Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When will players.... 20:27 - Dec 28 with 8007 viewsconnell10

....be picked on their ability and not their names at rangers??

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

When will players.... on 10:03 - Dec 29 with 1638 viewsBrightonhoop

When will players.... on 09:59 - Dec 29 by SomersetHoops

I think what we may be seeing is a manager's tactic of demonstrating how bad some players are by playing them. When Fernandez rattles off a list of super players he thinks he's got as justification for better results JFH demonstrates how crap they actually are by playing them. It's a tactic used by many managers, but particularly by Redknapp before demanding a big wedge to replace them. This tactic is normally reserved for the time just before the transfer window opens. Interesting to see if it works.

I hope so. I've been trying to avoid the doom and gloom but dropping 5 points out of 6 having led in both games suggests losing Charlie is the least of our worries. ffs.
When will players.... on 10:24 - Dec 29 with 1613 viewsbaz_qpr

I think the premise of the OP deserves to be challenged - Who with greater ability is not being picked? My assessment at the half way stage is the summer was one of the worst transfer windows in recent times up there with Hughes summer of madness. 10m spent and the only success a last minute freebie squad filler who the manager at the time said would only be a backup, whilst we end up playing half the season without a recognised striker The rest:

Luongo - A tidy player without a position, overlooked by caretaker and current manager
Gladwin - Wrong sort, clearly had issues straight back to where he came from and a probably write off
Chery - Has flattered to deceive, small, not had the influence we hoped
JET - Had one good game up front otherwise lazy, overweight and not trusted by the managers
Polter - Bombed out by Ramsey, works hard, awkward, lacks ability though, may work if given time but no world beater
Toszer - Absolutey dire cannot understand how he was part of a winning Watford team, slow, hides, passing poor, defensively poor, off the pace
Angella - When he plays we concede as above cannot understand how he was part of a winning team, crap in the air, slow on the ground
Smithees - Small keeper, looked very nervous on playing, Green is in such fast decline he should be taking this shirt
Konchesky - been ok short term loan though and surely when Yun and Robinson are fit will make way
When will players.... on 10:57 - Dec 29 with 1574 viewsdaveB

This happens every time we get a new manager. Players are picked on reputation as the new manager doesn't know the players yet, he's only had a few weeks so we'll have quite a while of him learning on the job. Usually by the time he figures it out we've run them out the club so we can start again
When will players.... on 11:11 - Dec 29 with 1561 viewsadhoc_qpr

When will players.... on 10:24 - Dec 29 by baz_qpr

I think the premise of the OP deserves to be challenged - Who with greater ability is not being picked? My assessment at the half way stage is the summer was one of the worst transfer windows in recent times up there with Hughes summer of madness. 10m spent and the only success a last minute freebie squad filler who the manager at the time said would only be a backup, whilst we end up playing half the season without a recognised striker The rest:

Luongo - A tidy player without a position, overlooked by caretaker and current manager
Gladwin - Wrong sort, clearly had issues straight back to where he came from and a probably write off
Chery - Has flattered to deceive, small, not had the influence we hoped
JET - Had one good game up front otherwise lazy, overweight and not trusted by the managers
Polter - Bombed out by Ramsey, works hard, awkward, lacks ability though, may work if given time but no world beater
Toszer - Absolutey dire cannot understand how he was part of a winning Watford team, slow, hides, passing poor, defensively poor, off the pace
Angella - When he plays we concede as above cannot understand how he was part of a winning team, crap in the air, slow on the ground
Smithees - Small keeper, looked very nervous on playing, Green is in such fast decline he should be taking this shirt
Konchesky - been ok short term loan though and surely when Yun and Robinson are fit will make way

Regarding Toszer and Angella, I think it's because the other 9 Watford players have such a tremendous work ethic and energy that they are able to play to their strengths more (i.e. Toszer can just sit and pick passes without having to run around much).

