Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The QPR curse 10:48 - Aug 29 with 22999 viewsBluce_Ree

"I'm quite seriously thinking there's a curse on this club." - TheBlob (on the Faurlin thread).

Let's have a look.

We are the only team to get a billionaire investor and still be rubbish.

Whenever we get supposedly good players, they end up being ridiculously average.

Jamie Cureton is my favourite example.

Apps/(Goals)

1996—2000 Bristol Rovers 168 (68)
2000—2003 Reading 108 (50)
2003—2004 Busan I'Park 21 (4)
2004—2005 Queens Park Rangers 43 (6)

When a young player gets poached by a bigger club it rarely ever works out for them. Sterling goes to Liverpool and ends up being the first foetus to play for England in the World Cup and is brilliant. I bet if he played for us still he'd be shit now. We'd find a way.

Faurlin. Genuinely nice guy and the only 'classy' midfielder we've had in a while who actually seems to care and be any good. Three ACLs in three years. F*ck.

Chelsea. Our biggest rivals. They get a billionaire investor. They then win everything including the Champions League. They then go on to have the worst ever go at defending the trophy and end up in the Europa League and still manage to f*cking win that as well. Will probably win the league this year too.

End up with the peoples' choice for England manager and get relegated. Admittedly he's got us back up by the skin of Bobby Zamora's teeth but even so.

End up with a terrible manager (Hughes) who then goes onto Stoke and makes them better.

Shaun Wright-Phillips. He's played for England so many times and is literally unable to play football when you put him in a QPR shirt.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

The QPR curse on 11:08 - Aug 29 with 11183 viewsClive_Anderson

We were in the top half of the top division for years with no problem and then the second we're even slightly near the bottom we go down. Which incidentally was the exact moment football suddenly became absolutely massive.

We were after the land behind the School End for years and when it finally arrives on a plate for practically nothing it happened to coincide with the only moment in our history when we had an owner that didn't think it was a good idea to buy it.

We get a new training academy sorted out, but some half-witted protesters delay any building work to the exact moment that the owners suddenly lose interest in building it.

Chelsea were days from going bust with massive debts and a billionaire who had barely set foot in the country before decides to buy them and sink a few billion quid in.
The QPR curse on 11:16 - Aug 29 with 11163 viewsBluce_Ree

Sell Ferdinand. Get Hateley (terrible), Zelic (knees) and, I think, Simon Osborn who did nowt except cancel out Dichio's wondergoal against Wolves.

Trade in Trevor Sinclair for £2m and West Ham's worst two players.

The QPR curse on 12:22 - Aug 29 with 11107 viewsIngham

Great post, and thread. Yes, I think you're right. I think the curse is that we long ago lost sight of who and what we are. Whether it is because we're quite central in the capital, close to the most expensive borough in the country, we define ourselves, not as the small club we knew ourselves to be - and revelled in - in the sixties until near the end of the Thompson era, but as something someone or something else is.

Some millionaire, or 'business plan', or as a 'brand'.

We always seem to be sick. So we always need a cure. The people responsible for 'curing' us of our disease (which seems to me to be the 'QPR' disease - that we are too 'small'), are the people who make it worse.

We haven't enough money - because we are obviously Manchester United and haven't realised it - so they LOSE even more of the Club's money.

So every new regime (and there is a new regime and a new manager and a new squad and a new 'where shall we move to?' distraction every few minutes) inherits the last regime's losses, mistakes, and confusion, and what do they do?

Stop? Think? Ask themselves what a football club IS? Naturally not. They start making decisions at ONCE.

So not only do we never learn, we never want to. A football club isn't a business (they would all have gone out of business decades if not a century ago if they were), but they imagine it is. Business does not decide only one club can win before the season even starts. It doesn't decide that no matter how impressive you are this week, all you get is 3 points. Or no matter how many strikers you sign, you can only play one or two at the most. Businesess (except criminal ones) don't visit each other's premises ALL THE TIME with a view to preventing their rivals doing what they're supposed to be doing. Businesses have customers. Customers would have left QPR 130 years ago, because they want either the best, the cheapest or the most convenient and we are none of these things.

We're afraid to lose. A manager who loses is out of the job. When did we ever have a manager who DIDN'T lose?

Does it occur to any of them - especially the players who cost every manager his job - that they might come here to LEARN. That, knowing nothing, they might start FROM THE BEGINNING.

QPR is the concert pianist who insists on booking only the biggest and best arenas and charging top dollar, but who has never actually bothered to learn the instrument.

Or, more to the point, to find out how BLOODY DIFFICULT it is to learn the damn thing.

