Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A role reversal — Report 18:06 - Feb 27 with 3385 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/57166
A role reversal — Report on 19:06 - Feb 27 with 3187 viewsMrSheen

Only now bringing myself to think about the game, not helped by a night out in St. Anne’s with my sister and her Rovers-supporting husband, but…
Moses deserved recognition for another energetic display despite the battering tolerated by another slack ref.
Gray wasn’t much good, but at least created a bit of peril and alarm for the Blackburn defence. That three minute period on the half hour apart, we had minimal possession and pressure in their half up until then. What’s up with Dykes at the moment, he’s perhaps the only man in our squad who would have enjoyed playing yesterday.
My level of football awareness is apparent from the fact that I didn’t know it was Marshall in goal for the second half until my BiL told me later! I missed any substitution ritual and the PA there was even worse than ours.
Special recognition to the Sunderland-supporting father and son on the Euston train on the way to Wigan from Portsmouth. Their 5.30 start allowed them to squeeze in three hours of pre-match drinking after some cans on the way. Also to the Boro fan on the train we boarded at Preston, sneaking off from his friend’s stag weekend in Blackpool to see his boys lose at Barnsley!

PS Dolan was amazing. My BiL says he’s on loan from Bradford. Can that be right?
[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 19:08]
A role reversal — Report on 19:09 - Feb 27 with 3175 viewsNorthernr

A role reversal — Report on 19:06 - Feb 27 by MrSheen

Only now bringing myself to think about the game, not helped by a night out in St. Anne’s with my sister and her Rovers-supporting husband, but…
Moses deserved recognition for another energetic display despite the battering tolerated by another slack ref.
Gray wasn’t much good, but at least created a bit of peril and alarm for the Blackburn defence. That three minute period on the half hour apart, we had minimal possession and pressure in their half up until then. What’s up with Dykes at the moment, he’s perhaps the only man in our squad who would have enjoyed playing yesterday.
My level of football awareness is apparent from the fact that I didn’t know it was Marshall in goal for the second half until my BiL told me later! I missed any substitution ritual and the PA there was even worse than ours.
Special recognition to the Sunderland-supporting father and son on the Euston train on the way to Wigan from Portsmouth. Their 5.30 start allowed them to squeeze in three hours of pre-match drinking after some cans on the way. Also to the Boro fan on the train we boarded at Preston, sneaking off from his friend’s stag weekend in Blackpool to see his boys lose at Barnsley!

PS Dolan was amazing. My BiL says he’s on loan from Bradford. Can that be right?
[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 19:08]

No he’s theirs, picked up out of PNE academy which I’m sure they’re thrilled about
A role reversal — Report on 20:05 - Feb 27 with 3005 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Thanks Clive. I'm about 5 years ahead of you and no you never learn to live with the disappointment.

Other than trying to remove disappointment from other parts of your life.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 20:07]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

A role reversal — Report on 20:16 - Feb 27 with 2967 viewscolinallcars

Fair play to you and the 1000 or so that made it up there at that unconsionable time. Hopefully, next time the team will give you a display worthy of such support.
A role reversal — Report on 21:06 - Feb 27 with 2819 viewsPaddyhoops

Seemed like I set myself for a great weekend in Ireland
after leaving the Blackpool game on a huge high.
Sat down with my 84 year old dad to watch this steaming pile of sh ite. Depressing.
Still, we sat down and watched Kepa blaze over the bar from 12 yards out this evening. Every cloud.....
A role reversal — Report on 22:38 - Feb 27 with 2629 viewsdaveB

I think I'd have been as angry and disappointed as Clive if I'd gone but do think some of the reaction to the performance (more social media than this report) has been a little unfair.

We started poorly but did grow into the game, looked dangerous before half time but never got going in a very stop start second half. I thought they had run out of ideas before the goal and it was heading for a well earned 0-0, one goal was always going to win it so the caution QPR showed was understandable.

There is though a quite clear problem with the team at the moment and has been for a few weeks in that we're just not creating many chances and when the forwards are all out of form the goals have dried up. Still a long way to go, it's going to be very tight and if we are to stand a chance we could do with results in March being a hell of a lot better. Things can change very quickly, it's not that long ago that this board was full of people worrying about the consequences of promotion which feels a long way off now.
A role reversal — Report on 08:11 - Feb 28 with 2251 viewsTheChef

A role reversal — Report on 22:38 - Feb 27 by daveB

I think I'd have been as angry and disappointed as Clive if I'd gone but do think some of the reaction to the performance (more social media than this report) has been a little unfair.

