Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 18:31 - Mar 4 with 7172 viewsBlackCrowe

Weird first half - both the team and Olly looked completely subdued. Cardiff were really poor and when they scored, a defeat looked a certainty. Substitutions in the second half made all the difference. Got us out of jail.

Nkbagnato (sp) has got one helluva shot on him. Conor good. Smith good. Amazing save from Smithies Luongo headless chicken. Perch is utterly out of his depth - lazy and ungifted.

Cardiff - smallest support i've seen from them at LR. Fair play to them for joining in the minutes applause.

One final thing - whoever the DJ was before the match - good work fella - almost didn't want the team to come out.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Just back on 08:04 - Mar 5 with 2108 viewslondonscottish

Just back on 19:10 - Mar 4 by traininvain

Thought Perch did alright & ended the game quite well. Can't remember him doing too much wrong.

Well he didn't have a number on his shirt for the whole of the first half.

What was that all about?

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Just back on 08:23 - Mar 5 with 2048 viewseghamranger

Just back on 08:04 - Mar 5 by londonscottish

Well he didn't have a number on his shirt for the whole of the first half.

What was that all about?

He had a nose bleed so changed it as blood on it I suppose.

Think luongo had a nose bleed on a few occasions when he crossed the half way line 🙄
Just back on 08:51 - Mar 5 with 1952 viewsfrancisbowles

Strange selections today Luongo on the left, Mackie in midfield, no winger, no pace, unbalanced. Substitutions Yenni apart, not much better. Morrison wtf! and Wsolek on the left?

On Ravel, we saw exactly why he hasn't featured. Mentally and physically way of the pace. I lost count of the number of free kicks he conceded for jumping into players without even trying to look at the ball. Free kicks that were giving possession to the opposition when we needed to keep them away from our goal. He even showed his nasty side by having a go at Washington at one stage. A lot of work to be done if he is going to make an impact anything like last time.
Just back on 09:26 - Mar 5 with 1845 viewschris1969

Just back on 22:23 - Mar 4 by londonscottish

Noone has mentioned the ref and the lino on Ellerslie Road yet.

No idea why the ref gave 5 mins at the end of the second half. And decided that a challenge to Washington's throat in the box was in any way not to be encouraged.

But more to the point the lino om ER was way out of his depth. At one point in the first half a Cardiff player clearly played the ball about 2 ft out.

Still, not complaining.

6 Subs x 30sec= 3mins
2 Goals x 30sec = 1min
So the ref only added 1min
Just back on 09:37 - Mar 5 with 1796 viewssmegma

Just back on 21:22 - Mar 4 by TripleR

I have to agree with the post, couldn't understand why Luongo got the nod ahead of Manning.

I can't believe both Goss and Luongo started instead of Manning.But then footballs all about opinions.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2017 9:39]
Just back on 09:43 - Mar 5 with 1767 viewssmegma

Just back on 22:23 - Mar 4 by londonscottish

Noone has mentioned the ref and the lino on Ellerslie Road yet.

No idea why the ref gave 5 mins at the end of the second half. And decided that a challenge to Washington's throat in the box was in any way not to be encouraged.

But more to the point the lino om ER was way out of his depth. At one point in the first half a Cardiff player clearly played the ball about 2 ft out.

Still, not complaining.

The Lino at ER side was the worse guesser i've ever seen, as most of his decisions appeared to be guesses.

One in particular when Ned flew into a tackle, wiped a player out while putting the ball into touch. No foul, throw in to QPR.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2017 9:44]
Just back on 10:07 - Mar 5 with 1690 viewsRangersw12

Surprised by some of the comments on here as I thought we played well and thoughly deserved the 3 points

Bar 5 min spell after HT Cardiff didn't really threaten IMO

I thought Goss was excellent and looks like we might finally have a ball playing midfield like Ali

Connor was decent aswell and very unlucky not to score when he hit the post

All in all a very enjoyable game and another 3 points towards safety
Just back on 10:38 - Mar 5 with 1595 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just listened to Holloway's post-match interview on Player and his first statement was that it meant a lot as they had talked about coming from behind ((c) F. Saunders) and it was the first time they'd done it as a group in nineteen months.

Amazing stat if true.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 10:40 - Mar 5 with 1590 viewsdistortR

Just back on 10:38 - Mar 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Just listened to Holloway's post-match interview on Player and his first statement was that it meant a lot as they had talked about coming from behind ((c) F. Saunders) and it was the first time they'd done it as a group in nineteen months.

