Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The QPR curse 10:48 - Aug 29 with 23269 viewsBluce_Ree

"I'm quite seriously thinking there's a curse on this club." - TheBlob (on the Faurlin thread).

Let's have a look.

We are the only team to get a billionaire investor and still be rubbish.

Whenever we get supposedly good players, they end up being ridiculously average.

Jamie Cureton is my favourite example.

Apps/(Goals)

1996—2000 Bristol Rovers 168 (68)
2000—2003 Reading 108 (50)
2003—2004 Busan I'Park 21 (4)
2004—2005 Queens Park Rangers 43 (6)

When a young player gets poached by a bigger club it rarely ever works out for them. Sterling goes to Liverpool and ends up being the first foetus to play for England in the World Cup and is brilliant. I bet if he played for us still he'd be shit now. We'd find a way.

Faurlin. Genuinely nice guy and the only 'classy' midfielder we've had in a while who actually seems to care and be any good. Three ACLs in three years. F*ck.

Chelsea. Our biggest rivals. They get a billionaire investor. They then win everything including the Champions League. They then go on to have the worst ever go at defending the trophy and end up in the Europa League and still manage to f*cking win that as well. Will probably win the league this year too.

End up with the peoples' choice for England manager and get relegated. Admittedly he's got us back up by the skin of Bobby Zamora's teeth but even so.

End up with a terrible manager (Hughes) who then goes onto Stoke and makes them better.

Shaun Wright-Phillips. He's played for England so many times and is literally unable to play football when you put him in a QPR shirt.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

The QPR curse on 10:58 - Feb 12 with 5583 viewsqprichard

The QPR curse on 13:03 - Aug 29 by stevec

Didn't Jim Gregory cross some gypsy in a business deal many years back and the bloke said he'd curse the club?

These things can be sorted, we could try Barry Fry for a start.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2766901/Leicester-seek-enlight
The QPR curse on 11:09 - Feb 12 with 5563 viewsTheBlob

The QPR curse on 10:58 - Feb 12 by qprichard

These things can be sorted, we could try Barry Fry for a start.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2766901/Leicester-seek-enlight

Maybe a human sacrifice is in order?I hear that nice Scott Jones may be back in the country?

Sorry,I said "human" sacrifice there.....

Poll: So how was the season for you?

The QPR curse on 00:22 - Nov 5 with 5365 viewsBluce_Ree

The curse is in effect, yo!

We're trying it all.

Well-liked ex player (Waddock) - f**k off
Almost England manager (Harry) - f**k off
Proven Premier League manager (Hughes) - f**k off
Cheapo option who knows the youth players (Ramsey) - f**k off

Now we're trying the 'successful previous manager' route. It's a sensible decision on paper in my opinion and I think Tony's right to pick him but to be honest, we'd be better off investing in a F**KING EXORCIST AND A WITCH DOCTOR.

Buckle up, LFW. Next stop: PISS.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CS_n7E8VEAAYe2A?format=pjpg&name=large

The QPR curse on 00:48 - Nov 5 with 5341 viewsCiderwithRsie

This thread should probably be on a stickie.

Ingham's post might almost be the club motto except that "sh*t but local" is more succinct. Maybe it should be just tattooed on the inner eyelids of anyone who buys the club.
The QPR curse on 01:23 - Nov 5 with 5307 viewsbarabajagal

The QPR curse on 12:22 - Aug 29 by Ingham

Great post, and thread. Yes, I think you're right. I think the curse is that we long ago lost sight of who and what we are. Whether it is because we're quite central in the capital, close to the most expensive borough in the country, we define ourselves, not as the small club we knew ourselves to be - and revelled in - in the sixties until near the end of the Thompson era, but as something someone or something else is.

Some millionaire, or 'business plan', or as a 'brand'.

We always seem to be sick. So we always need a cure. The people responsible for 'curing' us of our disease (which seems to me to be the 'QPR' disease - that we are too 'small'), are the people who make it worse.

We haven't enough money - because we are obviously Manchester United and haven't realised it - so they LOSE even more of the Club's money.

So every new regime (and there is a new regime and a new manager and a new squad and a new 'where shall we move to?' distraction every few minutes) inherits the last regime's losses, mistakes, and confusion, and what do they do?

Stop? Think? Ask themselves what a football club IS? Naturally not. They start making decisions at ONCE.

So not only do we never learn, we never want to. A football club isn't a business (they would all have gone out of business decades if not a century ago if they were), but they imagine it is. Business does not decide only one club can win before the season even starts. It doesn't decide that no matter how impressive you are this week, all you get is 3 points. Or no matter how many strikers you sign, you can only play one or two at the most. Businesess (except criminal ones) don't visit each other's premises ALL THE TIME with a view to preventing their rivals doing what they're supposed to be doing. Businesses have customers. Customers would have left QPR 130 years ago, because they want either the best, the cheapest or the most convenient and we are none of these things.