Put them into our shambles and all of their weaknesses are badly exposed.
When will players.... on 11:14 - Dec 29 with 1560 viewsNW10Hoop

When will players.... on 10:57 - Dec 29 by daveB

This happens every time we get a new manager. Players are picked on reputation as the new manager doesn't know the players yet, he's only had a few weeks so we'll have quite a while of him learning on the job. Usually by the time he figures it out we've run them out the club so we can start again

Exactly. His line ups are largely the same as Neil Warnock's. I'm sure he'll start to make his own mark in the coming months. I'm still very excited by his appointment.

He's a fella on the way up. His ambitions fall in line with the fans and the board's too (maybe timelines for promotion differ). I don't think we'll get promoted this season, and I don't think that is a reason to blame anyone for anything - we're just not promotion material compared to many others in the league.

The club have got 2 transfer windows to get rid of players who aren't in his plans for next season, and to add players where he thinks is required. As far as I'm concerned - as long as we avoid relegation this season JFH should be able to experiment with the lineups/formations in any way he sees fit..... And then hopefully hit the ground running next season.
When will players.... on 11:19 - Dec 29 with 1543 viewsbob566

This.

We need to give him time. As somebody else said the signings weren't all that. We got overly excited when they just weren't good enough.

I would like to see Yun play. Also if he's decided that his central pairing is hall and hill then he needs to drop chief. Hope he's not playing him at right back to facilitate his captaincy. Hopefully its genuinely down to perchs' injury.
When will players.... on 11:22 - Dec 29 with 1537 viewsjohncharles

So JFH is picking the team. I thought it had been decided that Sir Les was doing that in line with orders from Fernandes.

Strong and stable my arse.

When will players.... on 12:20 - Dec 29 with 1501 viewsdaveB

When will players.... on 11:22 - Dec 29 by johncharles

So JFH is picking the team. I thought it had been decided that Sir Les was doing that in line with orders from Fernandes.

If Fernandes was picking the team we'd be playing with 2 strikers, if it was Les then you'd be seeing most of the players he signed so think it's safe to say it's Jimmy Flloyds team.
Login to get fewer ads

When will players.... on 13:27 - Dec 29 with 1468 viewsderbyhoop

When will players.... on 09:43 - Dec 29 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree it was odd, though a lot of it could be explained by JFH's preference for playing two defensive mids. Questions I heard yesterday ranged from "Why didn't he fuggin' pick Faurlin?" (easy - because he had played two days ago), through "Why Green over Smithies?" (legitimate) to "Why Fer over Cherry and Luongo?" (hard to explain).

Even allowing for the fact that so much goes on behind the scenes in terms of training form, minor injuries and tactical preparation that we can't possibly know as fans I found myself slightly disappointed that certain changes weren't made either for yesterday's game or at half-time. But there's no way in hell I'm signing up for the rage machine that many have strapped themselves into. It's too early yet for JFH to judge the players and for us to judge him.

Agree with most of that.
The idea of Les picking the team seems to have grown in credence on the grounds of saying things often enough, it must be true.

I suspect the selection was based on a) JFH still getting to know the squad; b) 3 games in 7 days; c) putting experienced (i.e. expensive) players in the shop window to get them out in January; d) injuries.

I suspect we'll see a number of departures in January, but probably not as many as the club would like and not the ones the fans would like to see gone. The problems run so deep that JFH will need at least 2 windows to rebalance the squad.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

When will players.... on 13:48 - Dec 29 with 1452 viewsR_from_afar

I honestly think that Fer keeps getting picked because none of our managers can believe that someone who is a Dutch international can be cr@p every single week. Unfortunately, the stats prove them wrong time and time again.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

When will players.... on 14:13 - Dec 29 with 1427 viewsjohncharles

When will players.... on 13:27 - Dec 29 by derbyhoop

Agree with most of that.
The idea of Les picking the team seems to have grown in credence on the grounds of saying things often enough, it must be true.

