Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS 17:56 - Dec 20 with 16535 viewsthame_hoops

So what did everyone think?
If you haven't seen it yet don't read this thread...

I really enjoyed it, took me back to being a kid and going to see ep5/6 at the old cinema in marlow.

A few things annoyed me, not seeing Luke with Han, captain phasma was underused, Kylo ren acting like a little spoiled biatch when things didn't go his way and he wasn't very menacing.

It left a few questions needing answering like how did that alien get Luke's light sabre from empire strikes back....and how did rey learn the force so quickly....left me wanting more which I guess was the idea, can't wait for ep8

Discuss
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 10:59 - Dec 24 with 3166 viewsdaveB

I saw it last night and was so impressed.

I agree it took a lot from New Hope but it still felt fresh and think it was important to take the best bits from the best two movies (new hope and Empire) and create something new and I think they nailed it.

the attention to detail was incredible, some of the props and puppets you can see how much love went into making this movie.

the new characters were interesting enough to make me want to see more of them, even the villain was good as he is clearly flawed and I was worried at one point they were going to kill him off.

They left so much open for the next set of films, when it finished I wanted to see more which I'm sure was the idea.

At the end people were hugging and high fiving, the joy and relief that it was good was obvious.

One thing they really nailed was the humour, that's what I loved about the originals and some of the bits between Finn, Chewie and Han were brilliant.

When they announced the new movies I said they had to kill one of the old guard off and they didn't bottle it and drag it out for another film, it was so sad when it happened but was essential for the story and beautifully done. Shades of Empire Strikes back and also Temple of Doom when he walked on that bridge for an old geek like me.

For me all of the movies have flaws, some more than others and this one has some too but it was the best of the 7 so far by a long way imo.
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 11:11 - Dec 24 with 3155 viewsbosh67

Call centre: Yes sir, can I help you?
New Order: Yes, policy number 234566. New order.
Call centre: yes sir. How can I help you?
New Order: We need to put in a claim.
Call centre: And your claim is, sir.
New Order: Our planet destroyer.
Call centre: What is the problem, sir?
New Order: It's been blown up, by the Rebellion.
Call centre: FFS, again?
New Order: To be fair we are the New Order now, not the Imperial Empire. It is a new limited company we are operating under.
Call centre: But all the same. How did it happen this time?
New Order: Oh, you know. Much like the last time. Small group of X Wings blew up the core.
Call centre: But we specifically said cover up the exhaust ports on the policy and only gave you third party, fire and theft.
New centre: Well, we did do most of that and to be honest it did create a huge fireball and it's gone, so we were hoping you would honour the policy?
Call centre: I am not sure the claim will be covered by the policy this time, sir?
New order: ......You will honour the policy and pay out the full amount against the claim.
Call centre: Sir, please don't try that with me.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 19:28 - Dec 24 with 3105 viewsDrewster

Went today with the bin lids.
Thought it was great, a homage and gentle reminder of the New Hope storyline, with some nice nods and sentiment to that film. The humour as mentioned before was spot on.
Loads of loose ends to conveniently tie up over the next 2 films, hopefully they won't over cook it and try and over hype, but hey it is Disney and Hollywood.
Some of the scenery cgi was fabulous, the crashed Star Destroyer in the desert looked great.
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 22:51 - Dec 24 with 3085 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 11:11 - Dec 24 by bosh67

Call centre: Yes sir, can I help you?
New Order: Yes, policy number 234566. New order.
Call centre: yes sir. How can I help you?
New Order: We need to put in a claim.
Call centre: And your claim is, sir.
New Order: Our planet destroyer.
Call centre: What is the problem, sir?
New Order: It's been blown up, by the Rebellion.
Call centre: FFS, again?
New Order: To be fair we are the New Order now, not the Imperial Empire. It is a new limited company we are operating under.
Call centre: But all the same. How did it happen this time?
New Order: Oh, you know. Much like the last time. Small group of X Wings blew up the core.
Call centre: But we specifically said cover up the exhaust ports on the policy and only gave you third party, fire and theft.
New centre: Well, we did do most of that and to be honest it did create a huge fireball and it's gone, so we were hoping you would honour the policy?
Call centre: I am not sure the claim will be covered by the policy this time, sir?
New order: ......You will honour the policy and pay out the full amount against the claim.
Call centre: Sir, please don't try that with me.