We're afraid to lose. A manager who loses is out of the job. When did we ever have a manager who DIDN'T lose?

Does it occur to any of them - especially the players who cost every manager his job - that they might come here to LEARN. That, knowing nothing, they might start FROM THE BEGINNING.

QPR is the concert pianist who insists on booking only the biggest and best arenas and charging top dollar, but who has never actually bothered to learn the instrument.

Or, more to the point, to find out how BLOODY DIFFICULT it is to learn the damn thing.

So they come here and they have no idea where they are. We spend big, but we're obviously very small. We have qualities, many of them, but nobody is interested in them.

In the sixties, we signed talent when it could be had cheaply. Because it was wayward (like Marsh or Bowles), or unproven. We never signed established stars, except when they were over the hill (or thought to be).

Sure, we can be bigger than Arsenal. If we are more brilliant than Arsenal. ALL THE TIME. We can fill a 40,000 capacity ground, if we are in the Champions League every season for 10-15 years at least (and if then). If we know how to do that, how to attract world class talent, then let's do it.

If not, then let's be realistic. In the past, managers and Clubs achieved amazing things because they DIDN'T pretend they were something they were not. Liverpool, Ipswich, QPR, Forest, Derby and others all overachieved and did things they never expected, because they started at the bottom, and understood that ALL the others are flawed. They are all losers. So Ramsey and Clough and Shankly and Paisley and Bobby Robson Jim Gregory could see their way to doing extraordinary things, by understanding the reality of the game as it is.

They didn't start with a bigger ground, three times the size of the historic average attendance. They started with basic things. We often beat bigger and more successful clubs, because we did what we were capable of more carefully than they did what they could do.

And because we were honest with ourselves and realized that they would mostly finish above us even when they were underperforming, and even, usually, when we were overperforming. But we kept at it, and so we kept coming back, in those days. To the top flight, to the top five, to Wembley.

Now, we talk as if we take all that for granted. And we remain even smaller than we were then (18,000 capacity, rather than 30,000 plus) in part because, even then, we were dangerously obsessed by the ground.

We can have a big ground. When we're a big club. Not the other way around. And we won't get bigger without understanding how small we are now.

We live in a dream world, which quickly becomes a nightmare. Managers have to patch up a struggling team, but the talk and the spending suggests we are in the Manchester City bracket.

There is nothing wrong with losing. It tells us how far we have to go. It's all very well rich people owning QPR, but there are 19 other Clubs they DON'T control, so what happens in games does not obey their whims like their employees do.

Football is nothing like business. And we are unable to do either, judging by our performances and results on and off the pitch. It is also not predictable. We can buy player after player and other clubs will buy better ones.

We're cursed because we believe in the phoney magic of advertising and PR, hype and projects and image and branding. And not in the kind of magic that QPR once represented. Football magic.

If we don't know how to win, the beginning of wisdom is to know that we don't. We always have the answer ready to every question, but we're asking questions because all the slick answers we get don't WORK.

Great thread.

Great response. If Queens Park Rangers were solely a business, we would have merged yonks ago, or gone out of business, or franchised out to Twotshire. But we're not. Not yet
The QPR curse on 23:02 - Dec 28 with 5179 viewsBluce_Ree

The QPR curse on 19:53 - Feb 7 by Bluce_Ree

A new one. We are immune to the 'new manager bounce.'

Called it.

The QPR curse on 03:08 - Dec 29 with 5122 viewsyankeephil

The QPR curse on 14:17 - Aug 29 by ThGrimRanger

we didn't seem cursed when Richard Keogh laid the ball into Bobby's path in May.

...apart from that though, yes we are cursed. I truly believe that even Messi would be average if he played for QPR.

To date only Charlie Austin has avoided the curse whereby a player loses 25% of his ability upon donning the shirt. I think he achieved this by sacrificing a chicken over an altar and then daubing the blood over his feet.

Yes, Charlie performed above expectations, but can't stay healthy.
(No subject) (n/t) on 05:11 - Dec 29 with 5111 viewsisawqpratwcity

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:14 - Feb 7 by SpiritofGregory

Welcome back, SoG. How's the new 'pay-per-appearance' contract going?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

The QPR curse on 14:05 - Sep 29 with 4724 viewsBluce_Ree

Hey Jimmy, welcome to THE CURSE, muthafukka.

The QPR curse on 15:56 - Sep 29 with 4677 viewsStanisgod

The QPR curse on 13:00 - Aug 29 by OakR

Pretty sure we played Jamie Cureton out of position out wide, another favourite QPR trick. Bit like playing Ian Evatt as a full back.

