Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. 23:04 - Jan 14 with 19206 viewsBromleyHoop

https://t.co/8t6fl2kJwp

Hopefully the above link works. It’s from a BBC podcast on Welsh football.

There’s a very interesting insight from Danny Gabbidon about his time at Crystal Palace working under Ian Holloway during his short time as manager there. Listen between. 12.20 and 19.10.

Gabbidon also doesn’t have great things to say about Mark Hughes when they were both at QPR. Listen from 24.10.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2018 23:21]

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 00:33 - Jan 15 with 9890 viewsqprjeff1882

Very interesting that was. And very informative about Holloway and Hughes. Kind of goes with what we see during games with Holloways in game tactics and sub decisions. Also his interviews. A completely erratic man. No wonder things haven't improved under him if that's what he's like during the week. Players mustn't know their ar$es from their elbows. And we've all heard the stories about Hughes and how he never communicated with anyone. No wonder his teams get progressively worse too. Players must give up playing for him. Seems clubs need to do as much if not more checking on a managers background while at clubs than the players.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 0:35]
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 04:08 - Jan 15 with 9808 viewsmylot50years

Thanks I had made my own conclusions about IH from his first spell in charge and this one and his ability to manage my football club thankfully he is not as loud this time round but still very dangerous to any future progress we would hope to make.I think this interview says a great deal about our present playing staff and the performances they are putting in despite his inabilities to coach them and I thank them enormously for that. From previous posts it would appear that LF was against his second spell which is a positive and as it would seem he will survive this season that TF who I have a great deal of time for will reassess the situation and act accordingly in the interest of our club.The importance of the Burton win should be a major factor in us avoiding a repeat of last season's nail biter it was also noticeable even in victory on Sat the chanting in favour of IH although still a small section on the terraces took part was greatly reduced from previous away games so maybe the realisation of his limitations are beginning to be realized and for the future well-being of our club come May we thank IH for his efforts and in the sole interest of QPR we go our separate ways.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 07:16 - Jan 15 with 9703 viewsdaveB

It's nothing we didn't already know from previous anecdotes about Holloway that are both positive and negative and we saw it for ourselves last season when we went from trying to play out from the back to being more direct and then his end of season meltdown. I do think when Holloway settles on a plan and drills it into the players he is a very good manager, he did that at palace in the playoffs and came up with gameplans to win those games and did. He's done the same with us in quite a few games where he has come up with gameplans to beat better teams.

I don't think players come out of that interview too well though, the slightest hint of a change and they know better and just ignore the manager. It didn't do them much good at Palace as the form drifted anyway and when they did listen to him they won the playoffs.

Players often moan that doing the same drills day after day are boring and they would rather a bit of fun but when they get that and some variety they want the boring stuff, not different to fans really always wanting the opposite manager to the one they have.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 07:45 - Jan 15 with 9657 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Good listen Thanks and I am sure many fans can see how this could be taking place at the moment at QPR.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 07:58 - Jan 15 with 9635 viewsnix

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 07:16 - Jan 15 by daveB

It's nothing we didn't already know from previous anecdotes about Holloway that are both positive and negative and we saw it for ourselves last season when we went from trying to play out from the back to being more direct and then his end of season meltdown. I do think when Holloway settles on a plan and drills it into the players he is a very good manager, he did that at palace in the playoffs and came up with gameplans to win those games and did. He's done the same with us in quite a few games where he has come up with gameplans to beat better teams.

I don't think players come out of that interview too well though, the slightest hint of a change and they know better and just ignore the manager. It didn't do them much good at Palace as the form drifted anyway and when they did listen to him they won the playoffs.

Players often moan that doing the same drills day after day are boring and they would rather a bit of fun but when they get that and some variety they want the boring stuff, not different to fans really always wanting the opposite manager to the one they have.

I agree with this. Both the positive and the negatives about Ollie and the points about the players. It’s been pointed out here numerously by Clive that Ollie is at his worst when he tinkers with formations, line ups and playing styles, which is different from occasionally resting players who are knackered (Luongo) or bringing back injured players gradually (like Hall) Would also point out that Gabbidon didn’t play that much under Holloway and was signed by the previous manager. He was also released by Mark Hughes. So I wonder if that coloured his view a bit about the quality of the respective managers.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 08:09 - Jan 15 with 9614 viewsdaveB

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 07:58 - Jan 15 by nix

I agree with this. Both the positive and the negatives about Ollie and the points about the players. It’s been pointed out here numerously by Clive that Ollie is at his worst when he tinkers with formations, line ups and playing styles, which is different from occasionally resting players who are knackered (Luongo) or bringing back injured players gradually (like Hall) Would also point out that Gabbidon didn’t play that much under Holloway and was signed by the previous manager. He was also released by Mark Hughes. So I wonder if that coloured his view a bit about the quality of the respective managers.

