Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Living costs in London help 09:47 - Dec 21 with 5951 viewsozranger

Folks, I'd like some assistance. My partner looks like being offered a position in London and wants to make sure she is offered enough in the package before accepting. Ignoring the cost for accommodation at the moment, what would be the estimated cost for living p.a. when renting for someone not wanting to spend extravagantly nor miserly. So, utilities generally and food. That would be for one person and then for two, that being if I was to move there as well later in the year. Many thanks to all who reply.
Living costs in London help on 09:49 - Dec 21 with 4899 viewseghamranger

Where abouts?

Assuming west if your a Rs fan
Living costs in London help on 09:54 - Dec 21 with 4879 viewsizlingtonhoop

Another one!
pray that Essex Taxi Boy, Clive Anderson and Holloway Ranger don't find out.
Living costs in London help on 09:57 - Dec 21 with 4874 viewsrobith

Not wanting to be obtuse, but it's kind of how long is a piece of string.

I mean my wife and I live off a £40 morrisons online shop per week, but in order that I can spend loads on getting hammered.

TBH, rent is the killer in London, and is only getting worse. That's your primary concern
Living costs in London help on 10:10 - Dec 21 with 4827 views1MoreBrightonR

Depending on where your partner is living now, this may help https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living
Living costs in London help on 10:51 - Dec 21 with 4741 viewsDiscodroids

rents wise, Parts of east london are still cheaper than the rest of the capital and 25 minutes from the city.

East Ham, Upton Park, Plaistow,Forest Gate , Manor Park, Ilford, Barking, Dagenham( essex really but still close to the city) are worth looking at.

good luck with the move.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2015 10:55]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Living costs in London help on 11:00 - Dec 21 with 4705 viewsToast_R

To be honest with you, Australia isnt that much different these days regarding the general day to day stuff you need to live.

London rent and accomodation costs though are the biggest con on the planet.
Best to locate to the suburbs where you can catch a train in to the city.
Living costs in London help on 11:48 - Dec 21 with 4594 viewsJuzzie

It's not just rent, transportation costs are high too. I know people move to cheaper areas/further out areas but then get hammered on the transportation. Then there's the extra time too it takes to commute.
I wonder if it's better to live a s close as you can and save 2 hours a day?

Inner London: High rent, less transport costs & time
Outer London: Lower rent, more transport costs & time

Is the above model as simple as that???
Living costs in London help on 12:27 - Dec 21 with 4502 viewsnix

Definitely worth researching best value areas to live. For instance near where I live there's St Margaret's, which is a really upmarket yummy mummy place to live and 3 bedroom house for monthly rent at £2,500. A couple of miles away, in a perfectly fine but not so fashionable area of Whitton, a similar property is £1500. This is a pretty expensive area anyway but the same applies throughout London: pockets of really prices housing but more reasonable places very nearby.
Login to get fewer ads

Living costs in London help on 13:16 - Dec 21 with 4412 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

For what its worth, id suggest you get the office address and figure out whats important - being in the city and paying for the perk, or being outside of the city and commuting further for less rent/council tax. Figure out what the intention is living wise and go from there. I would recommend the West of London is better than the East, North or South but again it depends what you want. I want peace and quiet, lots of green space etc so Im in the West. Its a bit more expensive and my commute is around 1hr or bit more each way each day, but then no cars can drive past my house, no planes fly overhead and the nearest loud road with sirens is a good few hundred meters away. Plus the West is full of your type (antipodeans, i mean!).

Ive lived in the South East (Lewisham), West (Ealing, Richmond, Olde Isleworth, Raynes Park) and no comparrison for quality of life, however the people in Lewisham were excellent and never felt in any way unsafe even if my road seemingly was the stabbing hot spot of London for a while!

Very roughly, Id say use the following:

Rent - £600-£700pcm (EDIT - this is a room in a house share or 1 bed flat/studio on the outskirts). For a house expect £2k+.
Food - £150 pcm
Council Tax - £100-£200pcm
Utilities - (Gas/Elec/Water/TV Licence/Broadband/Sky-Cable) £150-£200
Transport - really depends where you are so upper limit of £300 pcm down to maybe £100pcm depending on the routes and zones you need to change at.
Total Approx - £1,300 pcm

Alot of the above you could cut back on as Ive used upper limits and best gueses - shopping at Aldi/Lidl instead of Waitrose for example, not having all the sports/movie channels etc etc.

Good luck and let us know when youre here!
[Post edited 21 Dec 2015 13:32]
Living costs in London help on 13:28 - Dec 21 with 4367 viewsToast_R

Just out of interest, why would you move to London when you live in Australia?
Seriously, what's the attraction apart from QPR obviously.

The weather is 90% awful
Over crowded.
Volatile
Expensive
Traffic
Stupid amount of money for a property you couldnt swing a cat in.