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 16:26 - Dec 26 with 2972 viewsGroveR

'I believe when Kylo Ren did his mind thing he opened her to the force and the force just flooded her.'

I've used the force to flood girls before.

Oh dear, that came across a bit rapey...
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 19:59 - Dec 27 with 2924 viewscarlosthebulb

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 22:51 - Dec 24 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Brilliant
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 20:01 - Dec 27 with 2923 viewscarlosthebulb

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 19:59 - Dec 27 by carlosthebulb

Brilliant

Bosh's post that is...
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 21:41 - Dec 27 with 2892 viewsRangersw12

Saw it in 4dx yesterday and yes it was a bit like New Hope but set the story up nicely and certainly the best film since Empire
Login to get fewer ads

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 00:52 - Dec 30 with 2829 viewsozexile

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 21:41 - Dec 27 by Rangersw12

Saw it in 4dx yesterday and yes it was a bit like New Hope but set the story up nicely and certainly the best film since Empire

Thought it was pretty average. Certainly won't be seeing the 15 others that are sure to follow.
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 10:19 - Dec 30 with 2792 viewsvblockranger

Loved the original trilogy when i was a kid (and still do) but as predicted this new one was just over hyped. It's a remade "New Hope" with 2 annoying leads both over acting . The villain was good till the mask come off and the way they bumped Han off was a bit of a let down. Dont get me started on that fking annoying new robot creation.
It is what it is...a Disney remake of New Hope made for same age audiences that lapped up Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean.
Shame as it could have been so much better.
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 11:06 - Dec 30 with 2773 viewsozexile

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 10:19 - Dec 30 by vblockranger

Loved the original trilogy when i was a kid (and still do) but as predicted this new one was just over hyped. It's a remade "New Hope" with 2 annoying leads both over acting . The villain was good till the mask come off and the way they bumped Han off was a bit of a let down. Dont get me started on that fking annoying new robot creation.
It is what it is...a Disney remake of New Hope made for same age audiences that lapped up Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean.
Shame as it could have been so much better.

Spot on mate. I thought her acting was terrible. It was like she was in a pantomime.
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 18:10 - Dec 30 with 2722 viewsA40Bosh

Just back and to be honest, it would have to have been pretty dire to have been a let down because I was absolutely hooked on the first 3 as a 9-12 year old when the originals came out - the next three left me cold.

Me and the Mrs don't get out that much to the cinema and therefore the IMAX 3D "experience" is still pretty new to us - I saw a Harry Potter in 3D with the girls a few years back and to be honest if there was a non 3D IMAX version and not just a 2D screen offering in Uxbridge then I might have foregone the 3D. However, the 3D element was much better than my previous experience, but it is still a distraction at times, but the X-wing fighter and Tie fighter scenes in 3D was breathtaking at times and to me that is all part of the consideration of how good the film is.

Yeah, the plot is crap, a rehash of A New Hope, but if it was not then it would not be Star Wars, because that is what I was thinking during the whole film - it is STILL Stars Wars, which was great. All basic plot, crap puns from Han Solo, unrealistic progression of attacks, but that is what makes it Star Wars and albeit that it was certified 12A, it is a kids film.

Absolutely loved it and may be tempted to see it in IMAX without 3D if I can find it to see if it is as good or actually better.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 19:03 - Dec 30 with 2707 viewsjamois

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 18:10 - Dec 30 by A40Bosh

Just back and to be honest, it would have to have been pretty dire to have been a let down because I was absolutely hooked on the first 3 as a 9-12 year old when the originals came out - the next three left me cold.

Me and the Mrs don't get out that much to the cinema and therefore the IMAX 3D "experience" is still pretty new to us - I saw a Harry Potter in 3D with the girls a few years back and to be honest if there was a non 3D IMAX version and not just a 2D screen offering in Uxbridge then I might have foregone the 3D. However, the 3D element was much better than my previous experience, but it is still a distraction at times, but the X-wing fighter and Tie fighter scenes in 3D was breathtaking at times and to me that is all part of the consideration of how good the film is.