It is funny to hear Gabbidon complain about Holloway talking to the team too much and then complaining Hughes never spoke to him. I get that he would want somewhere in between miserable prat and lunatic but shows how easy it is for players to come up with an excuse
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 08:19 - Jan 15 with 9587 viewsconnell10

Gabbidon another bang average player who has thieved a living! I take what he says with a pinch of salt!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:40 - Jan 15 with 9190 viewsWestbourneR

Forget everything this should be top of this message-board. It's absolutely damming.

First off, Gabbidon has no reason at all to make this up, no axe to grind. Everything he says rings true with the detail and specific moments.

I'm afraid it confirms everything we've seen of Holloway from the outside. Totally jumbled thinking, plan changing all the time - no consistency anywhere, least of all with results.

It's why we've been buying wingers and either no playing them or crow-barring them into number 10.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:48 - Jan 15 with 9164 viewsdaveB

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:40 - Jan 15 by WestbourneR

Forget everything this should be top of this message-board. It's absolutely damming.

First off, Gabbidon has no reason at all to make this up, no axe to grind. Everything he says rings true with the detail and specific moments.

I'm afraid it confirms everything we've seen of Holloway from the outside. Totally jumbled thinking, plan changing all the time - no consistency anywhere, least of all with results.

It's why we've been buying wingers and either no playing them or crow-barring them into number 10.

Yeah forget we won and did well at the weekend and are on a decent run at the moment, Holloway upset a Palace player 4 years ago by asking him to pass out from the back rather than lump it.

You may well be right but this is about his time at a different club from several years ago so I'd hope it wouldn't be used as another stick to beat him with on here.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 13:55]
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:50 - Jan 15 with 9155 views2Thomas2Bowles

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:48 - Jan 15 by daveB

Yeah forget we won and did well at the weekend and are on a decent run at the moment, Holloway upset a Palace player 4 years ago by asking him to pass out from the back rather than lump it.

You may well be right but this is about his time at a different club from several years ago so I'd hope it wouldn't be used as another stick to beat him with on here.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 13:55]

The haters are all gushing over it
Oh look...
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 13:56]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:12 - Jan 15 with 9088 viewsBromleyHoop

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 13:50 - Jan 15 by 2Thomas2Bowles

The haters are all gushing over it
Oh look...
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 13:56]

And, it could be said, that the Holloway supporters continue to stick their heads in the sand. Take your pick.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:34 - Jan 15 with 9031 views2Thomas2Bowles

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:12 - Jan 15 by BromleyHoop

And, it could be said, that the Holloway supporters continue to stick their heads in the sand. Take your pick.

Yeah, but you lot keep your heads in the clouds thinking the messiah is about to turn up.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:38 - Jan 15 with 9023 viewsWrightUp5hit___

He's not the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy!
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:43 - Jan 15 with 9004 viewsAntti_Heinola

Not really. I support Holloway but think he has many failings. I think we could get a better manager (but then that's always the case), but we could also do a lot worse. I don't think a single person who broadly supports Holloway thinks he's beyond criticism or, really, believes he's doing any better than a 'B'.
Unfortunately those on the other side don't really have any shades of grey - Westbourne a real case in point, sadly.

Bare bones.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:50 - Jan 15 with 8976 viewsToast_R

Sacking Holliway is the last thing the club needs. I want him to do better but sacking him kind of rips up any work that has been done.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:52 - Jan 15 with 8974 viewsdaveB

Not really, I know the man has faults, any manager we have in the future will also have faults but overall I think he has more positives to offer than negatives for what the club need at this time.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:55 - Jan 15 with 8963 viewsDorse

I don't really see how this makes a difference.