So they come here and they have no idea where they are. We spend big, but we're obviously very small. We have qualities, many of them, but nobody is interested in them.

In the sixties, we signed talent when it could be had cheaply. Because it was wayward (like Marsh or Bowles), or unproven. We never signed established stars, except when they were over the hill (or thought to be).

Sure, we can be bigger than Arsenal. If we are more brilliant than Arsenal. ALL THE TIME. We can fill a 40,000 capacity ground, if we are in the Champions League every season for 10-15 years at least (and if then). If we know how to do that, how to attract world class talent, then let's do it.

If not, then let's be realistic. In the past, managers and Clubs achieved amazing things because they DIDN'T pretend they were something they were not. Liverpool, Ipswich, QPR, Forest, Derby and others all overachieved and did things they never expected, because they started at the bottom, and understood that ALL the others are flawed. They are all losers. So Ramsey and Clough and Shankly and Paisley and Bobby Robson Jim Gregory could see their way to doing extraordinary things, by understanding the reality of the game as it is.

They didn't start with a bigger ground, three times the size of the historic average attendance. They started with basic things. We often beat bigger and more successful clubs, because we did what we were capable of more carefully than they did what they could do.

And because we were honest with ourselves and realized that they would mostly finish above us even when they were underperforming, and even, usually, when we were overperforming. But we kept at it, and so we kept coming back, in those days. To the top flight, to the top five, to Wembley.

Now, we talk as if we take all that for granted. And we remain even smaller than we were then (18,000 capacity, rather than 30,000 plus) in part because, even then, we were dangerously obsessed by the ground.

We can have a big ground. When we're a big club. Not the other way around. And we won't get bigger without understanding how small we are now.

We live in a dream world, which quickly becomes a nightmare. Managers have to patch up a struggling team, but the talk and the spending suggests we are in the Manchester City bracket.

There is nothing wrong with losing. It tells us how far we have to go. It's all very well rich people owning QPR, but there are 19 other Clubs they DON'T control, so what happens in games does not obey their whims like their employees do.

Football is nothing like business. And we are unable to do either, judging by our performances and results on and off the pitch. It is also not predictable. We can buy player after player and other clubs will buy better ones.

We're cursed because we believe in the phoney magic of advertising and PR, hype and projects and image and branding. And not in the kind of magic that QPR once represented. Football magic.

If we don't know how to win, the beginning of wisdom is to know that we don't. We always have the answer ready to every question, but we're asking questions because all the slick answers we get don't WORK.

Great thread.
The QPR curse on 12:35 - Aug 29 with 11074 viewsadhoc_qpr

We haven't had one billionaire investor and got worse - we've now had 3 (Bernie, Laksmi and Tune Group) and the club has never been more of a laughing stock with astronomical debts which no doubts we'll be shafted by in the end.
The QPR curse on 12:37 - Aug 29 with 11064 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"Great post, and thread. Yes, I think you're right. I think the curse is that we long ago lost sight of who and what we are."

Great post, Ingham, but that line nails it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The QPR curse on 12:48 - Aug 29 with 11018 viewsTacticalR

The tao of Ingham.

On the curse thing, isn't it Steve Black's role as shaman to drive out any evil spirits?

Air hostess clique

The QPR curse on 12:58 - Aug 29 with 10975 viewsizlingtonhoop

"We are the only team to get a billionaire investor and still be rubbish."

Wolves did pretty well for years at avoiding success, although Jack is only worth c150 million - this despite the 10s of millions he shovelled into them.

But I agree with the OP, we do have the reverse Midas touch with so many things.
The QPR curse on 13:00 - Aug 29 with 10969 viewsOakR

Pretty sure we played Jamie Cureton out of position out wide, another favourite QPR trick. Bit like playing Ian Evatt as a full back.

Square pegs in round holes, well why not!

Poll: Will we stay up?

Login to get fewer ads

The QPR curse on 13:03 - Aug 29 with 10960 viewsstevec

Didn't Jim Gregory cross some gypsy in a business deal many years back and the bloke said he'd curse the club?
The QPR curse on 13:05 - Aug 29 with 10949 viewsTacticalR

The QPR curse on 13:03 - Aug 29 by stevec

Didn't Jim Gregory cross some gypsy in a business deal many years back and the bloke said he'd curse the club?

Gypsy curses - everything that's wrong with football.

Air hostess clique

The QPR curse on 13:58 - Aug 29 with 10856 viewsTheBlob

I think I heard the same and that the club were going to bring in someone with lucky heather and cartwheel earings to remove the curse?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

The QPR curse on 14:05 - Aug 29 with 10843 viewsessextaxiboy

Isnt this whole thread why we love the club so much ?