Yeah, the plot is crap, a rehash of A New Hope, but if it was not then it would not be Star Wars, because that is what I was thinking during the whole film - it is STILL Stars Wars, which was great. All basic plot, crap puns from Han Solo, unrealistic progression of attacks, but that is what makes it Star Wars and albeit that it was certified 12A, it is a kids film.

Absolutely loved it and may be tempted to see it in IMAX without 3D if I can find it to see if it is as good or actually better.

I've heard the Science Museum in 2D IMAX is the place mate

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 19:16 - Dec 30 with 2700 viewsthame_hoops

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 19:03 - Dec 30 by jamois

I've heard the Science Museum in 2D IMAX is the place mate

^this.
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 19:52 - Dec 30 with 2684 viewsHollowayRanger

im sure I missed reading something there?
[Post edited 30 Dec 2015 19:53]

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 12:08 - Jan 3 with 2463 viewsJuzzie

Saw it last night an agree with most on here. Clearly A New Hope remake (with snow and forests thrown in just like Hoth and Endor) to phase out old characters to bring in new characters for the next movies. Lots of little references to the original trilogy which was good.
Lucas wanted to kill off Solo in the original trilogy as the character was never meant to be the big success he was, he was just meant to be a supporting character..... and a green alien too!

Star Wars the trilogy & the prequals and now Ep VII onwards we never how he originally intended. All sorts of things happened that meant the film(s) was never quite what he envisaged.

Captain Phasma could have been more menacing and could/should have a longer part to play in the follow ons (unless she survived of course).
I too thought Kylo Ren should have taken off his helmet only when he encountered his dad. Hissy fits that he had earlier where quite funny but i guess eluding to his conflict between bad and good.
Rey i reckon is Lukes daughter.

great special effects, so much better going back to using models rather than full on cgi which makes eveything look so flat.

7.5/10

Edit: oh, and they've really got to make these mega death star/planets a bit more difficult to destroy. Id be having serious talks with the designer and if i was their insurance company, i wouldn't pay out either!

[Post edited 3 Jan 2016 12:29]
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 12:56 - Jan 3 with 2433 viewsdaveB

saw it with my son at the imax yesterday, well worth seeing it at the imax, an incredible experience
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 14:11 - Jan 3 with 2406 viewsTacticalR

Sorry to any Star Wars fans, but I found it desperately dull, incoherent, badly made and on a par with watching QPR at home to Hull. Continuous action served as a substitute for plot, and poor old Harrison Ford just shouldn't be made to run around like this (btw, I thought he was excellent in 'The Age of Adaline' last year). A very tired franchise.

Air hostess clique

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 14:36 - Jan 3 with 2386 viewsBasingstokeR

No way was it as dull as the last couple of QPR games
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 14:39 - Jan 3 with 2381 viewsDorse

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 14:11 - Jan 3 by TacticalR

Sorry to any Star Wars fans, but I found it desperately dull, incoherent, badly made and on a par with watching QPR at home to Hull. Continuous action served as a substitute for plot, and poor old Harrison Ford just shouldn't be made to run around like this (btw, I thought he was excellent in 'The Age of Adaline' last year). A very tired franchise.

Who? QPR?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 14:55 - Jan 3 with 2370 viewsTacticalR

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 14:39 - Jan 3 by Dorse

Who? QPR?

Maybe

Air hostess clique

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 19:17 - Jan 3 with 2312 viewsdaveB

nothing is a dull as QPR at the moment, a 17 hour Miranda special is more appealing
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 20:27 - Jan 3 with 2285 viewsAndyB

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 19:17 - Jan 3 by daveB

nothing is a dull as QPR at the moment, a 17 hour Miranda special is more appealing

Steady on old boy
The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 00:07 - Jan 4 with 2227 viewsPunteR

Your wrong. Watch it again.

Ah well... each to their own.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 00:08 - Jan 4 with 2223 viewsPunteR

The Force Awakens WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS on 12:56 - Jan 3 by daveB

saw it with my son at the imax yesterday, well worth seeing it at the imax, an incredible experience

At the science museum?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024