I suspect the selection was based on a) JFH still getting to know the squad; b) 3 games in 7 days; c) putting experienced (i.e. expensive) players in the shop window to get them out in January; d) injuries.

I suspect we'll see a number of departures in January, but probably not as many as the club would like and not the ones the fans would like to see gone. The problems run so deep that JFH will need at least 2 windows to rebalance the squad.

Whatever the reasoning, and I think your right, it was still a disgraceful team sheet to set before our long suffering supporters. Merry bloody Christmas.

Strong and stable my arse.

When will players.... on 14:14 - Dec 29 with 1431 views1JD

Why does he have to "wait a few weeks"? Football waits for no one.

How about JFH performs some due diligence and watches all our previous games from this season. Let me help you out Jimmy:

Lesson 1) Toszer and Henry cannot play centre mid together. The end.
Lesson 2) Toszer is just awful and should be nowhere near the first team
Lesson 3) Henry is a better right back than anywhere else he is put on the pitch (including the absurd winger position and inexplicable number 10 role)
Lesson 4) Onouha cannot play full back. In fact, he cannot play football, and is a big part of problem - out full backs are dog awful in possession - cannot control it, cannot pass it, cannot retain it. Same as Konchesky on the other side.

Just basics. Absolute basics.
When will players.... on 14:22 - Dec 29 with 1419 viewsdaveB

When will players.... on 14:14 - Dec 29 by 1JD

Why does he have to "wait a few weeks"? Football waits for no one.

How about JFH performs some due diligence and watches all our previous games from this season. Let me help you out Jimmy:

Lesson 1) Toszer and Henry cannot play centre mid together. The end.
Lesson 2) Toszer is just awful and should be nowhere near the first team
Lesson 3) Henry is a better right back than anywhere else he is put on the pitch (including the absurd winger position and inexplicable number 10 role)
Lesson 4) Onouha cannot play full back. In fact, he cannot play football, and is a big part of problem - out full backs are dog awful in possession - cannot control it, cannot pass it, cannot retain it. Same as Konchesky on the other side.

Just basics. Absolute basics.

when he is supposed to watch every previous game, only so many hours in a day. You say these are basics but he has to see it for himself, we've watched them for 2 years now so we know that the problems are, he's had 3 weeks and 3 days in the job and 5 games in that time so hardly any time to make much of a difference. I wouldn't expect him to have much of an impact on how we play until next season

Henry has played right back once in the last 5 years so can see why JFH is going with someone who has played in that position well over 100 times in his career including most of last season as a short term fill in whilst perch is injured.

Toszer came in to give Faurlin a rest, it didn't work but was a sensible switch on paper
When will players.... on 14:27 - Dec 29 with 1418 views1JD

When will players.... on 13:27 - Dec 29 by derbyhoop

Agree with most of that.

Toszer- a player Ferdinand absolutely loves (watch Access all Rrss- enough evidence offered on this alone) gets yet another chance at the expense of doughty, loungo
Henry - a mainstay under Ramsey (Ferdinand?), keeps his place at all costs in midfield, even being played number 10, or winger, the same places he played on occasion under Ramsey (Ferdinand?)

Both these players should be nowhere near our first team centre mid, let alone finishing at game in partnership, if JFH had seen any of our previous games this season under Ramsey (Ferdinand?)...

Either JFH hasnt watched our games, or he is yet another puppet. Either way, it doesn't bode well at this stage
When will players.... on 14:34 - Dec 29 with 1412 views1JD

When will players.... on 14:22 - Dec 29 by daveB

when he is supposed to watch every previous game, only so many hours in a day. You say these are basics but he has to see it for himself, we've watched them for 2 years now so we know that the problems are, he's had 3 weeks and 3 days in the job and 5 games in that time so hardly any time to make much of a difference. I wouldn't expect him to have much of an impact on how we play until next season

Henry has played right back once in the last 5 years so can see why JFH is going with someone who has played in that position well over 100 times in his career including most of last season as a short term fill in whilst perch is injured.