Square pegs in round holes, well why not!

Exactly. Really annoys me when people cite Cureton as a failure. Holloway played him wide for some ridiculous reason most games and when he moved him to the middle one game he gets a hat trick ! Promptly moved him back.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

The QPR curse on 16:50 - Sep 29 with 4630 viewsBluce_Ree

The QPR curse on 15:56 - Sep 29 by Stanisgod

Exactly. Really annoys me when people cite Cureton as a failure. Holloway played him wide for some ridiculous reason most games and when he moved him to the middle one game he gets a hat trick ! Promptly moved him back.

Some reason?

REASON = CURSE.

The QPR curse on 18:43 - Sep 29 with 4578 viewsToast_R

The QPR curse on 16:33 - Nov 26 with 4368 viewsBluce_Ree

There's your bounce, Rs. There's your fking bounce.

#thecurseisreal

The QPR curse on 11:53 - Dec 6 with 4243 viewsBluce_Ree

The curse is IN EFFECT, yo.

Football explodes in Savile-esque noncey sinatra scandal.

OF COURSE we get implicated. Of course. The curse is real. Of course, QPR get their good name sullied. Of f**king course.

Seriously, did we play our first match on a f**king indian burial ground or something?!
[Post edited 6 Dec 2016 11:56]

The QPR curse on 13:01 - Dec 6 with 4175 viewsDorse

The QPR curse on 11:53 - Dec 6 by Bluce_Ree

The curse is IN EFFECT, yo.

Football explodes in Savile-esque noncey sinatra scandal.

OF COURSE we get implicated. Of course. The curse is real. Of course, QPR get their good name sullied. Of f**king course.

Seriously, did we play our first match on a f**king indian burial ground or something?!
[Post edited 6 Dec 2016 11:56]

The universe hates QPR.

The best example of how much can be found in Julio Cesar's record.

5 consecutive Serie A titles between 2006 and 2010
3 Coppa Italia
4 Italian Super Cups
1 Champions League (2010)
FIFA World Club Cup (2010)
Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year 2009 & 2010
UEFA Club Goalkeeper of the Year 2009

2012 - Signs for QPR...

2014 - Signs for Benfica and wins:
2 Primera Liga (2015 & 2016)
Taca de Liga (2015)
Primera Liga Best Goalkeeper 2014-15

Stephane M'Bia anyone?

FFS

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The QPR curse on 17:19 - Dec 10 with 3992 viewsBluce_Ree

F**king getting beaten by LOLtherham. F**k, man. This is bullshit.

The QPR curse on 23:26 - Oct 24 with 3062 viewsBluce_Ree

I thought I had no more f**cks to give but I just found 40 million more. Football is c*nt.

The QPR curse on 23:28 - Oct 24 with 3060 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The QPR curse on 23:26 - Oct 24 by Bluce_Ree

I thought I had no more f**cks to give but I just found 40 million more. Football is c*nt.

I don't think spunking money all over Harry's mates and buying promotion is really a curse, more cheating and irresponsibility.
(No subject) (n/t) on 23:40 - Oct 24 with 3043 views2Thomas2Bowles

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:12 - Feb 7 by SpiritofGregory

STFU YOU MOTHERFECKER

Anyways I agree

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

The QPR curse on 23:52 - Oct 24 with 3028 viewsPunteR

What happened to Ingham?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

The QPR curse on 00:53 - Oct 25 with 2999 viewsBoston

The QPR curse on 23:52 - Oct 24 by PunteR

What happened to Ingham?

Still around.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2017 0:57]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The QPR curse on 02:41 - Oct 25 with 2958 viewsTonyHongKong

Ipswich are rubbish, and they also have a Billionaire owner. They've developed young talent and pushed it through early though and capped the wage bill to one of the lowest in the Championship. Not a model I'd like us to follow (the poundsavers model) but we may be forced to if we don't gain promotion (which looks unlikely).

Poll: In Jan, where do we need to improve most?

The QPR curse on 20:33 - Oct 26 with 2851 viewscarlosthebulb

great thread.

Just to add: We score one of the greatest goals ever seen (Trev overhead kick)and it still doesnt win goal of season. A long-range punt from Beckham duly does...
The QPR curse on 23:01 - Oct 26 with 2747 viewsBluce_Ree

The QPR curse on 20:33 - Oct 26 by carlosthebulb

great thread.

Just to add: We score one of the greatest goals ever seen (Trev overhead kick)and it still doesnt win goal of season. A long-range punt from Beckham duly does...

MotD gave it to Trev if I remember correctly. But we did then swap Trev for Ian Dowie so...

The QPR curse on 23:08 - Oct 26 with 2742 viewsDannyPaddox

Saturday's programme cover. Cursed.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2017 23:28]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024