Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Somewhere in Somerset 21:42 - Jun 21 with 8662 viewsMonahoop

Somewhere in the pleasant county of Somerset hordes of folk are heading to a farm near the town of Glastonbury. Anyone on here going? Anyone been before? What about this years line up? Looks pretty lame to me, but horses for courses I suppose and the odd surprise does happen now and then [ thinking of Lionel Richie's performance 2 years ago]. I've not been since 1979. Seemed a biggish festival then, but now it seems to have grown out of all proportion. Anyway, enjoy if you're going.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Somewhere in Somerset on 01:38 - Jun 25 with 2506 viewsBoston

Somewhere in Somerset on 01:29 - Jun 25 by CliveWilsonSaid

I know but he sings them very well. He gives them wings.

...they give him wigs.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Somewhere in Somerset on 10:04 - Jun 25 with 2417 viewsDorse

Somewhere in Somerset on 01:06 - Jun 25 by CliveWilsonSaid

The Foo Fighters are a very good band but if you like songs, i'd recommend Bob Dylan or James Taylor.

Bob Dylan sounds like a broken Hoover.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Somewhere in Somerset on 10:12 - Jun 25 with 2413 viewshubble

First went in 85, mud so deep, riding my 500 Honda V twin it was up to my knees. Opened my tent bag to find my darling mother who had borrowed it had forgotten to pack the fly sheet. Got drunk, stoned, watched Ian Dury and the Blockheads, tried to sleep with water dripping on my head, gave up, left the tent and facked off at about 3am.

In the ensuing years I probably went a further 9 times, managed to never pay and generally had a great time, including the time I accidentally gave my 5 year old daughter half a hash cookie (I ate the other half, I thought it was an ordinary biscuit). In point of fact, we had a wonderful time on it...

1986 the travellers and the rest who were ousted from Stonehenge turned up en masse and the festival doubled in size, I'd say there were 250,000 that year.

I think in some ways the most memorable festival I went to was Stonehenge Free Festival in 1982. A totally free festival, organised by the attendees, wild, crazy and a huge amount of fun, even when the Hells Angels turned up and caused a bit of a stir amongst the residents, but really after they'd turned over Mr Greedy's hot knife tent they were fine.

Edit: meant to add that I was offered a ticket for this year but turned it down. Too long in the tooth now for roughing it, those toilets and all the rest. Plus the corporatisation has ruined it for me. And being hemmed in by that vast wall. And it's a bit of a middle class w@nkfest now isn't it, really?

Still some great stuff of course. Trash City for example and Lost Vagueness used to be amazing.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 10:20]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Somewhere in Somerset on 10:58 - Jun 25 with 2372 views1BobbyHazell

Great headline act this year mind.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/jeremy-corbyn-glaston

Quoting Shelley no less

"Rise, like lions after slumber. In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew. Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many–they are few!"
Somewhere in Somerset on 11:12 - Jun 25 with 2368 viewsMonahoop

The Foo Fighters performance just enhanced the reason why I can't listen to hard rock, metal etc anymore.Just an overblown, drawn out wall of noise.I used to quite respect them, but God they were friggin' tedious last night.Everything sounded the same and Grohls endless expletives attempting to give it all a sinister edge to the middle class throngs was really quite pathetic. In that genre I can still listen or tolerate the likes of White Denim, Queens of the Stone Age or Black Keys, but that's about it.
Have been a bit disappointed in what I've seen of this festival so far.Will Ed Sheeran rescue the situation tonight??!

Somewhere in Somerset on 11:21 - Jun 25 with 2348 viewsHayesender

Stan Bowles flag spotted at Glastonbury. Well played whoever this is

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Somewhere in Somerset on 11:49 - Jun 25 with 2334 views2Thomas2Bowles

Somewhere in Somerset on 11:12 - Jun 25 by Monahoop

The Foo Fighters performance just enhanced the reason why I can't listen to hard rock, metal etc anymore.Just an overblown, drawn out wall of noise.I used to quite respect them, but God they were friggin' tedious last night.Everything sounded the same and Grohls endless expletives attempting to give it all a sinister edge to the middle class throngs was really quite pathetic. In that genre I can still listen or tolerate the likes of White Denim, Queens of the Stone Age or Black Keys, but that's about it.
Have been a bit disappointed in what I've seen of this festival so far.Will Ed Sheeran rescue the situation tonight??!

It's been poor, turned over after 15 mins of the Foo just noise

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Somewhere in Somerset on 17:05 - Jun 25 with 2245 viewsfrancisbowles

Watched the Foo (see Monahoop), caught the end of Jools, who I like when he is not doing the singing but unfortunately he had his old pal Ruby screaming her tits off. She has a voice but always goes way over the top, IMHO. I saw all of Mark Lanegan as he is someone who I have quite liked on MP3 and he was ok.

I would like to have seen Andy Fairweather Low and Steve Harley both of which I have seen live recently but unfortunately they are not being shown on TV.

