Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Van dijk 75 million 19:33 - Dec 27 with 6767 viewsloftboy

The worlds gone mad, think that might be the final straw with me and football.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Van dijk 75 million on 08:28 - Dec 28 with 2094 viewsactonman

You have to hand to Southampton , that's some bit of business. Bought him for 17m 2 years ago then as with any half decent player they acquire, palm him off to Liverpool for obscene amounts of cash.
We would have ended up loaning him there until they realised he was a busted flush then ended up with him back and no use to anyone ...... oh wait
Van dijk 75 million on 08:52 - Dec 28 with 2068 viewsTheChef

But he's still going to have that liability Mignolet behind him.

They could buy Smithies for less than a tenth of that price and be much improved defensively.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Van dijk 75 million on 09:10 - Dec 28 with 2053 viewsterryb

Of course the price is madness.

However, look at some of the first players that reached a fee of £1 million. That was also madness, Kevin Reeves, Justin Fashanau etc. & the forward City signed who I can't even remember the name of!

Liverpool can afford the £75 million more than clubs could afford the £1 million back then.

In short, nothing changes!
Van dijk 75 million on 09:16 - Dec 28 with 2046 viewsRoller

Van dijk 75 million on 09:10 - Dec 28 by terryb

However, look at some of the first players that reached a fee of £1 million. That was also madness, Kevin Reeves, Justin Fashanau etc. & the forward City signed who I can't even remember the name of!

Liverpool can afford the £75 million more than clubs could afford the £1 million back then.

Did City buy another as well as Kevin Reeves?

(Edit) Ahh, Steve Daley?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2017 9:19]
Van dijk 75 million on 10:00 - Dec 28 with 1997 viewsCheshireR

Well done to Southampton for mugging the scousers for £75M.
Interesting that both Man City and Chelsea dropped their interest as the price tag escalated.
Liverpool fans seem to think that he will be some kind of defensive silver bullet who will return them to Shanklyesque greatness.
I'm sure that Kopites will be just as delighted when Barcelona, Real Madrid or PSG pay similarly ludicrous fees for Courtinho or Salah.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2017 10:10]
Van dijk 75 million on 10:26 - Dec 28 with 1963 viewskingsburyR

I had to turn off Talk Sport this morning as Micky Quinn was talking even more bollox than usual.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Van dijk 75 million on 10:38 - Dec 28 with 1952 viewsterryb

Van dijk 75 million on 09:16 - Dec 28 by Roller

Did City buy another as well as Kevin Reeves?

(Edit) Ahh, Steve Daley?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2017 9:19]

Thanks Roller.

Steve Daley. £1,000 would have been far too much for him!

I rest my case!
Van dijk 75 million on 11:04 - Dec 28 with 1931 viewsderbyhoop

Ridiculous price for a central defender that isn't all that.
Well done Southampton for holding out.

Now, that we have changed our philosophy and are trying to bring in players with significant upside value (Smyth, BOS, Scowen, Goss) and developing young players again, it indicates that we finally have our strategy right.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

Van dijk 75 million on 13:40 - Dec 28 with 1827 viewscharmr

There was a Liverpool fan on the radio from a fanzine or some other organization who was acting like spending 75M was like a badge of honour. He seemed a decent chap alas seemed sideswiped by the premier league juggernaut.
Van dijk 75 million on 13:43 - Dec 28 with 1825 viewscharmr

Van dijk 75 million on 13:40 - Dec 28 by charmr

There was a Liverpool fan on the radio from a fanzine or some other organization who was acting like spending 75M was like a badge of honour. He seemed a decent chap alas seemed sideswiped by the premier league juggernaut.