Under Hughes, everyone hated his tactics and he alienated people in the dressing room. With dear old 'Arry, everyone is completely baffled as to what, if any, tactics he employs and the dressing room is still divided into those who'll play because he's worked with them before or they won't because he 'still need 6 or 7'. Then Ramsay, who is given a brief to do one thing and, when the transfers don't happen, the brief gets changed, everyone gets on his case re tactics / muddled thinking and we employ JFH. Who then baffles everyone with his tactics, high press / no press / lump it up to Polter / play Chery etc, he 'loses the dressing room' etc.

And now it's Ollie's turn to get pasted. It is what we do, apparently. He is clearly not the Messiah but I would rather have him than go back to what we've seen in recent years. So Danny Gabbidon, QPR legend that he is who played 17 times for us (40 times less than George Kulcsar!) doesn't like Ollie? Well boo-bloody-hoo. I don't like my last boss either. We give this kind of thing way too much credence. What difference does it make?

This is not good for my calm.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:10 - Jan 15 with 8921 viewsWestbourneR

Hang on the lovers are all dismissing it as rubbish. The guy has been very clear in what he says and it all fits with the problems we've been having. That's the fact.

I notice none of you seem to think what he says about Mark Hughes is rubbish.

I think there are blinkers on here are from the people who want to support Holloway no matter what.

I personally think he's a poor manager and Gabbidon's interview lays out exactly why. If you want to put up an interview laying the opposition then I'll be all ears.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:13 - Jan 15 with 8906 viewsWestbourneR

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:43 - Jan 15 by Antti_Heinola

Not really. I support Holloway but think he has many failings. I think we could get a better manager (but then that's always the case), but we could also do a lot worse. I don't think a single person who broadly supports Holloway thinks he's beyond criticism or, really, believes he's doing any better than a 'B'.
Unfortunately those on the other side don't really have any shades of grey - Westbourne a real case in point, sadly.

Annti I'm sorry I'm such a disappointment you.

I know we could a lot worse than Holloway but I know we could do better. I think he has too many failings.

I'm sorry if I use an ex-player laying out those failings as evidence of his failings. I think that seems perfectly logical and reasonable.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:26 - Jan 15 with 8868 viewsBromleyHoop

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:34 - Jan 15 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Yeah, but you lot keep your heads in the clouds thinking the messiah is about to turn up.

Read my post. Where have I said I’m anti Holloway?

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:27 - Jan 15 with 8865 viewsNov77

none of it surprising. you can tell from ollie's interviews he doesn't think concisley or with much clarity, simple questions are replied to with five minute monologues and rambles with tortured and usually made up metaphors. the latest being about players being mailmen delivering parcels.

always wondered how players managed to glean any clear instruction from his team talks.

managers like Warnock are clear and to the point, 'don't pass to Adel in our half'. 'defenders defend', 'we'll play football in their half of the field'. simple, clear, concise. every player knows their job.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:29 - Jan 15 with 8860 views2Thomas2Bowles

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:10 - Jan 15 by WestbourneR

Hang on the lovers are all dismissing it as rubbish. The guy has been very clear in what he says and it all fits with the problems we've been having. That's the fact.

I notice none of you seem to think what he says about Mark Hughes is rubbish.

I think there are blinkers on here are from the people who want to support Holloway no matter what.

I personally think he's a poor manager and Gabbidon's interview lays out exactly why. If you want to put up an interview laying the opposition then I'll be all ears.

Who cares what he says, if another player then does an interview and says all nice things about Olly should we then take his word as gospel

It's an opinion but doesn't make it the only opinion or even right.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 15:51]

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:54 - Jan 15 with 8787 viewsvegasranger

At best we are treading water with Holloway. Let's hope the results keep positive and we survive the season. We have a few months to plan for a future manager to replace Holloway in the summer. We have to do better.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:58 - Jan 15 with 8776 viewsNorthernr

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:54 - Jan 15 by vegasranger

At best we are treading water with Holloway. Let's hope the results keep positive and we survive the season. We have a few months to plan for a future manager to replace Holloway in the summer. We have to do better.

Treading water while hacking into the wage bill and squad is progress. It needs to be better next season, and the season after, but for now this is fine as long as we do indeed cut the size of the squad and the wage bill.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 16:09 - Jan 15 with 8750 viewsvegasranger

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:58 - Jan 15 by Northernr

Treading water while hacking into the wage bill and squad is progress. It needs to be better next season, and the season after, but for now this is fine as long as we do indeed cut the size of the squad and the wage bill.

Agreed Northern.As you say cutting down the wage bill and squad for next season. Let's hope our new scouting department can find some gems for the summer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024