Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grant Hall 17:37 - Sep 3 with 13386 viewsdavman

Face it, he isn't on the comeback trail, is he? Surely if he were, he would have been given 90 minutes for the U23s today to prove he can last a game? This seems to be the longest, staggered comeback in the history of sport. A full pre-season and, what, 60 minutes since?

Not holding my breath on that one...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Grant Hall on 15:24 - Sep 4 with 2636 viewsCFW

Grant Hall on 13:21 - Sep 4 by BrianMcCarthy

I find I'm more optimistic about many things than many people on here at the moment, but that's the mood swings of any bunch of fans. We could swap places in a short space of time.

I'm optimistic about our financial running, about our underage teams, about our scouting, recruitment and the introduction of youth.

The two disappointments so far this season have been the loaning out of Manning and the 1-7 and 0-3.

All in all, I'm happy enough, and I still find myself happy enough with McClaren. Last time he was here he did great work, now he has Penrice and Ferdinand helping him and no sign of Redknapp, so there's no reason to think that he won't do a good job now that the squad has a bit more experience and leadership, or that he won't at least be better than many bosses at this level.

There is nothing wrong in being optimistic and I share your views on many things. My worry is as a Championship (and have been a Premiership) team we must have access to doctors etc who have a vast amount of experience and expertise in the treatment of footballers.

Hall has been out of the game for so long now I am not sure this will end well for him or QPR. I would be pessimistic and say I doubt if he will play more than 6 matches for us this season. I add though I would be very happy to be wrong as clearly he is a gifted player who would make a big difference to our side.

I am now going to be optimistic and say we will be ok this season and things will continue to improve.
Grant Hall on 15:27 - Sep 4 with 2629 viewskensalriser

Grant Hall on 09:09 - Sep 4 by BrianMcCarthy

He played last week, as planned, and played for an hour, also as planned.

It's a serious injury but I don't see the need for wholesale panic right at the time that his recovery seems to be on track.

OK but what should we panic about? Don't take our panic and worry away, it's all we have left.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Grant Hall on 15:43 - Sep 4 with 2596 viewsEsox_Lucius

Grant Hall on 15:27 - Sep 4 by kensalriser

OK but what should we panic about? Don't take our panic and worry away, it's all we have left.

Brexit & TTIP? That scares the sh!t out of me.

The grass is always greener.

Grant Hall on 16:41 - Sep 4 with 2509 viewsisawqpratwcity

Grant Hall on 13:21 - Sep 4 by BrianMcCarthy

I find I'm more optimistic about many things than many people on here at the moment, but that's the mood swings of any bunch of fans. We could swap places in a short space of time.

I'm optimistic about our financial running, about our underage teams, about our scouting, recruitment and the introduction of youth.

The two disappointments so far this season have been the loaning out of Manning and the 1-7 and 0-3.

All in all, I'm happy enough, and I still find myself happy enough with McClaren. Last time he was here he did great work, now he has Penrice and Ferdinand helping him and no sign of Redknapp, so there's no reason to think that he won't do a good job now that the squad has a bit more experience and leadership, or that he won't at least be better than many bosses at this level.

At this stage I'm not losing much sleep over McClaren, either. If recent form is a guide to his future performance, then those bad results will mean nothing. On the other hand, if he reverts, well, draw the line under his tenure and see if someone else can save the season. I was getting rather bothered about the idea of sacking a bloke after just five league games, though. One thing about his previous time with us: we were a better side when he was with us and got worse after he left, but I never saw a causal connection myself. I don't know if it was his influence, or just coincidence. [shrug]

Hall's absence does worry me, though, it's been a while. Ah, well, all in good time!
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 16:51]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Grant Hall on 17:04 - Sep 4 with 2462 viewsPinnerPaul

Grant Hall on 20:02 - Sep 3 by Tonto

Is there any evidence behind this thread or just speculation and anecdotal theories?

My info comes from interview he gave offy that I watched myself - good enough?
Grant Hall on 17:30 - Sep 4 with 2408 viewsdavman

Grant Hall on 17:04 - Sep 4 by PinnerPaul

My info comes from interview he gave offy that I watched myself - good enough?

No evidence to support the original post, but then again I never said it was anything other than an open questions .

I want him back, I think we need him back, but that isn't going happen without game time and the U23 games give him the chance to do that. I was simply surprised that he wasn't involved, even if it were just 30-45 minutes.

As I said in the OP, I am not aware of a comeback this slow and am concerned on that basis.

I hope he is alright and is back, fighting fit after the International break...

Can we go out yet?

