Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option 19:28 - Feb 15 with 5306 viewsParkRoyalR

Field needs to drop back into a 3 with Dunne in the middle and Dickie on the right,

Martin + Lowe in the 2 supported by a 3 of Chair on the left, Johansen in the middle and (tin-hat on) Tim on the right,

Dickie + Laird have the experience to cover Tim's defensive lapses but other than this cannot see an alternative formation or 11 that will stop the rot.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:02 - Feb 15 with 3955 viewsblavod

AC Milan went to this formation after their awful start to a season. Not trying to be world beaters but shore up the defence and build from there.

If it’s good enough for them, we should give it a go.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:12 - Feb 15 with 3916 viewsstanistheman

Field has twice been used as a cb and both times we lost and he was poor on the position.

A back 3 yes, but with either Kakay or Gubbins.
Field in midfield with Chair and Johansen.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:17 - Feb 15 with 3902 viewsParkRoyalR

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:12 - Feb 15 by stanistheman

Field has twice been used as a cb and both times we lost and he was poor on the position.

A back 3 yes, but with either Kakay or Gubbins.
Field in midfield with Chair and Johansen.

I thought Field played well when used in a 3 before and Dickie cannot play in a 2 for another week if only to protect his mental health as his confidence defending wise is gone and Dunne and Dieng are now likewise getting the jitters.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:18 - Feb 15 with 3897 views1JD

The problem with this is that Dunne cannot play left centre half in a three. He gets extremely exposed in the channel, as shown by a couple of previous stints out there. And even less comfortable on the ball there either from memory. We need JCS back fast for this to work but I’m not holding my breath.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:21 - Feb 15 with 3876 viewsRangersw12

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:17 - Feb 15 by ParkRoyalR

I thought Field played well when used in a 3 before and Dickie cannot play in a 2 for another week if only to protect his mental health as his confidence defending wise is gone and Dunne and Dieng are now likewise getting the jitters.

Can only remember him doing it once we lost 3 - 1 at Forest and he was atrocious

He's our only defensive midfielder and only player who can win a tackle so I would stick with him in Midfield

Play either Kakay or Gubbins as the right sided CB
[Post edited 15 Feb 2023 20:24]
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:23 - Feb 15 with 3871 views1JD

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:18 - Feb 15 by 1JD

The problem with this is that Dunne cannot play left centre half in a three. He gets extremely exposed in the channel, as shown by a couple of previous stints out there. And even less comfortable on the ball there either from memory. We need JCS back fast for this to work but I’m not holding my breath.

And Tim should be nowhere near this side. An absolute liability.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:29 - Feb 15 with 3834 viewsParkRoyalR

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:23 - Feb 15 by 1JD

And Tim should be nowhere near this side. An absolute liability.

Field would obviously play as the left sided CB with Dunne in the middle,

Tim is mobile and can tackle (neither of which you can say of SJ or Dozzell), concentration and ball-watching is obviously a problem but the others have to be on his case and help him out here as he's 19 and needs support.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:31 - Feb 15 with 3825 viewsNorthernr

I'm always a bit nervous to get too deep and meaningful about formations and systems. I'd agree this squad has suited a back three more than a four for years now, but I'm sure Neil Critchley could drink me under the table in coaching experience, training sessions, tactics, analysis etc.

I am, however, reasonably confident that 4-4-2 with Sam Field on the right wing is not going to bring enormous success.
Login to get fewer ads

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:36 - Feb 15 with 3798 viewsParkRoyalR

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:21 - Feb 15 by Rangersw12

Can only remember him doing it once we lost 3 - 1 at Forest and he was atrocious

He's our only defensive midfielder and only player who can win a tackle so I would stick with him in Midfield

Play either Kakay or Gubbins as the right sided CB
[Post edited 15 Feb 2023 20:24]

I've genuinely never seen Field have an atrocious game,

I've seen Dickie makes two fundamental positional mistakes to concede 2 goals in last 2 games and love Ossie but watch him for Sunderland's 3rd, one man in the box and he runs past him towards the goal-line, u9s stuff,

I havnt seen Gubbins play much but seems unfair to throw him into this sh8tshow at the moment, so it's Field by far the best available option for the 3rd CB imo.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:43 - Feb 15 with 3752 viewsParkRoyalR

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:31 - Feb 15 by Northernr

I'm always a bit nervous to get too deep and meaningful about formations and systems. I'd agree this squad has suited a back three more than a four for years now, but I'm sure Neil Critchley could drink me under the table in coaching experience, training sessions, tactics, analysis etc.

I am, however, reasonably confident that 4-4-2 with Sam Field on the right wing is not going to bring enormous success.

