Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. 12:05 - Jul 7 with 5683 viewsSnipper

The standard of refereeing in these Euro’s has been of a very high standard.

Top European referees from Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands etc…… seem to be much better than our own Premier League refs.

Do you think it would be beneficial to the Premier League, and other top European leagues, to have European referees officiating in all the top leagues in Europe?

To be honest, I’m sick and tired of refs like Mike Dean thinking the game is about him. I’m not saying let them sod off and ref in Europe, but have a cycle where they do all top leagues.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:07 - Jul 13 with 1217 viewsfrancisbowles

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 20:11 - Jul 12 by PinnerPaul

Hardly 'endangered his safety' though did it?

That's a yellow.

Harry Wilson's for Wales. If that's a red then Cielini's was too.

I agree with Antti as well, these challenges deserve to be reds anyway.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:15 - Jul 13 with 1206 viewsTheChef

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:39 - Jul 12 by StanFan

Yes, I thought those 2 challenges could have been more than yellow. Would be interested to hear a ref's POV.

Overall thought the ref was v good.

Yes overall he was good.

One other issue was I think in 1st half ET, where an England player was fouled in a decent position just outside the box which the ref seemed to acknowledge, he played advantage but England didn't gain any but then he didn't blow for the initial foul.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 14:22 - Jul 13 with 1160 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 15:18 - Jul 12 by daveB

That foul on Grealish was awful, been reds given for far less, tackle was on his knee far too high. He rolled around on the floor to get away with a yellow, even had the cheek to limp off

For one of the best ,fairest and least aggressive posters on here daveb you are off the mark on this post IMO
I know he plays for Chelsea and can be hard at times but he clearly stepped on the ball and that directly resulted in the impact on Grealish knee which was very ugly .He did get injured himself but like Jack shook it off but blew his big moment when Pickford saved brilliantly (i was afraid it would hit him and go in after he pushed it onto the post ).
I think GC was very lucky myself to just get a yellow for the pull back on Saka there because the Ref was losing control at that stage of the game and the players knew it
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 15:38 - Jul 13 with 1141 viewsfrancisbowles

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 14:22 - Jul 13 by CLAREMAN1995

For one of the best ,fairest and least aggressive posters on here daveb you are off the mark on this post IMO
I know he plays for Chelsea and can be hard at times but he clearly stepped on the ball and that directly resulted in the impact on Grealish knee which was very ugly .He did get injured himself but like Jack shook it off but blew his big moment when Pickford saved brilliantly (i was afraid it would hit him and go in after he pushed it onto the post ).
I think GC was very lucky myself to just get a yellow for the pull back on Saka there because the Ref was losing control at that stage of the game and the players knew it

But was he in control of his actions?
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 15:44 - Jul 13 with 1130 viewswillis1980

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:15 - Jul 13 by TheChef

Yes overall he was good.

One other issue was I think in 1st half ET, where an England player was fouled in a decent position just outside the box which the ref seemed to acknowledge, he played advantage but England didn't gain any but then he didn't blow for the initial foul.

this was exactly how i saw it aswell, why didnt he pull back play and give the free kick. The free kick wouldve been in a really dangerous position
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:03 - Jul 13 with 1111 viewsHantsR

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 20:11 - Jul 12 by PinnerPaul

Hardly 'endangered his safety' though did it?

That's a yellow.

I'm not a ref and of course, not objective being a fan, but to me it was cynical, dangerous (necks are quite vulnerable places to my mind) and prevented a clear run to a very dangerous area. I guess I'll settle for 'Orange' in LFW parlance.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:03 - Jul 13 with 1110 viewskensalriser

Is it a goal in a penalty shoot out if the ball hits the post the post and rebounds off the keeper into the net? Serious question, I have no idea, but it strikes me that unlike a penalty during a game, the ball isn't back in open play once the keeper has touched it, and the penalty taker isn't permitted to score on the rebound.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:29 - Jul 13 with 1085 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:03 - Jul 13 by kensalriser

Is it a goal in a penalty shoot out if the ball hits the post the post and rebounds off the keeper into the net? Serious question, I have no idea, but it strikes me that unlike a penalty during a game, the ball isn't back in open play once the keeper has touched it, and the penalty taker isn't permitted to score on the rebound.