Grant Hall on 20:33 - Sep 4 with 2274 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I've never understood the obsessions with evidencing every comment. This is a message board, not a court room. Besides the man has been plagued with injury and attempted more comebacks than the Spice Girls. Even without firm evidence of the injury it's not unreasonable to question whether he'll return to action any time soon.
Grant Hall on 20:37 - Sep 4 with 2270 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Grant Hall on 20:33 - Sep 4 by Benny_the_Ball

I've never understood the obsessions with evidencing every comment. This is a message board, not a court room. Besides the man has been plagued with injury and attempted more comebacks than the Spice Girls. Even without firm evidence of the injury it's not unreasonable to question whether he'll return to action any time soon.

I don't think evidencing every comment is required at all but bold statements might need backing up a bit sometimes don't they?
Login to get fewer ads

Grant Hall on 21:19 - Sep 4 with 2224 viewshubble

He's crocked. Next.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Grant Hall on 21:30 - Sep 4 with 2216 viewsGroveR

Grant Hall on 16:41 - Sep 4 by isawqpratwcity

At this stage I'm not losing much sleep over McClaren, either. If recent form is a guide to his future performance, then those bad results will mean nothing. On the other hand, if he reverts, well, draw the line under his tenure and see if someone else can save the season. I was getting rather bothered about the idea of sacking a bloke after just five league games, though. One thing about his previous time with us: we were a better side when he was with us and got worse after he left, but I never saw a causal connection myself. I don't know if it was his influence, or just coincidence. [shrug]

Hall's absence does worry me, though, it's been a while. Ah, well, all in good time!
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 16:51]

We had a pretty decent - and settled - squad until he left for Derby in September. After that, 'Arry thought he'd need one or two more triffic lads, propah plawyers and bought in (deep breath)

The boy Javier
The boy Oguchi
Yossi, great player Yossi, known him for years
The Scottish lad Donaldson
Aaron Hughes, bags of experience that boy
Benny Assou-Ekotto, triffic engine
Dellatore, great pals with the boy Sandro, beast that one if we get him fit
Little Tom Carroll, bags of potential the boy
Doyley, top, top striker
The boy Niko, never let me down
The boy Ravel, just needs an arm around the shoulders and he'll be top top class
Modibo Maïga, can't play but a lovely lad

Small wonder it all went to shìt.
Grant Hall on 06:53 - Sep 5 with 2053 viewsisawqpratwcity

Grant Hall on 21:30 - Sep 4 by GroveR

We had a pretty decent - and settled - squad until he left for Derby in September. After that, 'Arry thought he'd need one or two more triffic lads, propah plawyers and bought in (deep breath)

The boy Javier
The boy Oguchi
Yossi, great player Yossi, known him for years
The Scottish lad Donaldson
Aaron Hughes, bags of experience that boy
Benny Assou-Ekotto, triffic engine
Dellatore, great pals with the boy Sandro, beast that one if we get him fit
Little Tom Carroll, bags of potential the boy
Doyley, top, top striker
The boy Niko, never let me down
The boy Ravel, just needs an arm around the shoulders and he'll be top top class
Modibo Maïga, can't play but a lovely lad

Small wonder it all went to shìt.

Are you saying that he tempered Harry's wilder notions on signings? Nah, Harry's signings generally appeared to be based on considerations more 'tangible' than simple merit; why would he be listening to McClaren at all?
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 7:42]

Grant Hall on 08:51 - Sep 5 with 1957 viewsGroveR

Grant Hall on 06:53 - Sep 5 by isawqpratwcity

Are you saying that he tempered Harry's wilder notions on signings? Nah, Harry's signings generally appeared to be based on considerations more 'tangible' than simple merit; why would he be listening to McClaren at all?
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 7:42]

Not at all, Redknappnomics dictates that when something isn't going right or even when it is, getting another couple in is the answer. McLaren couldn't have changed that had he stayed.

The problem was the team looked settled, like everyone knew their jobs and were comfortable doing them and actually enjoyed playing together before McLaren left. Injuries to Simpson and crucially Charlie Austin around Christmas gave Harry carte blanche to do something as natural to him as flinging shìt is for a monkey.

Assou-Ekotto as cover for Simpson doesn't look like a bad signing until you realise the bloke is a weapons-grade tool who'd rather fight his teammates than fight for them. As for the striker deals, well fùcking god give me strength. Look at any Redknapp squad (even Spurs, the successful one) and there's a very subtle and constantly shifting line between "his" players and the others.