Agree, but you don't need a platinum UEFA badge just common sense to know Field is not effective for the team in that position, that Dozzell should not be defending the penalty spot at set pieces

Or that Dunne + Dickie will struggle against two 10's like Roberts and Clarke so keep your Back 4 narrow as they're playing on their wrong side so more than likely will cut inside,

I get we're not Coaches but we need to tighten up at the back and use Laird + Paal's energy to get forward without leaving Dickie + Dunne exposed to pace.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 21:06 - Feb 15 with 3690 views1JD

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:29 - Feb 15 by ParkRoyalR

Field would obviously play as the left sided CB with Dunne in the middle,

Tim is mobile and can tackle (neither of which you can say of SJ or Dozzell), concentration and ball-watching is obviously a problem but the others have to be on his case and help him out here as he's 19 and needs support.

Tim is mobile and can tackle?

I must be watching a different game. He has the ability to be mobile and tackle, yes. But he doesn’t have the appetite. And so he does neither. It’s like playing with 10 men.

No desire, no aggression, no closing down, no tackles, no anything. And he gives the ball away for fun. I don’t want to see this guy anywhere near the team again this season.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 21:09 - Feb 15 with 3676 viewsRangersw12

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:36 - Feb 15 by ParkRoyalR

I've genuinely never seen Field have an atrocious game,

I've seen Dickie makes two fundamental positional mistakes to concede 2 goals in last 2 games and love Ossie but watch him for Sunderland's 3rd, one man in the box and he runs past him towards the goal-line, u9s stuff,

I havnt seen Gubbins play much but seems unfair to throw him into this sh8tshow at the moment, so it's Field by far the best available option for the 3rd CB imo.

This was my team on another thread

I wouldn't have the loan players anywhere near this team especially Tim

Dieng

Kakay
Dickie
Dunne

Adomah or someone from the B/U21?
Paal

Johansen
Field
Chair

Armstrong
Martin
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 21:31 - Feb 15 with 3628 viewsHastings_Hoops

Totally agree with OP, other than Kakay in a 3.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 21:46 - Feb 15 with 3575 viewsmart_Goblin

Totally agree we need to go to a 3-5-2 but because of the mad culling in May and the recruitment of some the weakest lamest injury prone spineless players available, I just don’t think we have the players to do it . Been calling for it since the 1st day of the season….but whoever is chosen now to do it, it will be square pegs in round holes .

On the flip side …it can’t get any worse can it? Middlesbrough away Saturday ….maybe it can
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 22:27 - Feb 15 with 3492 viewsDamo1962

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 21:46 - Feb 15 by mart_Goblin

Totally agree we need to go to a 3-5-2 but because of the mad culling in May and the recruitment of some the weakest lamest injury prone spineless players available, I just don’t think we have the players to do it . Been calling for it since the 1st day of the season….but whoever is chosen now to do it, it will be square pegs in round holes .

On the flip side …it can’t get any worse can it? Middlesbrough away Saturday ….maybe it can

It will...much worse. But Saturday won't define whether we drop or not, so it's one those bonus game thingy's 🙂
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 05:05 - Feb 16 with 3400 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I'd go 5-4-3 and see if we can get away it.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 07:40 - Feb 16 with 3331 viewsQPROslo

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 20:43 - Feb 15 by ParkRoyalR

Agree, but you don't need a platinum UEFA badge just common sense to know Field is not effective for the team in that position, that Dozzell should not be defending the penalty spot at set pieces

Or that Dunne + Dickie will struggle against two 10's like Roberts and Clarke so keep your Back 4 narrow as they're playing on their wrong side so more than likely will cut inside,

I get we're not Coaches but we need to tighten up at the back and use Laird + Paal's energy to get forward without leaving Dickie + Dunne exposed to pace.

Think I posted about going 3 at the back on another thread. Like the idea in principle but unless Gubbins is ready to start I don't think we have the qualified CB's to go 3 now. My memories are of if it not working well when Field was tried there, and Kakay hadn't the positional sense to be reliable there. It could be a good option if/when Balogun is back, or possibly JCS. Worrying when Dickie is making as many errors as Tuesday and basic errors increasingly coming into Dunne's performances too. If we are looking at another month or more for Balogun or JCS to get back perhaps we need to bring in an out of contract qualified CB as we did with Martin, and possibly there are more CB's available than strikers.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 08:30 - Feb 16 with 3279 viewssevenhoop

Have been saying this for ages about the formation , we need to change and it will free up the full backs (if for/bothered) to attack, which would be more to Laird’s strength. Don’t agree re Sam though, he can’t play there
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 08:42 - Feb 16 with 3248 viewshorshamHoop

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 21:09 - Feb 15 by Rangersw12

This was my team on another thread

I wouldn't have the loan players anywhere near this team especially Tim

Dieng

Kakay
Dickie
Dunne

Adomah or someone from the B/U21?
Paal

Johansen
Field
Chair

Armstrong
Martin

Totally agree with this but would add maybe just the "Beale" loan players

Laird was a disgrace on Tuesday and Tim has either lost all confidence or cannot be arsed or both.

