Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies 15:24 - Dec 19 with 7642 viewsGuppy22

Best keeper in the league without a doubt, IMO we are in serious trouble If we sell in January
Smithies on 15:29 - Dec 19 with 5748 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Think that's a bit unfair on Ingrams, he seems a very capable keeper and I for one would like to see some readies made available. The only player we've got that's worth anything is Smithies, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go.
Smithies on 15:30 - Dec 19 with 5745 viewsBostonR

He is a class act and is destined to play at a higher level which he deserves. The club did a nice bit of business bringing Matt Ingham in as his No2 so I would not be that worried.
Smithies on 15:30 - Dec 19 with 5745 viewsDorse

Ingram is a good keeper. If we get a ridiculous offer, we'd be hard-pushed not to take it.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Smithies on 15:45 - Dec 19 with 5704 viewsPinnerPaul

Like all GKs, he's not infallible - goal was a mistake by him.
Smithies on 15:53 - Dec 19 with 5670 viewsWadR

Smithies on 15:45 - Dec 19 by PinnerPaul

Like all GKs, he's not infallible - goal was a mistake by him.

Think mistake is a little harsh. Definitely saveable considering it was such a tight angle, but it was hard and low - really think if anyone's to blame for the goal it's Lynch for getting turned so easily for the umpteenth time in the game.

Smithies has been excellent for us. Really wish he'd sign that new contract but I've liked the look of Ingram too. If he does end up going in January or the summer, I just hope we get the price we should for him. Keepers are usually undervalued in the market, but we should be getting £10m+ for him I think.
Smithies on 15:58 - Dec 19 with 5651 viewsTacticalR

Selling Smithies. What a great idea. I am absolutely sick and tired of his penalty saves.

Air hostess clique

Smithies on 16:12 - Dec 19 with 5622 viewsSimonJames

Smithies on 15:30 - Dec 19 by Dorse

Ingram is a good keeper. If we get a ridiculous offer, we'd be hard-pushed not to take it.

Sods Law states that we have to sell Smithies (due to offer too good to refuse) and then Ingram immediately gets injured.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Smithies on 16:17 - Dec 19 with 5598 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Smithies on 15:58 - Dec 19 by TacticalR

Selling Smithies. What a great idea. I am absolutely sick and tired of his penalty saves.

To be fair, Ingram did alright in the penalty shoot out in the cup. I don't want Smithies to leave, our best player, but Ingram is a good keeper, and if we got a lot of money for him which could then buy a good striker, or a playmaker, or a right back, then I think I would

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Login to get fewer ads

Smithies on 18:31 - Dec 19 with 5418 viewsLongsufferingR

Smithies on 16:12 - Dec 19 by SimonJames

Sods Law states that we have to sell Smithies (due to offer too good to refuse) and then Ingram immediately gets injured.

Not to worry SJ. If that happens, we've got even more back up:

Smithies on 19:34 - Dec 19 with 5306 viewsDejR_vu

Smithies is the best player at the club by a mile. He's the only one who could comfortably play at a higher level.

If we were to sell him we will end up getting about 20% of what he's worth.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Smithies on 20:57 - Dec 19 with 5215 viewsDorse

Smithies on 16:12 - Dec 19 by SimonJames

I want to up-arrow this but am afraid that if I do the universe will act upon it.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Smithies on 21:12 - Dec 19 with 5177 viewsPunteR

Smithies on 15:30 - Dec 19 by Dorse

what is a ridiculous offer? £10 mill?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Smithies on 21:19 - Dec 19 with 5160 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hypothetical question.....

Would you swap Smithies for a Charlie Austen type player?
Smithies on 21:28 - Dec 19 with 5146 viewsPunteR

Smithies on 21:19 - Dec 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

Hypothetical question.....

Would you swap Smithies for a Charlie Austen type player?

Goals win games, so yes.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Smithies on 23:51 - Dec 19 with 5012 viewsisawqpratwcity

I think Ingram could step up, if necessary.