The highlight for me so far was Difford and Tillbrook doing 'Up the Junction', in the garden with a kazoo orchestra!
Login to get fewer ads

Somewhere in Somerset on 19:26 - Jun 25 with 2165 views2Thomas2Bowles

Somewhere in Somerset on 11:21 - Jun 25 by Hayesender

it's at the front of the other stage now

Courteeners
[Post edited 25 Jun 2017 19:27]

Somewhere in Somerset on 20:27 - Jun 25 with 2113 viewsMonahoop

Worth just going to watch Chic and Nile Rogers alone at this festival. A total cut above just about everything else I've watched on this festival so far. Great entertainers and musicians. Love that bass player.

Somewhere in Somerset on 21:14 - Jun 25 with 2076 viewsactonman

Somewhere in Somerset on 20:27 - Jun 25 by Monahoop

Worth just going to watch Chic and Nile Rogers alone at this festival. A total cut above just about everything else I've watched on this festival so far. Great entertainers and musicians. Love that bass player.

Yeah that was worth the entrance fee alone, I hope all those youngsters in the crowd realise how lucky they are to be there for that , rogers is a fking legend !!
Somewhere in Somerset on 22:06 - Jun 25 with 1991 viewsthame_hoops

Somewhere in Somerset on 11:21 - Jun 25 by Hayesender

It belongs to herts_ranger from the old rivals board.
Somewhere in Somerset on 22:23 - Jun 25 with 1967 viewsBrightonhoop

Somewhere in Somerset on 16:09 - Jun 24 by smegma

I jibbed in back in 1989. Don't remember much due to lysergic influences but it was a great trip. In 1990 I spent £35 on a weekend ticket. In 89 the crowd was 60k, for 90 it was 90k. I thought the crowd was too big and at times in front of the pyramid stage the crushing became dangerous. During the Cures headline set, a helicopter landed beside the stage as one bloke got badly hurt. Seeing someone receiving CPR while you're monged off your tits isn't my idea of fun.
The following year 91 they said they were increasing the crowd to 120k. I bailed out and haven't returned. Nowadays it's turned into a corporate circus what with live TV, sponsorship and GLAMPING. What's wrong with $hitting under the nearest tree? If it was good enough for me......
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 16:11]

I was there for that one Smegma, the rescue helicopter did more harm than the volatile crowd. Found a great all night rave in the travellers field that night, and a sauna in the way back from there, went on for breakfast towards the Pyriamid and found, well, a pleasant young lady.
Seem to remember Mark E Smith having the hump because The Fall weren't headlining, Nick Cave stole it and Adamski bass just throttling that small corner of Somerset.
And loads of pizza bikes going about with dodgy geezers shouting hash for cash.
Proper good 3 nights away that one was.
Reading was a bore b comparison but had it's moments.
Great times but doesn't appeal to me these days...
Somewhere in Somerset on 22:35 - Jun 25 with 1951 viewsPunteR

Just watching BBC2 now. Its shockingly bad. Ed Sheeran..?! Watched a bit last night with the Foo Fighters , and the crowd were full of Ed sheran fans it seems. Thought the band played ok but the atmosphere was completly flat which killed it imo.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Somewhere in Somerset on 22:45 - Jun 25 with 1925 viewsderbyhoop

Loved Radiohead on Friday night.
Watched a bit of Kaiser Chiefs (shite!), Father John Misty (decent) and Foo Fighters (not bad).
Ed Sheeran is on at the moment.I just don't get the appeal.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Somewhere in Somerset on 22:52 - Jun 25 with 1914 viewsloftboy

Ed Sheeran wtf. Rapping like an eastend gangster one minute, country and western next the Irish folk music!!
Highlight of the weekend for me has been Nile Rodgers

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Somewhere in Somerset on 22:57 - Jun 25 with 1906 views2Thomas2Bowles

Somewhere in Somerset on 22:45 - Jun 25 by derbyhoop

Loved Radiohead on Friday night.
Watched a bit of Kaiser Chiefs (shite!), Father John Misty (decent) and Foo Fighters (not bad).
Ed Sheeran is on at the moment.I just don't get the appeal.

It's for girls and gingers

Somewhere in Somerset on 23:53 - Jun 25 with 1840 viewsFredManRave

Somewhere in Somerset on 22:57 - Jun 25 by 2Thomas2Bowles

It's for girls and gingers

Wasn-t that Metallicas idea of heaven!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Somewhere in Somerset on 08:33 - Jun 26 with 1724 viewsDorse

Nile Rogers is brilliant but every time I hear his name I think it should be a character played by Sid James in a pith helmet.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Somewhere in Somerset on 08:38 - Jun 26 with 1716 viewssmegma

Somewhere in Somerset on 08:33 - Jun 26 by Dorse

Nile Rogers is brilliant but every time I hear his name I think it should be a character played by Sid James in a pith helmet.

Didn't he play for Newcastle ??
Somewhere in Somerset on 09:43 - Jun 26 with 1679 viewsMick_S

Somewhere in Somerset on 08:38 - Jun 26 by smegma

Didn't he play for Newcastle ??

Think you are getting them mixed up mate.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Somewhere in Somerset on 10:18 - Jun 26 with 1637 viewsSimonJames

There's no Glastonbury next year, so I'm going to spend the next 2 years seeing if I can find a mad scientist who can bring back Malcolm Owen and Paul Fox from the dead so The Ruts can headline the Park Stage in 2019.
Also I'll get Jack Bruce revived (so Cream can play)
...and Joe Strummer

100% of people who drink water will die.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024