I'm not saying McLaren is some kind of coaching messiah but perhaps having him taking training unified the squad.
Grant Hall on 09:56 - Sep 5 with 1903 viewsderbyhoop

Perhaps Hall didn't play for the U23s this week, because he is fit enough to train with the first team and it wasn't considered necessary.
If he's considered a defensive midfielder we already have Scowen and Cameron.
If he's a centre back, he has to displace Leistner, Lynch or Baptiste.

You'd think the latter. But, the big IF, is that he has to be fit enough to last 90 minutes.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Grant Hall on 12:29 - Sep 5 with 1787 viewsrsonist

Grant Hall on 21:09 - Sep 3 by Hunterhoop

I have patella tendonitus. It’s a right pain in the backside. Had it since I was 21. If you rest up it lessens, but soon as you’re back active it flares up. For some people it never goes away. For others it does. But usually either changing your gait or increasing muscle strength in your leg helps. Doing the latter is tough with the injury mind!!

My theory on Hall is that he may be in th unlikely category and it never goes. My concern with Hall though is that he’s not willing to play through it. You can, with some painkillers, if you want to. It’s obviously not good for your knees long term, and doing so decreases your chances of going completely because you’re never resting them. But after so long out there is a decision he and the club need to make.

I don’t know the bloke, but I do worry, if patella tendonitus is all it is (which i’m sure the original reports said), that he’s just not really up for it and happy to collect his payslip. This is a bloke who is good mates with JET lest we forget and spent some of his time out injured partying with him in Dubai, if I remember correctly.

Be great if that’s not the case and he comes back fighting fit, but beginning to doubt it’ll ever happen. I’m sure there are some players who play through it and then there’s Owen Hargreaves who gave up over it.

Great support.
Grant Hall on 13:34 - Sep 5 with 1703 viewsHunterhoop

Grant Hall on 12:29 - Sep 5 by rsonist

Great support.

Err... “be great if he came back”. I’ll add: I want him to, and will support him and the team 100% if he does.

I just have my doubts, after so long, for all the reasons outlined.

Happily be proved wrong. Will always support the team.

Good enough?
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 13:34]
Grant Hall on 15:15 - Sep 5 with 1646 viewsqprrunner

Grant Hall on 23:44 - Sep 3 by Hunterhoop

Yes, for an hour and then nowhere, which leads me to believe it might have caused it to flare up. The same thing happened last year. Reemerged. Got some game time (U23s and possibly League Cup, not sure on the latter though) then he disappeared again as it flared up. Hopefully that isn’t what’s happened this time. But to build “match fitness”, you’d think he’d need to be playing in the U23 matches!

I’ve also got patella tendanapothy and agree that it’s a massive pain in the arse day to day as well as to treat, the rehab is incredibly boring and time consuming (my physio has given me a programme to do 3 times a day 5 times per week which if done correctly is taking 10 hours out of my week).

The difference between Grant Hall and myself is I am a student and he’s a professional footballer. His profession is to look after his body and although difficult to treat (you must strengthen the muscles around the knee without putting any stress on the tendons in the knee - so without squatting, lunging, leg extension etc) it is possible with dedication and the right knowledge.

For me he is just picking up a wage, the “modern footballers” mentality is different to even 8 years ago. The Ledley Kings are long gone.

You are completely right in saying you have to build your fitness up, meaning that he has to get used to playing in a certain amount of pain, which I am not sure he is prepared to do.
Grant Hall on 15:33 - Sep 5 with 1602 viewsEsox_Lucius

Grant Hall on 15:15 - Sep 5 by qprrunner

I’ve also got patella tendanapothy and agree that it’s a massive pain in the arse day to day as well as to treat, the rehab is incredibly boring and time consuming (my physio has given me a programme to do 3 times a day 5 times per week which if done correctly is taking 10 hours out of my week).

The difference between Grant Hall and myself is I am a student and he’s a professional footballer. His profession is to look after his body and although difficult to treat (you must strengthen the muscles around the knee without putting any stress on the tendons in the knee - so without squatting, lunging, leg extension etc) it is possible with dedication and the right knowledge.

For me he is just picking up a wage, the “modern footballers” mentality is different to even 8 years ago. The Ledley Kings are long gone.

You are completely right in saying you have to build your fitness up, meaning that he has to get used to playing in a certain amount of pain, which I am not sure he is prepared to do.

