Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong 17:01 - Oct 22 with 8170 viewsDando

One thing I have found very refreshing so far this season, is having a manager in charge who although makes some mistakes - is quick to put them right.

It has felt in the past, that many managers we've had have been extremely stubborn with their tactics and team selections etc and just stick at it to try and prove others wrong, or maybe they simply don't know any other way. Examples such as picking favorites every week despite poor performances etc

- Passing at the back, from the keeper. This clearly killed the confidence of our defence at the time (incl Ingram) and was not suited to the side. Finally abandoned this, after pretty much admitting this wasnt suited to us yet

- Change of keeper. Was clear to most of us that Lumley should be given a go, but not sure all managers would have had the bottle to do so. A great move

- Going from leaking goals for fun, to making it more "boring" but solid against Birmingham for example.

- Taking those "boring" wins, and now slowly getting us to protect the lead but play better football in the process.

- Going back to 4-5-1 - realising that one of the front 2 need to be sacrificed to get the best out the side.

- Bringing Pav/width into the side. Ok, its only the Ipswich game this has really happened so far but lets hope this is also the start of a more adventurous attacking lineup.

- Overall, so glad the wrongs have been put right. Ok its disappointing that Smyth, Manning, Samuel etc have not had as many chances as we would like, but lets hope they might be the next ones on the list of improvements that McClaren is slowly bringing to the side

Feeling positive!
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 09:21 - Oct 23 with 2758 viewsHunterhoop

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 09:11 - Oct 23 by francisbowles

Chris Ramsey is working with the first team as well as his youth development role.

Indeed.

McClaren certainly deserves credit for the upturn. I wanted him gone after City because we looked so far from acceptable I couldn’t see how it would turnaround in time. But, fair play to him; it has.

But you are right, our upturn does correlate with Ramsey back in the first team coaching fold.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 09:26 - Oct 23 with 2756 viewsE17hoop

Wednesday will be a proper challenge tonight and, although I hate to say it, think we will lose. A little consistency doesn't make us consistent and a defeat tonight will soon see the fanbase lurch again.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 09:56 - Oct 23 with 2706 viewsozexile

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 09:21 - Oct 23 by Hunterhoop

Indeed.

McClaren certainly deserves credit for the upturn. I wanted him gone after City because we looked so far from acceptable I couldn’t see how it would turnaround in time. But, fair play to him; it has.

But you are right, our upturn does correlate with Ramsey back in the first team coaching fold.

I have no first hand knowledge but looking in as an outsider Ramsey has done a fantastic job for us. Young players coming through, u23's winning most games.
Well done that man.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 10:17 - Oct 23 with 2680 viewsrsonist

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 23:05 - Oct 22 by californiahoop

Fans booing him after a couple of games may also be part of his stance, let’s be honest, the man is a top coach and really shouldn’t be with us, deep down, he must feel the same.

The problem will be if, we continue to improve and climb the table, someone will come knocking, this man has won a title in one of the worlds major leagues, he can rebuild his reputation here, it’s the perfect situation for him!

Not so sure myself, think he would really have to do something special if not miraculous with us to wipe the slate clean now. He was fortunate to get the Newcastle and second Derby gigs in the first place.More likely other clubs would hoover up every one of our players down to Bassong before they went for Steve.

I would be more worried if any of his staff were to depart eventually and left him exposed - Eustace left a head role (albeit non-league) to be our assistant and IIRC McClaren's mentioned a couple of times the hours he and Gardiner put into drilling the backline and set plays. (Not to say McClaren isn't having an input himself, delegation is a key aspect of every good manager).

It's quite possible the general line about McClaren being a good guy good coach but not a manager (most recently repeated by Janmaat at Watford who played for him at Newcastle) is why he's now presenting himself as less approachable and more authoritative or whatever.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 10:23 - Oct 23 with 2671 viewsrsonist

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 09:26 - Oct 23 by E17hoop

Wednesday will be a proper challenge tonight and, although I hate to say it, think we will lose. A little consistency doesn't make us consistent and a defeat tonight will soon see the fanbase lurch again.