And what about that idiot at HQ who had that sign saying “We’re richer then you”
Van dijk 75 million on 13:48 - Dec 28 with 1819 viewsrsonist

Van dijk 75 million on 13:43 - Dec 28 by charmr

And what about that idiot at HQ who had that sign saying “We’re richer then you”

Ten years with this avatar and it's never let me down.
Van dijk 75 million on 14:01 - Dec 28 with 1797 viewspaulparker

typical Liverpool, does the scouting only comprise of getting saints players in ?
he is decent and thats about it , they will finnish 4th or 5th regardless of signing him
utter waste of money , id say they are spending the courtinio money hopefully he leaves them in january and we dont have to listen to this fab four bollox

oh and i agree football is gone ive been saying it for years , ive cancelled my sky now
any game i want to watch i will go to the pub the last straw for me is this sky obsession with the "class of 92"

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Van dijk 75 million on 14:19 - Dec 28 with 1770 viewsWeaverQPR

Eventually players will have all the power they will just sign shorter contracts big sign on fees and just move on bosmans every 1 or 2 seasons

@WeavQPR

Van dijk 75 million on 14:37 - Dec 28 with 1750 viewsCamberleyR

Van dijk 75 million on 14:01 - Dec 28 by paulparker

typical Liverpool, does the scouting only comprise of getting saints players in ?
he is decent and thats about it , they will finnish 4th or 5th regardless of signing him
utter waste of money , id say they are spending the courtinio money hopefully he leaves them in january and we dont have to listen to this fab four bollox

oh and i agree football is gone ive been saying it for years , ive cancelled my sky now
any game i want to watch i will go to the pub the last straw for me is this sky obsession with the "class of 92"

"the last straw for me is this sky obsession with the "class of 92"

Well it WAS when football was invented after all.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Van dijk 75 million on 14:39 - Dec 28 with 1744 viewsBoston

Van dijk 75 million on 19:52 - Dec 27 by Benny_the_Ball

Couldn't agree more. When and how will the madness end?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Van dijk 75 million on 15:25 - Dec 28 with 1717 viewskensalriser

Van dijk 75 million on 14:39 - Dec 28 by Boston

Nasty STD?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Van dijk 75 million on 16:57 - Dec 28 with 1670 viewsPinnerPaul

Van dijk 75 million on 08:22 - Dec 28 by Toast_R

How will it ever go "pop" though?
It's this country's religion for a big slice of the population. And like religous traits, people hate and willing to harm other people for who they support, follow their sh@t club unconditionally and base their whole lives around it all. Football will continue as it is imho.

Agree

Similar has been said down the years

Maximum wage abolished

Live football on TV

Bosman

Heysel, Hillsborough and many others

Football has always survived and remained the number one sport.

I remember when England won the RWC and people were saying Rugby would overtake football - yeah right.

As Clive wrote - what football is and the attraction is the history and in my own view the simplicity - you can have a decent game of football as a youngster with just a ball and two mates and a little space - doesn't even have to be grass and in many parts of the world it isn't.

Other sports can't match that simplicity - how the top clubs spend their slice of a huge commercial deal that works - if it didn't Sky/BT AND the rest of the world's broadcasters wouldn't pay - isn't really going to get people turning to cricket/golf/rugby/tennis etc etc etc
Van dijk 75 million on 18:19 - Dec 28 with 1625 viewsessextaxiboy

A match fixing betting scandal will finish it IMO
I have Sky but really now for my boys who live away to get Sky Go .
I only really watch London derbys and games that affect the Rangers
The cheating , diving , free kicks and penaltys for " contact" just get me down .
Van dijk 75 million on 21:50 - Dec 28 with 1570 viewssmegma

Van dijk 75 million on 09:10 - Dec 28 by terryb

In 1995 Alan Sugar berated Spurs fans who were moaning about a lack of signings. He came out with the infamous ' we won't waste millions of pounds on a load of foreign Carlos Kickaballs'. Then went and paid £4 million for Ruel Fox.
Van dijk 75 million on 22:23 - Dec 28 with 1551 viewssuperstan

Van dijk 75 million on 08:22 - Dec 28 by Toast_R

How will it ever go "pop" though?
It's this country's religion for a big slice of the population. And like religous traits, people hate and willing to harm other people for who they support, follow their sh@t club unconditionally and base their whole lives around it all. Football will continue as it is imho.

It may never go Pop but I think people of my age, (a young 58) are losing interest and there are so many distractions for younger folk that it’s not held with the same passion as when I was growing up, I think the way it is going/gone you will have the elitist club with the plastic fans and the rest making up the numbers with dwindling fan bases.
Van dijk 75 million on 23:01 - Dec 28 with 1522 viewsbob566

Van dijk 75 million on 14:37 - Dec 28 by CamberleyR

"the last straw for me is this sky obsession with the "class of 92"

Well it WAS when football was invented after all.

