Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? 04:18 - Aug 6 with 9865 viewsDylanP

In your opinion, who is the greatest goalie of all time?

Obviously, the question is triggered by Smithie's rising stature and superb save today coupled with the fact that David Seaman was honoured at the game today.

So how would you answer?

For me its a really hard question. My favourite goalie of all time is Phil Parkes because he was the wizard between the sticks when I first fell in love with QPR. But we have been blessed with some great goalies through the years: Peter Hucker, Chris Woods, the ever entertaining Budgie, Paddy Kenny, and now Smithie, to name a few highlights.

At the end of the day, I think the answer must be David Seaman. After all, he earned 75 England caps (Parkes had 1) and played in 2 world cups and two European Championships for his country. It could be argued that Ron Sprigett should be part of the conversation -- after all he earned 33 caps for England and was part of the World Cup winning squad in 1966.

What do you think?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 16:12 - Aug 6 with 1960 viewsqprphil

Phil Parkes for me, one of the best goalkeepers I've ever seen. Always out to claim every cross that had to be taken. For a big man was quick to get down for a save.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 16:15 - Aug 6 with 1957 viewsoldranger

I am an old Ranger, first visit 1946-7 season and have seen all keepers from Allen to Smithies, in my humle opinion Parkes was the best day in day out.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 16:43 - Aug 6 with 1934 viewsLongsufferingR

Parkes would always be the call over Seaman to me. Seaman was always prone to too many Green moments. Smithies is certainly ridiculously talented and I hope he stays with us long enough to attract legend status.

Just thought the clips of Green moments could do with one added example though:

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 17:03 - Aug 6 with 1923 viewsJAPRANGERS

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 16:43 - Aug 6 by LongsufferingR

Parkes would always be the call over Seaman to me. Seaman was always prone to too many Green moments. Smithies is certainly ridiculously talented and I hope he stays with us long enough to attract legend status.

Thanks for the additional clip. Green at his absolute best.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 17:54 - Aug 6 with 1888 viewsterryb

Not born when Reg Allen played for Rangers, but on reputation I've had to include him in my top three.

1) Phil Parkes
2) Reg Allen
3) Alex Smithies

Smithies is listed as I expect him to have moved ahead of Hucker, Seaman etc. by the end of this season.

Greatest save? Has to be Chris Day against oldham in the play off. He also gets my vote for greatest match in the 1-0 win at Blackpool!
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 17:57 - Aug 6 with 1884 viewsNov77

Remember having high hopes for chris woods when he arrived from forest which he didn't quite live up to.

Having seen both parkes and seaman, I'd say seaman just edges it. Parkes did make the odd mistake which doesn't get remembered because hardly any games were televised back then.

Both fantastic keepers though.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 19:00 - Aug 6 with 1842 viewsBillionR

Julio Cesar is the best goalkeeper to have ever worn a qpr shirt. Just a shame he was way past his best when he arrived. Similarly Seaman had an awesome career but was not the finished article when he left - couldn't kick for toffee. Best IN a qpr shirt, Hucker or Kenney and of course my avatar. But Smithies has the potential to take the crown with another good season.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 19:11 - Aug 6 with 1838 viewsCamberleyR

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 17:57 - Aug 6 by Nov77

Remember having high hopes for chris woods when he arrived from forest which he didn't quite live up to.

Having seen both parkes and seaman, I'd say seaman just edges it. Parkes did make the odd mistake which doesn't get remembered because hardly any games were televised back then.

Both fantastic keepers though.

In Woods' defence though, he was still a very young man. Not quite twenty and very inexperienced when we signed him as he'd never played a league game although Cloughie had trusted him enough at 18 to be the cup tied Peter Shilton's replacement for their winning 1978 League Cup campaign.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 19:29 - Aug 6 with 1825 viewsBoston

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 19:11 - Aug 6 by CamberleyR

In Woods' defence though, he was still a very young man. Not quite twenty and very inexperienced when we signed him as he'd never played a league game although Cloughie had trusted him enough at 18 to be the cup tied Peter Shilton's replacement for their winning 1978 League Cup campaign.

That's why we got him wasn't it...too much wood in the forest?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 20:35 - Aug 6 with 1790 viewsTripleR

Phil Parkes for me. Parkes was in a great team and played against the very best. A fantastic keeper who would have got loads more caps for England if he played for a more fashionable club. He was better than Ray Clemence and he got 60 odd caps.
Smithies is the best since Parkes. Smithies doesn't make too many mistakes, his distribution is very good, his shot-stopping is excellent, also very good on crosses. His positioning is also excellent.
The save yesterday was a game changer, if Reading had scored to make it 1-1 it may have been a very different result altogether.
We can only wait and see if Smithies gets a chance to play against the best with us and becomes a QPR legend.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 20:41 - Aug 6 with 1782 viewsJAPRANGERS

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 20:35 - Aug 6 by TripleR

Phil Parkes for me. Parkes was in a great team and played against the very best. A fantastic keeper who would have got loads more caps for England if he played for a more fashionable club. He was better than Ray Clemence and he got 60 odd caps.
Smithies is the best since Parkes. Smithies doesn't make too many mistakes, his distribution is very good, his shot-stopping is excellent, also very good on crosses. His positioning is also excellent.
The save yesterday was a game changer, if Reading had scored to make it 1-1 it may have been a very different result altogether.
We can only wait and see if Smithies gets a chance to play against the best with us and becomes a QPR legend.

Why did we let Parkes go to West ham??
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 21:06 - Aug 6 with 1758 viewsCiderwithRsie

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 16:15 - Aug 6 by oldranger

I am an old Ranger, first visit 1946-7 season and have seen all keepers from Allen to Smithies, in my humle opinion Parkes was the best day in day out.

