowed a lot of the cynical break up play fouls to go unpunished. As for the penalty I have seen them given and not given on the Danish goal Pinner are attacking teams allowed to make another wall alongside the defensive wall.

Yep as long as they are 1 metre away from the main wall - 'wall' = 3 or more players btw.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:31 - Jul 12 with 1309 viewsBazzeR

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 15:12 - Jul 10 by PinnerPaul

Yep as long as they are 1 metre away from the main wall - 'wall' = 3 or more players btw.

Apart from the tackle by Gorginiho on Grealish which should have been a red card the referee Byron Kuipers was excellent.

It was a delight to see that he ignored Kane’s and other players attempts to win cheap free kicks by simply falling chest down on top of the ball at the slightest contact.

Didn’t mean to quote you Pinnerpaul.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 11:33]
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:35 - Jul 12 with 1293 viewsHantsR

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:31 - Jul 12 by BazzeR

Apart from the tackle by Gorginiho on Grealish which should have been a red card the referee Byron Kuipers was excellent.

It was a delight to see that he ignored Kane’s and other players attempts to win cheap free kicks by simply falling chest down on top of the ball at the slightest contact.

Another potential red card might have been by Giorgio Chiellini throttling Saka - that was attempted murder!
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:37 - Jul 12 with 1282 viewsfrancisbowles

Well last night he booked five Italians and McGuire, apparently. That was good but again too late really and of course the first one carded was the first one replaced. With five subs allowed, I would suggest it is even more important to clamp down sooner.

I believe the Italians should have had two red cards last night. The first for nasty studs up challenge that was both reckless and dangerous to Grealish. The second for Cielini's attempt to strangle Saka with his shirt. A cynical foul, maybe normally a yellow but if Harry Wilson's cynical little trip was a red, then this was done with a good deal more malice and force and was, I believe worthy of a red.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:39 - Jul 12 with 1278 viewsStanFan

Yes, I thought those 2 challenges could have been more than yellow. Would be interested to hear a ref's POV.

Overall thought the ref was v good.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:43 - Jul 12 with 1255 viewsdaveB

personally thought Sterling should have had a penalty, defender caught him with his knee and didn't seem to be reviewed either.

The Jorginhio one was a clear red card, piss poor decision that one
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 12:04 - Jul 12 with 1209 viewsdenhamhoop2

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:43 - Jul 12 by daveB

personally thought Sterling should have had a penalty, defender caught him with his knee and didn't seem to be reviewed either.

The Jorginhio one was a clear red card, piss poor decision that one

Thought it was a red myself but would be what Northern calls an Orange. Chellini's was cynical and professional but under the laws not a red. Thought the ref was a little too keen on keeping the game flowing no matter the situation
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:12 - Jul 12 with 1134 viewsQPR_Jim

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 12:04 - Jul 12 by denhamhoop2

Thought it was a red myself but would be what Northern calls an Orange. Chellini's was cynical and professional but under the laws not a red. Thought the ref was a little too keen on keeping the game flowing no matter the situation

It was a hard one because Saka would have been clean through on goal as he's got pace to burn on the defenders covering in the middle. I guess the referee took the view that a 34 year old Bonucci can match him for pace over a dash to goal from the half way line, so Chiellini gets a yellow.

I think the ref was trying to not make the game about him by sending players off etc, which I can generally get on board with but it made it a farce when he didn't send off Jorginho for that tackle.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:29 - Jul 12 with 1120 viewsRanger_Things

England players do a lot of diving, backing into defenders and collapsing and 'drawing fouls'. I wonder if a couple of decisions went against us because the ref thought we were crying wolf? He waved off quite a few for the Italians. In real time the Grealish foul looked like a yellow to me but he was trying to get the player sent off. He was rolling around like he'd stood on a landmine. On the slow replay it looked a bit worse and some refs may give red but I don't think it was clear cut at all.

Overall I thought the standard of refereeing was excellent. Especially the Argentinean ref Rapallini.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 13:41]
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:33 - Jul 12 with 1109 viewswillis1980

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 12:04 - Jul 12 by denhamhoop2

there was a point in the second half when england wouldve had a free kick on the edge of the box and he chose to play the advantage, by that point the advantage wasnt particularily advantageous and the play was never pulled. I get the fact they want to keep the play flowing but this just seems daft to me, if a foul buys the defending the opportunity to regroup the ref should really pull the play back. then again Im not a ref
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 15:18 - Jul 12 with 1028 viewsdaveB

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:29 - Jul 12 by Ranger_Things

England players do a lot of diving, backing into defenders and collapsing and 'drawing fouls'. I wonder if a couple of decisions went against us because the ref thought we were crying wolf? He waved off quite a few for the Italians. In real time the Grealish foul looked like a yellow to me but he was trying to get the player sent off. He was rolling around like he'd stood on a landmine. On the slow replay it looked a bit worse and some refs may give red but I don't think it was clear cut at all.

Overall I thought the standard of refereeing was excellent. Especially the Argentinean ref Rapallini.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 13:41]

That foul on Grealish was awful, been reds given for far less, tackle was on his knee far too high. He rolled around on the floor to get away with a yellow, even had the cheek to limp off
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 20:10 - Jul 12 with 894 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:31 - Jul 12 by BazzeR

No worries and agree that did look like a red, otherwise, as you say he WAS superb.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 20:11 - Jul 12 with 889 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:35 - Jul 12 by HantsR

Another potential red card might have been by Giorgio Chiellini throttling Saka - that was attempted murder!

Hardly 'endangered his safety' though did it?

That's a yellow.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 20:18 - Jul 12 with 877 viewsdistortR

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 20:11 - Jul 12 by PinnerPaul

Hardly 'endangered his safety' though did it?

That's a yellow.

talking about that, looked awful but probably safer for Saka then a trip or full-blooded late tackle
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024