I don't think they're much cop to be honest, they don't create much and Reach has wildly distorted their numbers. As with 90% of this division they're there to be got at and if we lose we'll have beat ourselves more than vice versa.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 12:07 - Oct 23 with 2540 viewscaliforniahoop

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 10:17 - Oct 23 by rsonist

Not so sure myself, think he would really have to do something special if not miraculous with us to wipe the slate clean now. He was fortunate to get the Newcastle and second Derby gigs in the first place.More likely other clubs would hoover up every one of our players down to Bassong before they went for Steve.

I would be more worried if any of his staff were to depart eventually and left him exposed - Eustace left a head role (albeit non-league) to be our assistant and IIRC McClaren's mentioned a couple of times the hours he and Gardiner put into drilling the backline and set plays. (Not to say McClaren isn't having an input himself, delegation is a key aspect of every good manager).

It's quite possible the general line about McClaren being a good guy good coach but not a manager (most recently repeated by Janmaat at Watford who played for him at Newcastle) is why he's now presenting himself as less approachable and more authoritative or whatever.

Yeah I hear that, I am hoping he has learnt from his mistakes and we benefit.

I think one of the other things he did to much of was sit in the stands too long during games, you need to see the mannsger on the bench, directing operations and being animated, it seems like he has made that adjustment.

Additionally, he is a coach, all the other stuff is dealt with by Les and Hoos , that frees him up, I believe this is the perfect setup for his skillset.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 12:53 - Oct 23 with 2490 viewsPinnerPaul

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 17:08 - Oct 22 by Northernr

Agree with all of that, plus strong admiration to come back from that August. He felt like a dead man after Bristol City and maybe if we'd lost to Wigan (when we could easily have done so) he would have been, but it's some recovery.

I do think we've had a kind run of games though. The only side we've played that know what they're doing is Swansea and they took us apart. Interesting to see what happens in the next three.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Not sure the form lines are very strong in this div though.

Given the 'only side that knew what they were doing' were then beaten by 'the worst team we have played' is an indication of that!
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 14:02 - Oct 23 with 2424 viewsW7Ranger

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 21:18 - Oct 22 by stevec

Takes the stick when we fail, lets players take plaudits when it goes well.

Quite commendable in my opinion.

Apart from Blackpool away.
Login to get fewer ads

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 15:24 - Oct 23 with 2364 viewsizlingtonhoop

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 12:53 - Oct 23 by PinnerPaul

Not sure the form lines are very strong in this div though.

Given the 'only side that knew what they were doing' were then beaten by 'the worst team we have played' is an indication of that!

Spot on.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 15:50 - Oct 23 with 2335 viewsPinnerPaul

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 15:24 - Oct 23 by izlingtonhoop

Spot on.

Thanks - Just to add, although on a decent run of form (as are we), they are only 2 pts ahead of us.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 22:40 - Oct 23 with 2192 viewsE17hoop

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 09:26 - Oct 23 by E17hoop

More than happy to admit I was wrong about this one. We were excellent.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 23:14 - Oct 23 with 2104 viewsingeminate

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 22:40 - Oct 23 by E17hoop

More than happy to admit I was wrong about this one. We were excellent.

When it was going really badly I laid in to McClaren since then I’ve been quiet waiting for him to go back to being shit. He hasn’t and it’s about time to give credit where it’s due - and to be fair admit I was wrong in wanting him out when I did.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 23:26 - Oct 23 with 2074 viewsLongsufferingR

Also nice to see the number of us giving credit where it's due for turning things around. This hasn't just been an improvement, it's a phenomenal difference.

Please note that since the first four games, we've gone W6-D2-L2. That's automatic promotion form.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 23:57 - Oct 23 with 2043 viewsCiderwithRsie

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 23:05 - Oct 22 by californiahoop

Fans booing him after a couple of games may also be part of his stance, let’s be honest, the man is a top coach and really shouldn’t be with us, deep down, he must feel the same.

The problem will be if, we continue to improve and climb the table, someone will come knocking, this man has won a title in one of the worlds major leagues, he can rebuild his reputation here, it’s the perfect situation for him!