For the benefit of the rest of us, how highly do you rate Allen and Springett? Better or worse than Seaman?
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 21:08 - Aug 6 with 1754 viewsdachiltern

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:17 - Aug 6 by Bluce_Ree

Rob Green.

Alan Spratley.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 21:11 - Aug 6 with 1749 viewsSidamere

Juergen Sommer would also be in the top 10. But for me it has to be Big Phil
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 21:53 - Aug 6 with 1713 viewsCiderwithRsie

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 20:41 - Aug 6 by JAPRANGERS

Why did we let Parkes go to West ham??

Half a million. In fact I don't think we "let" him go, my impression was that he'd have rather stayed.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 01:58 - Aug 7 with 1684 viewsPlanetHonneywood

What has been interesting to read, are the different generational views, that have brought in Reg Allen and Ron Springett.

However, one thing none of us have factored in, is the ball! I suspect maybe even as late as the early-90s, the ball was a relatively predictable orb through the air and, certainly for the older keepers, they were heavier than today's orabs. And, that's before we consider their tendency to become medicine balls in the rain. Thus, I wonder if the ball moved slower and remained truer in flight than today, made it easier for them? I couldn't see Roberto Carlos hit a free kick with an old ball, that started out aiming for Geneva, but swung back in towards Skegness to heat Barthez in Lyon!

That said, they played in an era where Bert Trautman didn't get a free kick after a neck breaking challenge; so it's all relative I suppose.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 02:03 - Aug 7 with 1681 viewsBoston

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 01:58 - Aug 7 by PlanetHonneywood

What has been interesting to read, are the different generational views, that have brought in Reg Allen and Ron Springett.

However, one thing none of us have factored in, is the ball! I suspect maybe even as late as the early-90s, the ball was a relatively predictable orb through the air and, certainly for the older keepers, they were heavier than today's orabs. And, that's before we consider their tendency to become medicine balls in the rain. Thus, I wonder if the ball moved slower and remained truer in flight than today, made it easier for them? I couldn't see Roberto Carlos hit a free kick with an old ball, that started out aiming for Geneva, but swung back in towards Skegness to heat Barthez in Lyon!

That said, they played in an era where Bert Trautman didn't get a free kick after a neck breaking challenge; so it's all relative I suppose.

I'm led to believe that the ball weight has been the same for a long long time, difference is materials, today's don't soak up moisture and lend themselves to trickery.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 02:27 - Aug 7 with 1674 viewsPommyhoop

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 16:43 - Aug 6 by LongsufferingR

Thanks for that clip. You've answered the question ' why the f'ck didn't Green 1st time clear Neds back pass.He was frit because he remembered that old blunder. Useless prick...

Parks
Smithies ( I know he hasn't been with us long but he is mustard and a future England no 1)
Seaman.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 08:27 - Aug 7 with 1628 viewspaulparker

Have to agree with another poster that seamen was very dodgy at freekicks when he was with us also his kicking and distribution wasn't very good either, he really did improve when he left us for Arsenal , don't get me wrong he was a brilliant shot stopper but the seamen at QPR is night and day compared to the seamen at Arsenal
for that reason I would go for Stejskal as the best ive seen , his presence was brilliant and could throw a ball longer than some could kick it , im to young to ever have seen phil parkes im a whipper snapper at 41 so chris day gets the nod at 2nd place just for that save against Oldham

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 08:48 - Aug 7 with 1621 viewsToast_R

I don't quite understand the fondness for Stejskal . Wasn't all that IMO and anyone who had to settle as second fiddle for a good portion of time to Tony Roberts???? Come on please...
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 09:56 - Aug 7 with 1596 viewsnadera78

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 01:58 - Aug 7 by PlanetHonneywood

In the old days a Keeper had to be able to claim a cross and wipe out a centre forward at the same time. No-one in the last 20 years has had to deal with that. Apparently, on his QPR debut, Brian Bedford put the ball and opposition GK into the back of the net.

Comparing players across the eras is always difficult but if the history books are anything to go by then Allen has to be ranked alongside Parkes, Seaman and both Springett brothers. I really rated Stejskal, but always thought Francis considered him too laid back. Likewise Hucker was harshly treated.

It's way too soon to be putting Smithies in that category, he's not been here long enough and has only played in the Championship. Those other players all performed at the very highest level over many years.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 10:15 - Aug 7 with 1588 viewscolinallcars

We nearly always seem to have good keepers even lesser known ones like Ray Drinkwater and the amazing Mike Pinner who played as a part-timer amateur and was at many clubs and in two Olympic games for England.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 10:38 - Aug 7 with 1578 viewsLunarJetman

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 10:58 - Aug 6 by stowmarketrange

Was he not the keeper at Watford for the penalty shoot out win in the league cup?Or is my memory playing tricks?

My first ever live QPR match! 14 February 1989. Watford v QPR in the quarter final of the Simod Cup.

We drew the game 1-1 then won 3-1 on penalties. Seem to remember Seaman saving one with his feet as he dived the other way!

We then lost to Everton away in the Semis....
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 11:28 - Aug 7 with 1566 viewsoldranger

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 21:06 - Aug 6 by CiderwithRsie

For the benefit of the rest of us, how highly do you rate Allen and Springett? Better or worse than Seaman?

Allen was a bit of a flashy keeper. I assume you mean Ron Springett and not Peter. I would rate Seaman as more reliable than both.
Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 12:48 - Aug 7 with 1534 viewsquickpassrotter

Who is the Greatest QPR Goalie of All Time? on 11:24 - Aug 6 by connell10

Big phil by far our best ever keeper imo.

Me too. Undoubtedly. Phil Parkes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024