Amazing stat if true.

Well, we do lack penetration when coming from behind.
Just back on 10:45 - Mar 5 with 1564 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just back on 10:40 - Mar 5 by distortR

Well, we do lack penetration when coming from behind.

It's definitely been an anus horibilius.

Just back on 10:46 - Mar 5 with 1557 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Hard to disagree with a lot of what's been said above.

First half we were still in the changing room. Olly got the subs right, but got the starting XI wrong in my view. Mackie lost in that role and no width/outlet ball. While we don't necessarily always want to have a fall guy, Luongo for me just runs around the game. There was however, one great run he made in the first half and as soon as he got to the box and the point of delivering, folded. Just no end product and I've just seen nothing that warranted a lengthy contract extension.

With Goss here, it's the final nail in Doughty's coffin. Clearly got a pass on him and clearly all the outfield players need to wise up, give him an option and he'll find you.

I thought Smith typified our display. Didn't play well, but stuck at it and got a result. That is light years ahead of where we were pre-Olly. Then, we'd have descended to Queens Park Strangers, capitulated and look like a gaggle desperately awaiting the final whistle.

Nowhere is this more evidenced, then in Washington's turn around. Why? Played in the right role, looks like a man reinvented. It really isn't that hard is it!

Midfield and attacking side, we're getting there. Between the sticks, arguably the best combo outside the Prem. But Hall and a fit Robinson aside (which sadly, is a big if) the rest of the defence has question marks over it for me. If Furlong isn't going to cut it, we need a right back and a Dunne/Hill type figure in the middle.

But as is, simpler distribution from the back and none of this aimless hoofing and we're well on our way. Lot of positives from a solid workmanlike display.

Well done Rs!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Just back on 11:01 - Mar 5 with 1529 viewsstevec

Just back on 10:46 - Mar 5 by PlanetHonneywood

Hard to disagree with a lot of what's been said above.

First half we were still in the changing room. Olly got the subs right, but got the starting XI wrong in my view. Mackie lost in that role and no width/outlet ball. While we don't necessarily always want to have a fall guy, Luongo for me just runs around the game. There was however, one great run he made in the first half and as soon as he got to the box and the point of delivering, folded. Just no end product and I've just seen nothing that warranted a lengthy contract extension.

With Goss here, it's the final nail in Doughty's coffin. Clearly got a pass on him and clearly all the outfield players need to wise up, give him an option and he'll find you.

I thought Smith typified our display. Didn't play well, but stuck at it and got a result. That is light years ahead of where we were pre-Olly. Then, we'd have descended to Queens Park Strangers, capitulated and look like a gaggle desperately awaiting the final whistle.

Nowhere is this more evidenced, then in Washington's turn around. Why? Played in the right role, looks like a man reinvented. It really isn't that hard is it!

Midfield and attacking side, we're getting there. Between the sticks, arguably the best combo outside the Prem. But Hall and a fit Robinson aside (which sadly, is a big if) the rest of the defence has question marks over it for me. If Furlong isn't going to cut it, we need a right back and a Dunne/Hill type figure in the middle.

But as is, simpler distribution from the back and none of this aimless hoofing and we're well on our way. Lot of positives from a solid workmanlike display.

Well done Rs!

Agree with all that.

A thoroughly good day out watching enjoyable football.
Just back on 11:08 - Mar 5 with 1509 viewsNorthernr

As said, wrong team but got the subs right - opposite of what happened in a lot of games so far where the subs weakened us.

Ngbakoto's a funny one isn't he? Looks like he doesn't want to know, and then suddenly an explosion.

We need to find an alternative to Manning in midfield. Cousins maybe. Somebody who can get around opponents, niggle, break the play up, go box to box. First half yestrerday was like the Burton game, which was the last time we left him out. Goss looked a bit 'academy' to me, used to playing with the other boys on the pristine pitches and spraying passes around, not used to mucking in.
Just back on 11:40 - Mar 5 with 1398 viewsfrancisbowles

Just back on 11:08 - Mar 5 by Northernr

As said, wrong team but got the subs right - opposite of what happened in a lot of games so far where the subs weakened us.

Ngbakoto's a funny one isn't he? Looks like he doesn't want to know, and then suddenly an explosion.