I'm sure there's the old adage of 'you don't know what you've got til it's gone' but London is hard.
Living costs in London help on 13:50 - Dec 21 with 4303 viewsessextaxiboy

Living costs in London help on 09:54 - Dec 21 by izlingtonhoop

Another one!
pray that Essex Taxi Boy, Clive Anderson and Holloway Ranger don't find out.

Speaking for myself I have absolutely no problem with people from commonwealth countries and obviously going to great lengths to be confident of being self supportive ..
Living costs in London help on 13:56 - Dec 21 with 4283 viewsBluce_Ree

I moved up north ten years ago but my mate lives in Sutton. 1.5 hours to get to work every day (Canary Wharf). Just over 1k per month on rent (small two bed house).

Sounds brutal to be fair.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Living costs in London help on 13:59 - Dec 21 with 4280 viewsizlingtonhoop

Living costs in London help on 13:28 - Dec 21 by Toast_R

Just out of interest, why would you move to London when you live in Australia?
Seriously, what's the attraction apart from QPR obviously.

The weather is 90% awful
Over crowded.
Volatile
Expensive
Traffic
Stupid amount of money for a property you couldnt swing a cat in.

I'm sure there's the old adage of 'you don't know what you've got til it's gone' but London is hard.

I love living in London - but I agree with this...
Living costs in London help on 14:12 - Dec 21 with 4252 viewssimmo

Nearly everybody that moves to London that's not from here ends up living in South - it's cheaper and the zones stretch further. Clapham, Balham, Battersea, Wandsworth, etc.

But as above - how long is a piece of string - will you go out to eat a lot? Do you drink all the time? Would you bike places to save money? It's never-ending depending on what you're after but the biggest expenses are always rent and that's cheaper the further out you go

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Living costs in London help on 15:12 - Dec 21 with 4171 viewsPunteR

Living costs in London help on 09:57 - Dec 21 by robith

Not wanting to be obtuse, but it's kind of how long is a piece of string.

I mean my wife and I live off a £40 morrisons online shop per week, but in order that I can spend loads on getting hammered.

TBH, rent is the killer in London, and is only getting worse. That's your primary concern

"I live off a £40 morrisons online shop per week, but in order that I can spend loads on getting hammered. "

Now that's commitment.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Living costs in London help on 16:37 - Dec 21 with 4102 viewsLazyFan

Living costs in London help on 13:56 - Dec 21 by Bluce_Ree

I moved up north ten years ago but my mate lives in Sutton. 1.5 hours to get to work every day (Canary Wharf). Just over 1k per month on rent (small two bed house).

Sounds brutal to be fair.

Hi,
I used to live in Sutton and do that trip. It is Brutal as you waste 3 hours a day and no you cannot do anything in a sardine packed train that you have to change on 3-4 times. And no going early does not help as everyone is still expected to be in the office to 5pm.

By the time you get home, eaten and paid your bills its time to go to sleep. It is no life at all.

zzzzzzzzzz

Living costs in London help on 16:40 - Dec 21 with 4092 viewsToast_R

Living costs in London help on 16:37 - Dec 21 by LazyFan

Hi,
I used to live in Sutton and do that trip. It is Brutal as you waste 3 hours a day and no you cannot do anything in a sardine packed train that you have to change on 3-4 times. And no going early does not help as everyone is still expected to be in the office to 5pm.

By the time you get home, eaten and paid your bills its time to go to sleep. It is no life at all.

Tube to Morden and a 164?
Living costs in London help on 20:09 - Dec 21 with 3951 viewsozranger

Thanks to all who replied, esp. Pablo. For those interested, the offer is coming from a firm based near Canary Wharf. The package needs to be better than what she gets here which is why we want to factor in other costs as well. Here, in Sydney, she rents a two-bedroom apartment for about £1K pcm and is only three stations from the city, four to her office. Oh, and one or two season tickets to QPR and travel to some away games should be included.
Living costs in London help on 21:01 - Dec 21 with 3904 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Living costs in London help on 20:09 - Dec 21 by ozranger

Thanks to all who replied, esp. Pablo. For those interested, the offer is coming from a firm based near Canary Wharf. The package needs to be better than what she gets here which is why we want to factor in other costs as well. Here, in Sydney, she rents a two-bedroom apartment for about £1K pcm and is only three stations from the city, four to her office. Oh, and one or two season tickets to QPR and travel to some away games should be included.

Most welcome, just hope I helped rather than hindered!

For Canary Wharf most people not from London gravitate to Greenwich - nice place, close to CWharf and Central London. Lots of my colleagues do this (I work in Canary Wharf).

