Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Young Parisians Are So French 18:38 - Apr 15 with 10837 viewsBoston

...sad to say Notre Dame Cathedral is burning in what looks like a very serious fire.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Young Parisians Are So French on 19:49 - Apr 16 with 1841 viewsKonk

Young Parisians Are So French on 19:39 - Apr 16 by ericgen34

I get all the 'it's just a building' or the 'it's just a church stuff. I do, and am also an atheist, actively involved in humanitarian stuff, anti war, disgusted by the destruction of beautiful Yemen by (among others) French bombs, Grenfell, and all the other tragedies that get thrown at us every year. Of course I get it all.

But Notre Dame, for feck sake! For us it is much more than just a building, it's sort of the heart of the country. It's the point 0 of all roads in France, it is the first thing you visit when you go to Paris the first time, and when you visit it and think it is 900 years old, it is awe inspiring. That fire saddened me far more than I expected it would. It was so unthinkable, notre dame was always there, had been for nearly 900 years and expected to last longer than Paris itself. Whenever I go to Paris I always make sure I have a walk near it. At one point they said they werent sure to save it and it was absolutely heartbreaking!

I can absolutely relate to that, mate. Most posters on here are Londoners and if we were to lose The Houses of Parliament, St Paul’s or Westminster Abbey...we would lose something immeasurable. I love every Victorian terrace street, no matter where in lies in our city because even a 110 year old house in an anonymous area has so much history, so for something like Notre Dame...it’s one of the world’s iconic buildings. A proper cultural tragedy.

Silly comparison, but the back of our Johnny Haynes stand at the Cottage still has the original wooden seats and I love the fact that Fulham fans have been watching Fulham not win major trophies from those very same, beautiful seats for 114 years. All the happy, fed-up, ecstatic, bored people watching thousands of different players through all those eras...well, the thought of that stand not being there is awful to me and Notre Dame means infinitely more to the people of France (and possibly the wider world...although we are fuc King massive). Glad the main structure should be okay.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 20:31]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Young Parisians Are So French on 21:30 - Apr 16 with 1682 viewsdistortR

Young Parisians Are So French on 10:13 - Apr 16 by Metallica_Hoop

It's a great book.

I walked up the dome of St-Pauls two years ago some fantastic views. the girl I took up there has ashma but she made it and said the views were worth the discomfort. Oddly going down hurt much more!

The boss is off this week so my colleague and I have decided to go to the top of the Monument. Think it's £5 but the views should be great.

asthma AND braces
Young Parisians Are So French on 22:16 - Apr 16 with 1646 viewshubble

Too early?

url= https://ibb.co/FJWfMLr][img]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Young Parisians Are So French on 22:32 - Apr 16 with 1618 viewsBoston

Young Parisians Are So French on 22:16 - Apr 16 by hubble

Too early?

url= https://ibb.co/FJWfMLr][img]

Gendarmerie, we have our first suspect.

Young Parisians Are So French on 22:36 - Apr 16 with 1612 viewsBoston

Young Parisians Are So French on 19:41 - Apr 16 by kensalriser

Heard nothing from Lee Hoos either. No doubt he'll just come out with some more glib corporate bs instead of an honest plan to rebuild.

I'll put money on it Warren Farm is a harder construction project than Notre Dame.

Young Parisians Are So French on 00:42 - Apr 17 with 1540 viewsTacticalR

Young Parisians Are So French on 22:32 - Apr 16 by Boston

Much more likely to be the provisional wing of the ERG.

Air hostess clique

Young Parisians Are So French on 01:28 - Apr 17 with 1507 viewsstainrods_elbow

Young Parisians Are So French on 22:32 - Apr 16 by Boston

Congratulations - you win the prize for the most ridiculous/embarrassing photograph of the year - if not the era!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Young Parisians Are So French on 01:38 - Apr 17 with 1502 viewsBoston

To be truthful, when I made the original post I wasn’t expecting a blond haired Adam to make an appearance!