We started poorly but did grow into the game, looked dangerous before half time but never got going in a very stop start second half. I thought they had run out of ideas before the goal and it was heading for a well earned 0-0, one goal was always going to win it so the caution QPR showed was understandable.

There is though a quite clear problem with the team at the moment and has been for a few weeks in that we're just not creating many chances and when the forwards are all out of form the goals have dried up. Still a long way to go, it's going to be very tight and if we are to stand a chance we could do with results in March being a hell of a lot better. Things can change very quickly, it's not that long ago that this board was full of people worrying about the consequences of promotion which feels a long way off now.

Agreed Dave - that purple patch between 30 and 45 minutes showed what was possible with more attacking intent. And of course once they had scored we suddenly showed more urgency and opportunities did appear (SHOOT ANDRE).

As Clive mentioned kudos to Blackburn and Mowbray for how they were set up and especially how they started the game, we just didn't get a sniff for the first half an hour. I think the biggest frustration was how the midfield mostly failed to get on the half-turn; they'd get the ball from the back but rather than look to venture forward they'd just pass the ball back every time.

Squeaky bum time in the top six now but our destiny remains in our hands (that Luton game is looming quite large now).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

A role reversal — Report on 08:50 - Feb 28 with 2190 viewsPinnerPaul

Thanks Clive, don't think you should ever apologise for being passionate though - I can go to umpteen places to read a nice well balanced match report!

2 issues though, won't labour this one, but I got fed up and bored with the fixture congestion talk about, oh maybe September when MW made it THE theme of yet another interview.

We knew it was a 46 match national division in August and could see all the fixtures (sans Sky moves I admit) then, so why we STILL have to hear about it now I really don't know, but maybe that's just me.

A VERY rare 'silly' one form you - "Seny doesn't make that mistake if he's on"

Come on - ALL GKs make mistakes.

To finish on a positive, no need to apologise for the journey/day being a factor in your writing either, ALWAYS more passionate about a game I've seen live than one I haven't.

Thanks again
Login to get fewer ads

A role reversal — Report on 09:00 - Feb 28 with 2161 viewsNorthernr

A role reversal — Report on 08:50 - Feb 28 by PinnerPaul

Thanks Clive, don't think you should ever apologise for being passionate though - I can go to umpteen places to read a nice well balanced match report!

2 issues though, won't labour this one, but I got fed up and bored with the fixture congestion talk about, oh maybe September when MW made it THE theme of yet another interview.

We knew it was a 46 match national division in August and could see all the fixtures (sans Sky moves I admit) then, so why we STILL have to hear about it now I really don't know, but maybe that's just me.

A VERY rare 'silly' one form you - "Seny doesn't make that mistake if he's on"

Come on - ALL GKs make mistakes.

To finish on a positive, no need to apologise for the journey/day being a factor in your writing either, ALWAYS more passionate about a game I've seen live than one I haven't.

Thanks again

My Seny point goes back a couple of weeks when the general consensus was that we keep Marshall in, and leave our 27-year-old first choice who we are hoping to develop to sell out of the team. My opinion is that while Marshall is good in the air, he's suspect in a number of other areas, particularly his kicking and his command of the box which, for me, this goal showed. Seny would have caught that.
A role reversal — Report on 09:07 - Feb 28 with 2138 viewsPinnerPaul

A role reversal — Report on 09:00 - Feb 28 by Northernr

My Seny point goes back a couple of weeks when the general consensus was that we keep Marshall in, and leave our 27-year-old first choice who we are hoping to develop to sell out of the team. My opinion is that while Marshall is good in the air, he's suspect in a number of other areas, particularly his kicking and his command of the box which, for me, this goal showed. Seny would have caught that.

or he might not - bit simplistic for me.

Get your argument on him being ours and the number 1, but we'll have to agree to disagree on their merits, don't think there is much in it myself.
A role reversal — Report on 09:29 - Feb 28 with 2082 viewsTheChef

A role reversal — Report on 09:07 - Feb 28 by PinnerPaul

or he might not - bit simplistic for me.

Get your argument on him being ours and the number 1, but we'll have to agree to disagree on their merits, don't think there is much in it myself.

Marshall made several decent saves before and after the goal, I would hope Dieng saves the goal but then who is to say he also makes all the saves that Marshall does??

Swings and roundabouts innit.