Great question, kensal!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 17:39 - Jul 13 with 1060 viewsRanger_Things

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:03 - Jul 13 by kensalriser

I'm no expert but fairly certain it would be a goal as the taker only touches the ball once.

This ones a classic:
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 17:46]
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 17:46 - Jul 13 with 1051 viewsnix

'A kick results in a goal scored for the kicking team if, having been touched once by the kicker, the ball crosses the goal line between the goal posts and under the crossbar, without touching any player, official, or outside agent other than the defending goalkeeper. The ball may touch the goalkeeper, goal posts, or crossbar any number of times before going into the goal as long as the referee believes the ball's motion is the result of the initial kick. This was clarified after an incident in the 1986 World Cup shoot-out between Brazil and France. Bruno Bellone's kick rebounded out off the post, hit goalkeeper Carlos's back, and subsequently bounced into the goal. Referee Ioan Igna gave the goal to France, and Brazil captain Edinho was booked for protesting that the kick should have been considered a miss as soon as it rebounded off the post. In 1987, the International Football Association Board clarified Law 14, covering penalty kicks, to support Igna's decision.'

This would appear to say that it is a goal in that situation,
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 18:20 - Jul 13 with 1027 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:07 - Jul 13 by francisbowles

Harry Wilson's for Wales. If that's a red then Cielini's was too.

I agree with Antti as well, these challenges deserve to be reds anyway.

They may 'deserve' to be reds, but referees can't refereee games on what they think players/teams 'deserve', has to be LOTG.

Italy's goal for example - last season that accidental handball is a free kick to England - 21/22 laws it isn't.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 18:22 - Jul 13 with 1020 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 11:15 - Jul 13 by TheChef

Yes overall he was good.

See what you are saying but Sako (I think it was) had the ball in the penalty area - THAT's the advantage.

He didn't do anything with it, but you don't get two goes at it.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 18:23 - Jul 13 with 1016 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 17:46 - Jul 13 by nix

'A kick results in a goal scored for the kicking team if, having been touched once by the kicker, the ball crosses the goal line between the goal posts and under the crossbar, without touching any player, official, or outside agent other than the defending goalkeeper. The ball may touch the goalkeeper, goal posts, or crossbar any number of times before going into the goal as long as the referee believes the ball's motion is the result of the initial kick. This was clarified after an incident in the 1986 World Cup shoot-out between Brazil and France. Bruno Bellone's kick rebounded out off the post, hit goalkeeper Carlos's back, and subsequently bounced into the goal. Referee Ioan Igna gave the goal to France, and Brazil captain Edinho was booked for protesting that the kick should have been considered a miss as soon as it rebounded off the post. In 1987, the International Football Association Board clarified Law 14, covering penalty kicks, to support Igna's decision.'

This would appear to say that it is a goal in that situation,

Excellent research and spot on.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 18:26 - Jul 13 with 1010 viewsPinnerPaul

I'd hardly call applying the LOTG 'losing control'

Another football untruth - if a referee has to start giving free kicks, yellow cards and compounds that with decisions a fan doesn't agree with he is 'losing control'

In total control the whole game - I've already said the foul on Grealish was a red to me, but that doesn't mean he has lost control, just, in my personal view, made a mistake.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 18:53 - Jul 13 with 991 viewsgazza1

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 18:26 - Jul 13 by PinnerPaul

Another football untruth - if a referee has to start giving free kicks, yellow cards and compounds that with decisions a fan doesn't agree with he is 'losing control'

In total control the whole game - I've already said the foul on Grealish was a red to me, but that doesn't mean he has lost control, just, in my personal view, made a mistake.

Never thought it was red, tight but I think the ref got it right.

What I would say that referees can get more officious when games are starting to turn naughty and ugly, not sure that is the right way to do things, it can cause issues with the players and supporters.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 01:09 - Jul 14 with 914 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 17:39 - Jul 13 by Ranger_Things

I'm no expert but fairly certain it would be a goal as the taker only touches the ball once.