Toszer came in to give Faurlin a rest, it didn't work but was a sensible switch on paper

Ok so he mighht not have had the time,point taken. But in all honesty he doesn't need to watch all 15+ under Ramsey, 3/4 would do, and I hope he has at least watched a sample. He should not be making the same mistakes as Ramsey.

On the subject of Toszer- Ferdinand would have no doubt championed his inclusion yesterday, in place of the rested Faurlin. On many occasion he has mentioned they are similar players. Toszer is not fit to lace Faurlins boots. Something the stubborn Ferdinand has not yet accepted... Because he signed him. Loungo should have played alongside Sandro yesterday, that was the change the made sense, but clearly didn't happen.
When will players.... on 19:34 - Dec 29 with 1079 viewsfrancisbowles

When will players.... on 14:34 - Dec 29 by 1JD

Ok so he mighht not have had the time,point taken. But in all honesty he doesn't need to watch all 15+ under Ramsey, 3/4 would do, and I hope he has at least watched a sample. He should not be making the same mistakes as Ramsey.

On the subject of Toszer- Ferdinand would have no doubt championed his inclusion yesterday, in place of the rested Faurlin. On many occasion he has mentioned they are similar players. Toszer is not fit to lace Faurlins boots. Something the stubborn Ferdinand has not yet accepted... Because he signed him. Loungo should have played alongside Sandro yesterday, that was the change the made sense, but clearly didn't happen.

I would agree that Tozser has been poor almost every game and would prefer to see Luongo or even Doughty. However, Henry is much improved from his early season form in whichever position he has played and always has a very good work rate.

Onuoha is a fine cb and Konchesky although he makes some mistakes has been pretty good on most occasions and is another with a good energy level. Apart from not really having a fit left back his work rate and experience are the qualities that are getting him selected .
When will players.... on 16:49 - Dec 30 with 1021 viewsPinnerPaul

When will players.... on 23:05 - Dec 28 by 1MoreBrightonR

Can anyone who thinks JFH doesnt pick the team explain why on earth he'd join us if thats the case? It wouldnt make any sense

and also so Les/Ramsey buy all these players and then Les insists manager does NOT play them?

Makes no sense.

Les is just the latest in the firing line, players not good enough is the bottom line.

Posted that in the Ramsey "era" and was told it was his job the make them better.

Now its Les' fault, in a months time it will be JFH's fault and the whole thing will start over
When will players.... on 17:20 - Dec 30 with 1004 views1JD

When will players.... on 16:49 - Dec 30 by PinnerPaul

and also so Les/Ramsey buy all these players and then Les insists manager does NOT play them?

Makes no sense.

Les is just the latest in the firing line, players not good enough is the bottom line.

Posted that in the Ramsey "era" and was told it was his job the make them better.

Now its Les' fault, in a months time it will be JFH's fault and the whole thing will start over

It's not as simple as that. Half of Ferdinands recruits have been classified under the "bought for the future" mantra...ie. Next season they will come good. This is from the man himself.

What of the rest? There is no such excuse available for Toszer, Angella, Perch and Konchesky - all 30ish+. Toszer and Perch have played at all costs, despite some woeful performances. Angella has been largely injured but poor whenever he has played. Only Halls surprising (club had him down as back up) form has kept Angella out. And as for Paul "hit and hope" Konchesky- the best of a bad bunch of signings, is this all we can hope for? Solid in defence, poor in possssion.

The facts are Ferdinand has a vested interested in playing his signings- one of the key performance metrics of his role. The facts are the signings have been largely poor. Naturally, in an effort to save face, Ferdinand has a vested interest in continuing to play/champion player inclusions, an
influence he exerts over the coach/manager, despite the evidence on show in matches. The extent of this influence is of course unknown, and up for debate, however, there are some clues if you look closely.