Just seen this, and can only say that if anyone tries to poach our coach - any coach - that will show that we've made a massive step forward as a club.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 03:48 - Oct 24 with 1952 viewstimcocking

Have to give him credit.

I'd have rated his job a month ago at about a D-, can't really see anything he could have done worse. We were dead in the water.

Remarkable to read all these positive threads, it's as if we're in an alternate universe suddenly. I just wouldn't have thought it possible. And he's done it playing four attackers in every match. That takes guts. Almost all other managers would have tried to shut up shop but Stevie Mac only knows how to attack in true QPR style. He was 1-2 games from the sack and i imagine nobody liked him. Well done Steve.

And Joe Lumley - i fcuking love Joe Lumley. He's the world's coolest goalkeeper so far. I cannot express my approval enough. Unbelievable to think we might have a homegrown keeper i like more than Alex Smithies. I don't yet, but i might soon if he doesn't let a goal in.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 06:04 - Oct 24 with 1893 viewsVancouverHoop

It's so refreshing to see a team without a raft of changes game-to-game.

Three matches in six days would have had most other managers we've had in the past decade juggling the squad to keep them "fresh." For McClaren it's old-school simple. You play well, we win, you stay on the pitch. Isn't that what most footballers want? Isn't that their biggest reward? "Hey, I get to go again in a couple of days. Cool!" It shows confidence and respect. Which, when you get down to it is all anyone wants in any job.

And a decent pay cheque of course.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 06:25 - Oct 24 with 1870 viewsjonno

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 06:04 - Oct 24 by VancouverHoop

It's so refreshing to see a team without a raft of changes game-to-game.

Three matches in six days would have had most other managers we've had in the past decade juggling the squad to keep them "fresh." For McClaren it's old-school simple. You play well, we win, you stay on the pitch. Isn't that what most footballers want? Isn't that their biggest reward? "Hey, I get to go again in a couple of days. Cool!" It shows confidence and respect. Which, when you get down to it is all anyone wants in any job.

And a decent pay cheque of course.

Agreed - I think that is a big part of our improvement and our consistency.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 07:20 - Oct 24 with 1798 viewsCamberleyR

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 23:26 - Oct 23 by LongsufferingR

Also nice to see the number of us giving credit where it's due for turning things around. This hasn't just been an improvement, it's a phenomenal difference.

Please note that since the first four games, we've gone W6-D2-L2. That's automatic promotion form.

Yep. If the season had started at the Wigan game, we'd currently be second to Sheff U only on goal difference.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB2?saison_id=

The guy on the red button commentary, obviously before he knew the result said if the season had started on August 23rd we'd be third.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 18:54 - Oct 24 with 1640 viewsVancouverHoop

Watching his post-game interviews is interesting. Not because he's an entertaining, controversial, or even lively speaker but because it's very clear he really watches his players closely. He was not as over the moon over last night's match as most of us. He thought we weren't particularly good at times, especially in the first half. Didn't get close enough to opposition players, "A little sticky, a little slow" and weren't quite ready for the early onslaught after the break. Having said that you could tell he was genuinely happy Wells got a goal. Not just for Wells himself, but because the rest of the players wanted it for him too.

He obviously plans by the week. After the Ipswich win he was thinking, on to Tuesday, now it's on to Friday. We'll get excited after that. He also rarely if ever mentions the other team. It's not disrespect, just that he's not their manager.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 19:11 - Oct 24 with 1621 viewsthemodfather

well what a dramatic turn around from the thrashing at west brom to a team in form, keeping some clean sheets, scoring and playing well.....
well done steve and the team, also the boardroom for making changes asap and bringing in the loanees.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 21:22 - Oct 24 with 1530 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 22:31 - Oct 25 with 1309 viewsAgedR

Said it elsewhere, couldn’t see what McLaren brought that Ollie didn’t didn’t.

I do now.

Which is probably why I coach U16s and he earns my mortgage every month.

Sometimes it’s good to admit you’re wrong.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024