This ones a classic:
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 17:46]

OMFG I nearly died laughing I was not expecting that at all its brilliant .
I think most people agree that Pickford made a superb save turning the ball against the post then covering it before there was any chance it would rebound off him and in for a goal .It would have counted and Italy would have won saving Saka the heartbreaking miss or superb save I mean
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 01:19 - Jul 14 with 909 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 18:26 - Jul 13 by PinnerPaul

No issue with any of your post PinnerPaul the ref was excellent but as the pressure mounted the players started going in harder and harder IMO.I understand every tackle can not be a booking but if the players sense an opening they will exploit it .
I stand alone on the Grealish tackle it looks like .If he did not step on the ball it was late and dangerous and a straight red we all agree but by stepping on the ball at that speed what happened after that was unavoidable IMO..
I love jack Grealish even if he did break Irish fans hearts and was happy to see him jump back to his feet and he said he offered to take a penalty so fair play to him.Of course he should have been on at the start or half time at the latest but thats team sports
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 01:23 - Jul 14 with 907 viewsozexile

He wasn't injured, he just made out like he was to make the refs decision more difficult.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 01:48 - Jul 14 with 905 viewsSydneyRs

The call out of the advantage played and then no free kick given is a good one. At that stage, a free kick in that position might have been a match winner for England. That was poor from the ref as it was immediately apparent that there was no advantage. There was also a strong penalty claim on Sterling earlier and I was surprised VAR didn't have a look at it.

I don't think either of the other incidents were reds. Grealish slid in and got hurt, but I don't think it was deliberate from the Italian player. That said I've seen people red carded for far less. The pull back on Saka isn't a red based on the laws, but something that blatantly cynical should get more punishment than a yellow. Maybe there's a place for a sin bin type system as used in rugby league for this sort of offence?

Our problem was that we didn't force these yellows earlier by getting at their defence more. We had the players to do this. Those defenders on a yellow early would have to think hard about their future actions.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 08:33 - Jul 14 with 847 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 18:53 - Jul 13 by gazza1

Never thought it was red, tight but I think the ref got it right.

What I would say that referees can get more officious when games are starting to turn naughty and ugly, not sure that is the right way to do things, it can cause issues with the players and supporters.

Its what we're taught to do.

10 minutes of no advantage, give more fouls, slow the game down - supposed to give a chance for everyone to cool down a notch.

Works sometimes, sometimes not.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 17:03 - Jul 14 with 753 viewsRanger_Things

Raheem Sterling and Jorginho decisions were right, insists Uefa’s referee chief
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/14/raheem-sterling-penalty-jorginh
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 17:25 - Jul 14 with 737 viewsPinnerPaul

Anyone seen the preamble to the petition calling for the final to be replayed

“The match on 11/07/2021 was not fair at all. After Italy only receiving a yellow card for dragging England players like they were slaves. All the pushes, pulls and kicks and Italy was still allowed to win? Definitely biased. Italy should have been given a red card for their gameplay and the rematch should happen with a non-biased referee. This was not fair at all.”

Words fail me!
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 09:47 - Jul 15 with 694 viewswillis1980

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 17:03 - Jul 14 by Ranger_Things

Raheem Sterling and Jorginho decisions were right, insists Uefa’s referee chief
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/14/raheem-sterling-penalty-jorginh

i saw that mourinho argued that sterling penalty harmed england in the final and to a degree I agree with him. I defo had the feeling that there were a number of calls Enghland wouldve got in games prior. Mourinho calls out a penalty decision he feels england wouldve had if it werent for the one in the denmark game, England couldve gone 2 nil up at that stage.

To be honest it all doesnt matter now anyway but is interesting regardless, England were European Champions for just over an hour and thats what we will have to be satisfied until they get another bite at the cherry.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 18:43 - Jul 15 with 642 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 09:47 - Jul 15 by willis1980

i saw that mourinho argued that sterling penalty harmed england in the final and to a degree I agree with him. I defo had the feeling that there were a number of calls Enghland wouldve got in games prior. Mourinho calls out a penalty decision he feels england wouldve had if it werent for the one in the denmark game, England couldve gone 2 nil up at that stage.

To be honest it all doesnt matter now anyway but is interesting regardless, England were European Champions for just over an hour and thats what we will have to be satisfied until they get another bite at the cherry.

Mourinho and his opinion of referees.....yep that's a nice unbiased opinion there alright!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024