Look no further than Ferdinands "Access all Rrss" interview after about 10 games, specifically relating to questions about Toszer. He vehemently denied Toszer has been playing poorly (thats kind to say the least) and instead went to town and said he is a quality signing who he would have loved to play with in his day. Wow. Just wow. Anyway little wonder why Toszer played at all costs under Ramsey and again why he got a chance because Faurlin was being tested. Ferdinand no doubt in Jimmys ear. Something Warnock would never have in a million years, and it showed in his team selections. Warnock wouldn't stand for that and picked who he wanted to pick, no biased selections.
When will players.... on 18:51 - Dec 30 with 972 viewsderbyhoop

When will players.... on 17:20 - Dec 30 by 1JD

It's not as simple as that. Half of Ferdinands recruits have been classified under the "bought for the future" mantra...ie. Next season they will come good. This is from the man himself.

What of the rest? There is no such excuse available for Toszer, Angella, Perch and Konchesky - all 30ish+. Toszer and Perch have played at all costs, despite some woeful performances. Angella has been largely injured but poor whenever he has played. Only Halls surprising (club had him down as back up) form has kept Angella out. And as for Paul "hit and hope" Konchesky- the best of a bad bunch of signings, is this all we can hope for? Solid in defence, poor in possssion.

The facts are Ferdinand has a vested interested in playing his signings- one of the key performance metrics of his role. The facts are the signings have been largely poor. Naturally, in an effort to save face, Ferdinand has a vested interest in continuing to play/champion player inclusions, an
influence he exerts over the coach/manager, despite the evidence on show in matches. The extent of this influence is of course unknown, and up for debate, however, there are some clues if you look closely.

Look no further than Ferdinands "Access all Rrss" interview after about 10 games, specifically relating to questions about Toszer. He vehemently denied Toszer has been playing poorly (thats kind to say the least) and instead went to town and said he is a quality signing who he would have loved to play with in his day. Wow. Just wow. Anyway little wonder why Toszer played at all costs under Ramsey and again why he got a chance because Faurlin was being tested. Ferdinand no doubt in Jimmys ear. Something Warnock would never have in a million years, and it showed in his team selections. Warnock wouldn't stand for that and picked who he wanted to pick, no biased selections.

It is as simple as that.

Luongo, Gladwin, Smithies and Hall were all bought as players for the future.
Chery had done well in Holland and has improved year on year.
JET and Polter were replacements for Zamora. I doubt if the wages of the 2 match what BZ was getting.
Perch was Wigan's player of the year for the last 2 years and had always played well against us.
Konchesky has given us exactly what he was bought for. A solid pro who looks after himself. Not great but more than adequate for the Championship.
Smithies is a youngish Championship keeper with plenty of experience. He needed a challenge and we needed a replacement for the keeper we intended selling. We couldn't afford both. Couldn't shift Green , so we sold McCarthy.
Angella is OK as one of our CBs. Remember we lost Dunne, Ferdinand, Caulker, Ehmer and Donaldson.
Tozser can pick a pass and deliver a set piece but lacks the workrate and pace to be more than a peripheral figure. How many thought Faurlin would play 75% of the games?

Not all of them have worked. But find me a club where every signing does.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

When will players.... on 23:59 - Dec 30 with 935 views1JD

When will players.... on 18:51 - Dec 30 by derbyhoop

It is as simple as that.

JET and Polter were replacements for Zamora. I doubt if the wages of the 2 match what BZ was getting.
Perch was Wigan's player of the year for the last 2 years and had always played well against us.
Konchesky has given us exactly what he was bought for. A solid pro who looks after himself. Not great but more than adequate for the Championship.
Smithies is a youngish Championship keeper with plenty of experience. He needed a challenge and we needed a replacement for the keeper we intended selling. We couldn't afford both. Couldn't shift Green , so we sold McCarthy.
Angella is OK as one of our CBs. Remember we lost Dunne, Ferdinand, Caulker, Ehmer and Donaldson.
Tozser can pick a pass and deliver a set piece but lacks the workrate and pace to be more than a peripheral figure. How many thought Faurlin would play 75% of the games?