A role reversal — Report on 09:58 - Feb 28 with 2018 viewskernowhoop

Very few goalkeepers would have saved that free kick. It was either brilliant or lucky. Bearing in mind the nervy way in which Khadra had been playing until then, I am inclined to think it was lucky.
A role reversal — Report on 10:00 - Feb 28 with 2008 viewsOldPedro

A role reversal — Report on 09:29 - Feb 28 by TheChef

Marshall made several decent saves before and after the goal, I would hope Dieng saves the goal but then who is to say he also makes all the saves that Marshall does??

Swings and roundabouts innit.

I think Seny controls the penalty area better than Marshall, so some of the situations that result in a smart save by Marshall don't get to that stage with Seny as he has already claimed the ball.

Marshall is still a good keeper and better than Archer.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

A role reversal — Report on 10:02 - Feb 28 with 1995 viewsTheChef

A role reversal — Report on 10:00 - Feb 28 by OldPedro

I think Seny controls the penalty area better than Marshall, so some of the situations that result in a smart save by Marshall don't get to that stage with Seny as he has already claimed the ball.

Marshall is still a good keeper and better than Archer.

Yes on that first point, that occurred to me too.

A role reversal — Report on 10:42 - Feb 28 with 1907 viewsderbyhoop

A role reversal — Report on 09:58 - Feb 28 by kernowhoop

Very few goalkeepers would have saved that free kick. It was either brilliant or lucky. Bearing in mind the nervy way in which Khadra had been playing until then, I am inclined to think it was lucky.

As he lined it up I fully expected Khadra to whip into the danger area at pace. Marshall completely misjudged it.

Saying that, I'm not sure if we would have scored if we were still playing (Monday morning)

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

A role reversal — Report on 12:08 - Feb 28 with 1737 viewsdaveB

It went straight through his hands, he should have saved it
A role reversal — Report on 13:22 - Feb 28 with 1606 viewsTacticalR

@PinnerPaul 'A VERY rare 'silly' one form you - "Seny doesn't make that mistake if he's on"

Come on - ALL GKs make mistakes.'

Obviously you can't be a 100% certain, but my gut feeling was Dieng would have saved that one. He's good on crosses and corners, and is just is a bit more fluid and mobile than a lot of other keepers.

Anyway, Marshall really made a mess of it.

Air hostess clique

A role reversal — Report on 13:24 - Feb 28 with 1596 viewsTheChef

A role reversal — Report on 13:22 - Feb 28 by TacticalR

@PinnerPaul 'A VERY rare 'silly' one form you - "Seny doesn't make that mistake if he's on"

Obviously you can't be a 100% certain, but my gut feeling was Dieng would have saved that one. He's good on crosses and corners, and is just is a bit more fluid and mobile than a lot of other keepers.

Flappy Flappy Dooooooooooooooo!

A role reversal — Report on 13:29 - Feb 28 with 1570 viewsPinnerPaul

A role reversal — Report on 13:22 - Feb 28 by TacticalR

He did indeed, but as you admit we don't have a crystal ball as to whether Seny stops it or not.

What I DO know is that Seny WILL make a goal costing mistake at some stage - they all do.
A role reversal — Report on 13:50 - Feb 28 with 1520 viewsTacticalR

That reminds me...what was Marshall actually trying do? The commentary team suggested that he was trying to palm it over.

Air hostess clique

A role reversal — Report on 17:48 - Feb 28 with 1308 viewsR_from_afar

Spot on. I don't think anyone - outfield player or 'keeper - would've been expecting a shot from there, but as happens every now and then, a slightly awry cross turned into an on target effort.

The problem for us and Marshall was that it was also high and looping, curving goalwards and going like a rocket. Yes, it went through his hands but I doubt anyone was expecting the delivery to be goal bound and sometimes a ball is just hit with too much power for the 'keeper to stop it.

Let's be clear, we didn't lose that game because of one mistake by Marshall. We didn't look like scoring and both our 'keepers made vital saves. With more clinical finishing, Blackburn would've won by three or four.

We are crying out for the return of Dykes.

I would like to see Thomas get more minutes, probably as sub, because I am totally unconvinced by Gray at the moment.

One small positive for me was McCallum looked like he had never been away, he played well.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

A role reversal — Report on 18:27 - Feb 28 with 1240 viewsBazzeR

When a player takes a penalty they often take a couple of deep breathes before striking the ball,which the Blackburn player did.

That was clearly meant to be a strike on goal with the pace it was struck with.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2022 18:28]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024