Johnny Giles agrees with you https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/john-giles-this-deliberate-
Van dijk 75 million on 23:58 - Dec 28 with 1477 viewsCamberleyR

Van dijk 75 million on 23:01 - Dec 28 by bob566

Johnny Giles agrees with you https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/john-giles-this-deliberate-

And he is absolutely spot on.

"Jimmy Greaves scored 59 goals in a calendar year in 1962, hardly back at the dawn of time, and he wasn't the best of them"

I thought it strange that no mention was made to Jimmy Greaves and only Dixie Dean when they said Dean was the only other Englishman who had ever scored more in a calendar year when Kane reached 50. I looked back at his record and Greaves scored an absolute shit load in the 61/62 and 62/63 seasons (83 in total + 6 for England in 1962) as John Giles says in his article so deduced he MUST have scored at least 50 in 1962.

This site perpetuates the Premier League hype (Murdoch company so no surprise)
https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/364207/harry-kane-breaks-incredible-90

"And with those two goals, the striker broke an incredible 90-year record — becoming the first Englishman to score 50 goals or more in a single calendar year for both club and country, since Dixie Dean did so back in 1927 for Everton and England."

Well for a start he didn't 'break a record', he wasn't the first Englishman and the year was wrong as it was actually 1928 when Dean scored a phenomenal 85 in a calendar year.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-legend-di
[Post edited 28 Dec 2017 23:59]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Van dijk 75 million on 01:23 - Dec 29 with 1445 viewsjohnhoop

Van dijk 75 million on 16:57 - Dec 28 by PinnerPaul

Agree

Similar has been said down the years

Maximum wage abolished

Live football on TV

Bosman

Heysel, Hillsborough and many others

Football has always survived and remained the number one sport.

I remember when England won the RWC and people were saying Rugby would overtake football - yeah right.

As Clive wrote - what football is and the attraction is the history and in my own view the simplicity - you can have a decent game of football as a youngster with just a ball and two mates and a little space - doesn't even have to be grass and in many parts of the world it isn't.

Other sports can't match that simplicity - how the top clubs spend their slice of a huge commercial deal that works - if it didn't Sky/BT AND the rest of the world's broadcasters wouldn't pay - isn't really going to get people turning to cricket/golf/rugby/tennis etc etc etc

It may well be correct that it is a vain hope that the present football set up will somehow “eat itself” and return in a more palatable form for those of us old enough to remember it the way it used to be. On the point of it being an easy game to play for youngsters with “jumpers for goalposts “ however, I wonder if anyone else has noticed anything similar to me or if I am alone in this. The park in Hillingdon near where I live would almost invariably have a number of groups of kids having their own little kick-about games when I walked over there a few years ago but recently such games have been noticeable only by there absence and the place has been pretty deserted.
Maybe it’s just a local thing or do people think this is a more general trend?
Van dijk 75 million on 02:06 - Dec 29 with 1431 viewsVancouverHoop

Van dijk 75 million on 18:19 - Dec 28 by essextaxiboy

A match fixing betting scandal will finish it IMO
I have Sky but really now for my boys who live away to get Sky Go .
I only really watch London derbys and games that affect the Rangers
The cheating , diving , free kicks and penaltys for " contact" just get me down .

I think a major betting scandal is very likely, but even that won't destroy the the sport. It may, however, provoke a massive backlash followed by a top to bottom reassessment of how it is run – kinda like the Black-Sox scandal did with baseball. If so it would not be a bad thing at all.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2017 2:07]
Van dijk 75 million on 07:03 - Dec 29 with 1388 viewsLowerloftLad

Van dijk 75 million on 02:06 - Dec 29 by VancouverHoop

I think a major betting scandal is very likely, but even that won't destroy the the sport. It may, however, provoke a massive backlash followed by a top to bottom reassessment of how it is run – kinda like the Black-Sox scandal did with baseball. If so it would not be a bad thing at all.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2017 2:07]

Gave up my season ticket few years back towards the end going to games felt more a chore

last home league game was Fulham feb 2016 lost 3-1
Last away game was Preston feb 2017 lost 2 -1

Qpr have been involved in the biggest match fix off all time the city game was beyond obvious

[Post edited 29 Dec 2017 7:07]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024