What a crock. You outline just how difficult it is to rehabilitate his injury then accuse him of just picking up a wage because his profession is to look after his body. No it it isn't, it is to play football at a very high standard and to rely upon his employers to supply the best medical treatment they can for any injuries sustained whilst fulfilling that part.
Perhaps you could also outline what is an acceptable amount of pain to be in too whilst carrying out his role in a team; enough that he can't walk properly for a few days after a game and jeopardising his ability to walk after his career is over?
As an amateur I played in pain and used to take Ibuprofen before and during games to get me through the 90+ minutes which has now left me with a gastric infalmmation problem. What did that get me? a displaced patella and osteo arthritis in my left knee, and L4-L5 back injury that has me immobile for days at a time on occasions and needs constant exercise and flexibility work to stop it seizing up and I still can't do many ordinary gardening jobs as I seize up. I have Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot which was aggravated by playing with an ankle injury and a groin strain which I carried on playing for weeks before throwing the towel in and resting it means I have severely limited adductor and hip flexor mobility. I really wish I could have my time over again because I sure as sh!t wouldn't play whilst injured no matter what the incentive. Look how many old school footballers ended up crippled or unable to walk after "shots in the knees" just to get them on the pitch.
I wish Grant a full recovery but if it isn't to be I won't be slagging him off for giving up.

Grant Hall on 15:39 - Sep 5 with 1586 viewsisawqpratwcity

Anyone know when his contract expires?

Grant Hall on 16:30 - Sep 5 with 1519 viewsEsox_Lucius

Grant Hall on 15:39 - Sep 5 by isawqpratwcity

Anyone know when his contract expires?

Lee Hoos?

Grant Hall on 16:50 - Sep 5 with 1488 viewsrsonist

Grant Hall on 13:34 - Sep 5 by Hunterhoop

Err... “be great if he came back”. I’ll add: I want him to, and will support him and the team 100% if he does.

I just have my doubts, after so long, for all the reasons outlined.

Happily be proved wrong. Will always support the team.

Good enough?
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 13:34]

Sorry, I just think it's a bit much to casually speculate on his commitment because he's "good mates with JET lest we forget" and had the cheek to have a good time in Dubai once. The bloke might as easily be in bits every day for all we know, which is nothing.
Grant Hall on 17:40 - Sep 5 with 1409 viewsHarbour

I think he is desperate to play again gone through all sorts already including the operation. I really hope he gets fit and returns to the first team as is an excellent player. If he does not make a full recovery it will certainly not be for the want of trying. Good luck Grant.
Grant Hall on 18:14 - Sep 5 with 1338 viewsPunteR

Grant Hall on 15:33 - Sep 5 by Esox_Lucius

What a crock. You outline just how difficult it is to rehabilitate his injury then accuse him of just picking up a wage because his profession is to look after his body. No it it isn't, it is to play football at a very high standard and to rely upon his employers to supply the best medical treatment they can for any injuries sustained whilst fulfilling that part.
Perhaps you could also outline what is an acceptable amount of pain to be in too whilst carrying out his role in a team; enough that he can't walk properly for a few days after a game and jeopardising his ability to walk after his career is over?
As an amateur I played in pain and used to take Ibuprofen before and during games to get me through the 90+ minutes which has now left me with a gastric infalmmation problem. What did that get me? a displaced patella and osteo arthritis in my left knee, and L4-L5 back injury that has me immobile for days at a time on occasions and needs constant exercise and flexibility work to stop it seizing up and I still can't do many ordinary gardening jobs as I seize up. I have Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot which was aggravated by playing with an ankle injury and a groin strain which I carried on playing for weeks before throwing the towel in and resting it means I have severely limited adductor and hip flexor mobility. I really wish I could have my time over again because I sure as sh!t wouldn't play whilst injured no matter what the incentive. Look how many old school footballers ended up crippled or unable to walk after "shots in the knees" just to get them on the pitch.
I wish Grant a full recovery but if it isn't to be I won't be slagging him off for giving up.

Amateur.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Grant Hall on 19:32 - Sep 5 with 1262 viewsEsox_Lucius

?

Grant Hall on 21:03 - Sep 5 with 1176 viewsHunterhoop

Grant Hall on 15:33 - Sep 5 by Esox_Lucius

Devil’s advocat, what about £12k a week to play through that pain for 2 years?

And let’s be clear, it is easier to rehabilitate as a professionsl athlete than an amateur with another job. His post wasn’t outrageous in the way you make out.

We all want him back fit. But concerns over his desire are warranted given others hav done it. Doesn’t mean they’re fair in this scenario, but they are allowed to be raised. If this injury and situation had befallen unpopular players, would you or others hold the same view?
Grant Hall on 21:06 - Sep 5 with 1171 viewsdavman

Grant Hall on 21:19 - Sep 4 by hubble

He's crocked. Next.

Yo, Croydon Jack, this statement is slightly bolder than mine, isn't it?

Can we go out yet?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024