Blimey, how inspiring. You're easily pleased. Don't tell me- happy with mid-table mediocrity, right?

None of the signings have worked apart from Hall - a man the club labelled as back-up, which kind of says it all. I make that 1 out of 11. A poor, poor return, whatever way you try and spin it.
When will players.... on 00:06 - Dec 31 with 930 viewsWatford_Ranger

When will players.... on 23:59 - Dec 30 by 1JD

Blimey, how inspiring. You're easily pleased. Don't tell me- happy with mid-table mediocrity, right?

None of the signings have worked apart from Hall - a man the club labelled as back-up, which kind of says it all. I make that 1 out of 11. A poor, poor return, whatever way you try and spin it.

I'd be happy with mid-table mediocrity if it was done while getting these guys experience. Mid-table mediocrity (or worse) watching Fer, Toszer, Henry, Konchesky is the worst of both worlds.

If I was Luongo, Chery, Gladwin, Harriman, Smithies or Doughty I'd be keen to get out of this asylum. All of them will go on to have good careers and are good enough to be contributing ahead of those above and others right now, let alone in the future.
When will players.... on 00:14 - Dec 31 with 917 viewsLblock

When will players.... on 18:51 - Dec 30 by derbyhoop

It is as simple as that.

Okay - I'm greedy and impatient (spoilt Johnny Comelately fan etc, etc) but pray tell... when does this "future" begin???

Youth teamers 16 and under are surely "ones for the future"
Players who have "done well in Holland" or won accolades such as the player of the Asian Cup tournament or whatever it's called playing for their country dont really strike me as "ones for the future"

I just dont understand hw a club of our size and in the crap we are in can justif paying collar for players and then not giving them a shout. If I was Luongo or Chery I'd be slapping in written requests purely for having to watch a LOAN layer from Watford and a pony player in Henry be picked ahead of me or having to get splinters in my cheeks until someone decides Leroy "the Dutch International" Fer has looked disinterested enough for long enough

I'm not in the Sir Les Witch Hunt Army -- the fact is he is a novice, that is YET ANOTHER bizarre move by Bungle and the boys.However he needs to learn his role and work WITH a Manager, not be dictating or influencing.
The compare and contrast noted in Clive's recent article on how Kenny Jackett approached the festering turd at Wolves shouted common sense and echoes my thoughts exactly. Player power is a bitch, but you put £50k a week footballers in with kids, make them work as usual every day, squeeze them and eventually they will be in their scummy agents ears bleating for a move to somewhere else where they can have a parking space for the Bentley and can focus on getting a rubdown everyday rather than kicked up in the air by a 17 year old first year pro.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

When will players.... on 01:47 - Dec 31 with 894 viewsKaos_Agent

Is there a possibility that one or more players might be selected with the view that if they acquit themselves well, we might be able to shift them in the next transfer window? Or if not primarily for that reason, perhaps secondarily?

"Then it has all been in vain. The fellowship has failed." "Not if we hold true to each other."

When will players.... on 10:42 - Dec 31 with 844 viewsDejR_vu

A new manager is hardly going to come in to a new club and drop a load of players straight away. That shouts that he doesn't rate them. So unless he is absolutely convinced the players not playing are better than those that have been he's going to maintain the status quo until he's had a chance to make his mind up for sure. Otherwise, how is he going to re-instate the ones he's dropped if he needs to when he's very publicly written them off by dropping them straight away?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

When will players.... on 10:49 - Dec 31 with 841 viewsadhoc_qpr

I hate to see players playing out of position instead of youngsters - we should have played Furlong instead of Onouha at right back and Petrasso instead of Karl Henry on the right wing at least!

I'm genuinely puzzled by the fact whenever i see our younger players play in the first team, they look to be decent enough options (not world beaters but not out of their depth either) - but when manager after manager refuses to pick them you have to wonder...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024