We need to find an alternative to Manning in midfield. Cousins maybe. Somebody who can get around opponents, niggle, break the play up, go box to box. First half yestrerday was like the Burton game, which was the last time we left him out. Goss looked a bit 'academy' to me, used to playing with the other boys on the pristine pitches and spraying passes around, not used to mucking in.

I thought the only sub he really got right was Yenni. Morrison was awful and Pavel fairly anonymous on the left.

With Yenni, he is now fitter, probably in a better frame of mind as more time has passed after his family bereavement and settling in new country, team and manager change. It also helps to play him on the right side of the pitch. Helps him to move the ball forward quicker and less chance of shots being blocked. Same goes for Luongo, much better on the right.

Problem is we now have Pavel and Yenni both should walk into the team on ability but both probably best in the same position. Not to mention Petrasso and Shodipo when he returns.
Just back on 11:46 - Mar 5 with 1372 viewsenfieldargh

Just back on 19:10 - Mar 4 by traininvain

Thought Perch did alright & ended the game quite well. Can't remember him doing too much wrong.

I think Perch has had two good back to back performances, yesterday and up at Preston.

Luongo was a bit off the pace but like Fer has a languid style which looks like he's ambling along.

He's lacking end product to his play at the moment but has the ability to create things as seen with the equalizer.

Expect to see Freeman back in on Tuesday

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Just back on 13:04 - Mar 5 with 1352 viewsOldPedro

Just back on 11:46 - Mar 5 by enfieldargh

I think Perch has had two good back to back performances, yesterday and up at Preston.

Luongo was a bit off the pace but like Fer has a languid style which looks like he's ambling along.

He's lacking end product to his play at the moment but has the ability to create things as seen with the equalizer.

Expect to see Freeman back in on Tuesday

I think we might see Freeman and Manning back in on Tuesday and maybe Darnell and Pav on the right too - my initial thoughts when I saw the team was that maybe a few were carrying knocks or Holloway was looking at picking differnt midfields for yesterday and Tuesday

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Just back on 13:21 - Mar 5 with 1303 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just back on 13:04 - Mar 5 by OldPedro

I think we might see Freeman and Manning back in on Tuesday and maybe Darnell and Pav on the right too - my initial thoughts when I saw the team was that maybe a few were carrying knocks or Holloway was looking at picking differnt midfields for yesterday and Tuesday

Holloway confirmed in his post-match interview that Manning rolled his ankle in training on Friday.

Just back on 13:55 - Mar 5 with 1240 viewsOldPedro

Just back on 13:21 - Mar 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Holloway confirmed in his post-match interview that Manning rolled his ankle in training on Friday.

Thanks - I hadn't seen that - explains why he didn't bring him on. I thought Manning would have been a better option than Morrison when we were defending a lead towards the end of the game.

I know Morrison needs more game time - thought he looked off the pace yesterday

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Just back on 14:26 - Mar 5 with 1169 viewsoldmisery

Just back on 21:47 - Mar 4 by Trom

I'll second that - I thought Perch had a good game too. There were a few comments between my crowd about how he looked much better than earlier in the season.

Just shows how opinions differ. If I was scoring Perch on his first half performance he'd be lucky to get 0/10. He failed to stop his winger crossing the ball once and if Cardiff had a decent stiker we could have been in real trouble - in fact you could say that Harris ripped him a new arris. I can only assume that Olly thought Toilet would be playing wide left and wanted to protect Furlong because I can't think of any other reason for Perch's inclusion at full back.

Thankfully he improved after the interval which is not something you could say of poor Jamie who looked totally lost throughout. I'm not sure playing Mackie and Washington in the same team really works, they are of a similar style; all effort without much reward. For me, a lot of Smith's great work came to nothing because neither Jamie nor (especially) Conor we reading his flicks in order to capitalise on his dominance in the air. Hopefully that will come.
Just back on 14:36 - Mar 5 with 1140 viewsrichranger

Interesting that the best celebration the players have is when Yeni scores. Was very noticeable yesterday, and after his goal at Birmingham. Obviously very popular with his team mates. I wonder if it because the bereavement he had. Whatever the case, I'm glad he's starting to look like a class player.
Just back on 15:18 - Mar 5 with 1057 viewskarlski

It was a funny old game. I thought Goss was our best player but we seemed to improve when he went off. As others have mentioned I think this was due to a change in shape - midfield pushed further forward. Luongo, who I've generally been a fan of, was atrocious until that change, but then came alive and was instrumental in the equaliser. Very strange overall performance where I thought he was carrying an injury even allowing for his languid style, but then he looked mor energised the longer th game went on. As for Goss, very encouraging, great awareness and range of passing, once he adapts to the pace of the championship and gets battle hardened I think we will have a great player on our hands. His ball to Bidwell in the second half was world class. We need this type of player in the squad.

