Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is 'success' for QPR? 12:18 - Mar 24 with 14785 viewsFrankieFiveAngels

This is my first post on LFW. Have to say there's a bit of trepidation as I've read and enjoyed the wit and wisdom on the forum for a long, long time, so thank you for the entertainment and please be gentle!

I'm a ST holder in Ellerslie Road and have followed Rangers since Sept 1972 when we beat Cardiff 3-0 at LR. I was 6 years old and that was that. We've all been through the ups and downs of following Rangers but despite the 2 recent promotions, I found the Briatore and Fernandes regimes hard to square with my idea of what QPR are about. Even so, I am more optimistic than I have been for some time with JFH at the helm so my glass is half full. Over the last couple of games, it seems that for the first time this season most fans expectations are realistic. that we need to build rather than go up this season. It did get me thinking though, about how the club or us as fans, would define what 'success' for QPR actually means. For me, in the short term, it's for us to be in a position where every season isn't a case of "shit or bust", which seems to have been the case every season since TF took over. In the medium term it would be having a team to be proud of, which includes players coming through the ranks. Long term, it would be promotion - don't get me wrong, I want us to be the best we can be, but I think in recent years, we have paid to high a price to get there..
What is 'success' for QPR? on 12:31 - Mar 24 with 10737 viewsisawqpratwcity

Welcome aboard.

I don't think there'll be much argument over the high price we've paid to get where we are.

The two relevant questions are:

Favourite cheese?
And, do you think Holloway is still a virgin? (If you want to bet I'm offering evens...)

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

What is 'success' for QPR? on 12:33 - Mar 24 with 10731 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cheese?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What is 'success' for QPR? on 12:35 - Mar 24 with 10726 views18StoneOfHoop

That seems plausible fair enough decent R's testimony,Frankie 5 A's

but are you willing to say the exact same thing

if you're long lost super hard elder

brother was sat behind you?

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

What is 'success' for QPR? on 13:11 - Mar 24 with 10667 viewsFrankieFiveAngels

What is 'success' for QPR? on 12:35 - Mar 24 by 18StoneOfHoop

That seems plausible fair enough decent R's testimony,Frankie 5 A's

but are you willing to say the exact same thing

if you're long lost super hard elder

brother was sat behind you?

I'd take the Fifth in front of Vincenzo and simply say, "I never knew no QPR. I got my own family, senator".

Favourite cheese is Mozzarella and Ian Holloway is absolutely a virgin
What is 'success' for QPR? on 13:14 - Mar 24 with 10651 viewsisawqpratwcity

What is 'success' for QPR? on 13:11 - Mar 24 by FrankieFiveAngels

I'd take the Fifth in front of Vincenzo and simply say, "I never knew no QPR. I got my own family, senator".

Favourite cheese is Mozzarella and Ian Holloway is absolutely a virgin

Ah, if you don't know the Holloway I'm referring to then I won't spoil the surprise.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

What is 'success' for QPR? on 13:40 - Mar 24 with 10600 viewsNorthernr

Welcome, nice first post.

For me it's similar. I want us to be in the Premier League all the time, but not at all costs, not just so we can try and cobble together 11 wins and 6 draws every season, and not to the point of bankrupting ourselves to do it. Given our resources and what we're ever likely to achieve, I think it's criminal we don't have more of a go at the cups. Smaller clubs with worse teams than ourselves have gone very long distances in both cups in recent years and we can barely win a single tie.

Two or three years in the Prem every now and again, a good cup run every few years, developing our own players and being proud of the team is about the height of my aspirations. We've spent a quarter of a billion quid in five years and achieved almost none of even that.
What is 'success' for QPR? on 14:05 - Mar 24 with 10545 viewsQPRDave

Success?....well for some on here it's managing to get 11 men on a saturday........what more do you expect, we're only QPR ffs!!
What is 'success' for QPR? on 14:28 - Mar 24 with 10521 viewslondonscottish

Your post makes sense to me, FrankieFive.

I'd like to see some stability at the club.

Ulitmately settling into the prem for a while. Maybe the odd yoyo on the way like the Baggies or Burnley.

Even better to do it like Swansea or Southampton.

For now I'm enjoying the Championship though.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

What is 'success' for QPR? on 14:36 - Mar 24 with 10497 viewsTheBlob

Welcome aboard Frankie.
Be an angel and lend us a tenner.
That's only two quid an angel.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

What is 'success' for QPR? on 14:42 - Mar 24 with 10497 viewsbosh67

Classy post Frankie. Agree with pretty much all of that. For me QPR has always been about a team that is made up of honest, hungry professionals, playing entertaining attacking football; usually with one or two maverick players that not just our fans, but football fans everywhere enjoy watching.