Login to get fewer ads

Young Parisians Are So French on 08:05 - Apr 17 with 1439 viewsTheChef

And here come the predictable 'hero' stories, with the individuals improbably linking back to some other 'terror' event.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/16/europe/notre-dame-chaplain-artifacts-intl/ind

Great surname as well:

Fournier is a French surname. It is a former designation of baker. Prior to the 1900s it was the designation of a fire tender. The fire tender became by default the baker as he was normally in charge of the communal ovens.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Young Parisians Are So French on 08:36 - Apr 17 with 1414 viewspeterlund_dk

Young Parisians Are So French on 19:41 - Apr 16 by kensalriser

Heard nothing from Lee Hoos either. No doubt he'll just come out with some more glib corporate bs instead of an honest plan to rebuild.

I have attended mass at that cathedral for more than 750 years. so he better not give me his usual smokescreen non-speak - I'm entitled to the truth.
Young Parisians Are So French on 09:13 - Apr 17 with 1386 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Saw this on Social Media. Bit over the top but the point stands:

Hungry? Fvck you.
Homeless? Fvck you.
Clean water? Fvck you.
No health care? Fvck you.

"But by Tuesday morning, companies had already started pledging money to help rebuild the cathedral. More than $600 million has been pledged from companies including L'Oréal and from people such as LVMH CEO Bernard Arnault, who is the richest person in France and the third-richest person in the world."
Young Parisians Are So French on 09:33 - Apr 17 with 1361 viewsTheChef

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:13 - Apr 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

Hungry? Fvck you.
Homeless? Fvck you.
Clean water? Fvck you.

"But by Tuesday morning, companies had already started pledging money to help rebuild the cathedral. More than $600 million has been pledged from companies including L'Oréal and from people such as LVMH CEO Bernard Arnault, who is the richest person in France and the third-richest person in the world."

Rich people in "looking after other rich people" shocker.

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:39 - Apr 17 with 1352 viewsToast_R

Hungry? Fvck you.
Homeless? Fvck you.
Clean water? Fvck you.

Just shows you doesn't it. Good will to all men and all that good stuff the bible is supposed to preach and what the Cathedral was built for. But the building is far more important than the very purpose it's there for.

All about the money, money , money.

The Vatican has enough to rebuild it without any funding from outside it circle.
Young Parisians Are So French on 09:45 - Apr 17 with 1341 viewsTheChef

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:39 - Apr 17 by Toast_R

Just shows you doesn't it. Good will to all men and all that good stuff the bible is supposed to preach and what the Cathedral was built for. But the building is far more important than the very purpose it's there for.

All about the money, money , money.

The Vatican has enough to rebuild it without any funding from outside it circle.

Bloody hell yes, let alone the trillions the Vatican has.

But still, keep those donations coming in folks!!

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:51 - Apr 17 with 1328 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I read yesterday that Notre Dame is owned by the French State and not the Vatican.

Not that the Vatican would have paid for the rebuild anyway, I suspect.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:53 - Apr 17 with 1320 viewsTheChef

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:51 - Apr 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I read yesterday that Notre Dame is owned by the French State and not the Vatican.

Not that the Vatican would have paid for the rebuild anyway, I suspect.

Yeah but if you're looking for donations from wealthy benefactors, I'd say the Vatican were fairly high up there in having a vested interest.

Still never mind, let's keep pumping the plebs for money they haven't got.

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:56 - Apr 17 with 1315 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:53 - Apr 17 by TheChef

Yeah but if you're looking for donations from wealthy benefactors, I'd say the Vatican were fairly high up there in having a vested interest.

Still never mind, let's keep pumping the plebs for money they haven't got.

Agreed, was never going to happen.

If they were truly charitable they would've sold some of the magnificent art in the Vatican and used the money to fight poverty or to pay the legal bills of those abused by priests.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Young Parisians Are So French on 10:54 - Apr 17 with 1282 viewsessextaxiboy

Hungry? Fvck you.
Homeless? Fvck you.
Clean water? Fvck you.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/thanks-two-

In three days in peak austerity Britain 2014 .......

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/food-banks-

Same year same City .............

Priorities Eh ?
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 11:01]
Young Parisians Are So French on 11:07 - Apr 17 with 1261 viewsBoston

We need a scapegoat...round up the Knights Templar’s.

Young Parisians Are So French on 11:12 - Apr 17 with 1241 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Young Parisians Are So French on 01:28 - Apr 17 by stainrods_elbow

Congratulations - you win the prize for the most ridiculous/embarrassing photograph of the year - if not the era!