Those already in London or familiar with it tend to be further flung - I'm out west and I have a drive to the station (could walk in 15 mins but why when I have free parking?!), overland train to Waterloo and then the Jubilee to Canary Wharf. On a good day it's around 1hr door to door, maybe add 10mins. On a bad day it can take ages - train delays/cancellations....once I caught the train into Waterloo as the announcer said the Jubilee line wasn't running, so get the Waterloo and City line to Bank and the DLR from Bank to CW. However then the Waterloo & City line went down so I caught a ferry from the London Eye and it's starboard engine blew! Ended up getting a taxi from London Bridge...anyway, the point of this little ditty is that the transport is crap wherever you are and even if you only have one stop to go you can be hamstrung by it!

What I reckon you should do is decide:

is it the city or the suburbs you want to live in?
Do you want easy access to all the ships and trappings of London life or are you more interested in space, peace and quiet?
Is the journey time an issue?
Are you eventually looking to buy in London?
Do you know any areas already that you do/don't like?

Once you have answers on the above it'll be easier. Use TFL Journey Planner to check train times and journey lengths etc. And very happy to help if you need more info, feel free to msg here or drop me a PM etc blah blah!
Living costs in London help on 21:52 - Dec 21 with 3870 viewsbacardiinbrissie

Living costs in London help on 20:09 - Dec 21 by ozranger

OZ,
Ive been living in Brissie for the past 6 years and I can safely say that I pay as much as i did at home. I used to be out near Greenford area and my rent was less than i pay now.
utilities are about the same and transport in London will cost you more.
In all seriousness you should aim to get just slightly more than you live on now.
The last place i lived in Eastcote was about 900GPB a month- 6 years ago and i had transport on top.
The links to Canary Wharf are quite good from memory and I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend travelling. I was in Sydney a couple of weeks ago for beers with mates and its no cheaper than london so dont worry to much about the costs.
Theres loads to do, so that will cost you money and the extra cost comes from not having an outdoor life. Where-as we can just stroll to the beach etc, most of the life in UK is based indoors (pubs, restaurants etc). You will spend extra cash just keeping yourself ocupied assuming you dont want to spend all night sitting in doors.
Add to that the heating bills and cost of extra clothes including puffa jackets, long trousers, socks, aaron jumpers, gloves, beanie hats and that will be a bit.!
In seriousness though mate, it really isnt going to cost you much more than living in Sydney does. Just find the right area.
So in short, your moving to a cold damp dark morbid depressing version of Aus.
Good luck with that !

Just a thought but its probably cheaper to get a new bird
Living costs in London help on 22:13 - Dec 21 with 3836 viewsTGRRRSSS

TBH things arent much cheaper even if you go further out, into the home counties these days, and you truly get hammered in terms of transport costs and (biggie here) Car Parking at Train station for commmute into London.
Living in Aus already unless your doing an OE (NZ and Australians call it) I see no reason why you'd relocate to UK.
Living costs in London help on 22:56 - Dec 21 with 3796 viewsShotKneesHoop

Living costs in London help on 11:00 - Dec 21 by Toast_R

To be honest with you, Australia isnt that much different these days regarding the general day to day stuff you need to live.

London rent and accomodation costs though are the biggest con on the planet.
Best to locate to the suburbs where you can catch a train in to the city.

Move 100 miles away from London and it's very different

Good News - Loads of roadkill. Loads of fruit in hedges. Housing cheap, fresh air, food cheap, beer £3 a pint. And not shyte overpriced keg, but real proper beer, such as Afternoon Delight, Little Sharpy, Barn Ale, Worth The Wait, Hopmaster and the rest of the micros output.

Bad News - Public transport and local shops non existent. No work at all - unless you want zero hours employment - or want cash in hand for working on farms from 5 am in the morning or work overnight stocking the various rare supermarket. If you are really lucky, you are either retired or dead.

You can commute and it only takes 1 hour 50 minutes each way on the train, because all the country's investment is going into Crossrail, HS1, airports or rebuilding the House of Bleeding Commons.

The country has gone to the dogs - where's Dave Sutch when you need him?
[Post edited 21 Dec 2015 23:06]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Living costs in London help on 20:07 - Dec 22 with 3610 viewsFFC1

This thread is proof that LFR remains THE BEST London messageboard. I say that as a Fulham fan without any irony/sarcasm. You don't need my views on it, but this has a genuine community compared to the crap that passes for other clubs.
Living costs in London help on 20:08 - Dec 22 with 3608 viewsFFC1

LFW I mean
Living costs in London help on 21:26 - Dec 22 with 3521 viewsBklynRanger

Living costs in London help on 20:07 - Dec 22 by FFC1

This thread is proof that LFR remains THE BEST London messageboard. I say that as a Fulham fan without any irony/sarcasm. You don't need my views on it, but this has a genuine community compared to the crap that passes for other clubs.

Well I think it's very magnanamous and nice of you to say that. Very much in keeping with the Christmas spirit and the glad tidings that the Baby Jesus brings us at this time of year. Well played.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024