Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone else miss... 18:30 - Mar 21 with 6666 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

The old scoreboard at the School End and its animation of those bizarrely shaped people celebrating home goals? Baggy shirts. Street parking. Shit scoreboards. Marvellous.
Does anyone else miss... on 19:28 - Mar 21 with 5017 viewsstowmarketrange

It was much better when we had the board around the pitch with letters denoting which game was which.You had to buy a programme to find out who was who.But there was always a late evening news to get the scores from.
Does anyone else miss... on 20:22 - Mar 21 with 4931 viewsStanisgod

Ahh, the perennial problem. Evening News classified or Evening Standard. Always a News man myself.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Does anyone else miss... on 20:25 - Mar 21 with 4928 viewscolinallcars

Does anyone else miss... on 19:28 - Mar 21 by stowmarketrange

It was much better when we had the board around the pitch with letters denoting which game was which.You had to buy a programme to find out who was who.But there was always a late evening news to get the scores from.

I recall a similar system at Brentford only in their case a bloke had to climb up a ladder at half time to hang the various half time scores on hooks labelled A, B etc and as with our system you had to check the programme to see which teams the scores referred to. Not exactly high tech !
Does anyone else miss... on 20:35 - Mar 21 with 4909 viewssmegma

Does anyone else miss... on 20:22 - Mar 21 by Stanisgod

Ahh, the perennial problem. Evening News classified or Evening Standard. Always a News man myself.

No problem when you bought both.
Does anyone else miss... on 20:42 - Mar 21 with 4898 viewscolinallcars

Does anyone else miss... on 20:35 - Mar 21 by smegma

Bloooody yoooongsters.....it was three when I started - News, Star and Standard.
Does anyone else miss... on 20:47 - Mar 21 with 4886 viewsStanisgod

Does anyone else miss... on 20:35 - Mar 21 by smegma

In Willesden you could only afford one or the other

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Does anyone else miss... on 21:03 - Mar 21 with 4862 viewsGloryHunter

Was it the pink Evening News that you could buy outside the ground after the match, that had the half-time scores kind of potato-stamped into a column on the back page? That was all the information you got until you got back to the car radio. Those were the days, kids.
Does anyone else miss... on 21:08 - Mar 21 with 4853 viewsdavman

Does anyone else miss... on 21:03 - Mar 21 by GloryHunter

Was it the pink Evening News that you could buy outside the ground after the match, that had the half-time scores kind of potato-stamped into a column on the back page? That was all the information you got until you got back to the car radio. Those were the days, kids.

What about the old irish fella in the Upper Loft who constantly shouted "shoot" whenever a Rangers player had the ball wherever they were on the pitch?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone else miss... on 21:11 - Mar 21 with 4847 viewsGloryHunter

Does anyone else miss... on 21:08 - Mar 21 by davman

What about the old irish fella in the Upper Loft who constantly shouted "shoot" whenever a Rangers player had the ball wherever they were on the pitch?

I think he had PTSD from his days as an IRA volunteer.
Does anyone else miss... on 21:30 - Mar 21 with 4818 viewsBoston

He the same bloke who, all on his tod, decked a couple of adventurous (was it Spurs fans) and chased a number of others away outside the Loft one day?
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 21:31]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Does anyone else miss... on 22:12 - Mar 21 with 4749 viewsRs_Holy

I miss the air being thick with cigarette smoke and the loud roar that used to go up seconds before kickoff.
I remember the first time I stood in the Paddocks. To be within a few yards of the away fans (Newcastle I think) seemed amazing.
Does anyone else miss... on 22:15 - Mar 21 with 4743 viewsPeterHucker

I loved those little animated people on the scoreboard.
We were really good when we had those and when we used to run out to "Simply the Best"
Bring em back I say.
(not really)
Does anyone else miss... on 22:48 - Mar 21 with 4716 viewscolinallcars

When the Rangers were playing away midweek, one of us would leave the pub, walk across the road to the phone box and ring the sports desk of one of the papers to get the result. The Telegraph was the most obliging and would give you the goalscorers as well.
Does anyone else miss... on 23:38 - Mar 21 with 4651 viewsstowmarketrange

Does anyone else miss... on 22:48 - Mar 21 by colinallcars

When the Rangers were playing away midweek, one of us would leave the pub, walk across the road to the phone box and ring the sports desk of one of the papers to get the result. The Telegraph was the most obliging and would give you the goalscorers as well.

I remember those days well.I used to ring one of the papers up for the scores before I started work at night.
I phoned my dad from Swansea before I got the night ferry to Ireland to find out how we’d got on against partisan Belgrade in the UEFA Cup 2nd leg and I thought he was lying when he said we’d lost 4-0.I had to phone the paper to check.
Does anyone else miss... on 00:50 - Mar 22 with 4608 viewsNov77

“PeeeeeeaNUTS.........Roasted.......peanuts!!!”