I think Armstrong will need support from Jamal in that role - otherwise spot on.

“Sometimes it's about playing a poor hand well.”

― Donna Tartt, The Goldfinch
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 08:56 - Feb 16 with 3222 viewsParkRoyalR

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 07:40 - Feb 16 by QPROslo

Think I posted about going 3 at the back on another thread. Like the idea in principle but unless Gubbins is ready to start I don't think we have the qualified CB's to go 3 now. My memories are of if it not working well when Field was tried there, and Kakay hadn't the positional sense to be reliable there. It could be a good option if/when Balogun is back, or possibly JCS. Worrying when Dickie is making as many errors as Tuesday and basic errors increasingly coming into Dunne's performances too. If we are looking at another month or more for Balogun or JCS to get back perhaps we need to bring in an out of contract qualified CB as we did with Martin, and possibly there are more CB's available than strikers.

Agree on Kakay's poor positional sense but can't recall who played LWB when we played Field as Left Sided CB, it may have been a struggling for fitness Lee Wallace or Nico H,

Field has played in this position before, can carry the ball and more importantly has pace,

We are in a huge trough and first thing to prioritise is tightening up at the back and a 3 would help this and of Field, Kakay or Gubbins, it's Field for me.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 09:09 - Feb 16 with 3208 viewsQPROslo

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 08:56 - Feb 16 by ParkRoyalR

Agree on Kakay's poor positional sense but can't recall who played LWB when we played Field as Left Sided CB, it may have been a struggling for fitness Lee Wallace or Nico H,

Field has played in this position before, can carry the ball and more importantly has pace,

We are in a huge trough and first thing to prioritise is tightening up at the back and a 3 would help this and of Field, Kakay or Gubbins, it's Field for me.

Maybe, but then we'd also miss Field in midfield.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 09:31 - Feb 16 with 3160 viewsjohnhoop

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed that. I spent most of the second half from my seat in R block watching Field coming down towards us on the right-wing and wondering in what Universe this could possibly make sense. If this is Critchley’s idea of how to best utilise our only good defensive midfielder you have to wonder what is going through his head.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 09:43 - Feb 16 with 3126 viewsfrancisbowles

This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 09:31 - Feb 16 by johnhoop

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed that. I spent most of the second half from my seat in R block watching Field coming down towards us on the right-wing and wondering in what Universe this could possibly make sense. If this is Critchley’s idea of how to best utilise our only good defensive midfielder you have to wonder what is going through his head.

Not defending it or saying I agree with it or that it had any success but I think the idea was:

Left footed Sam on right, Right footed Tim on left, both coming inside keeping the middle congested and leaving room for Laird and Pal to attack down the flanks.
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 10:05 - Feb 16 with 3096 viewsdaveB

One of the many reasons for having an academy is that if you have an injury crisis of senior players rather than make short term signings you give a kid a chance. I've no idea if Gubbins, Jude-Boyd or any of these kids are any good but if they can't get in this team now when we literally have no one else I'm struggling to understand when they will get a chance

We should go to a back 3 and give Gubbins a chance, his future at the moment is getting released without playing a game so even if he's crap we've lost nothing by trying him
This 11 in a 3-5-2 is our only Option on 11:11 - Feb 16 with 3040 viewsHunterhoop

Albeit he was still out best player by some way on Tues night IMO. Actually linked up fairly well with Kakay, held it up well, tracked back, played some nice passes.

Sam Field is a consummate professional surrounded by charlatans.

Still, it sounds basic, play your best players in their best positions. Field is out best central midfielder. Play him there.

––––––-Dieng––––––
–--Dickie Dunne Gubbins––
Kakay––––––––––––-Paal
–––––Field Johansen–––-
–––––––Chair–––––––-
–––––Martin Lowe–––––

Only one loanee (Critchley’s). Everyone else on a perm contract with this club, even if short term.

You play to Dunne and Dickie’s strengths in those positions. You play to Paal’s strengths as an attacking wing back. You play to Field’s strengths. You play to Chair’s strengths (although he must play deeper and become a true 3rd CM out of possession). You play to Martin’s strength with a man off him. You play to Lowe’s strength (playing off a big man). You force the oppo’s defence not to sit too high (Lowe), or too deep (Martin).

Do this. If JCS was fit he plays instead of Gubbins but he’s not so next man up. At least he has cover.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2023 13:06]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024