Its never ,ever boring .
The QPR curse on 14:06 - Aug 29 with 10833 viewsheadhoops

allegedly so - no doubt cursed his Bluestar Car business forcing it to go bust only to be bought up by Car Giant who are now supposedly blocking our new ground. The omens go on.

Steptoe and Son - rag and bonemen started in 1968 and since then we've won fark all.

rumours have it that when Palladini was meant to be handling the Faurlin transfer he was sidetracked watching Gypsy Lad in the 2.30 at Haydock.

so...think before you tell that lucky heather seller to do one.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

The QPR curse on 14:17 - Aug 29 with 10808 viewsThGrimRanger

we didn't seem cursed when Richard Keogh laid the ball into Bobby's path in May.

...apart from that though, yes we are cursed. I truly believe that even Messi would be average if he played for QPR.

To date only Charlie Austin has avoided the curse whereby a player loses 25% of his ability upon donning the shirt. I think he achieved this by sacrificing a chicken over an altar and then daubing the blood over his feet.

TheGrimRanger

The QPR curse on 14:22 - Aug 29 with 10785 viewsTheBlob

The QPR curse on 14:17 - Aug 29 by ThGrimRanger

we didn't seem cursed when Richard Keogh laid the ball into Bobby's path in May.

...apart from that though, yes we are cursed. I truly believe that even Messi would be average if he played for QPR.

To date only Charlie Austin has avoided the curse whereby a player loses 25% of his ability upon donning the shirt. I think he achieved this by sacrificing a chicken over an altar and then daubing the blood over his feet.

Some might say we were cursed inasmuch as we're going to be playing in an undesired league,and with an undesired manager.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

The QPR curse on 14:35 - Aug 29 with 10753 viewsMonahoop

The QPR curse on 13:05 - Aug 29 by TacticalR

Gypsy curses - everything that's wrong with football.

I believe Birmingham City were 'famously' cursed by gypsies when they built their St Andrews stadium on hallowed gypsy land. Many Brum fans still believe this which is why a club of their size and potential have massively under achieved down the years.
Some of their problems seem to mirror ours or vice versa.

So if QPR are cursed, we are not alone.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

The QPR curse on 14:48 - Aug 29 with 10721 viewspeejaybee

Ingham,I wanted to write that.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

The QPR curse on 14:49 - Aug 29 with 10718 viewsTonto

we do seem to have an ACL curse...

Faurlin x3, Langley, Carlise... all happened at the worst moment.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

The QPR curse on 15:22 - Aug 29 with 10668 viewsBluce_Ree

Also, Chelsea must literally be sucking gypsies clean off based on the f**king annual group stage bye they always get.

F**king joke of a group yet again. C0cksuckers. I hope they die of ultimate ebola of the cock.

The QPR curse on 15:25 - Aug 29 with 10658 viewsClive_Anderson

Ingham has got it spot on again.

I think if the Mittals had taken over we'd have been much better off long term. They had a bit of money but weren't going to go as mad as Uncle Tone. But thanks to the curse the poisoned dwarf and co refused to sell to them.
The QPR curse on 15:52 - Aug 29 with 10629 viewsade_qpr

This club was cursed from the start. Had more grounds than James Bond had Pussy Galore.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

The QPR curse on 15:59 - Aug 29 with 10612 viewsToast_R

Reminds me of this

The QPR curse on 19:53 - Feb 7 with 10323 viewsBluce_Ree

A new one. We are immune to the 'new manager bounce.'

The QPR curse on 20:39 - Feb 7 with 10206 viewsbosh67

Great thread. As per other ones I have to defend SWP. People say he is literally unable to play football when he wears a QPR shirt.

Last year he played in 11 games. This year he hasn't featured at all.

Has he been available for the last 50-60 games? Yes.

Is he really any worse than Phillips or Hoilett?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The QPR curse on 21:01 - Feb 7 with 10127 viewsShotKneesHoop

The QPR curse on 20:39 - Feb 7 by bosh67

Great thread. As per other ones I have to defend SWP. People say he is literally unable to play football when he wears a QPR shirt.

Last year he played in 11 games. This year he hasn't featured at all.

Has he been available for the last 50-60 games? Yes.

Is he really any worse than Phillips or Hoilett?

Brentford are now ....... what we ought to be. A small club in West London, punching above its weight with a tight knit bunch of supporters.

"I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me points. Everybody tells me so"

This is like 1961 in reverse. All my mates at school were Bees supporters, the cream like me went for the underdogs. It was a hoops versus stripes thing.

Still, we'll always have Wembley .

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024