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Does anyone else miss... on 00:58 - Mar 22 with 4606 viewsdistortR

Does anyone else miss... on 00:50 - Mar 22 by Nov77

“PeeeeeeaNUTS.........Roasted.......peanuts!!!”

hot chestnuts in winter
Does anyone else miss... on 01:02 - Mar 22 with 4600 viewsBoston

Does anyone else miss... on 23:38 - Mar 21 by stowmarketrange

I remember those days well.I used to ring one of the papers up for the scores before I started work at night.
I phoned my dad from Swansea before I got the night ferry to Ireland to find out how we’d got on against partisan Belgrade in the UEFA Cup 2nd leg and I thought he was lying when he said we’d lost 4-0.I had to phone the paper to check.

Squeeze up tight to the bloke with the radio on the South Africa Rd....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Does anyone else miss... on 09:20 - Mar 22 with 4472 viewspaulparker

I miss walking up to the ground on the day of a game and deciding where I wanted to sit or stand ,
I miss old school stewards who were supporters , god bless them old boys
I miss the dedicated supporters who would sell the programmes
I miss the old programmes with the little pictures of the players on the back
I miss the flying bog roll
I miss the QPR ski hats
I miss parkies on the uxbridge road
I miss standing
I miss gary bannister, john Byrne, Macca , terry fenwick , paul parker ,Butch Wilkins , even trevor Francis
I miss the 1983/84 kit
I miss us beating Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, west ham on a regular basis
I miss Kenny dagleish and john hollins complaining because we stuffed them on the plastic pitch
I miss the buzz that football used to give me

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Does anyone else miss... on 10:25 - Mar 22 with 4384 viewsDWQPR

Does anyone else miss... on 09:20 - Mar 22 by paulparker

I miss walking up to the ground on the day of a game and deciding where I wanted to sit or stand ,
I miss old school stewards who were supporters , god bless them old boys
I miss the dedicated supporters who would sell the programmes
I miss the old programmes with the little pictures of the players on the back
I miss the flying bog roll
I miss the QPR ski hats
I miss parkies on the uxbridge road
I miss standing
I miss gary bannister, john Byrne, Macca , terry fenwick , paul parker ,Butch Wilkins , even trevor Francis
I miss the 1983/84 kit
I miss us beating Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, west ham on a regular basis
I miss Kenny dagleish and john hollins complaining because we stuffed them on the plastic pitch
I miss the buzz that football used to give me

And silk scarves tied around the wrist!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Does anyone else miss... on 11:18 - Mar 22 with 4335 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Does anyone else miss... on 01:02 - Mar 22 by Boston

When we beat Coventry away to go top of the League in 92', the car park we were in was full of Rangers. Someone had a tape of this and put it on over and over and everyone was dancing. It was odd, but great craic.

It was 'round that time that one of the lads started taping false full-time scores. He'd do James Alexander Gordon's voice, have the music as the intro and everything. The fake scores would always be really high in case one of the games was 3-0 at half-time. The Rangers fans would be in on it but he'd try to catch the oppo fans:-

"Man Utd 3 .....Southampton 5"
"Fuggin' ell! That was 3-0 at half-time"
"Liverpool 2 Wimbledon 5"
"Christ!!!"

I used to imagine them opening their Sunday paper the following morning, reading the actual results, followed by re-reading, followed by re-reading, multiple trips to the teletext..."

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Does anyone else miss... on 11:26 - Mar 22 with 4326 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I was reminicing (sp) with someone on saturday about 'Smelly beardy singing man' not really something...I miss but warmly nostalgic.

He smelled so bad I can still remember the year and the game I stood next to nim

[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 11:29]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Does anyone else miss... on 11:26 - Mar 22 with 4324 viewsNorthernr

Even just 20 years ago if we left early to make our train and had to run for it at Kings Cross (no time to use a payphone to call home) we didn't know the final QPR score until I got the Green Un sports paper at Doncaster station. Remember going all the way home thinking we'd beaten man City 2-1 only to find Kinkladze had equalised on 90.
Does anyone else miss... on 11:51 - Mar 22 with 4291 viewspaulparker

Does anyone else miss... on 11:26 - Mar 22 by Metallica_Hoop

I was reminicing (sp) with someone on saturday about 'Smelly beardy singing man' not really something...I miss but warmly nostalgic.

He smelled so bad I can still remember the year and the game I stood next to nim

[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 11:29]

the loftus road tramp , I remember him , he used to stand at the front of the loft and smelt of p1ss and skol larger, he used to wear a brown long coat , you didn't want to be 10 yards of him
il never forget the sight of him trying clamber over the hoardings the day everyone ran on the pitch to protest against City , im surprised everyone didn't run back to their seats when he came ambling over

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Does anyone else miss... on 11:54 - Mar 22 with 4283 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Does anyone else miss... on 11:51 - Mar 22 by paulparker

the loftus road tramp , I remember him , he used to stand at the front of the loft and smelt of p1ss and skol larger, he used to wear a brown long coat , you didn't want to be 10 yards of him
il never forget the sight of him trying clamber over the hoardings the day everyone ran on the pitch to protest against City , im surprised everyone didn't run back to their seats when he came ambling over

The The Man City game I was at with him it was hot and he wasnt wearing the coat....

Different City game to the one you mention.

[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 11:56]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Does anyone else miss... on 12:11 - Mar 22 with 4247 viewsSpanishranger

Does anyone else miss... on 01:02 - Mar 22 by Boston

Sports report...........what a lot of memories that song evokes
Remember the coach back from away trips when everyone went quiet once that music started.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024