He must grind his teeth to dust every time Smithies saves a penalty.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Smithies on 01:18 - Dec 20 with 4985 viewsBoston

Every team in England should have a player called Smithies...and Snodgrass, Satterthwaite....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Smithies on 02:19 - Dec 20 with 4972 viewsMatch82

Smithies on 15:53 - Dec 19 by WadR

Think mistake is a little harsh. Definitely saveable considering it was such a tight angle, but it was hard and low - really think if anyone's to blame for the goal it's Lynch for getting turned so easily for the umpteenth time in the game.

Smithies has been excellent for us. Really wish he'd sign that new contract but I've liked the look of Ingram too. If he does end up going in January or the summer, I just hope we get the price we should for him. Keepers are usually undervalued in the market, but we should be getting £10m+ for him I think.

Shouldn't get beaten at your near post. If this was Green he'd be getting absolutely pelted for it. But of course in the game as a whole he made a few saves he had no business making, so for me was still a net positive from that game.
Smithies on 08:09 - Dec 20 with 4895 viewstimcocking

Best keeper in the universe! Only sickener being we always lose when he saves a penalty.
Smithies on 08:38 - Dec 20 with 4874 viewsHunterhoop

Smithies on 23:51 - Dec 19 by isawqpratwcity

I think Ingram could step up, if necessary.

He must grind his teeth to dust every time Smithies saves a penalty.

What?! Why?

You mean he wants us to concede? Of course, not.

If he's a half decent team mate and bloke he'll want his team mate to do well.
Smithies on 08:41 - Dec 20 with 4870 viewsHunterhoop

Smithies on 08:09 - Dec 20 by timcocking

Best keeper in the universe! Only sickener being we always lose when he saves a penalty.

Err....Fulham away?!
(No subject) (n/t) on 08:50 - Dec 20 with 4852 viewsHunterhoop

Smithies on 09:23 - Dec 20 with 4819 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Smithies on 02:19 - Dec 20 by Match82

Shouldn't get beaten at your near post. If this was Green he'd be getting absolutely pelted for it. But of course in the game as a whole he made a few saves he had no business making, so for me was still a net positive from that game.

Agree with that mostly, with one caveat.

He should have done better and his reaction to the goal showed it. I think that the near post issue is irrelevant here and I think that goalies let in lots of goal through misunderstanding it and being badly coached as they overcompensate to the near post and let the far post open - after all, why does it matter where the goal goes in? Your advantages as a goalie are that you can use your whole body so you should position it correctly not favour one post over the other.

Saying that a keeper should favour his near post is only true in one instance: if you have a teammate with a chance of covering the far post. Then your job is definitely not to get beaten at your near post and to delegate the far post to your defender(s). That wasn't the case on Sunday as he had no help so Smithies was, quite rightly, central.

His error, I thought, was that he should have been out further and quicker. He had plenty time to get out and the lob wasn't on. if he was out even two yards more there was no opening for the shot, and regardless of the power of the shot no goal.

As for being a net positive - definitely right. He was my man of the match despite the goal. Fantastic keeper. Utterly brilliant.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Smithies on 10:55 - Dec 20 with 4787 viewsTacticalR

Peter Schmeichel had a spat with Gary Neville over this very issue a couple of years ago:

'I'm always hearing "Oh the keeper can't be beaten at his near post", and I'm thinking "What's that all about? Have you ever been in goal?"'

In Short: Schmeichel: Neville on Mignolet was 'out of order'
http://emp.bbc.co.uk/emp/embed/smpEmbed.html?playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk

Air hostess clique

Smithies on 11:08 - Dec 20 with 4765 views2Thomas2Bowles

I do think he is a good keeper but as the comms said, everyone in the ground could see where the pen was going, the 2 low shots were fairly standard saves, he almost done a Green flap into his own net from one cross.

Glad we have him all the same.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Smithies on 11:11 - Dec 20 with 4754 viewsNorthernr

Smithies on 11:08 - Dec 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I do think he is a good keeper but as the comms said, everyone in the ground could see where the pen was going, the 2 low shots were fairly standard saves, he almost done a Green flap into his own net from one cross.

Glad we have him all the same.

"the 2 low shots were fairly standard saves"

standard for Smithies maybe, not for most keepers. Superb stops.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024