As much as I like mackie he was lost in his role and ineffective. A good presence on the picth as a character but not much else in that role.

Super work rate from everyone and particular the top two who weren't getting too much joy but were tireless. Washington is a threatening presence in every game. Superbly worked and taken first goal, lucky bounce for th winner but it came from an excellent delivery and smith getting in front and across his man.

Player after player in the second half went across to the touchline to get instructions as nobody seemed to quite know where they were playing and it certainly looked confusing. Yet the subs clearly worked, hard one to work out!

We did well to survive cardiffs purple patch at start of second half and great to see resilience and grit. Morrison as many have said looked miles off the pace but this is to be expected - if he can get back to the state he was in his first spell then he will be an impactful option to have.

Buzzing at the final whistle, a satisfying win.
Just back on 21:34 - Mar 5 with 872 viewsBklynRanger

Morrison was undoubtedly rusty but you could still see he has ability beyond this level with the ball at his feet square on to a player. He bomboozled that defender completely to win the free kick that Yeni hit which led to the corner and the winning goal.

Goss was a bit conservative with his passes in the first half - feeling his way in but not in a pervy way. He and Hall seemed to have been told to cover for each other when the other went forward so it's a bit funny to see somebody with a No. 10 on his back standing between the two CBs. I'd guess Olly may have told him to start hitting them forward after half time. That pass to Bidwell made an audible fizz though I may have imagined it.

Mackie was quite irritated with the lino in the second half and understandably so - he scampered beautifully up and down the line but was clueless.

Overall I think Olly has the players a bit confused at times but there's something very promising about it all.
Just back on 21:54 - Mar 5 with 840 viewsconnell10

Just back on 14:26 - Mar 5 by oldmisery

Just shows how opinions differ. If I was scoring Perch on his first half performance he'd be lucky to get 0/10. He failed to stop his winger crossing the ball once and if Cardiff had a decent stiker we could have been in real trouble - in fact you could say that Harris ripped him a new arris. I can only assume that Olly thought Toilet would be playing wide left and wanted to protect Furlong because I can't think of any other reason for Perch's inclusion at full back.

Thankfully he improved after the interval which is not something you could say of poor Jamie who looked totally lost throughout. I'm not sure playing Mackie and Washington in the same team really works, they are of a similar style; all effort without much reward. For me, a lot of Smith's great work came to nothing because neither Jamie nor (especially) Conor we reading his flicks in order to capitalise on his dominance in the air. Hopefully that will come.

No reward apart from Connors goals!!!!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Just back on 21:56 - Mar 5 with 838 viewsBromleyHoop

Just back on 21:34 - Mar 5 by BklynRanger

Morrison was undoubtedly rusty but you could still see he has ability beyond this level with the ball at his feet square on to a player. He bomboozled that defender completely to win the free kick that Yeni hit which led to the corner and the winning goal.

Goss was a bit conservative with his passes in the first half - feeling his way in but not in a pervy way. He and Hall seemed to have been told to cover for each other when the other went forward so it's a bit funny to see somebody with a No. 10 on his back standing between the two CBs. I'd guess Olly may have told him to start hitting them forward after half time. That pass to Bidwell made an audible fizz though I may have imagined it.

Mackie was quite irritated with the lino in the second half and understandably so - he scampered beautifully up and down the line but was clueless.

Overall I think Olly has the players a bit confused at times but there's something very promising about it all.

"Mackie was quite irritated with the lino in the second half and understandably so - he scampered beautifully up and down the line but was clueless."

That could describe the performance of both the linesman and Mackie.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Just back on 23:54 - Mar 5 with 753 viewsoldmisery

Just back on 21:54 - Mar 5 by connell10

No reward apart from Connors goals!!!!!

My observations were only related to the game on Saturday but in actual fact you are correct, Conor has indeed scored 4 goals since we signed Matt Smith from Fulham.

However, in the case of the first two goals (against Burton and Newcastle) Smith wasn't even playing. In the case of the latter two goals (against Birmingham and Wigan)the first was unassisted and the second made by Freeman and Lua Lua.

My hope is that they can eventually achieve the big man/little man combination where Smith is the architect of many more Conor Washington goals.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024