Before the Briatore Ecclestone era we were most other fan's favourite second team. And even though Briatore and Ecclestone did awful things with the W12 boutique crap they were always looking for a manager that would get the team to play attractive football. Even if a manger only lasted five minutes, Jude was banned and we played in blue shorts. What was all that about?

QPR is about the team playing the type of football that entertains the fans. It always has been. When TF came in it was more about building the brand, the club, the new stadium and bringing in 'players' that reflected the upscale dream. That was wrong. I think he now knows that was wrong. I and many fans kept writing forget the new stadium and all these crazy fees on players and simply get the product on the pitch, the team and the football it plays right. It isn't there yet but it does feel like JFH has the required mindset to concentrate on the primary rules of a QPR team, made up of honest, hungry professionals, playing entertaining attacking football; usually with one or two maverick players that we enjoy watching.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What is 'success' for QPR? on 15:22 - Mar 24 with 10457 viewsTacticalR

Air hostess clique

What is 'success' for QPR? on 15:47 - Mar 24 with 10406 viewsMoonshineSteve

Benvenuto. Nice intro.

I have a slightly skewed view on us because when Dad first brought me to LR we were top of the league, our captain was England captain, we had 10 internationals in the team, including the biggest character in the game at the time. I just kind of assumed that was things in their rightful order. So for the long stretches since then when things haven't been going swimmingly, I have just felt that we were in a temporary blip before returning to our proper place.

And actually, I still think that. We will still win the league (if Leicester can do it so can we), have the top scorer in Europe again, supply five of the England team at the same time etc. We are the chosen ones. We are QPR.

I'm all fired up now. C'mon URRRRRRRRRRRS!
[Post edited 24 Mar 2016 15:50]

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

What is 'success' for QPR? on 15:52 - Mar 24 with 10391 viewsloftus77

Welcome.

To answer the question: qualification for the 4th Round of the FA Challenge Cup. It happened once, I'm sure...
What is 'success' for QPR? on 15:58 - Mar 24 with 10370 viewsYorkRanger

What is 'success' for QPR? on 15:52 - Mar 24 by loftus77

Welcome.

To answer the question: qualification for the 4th Round of the FA Challenge Cup. It happened once, I'm sure...

Welcome aboard.

For me stability, some success but not at all costs.

So Championship is fine , the odd spell in the Premier League and the occasional decent cup run (a Wembley appearance would be fantastic).

Watching the team playing decent football, with players who look like it matters would be good also.

Encouragingly I actually think we might be on the right track..
What is 'success' for QPR? on 16:01 - Mar 24 with 10346 viewsFrankieFiveAngels

Thank you one and all, I feel warm inside now! I agree with all the sentiments expressed, let's hope we start by getting a decent kit next year - that and getting to the 4th round of the Cup and I'm happy.

For now, I must leave you but remember this;
"Those were the great old days, you know... And we was like the Roman Empire... The QPR family was like the Roman Empire... "
What is 'success' for QPR? on 16:12 - Mar 24 with 10322 viewsenzian

What is 'success' for QPR? on 16:01 - Mar 24 by FrankieFiveAngels

Thank you one and all, I feel warm inside now! I agree with all the sentiments expressed, let's hope we start by getting a decent kit next year - that and getting to the 4th round of the Cup and I'm happy.

"Those were the great old days, you know... And we was like the Roman Empire... The QPR family was like the Roman Empire... "

Gibbons.
What is 'success' for QPR? on 08:15 - Mar 25 with 10074 viewsDylanP

Welcome mate. I like your first post. I went to my first game about a year after you, although I was 7 at the time -- QPR v Spurs and Stanley scored. That was that.

For me success would be having the same manager for a decade. I was going to write for more than one season, but that would only be temporary success. But if we could hold onto one manager for a whole decade it would indicate many things; most of them good. It would indicate that, at a minimum, we weren't failing -- the slightest failure and the itchy trigger finger just cannot resist. It might even indicate that management grew up and realized that stability is a key ingredient to success.

So, I am not asking for much from my team -- just the maturity to start something and see it through. Is that too much?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

What is 'success' for QPR? on 09:49 - Mar 25 with 10021 viewsDorse

Welcome aboard Frankie - good to have you with us.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

What is 'success' for QPR? on 10:55 - Mar 25 with 9985 viewspeejaybee

Welcome Frankie,Have you been to Hollywood.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

What is 'success' for QPR? on 14:56 - Mar 25 with 9908 viewsDeano19766

What is 'success' for QPR? on 16:01 - Mar 24 by FrankieFiveAngels

That closing thought sounds very morgantwin like........!!!!! ;)
What is 'success' for QPR? on 17:17 - Mar 25 with 9857 viewskingsburyR

Welcome aboard.....

Agree that another trip to Wembley would be nice, can't remember a thing about the last one!

For me it's all about being true to our philosophy. If success rides off the back of that then great!!!

Oh and a flairy maverick at No.10.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

What is 'success' for QPR? on 18:01 - Mar 25 with 9830 viewsNeil_SI

Here's my two pence and it's not necessarily what defines success for QPR overall, but if over the next years what I'm about to write happens, I'd define that as success.

Rather than move away from Loftus Road, stay. Buy the Jack Tizard School and look to try and successfully relocate them. There's a perfect opportunity to do this in a sensitive manner and move the school to the new Old Oak area once it arrives.

That would allow us to expand Loftus Road and introduce a raft of needed improvements, whether it's more office space, corporate or commercial facilities, or whatever. It could include improvements to facilities and an increase in capacity.

It means we can stay at home. It means we don't need to move. It means we can solve many of our problems and actually improve on things we're scared of losing forever, such as the closeness to the pitch and the atmosphere. Rather than worry about whether we'd lose those things, we know we'd likely improve them by staying and increasing the capacity by just a few thousand. It will only take that many in the same stadium to really make a difference.

That would allow us to focus on the training ground and embed ourselves back into the local community again, and keep everything as close together as possible. It would probably be a hell of a lot cheaper to do too. Certainly far less money than buying and building a brand new stadium and with much less political and development hassle.

From here, re-integrating into the local community is vital and needs to be tapped into. There needs to be a focus on ensuring the surrounding areas feel part of this, and that QPR are interested in them and vice versa. There are plenty of people locally now who have no interest in QPR and that has to change back to how it was before.

Finding that local spirit again will help the club build on its supporter base organically. Those people will take more interest and pride in their club and hopefully that translates back throughout the club who can then take pride in itself properly as an institution. That in turn will help the club build on its history in a proud manner, not a shameful one, as it has done for some time now.

When that happens, QPR feels like the QPR it used to be. To me, that's success, no matter what division the team is in. If the people supporting the club and those who work for it, do so with the pride and expectations we all want to see, then there will always be that feeling of togetherness and unity. And then that us versus them mentality is QPR versus everybody else, not QPR versus each other, which has been the case for many years now and pre-dates the current and even previous sets of owners. It's that malaise that set in that needs to be reversed, but it can only be done so if you actually care about the clubs best interests first.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2016 18:04]
What is 'success' for QPR? on 06:03 - Mar 26 with 9658 viewssuperhoopdownunder

We are around the 37th biggest club in England.
It is about fighting above our size playing good attractive football.

Ideally in the top half of the Premiership although would rather we were top half of the Championship rather than struggling in the bottom third of the Premier League.

Lots of goals and excitement and being able to stand on our own 2 feet financially
Recruiting young talented skilled players with good strong characters that represent us well.
No more mercenaries please.

U R's
What is 'success' for QPR? on 10:51 - Mar 26 with 9602 viewsterryb

Good post Frankie.

For me, realistic success is improving evry season as a club. On & off the pitch. Like you, I have gained some optimism over the last month that we are moving towards this.

However, I am wary that TF could change (again) his goals/expectations come the summer. Perhaps JFH has achieved too much too quickly & will be saddled with unfair expectations!

Of course, what I would really like, is to see a Rangers team play every week in the same way as the Jago/Sexton side did! Failing that, if they can equal the Venables team I would be reasonably happy!

Sadly though, that ain't gonna happen!
What is 'success' for QPR? on 11:15 - Mar 26 with 9587 viewsPunteR

What is 'success' for QPR? on 10:51 - Mar 26 by terryb

Good post Frankie.

For me, realistic success is improving evry season as a club. On & off the pitch. Like you, I have gained some optimism over the last month that we are moving towards this.

However, I am wary that TF could change (again) his goals/expectations come the summer. Perhaps JFH has achieved too much too quickly & will be saddled with unfair expectations!

Of course, what I would really like, is to see a Rangers team play every week in the same way as the Jago/Sexton side did! Failing that, if they can equal the Venables team I would be reasonably happy!

Sadly though, that ain't gonna happen!

We used to be a top London club and lots of people had us as there 2nd favourite team.
I feel we've lost a lot of respect within football. Gaining that respect back,wether its losing that "big spending" QPR tag or just playing consistent good football in whatever league we're in,would go some way in getting respect back.
We sold our soul last time we was in the prem. If we could be a premiership club without the need to buy big name players and keep the core of hardworking,honest players we've brought in from L1 and championship clubs that work to a QPR philosophy,than that to me would be a success story. A bit like the 10/11 season.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024