Send it off to Lee. See what he makes of it.
Young Parisians Are So French on 11:33 - Apr 17 with 1198 viewsPunteR

Young Parisians Are So French on 19:49 - Apr 16 by Konk

I can absolutely relate to that, mate. Most posters on here are Londoners and if we were to lose The Houses of Parliament, St Paul’s or Westminster Abbey...we would lose something immeasurable. I love every Victorian terrace street, no matter where in lies in our city because even a 110 year old house in an anonymous area has so much history, so for something like Notre Dame...it’s one of the world’s iconic buildings. A proper cultural tragedy.

Silly comparison, but the back of our Johnny Haynes stand at the Cottage still has the original wooden seats and I love the fact that Fulham fans have been watching Fulham not win major trophies from those very same, beautiful seats for 114 years. All the happy, fed-up, ecstatic, bored people watching thousands of different players through all those eras...well, the thought of that stand not being there is awful to me and Notre Dame means infinitely more to the people of France (and possibly the wider world...although we are fuc King massive). Glad the main structure should be okay.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 20:31]

Its almost impossible to rebuild exactly the same. Timber will be hard to replace. Most carpenters wont have the skills to do the work of the original. Same in london. My mate works for a company that looks after the maintenance of the British museum amongst other london buildings. Theres not many old school carpenters that use the same techniques or tools.
Shame attention to detail and craftmanship has gone in the trade but its all about time and money.
Its just a building at the end of the day and they are never going to last forever. Spend the money on something more worthwhile.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Young Parisians Are So French on 12:14 - Apr 17 with 1163 views2Thomas2Bowles

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/reaction-of-the-rich-notre-dame-fire-teaches-the-worl

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:42 - Apr 17 with 1119 viewsBoston

Young Parisians Are So French on 11:33 - Apr 17 by PunteR

Its almost impossible to rebuild exactly the same. Timber will be hard to replace. Most carpenters wont have the skills to do the work of the original. Same in london. My mate works for a company that looks after the maintenance of the British museum amongst other london buildings. Theres not many old school carpenters that use the same techniques or tools.
Shame attention to detail and craftmanship has gone in the trade but its all about time and money.
Its just a building at the end of the day and they are never going to last forever. Spend the money on something more worthwhile.

Crickey Punte, couldn’t disagree with you more. The reason we have tradesmen / artisans at all is because of the church, royalty and landed gentry. The high end of the business has virtually disappeared due to them not having (spending),the sort of money they once did. I’m delighted when I see an old building, ship or anything from the past restored. Yes it may be good to retain history, but I’m a strong advocate of maintaining our skills.

Young Parisians Are So French on 14:34 - Apr 17 with 1084 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Young Parisians Are So French on 10:54 - Apr 17 by essextaxiboy

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/thanks-two-

In three days in peak austerity Britain 2014 .......

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/food-banks-

Same year same City .............

Priorities Eh ?
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 11:01]

Humans are a weird species.

Saying that I’ve never met a dog I didn’t like but plenty of humans who are cahnts.
Young Parisians Are So French on 16:23 - Apr 17 with 1019 viewsPunteR

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:42 - Apr 17 by Boston

Crickey Punte, couldn’t disagree with you more. The reason we have tradesmen / artisans at all is because of the church, royalty and landed gentry. The high end of the business has virtually disappeared due to them not having (spending),the sort of money they once did. I’m delighted when I see an old building, ship or anything from the past restored. Yes it may be good to retain history, but I’m a strong advocate of maintaining our skills.

I hear what your saying and i agree that tradesmen need to maintain a high standard of work. I also appreciate old buildings and architecture. Its just methods, tools and materials have changed so much over the years that the set of skills needed 50 years ago are redundant. Plumbing for example, its mainly push fit stuff so those old soldering skills are going. Most mouldings are now mdf which only require Gripfill and nailed. Thermalite blocks with Plasterboard dot and dabbed etc etc. Most timber these days is utter gash because it comes from young trees and just doesn't have time to settle.
There is of course the high end stuff but thats a very small percentage of work going on i would imagine.
I also think that if tradesmen 100 years ago had the tools , materials we have now they would definitely have use them :) I've worked in plenty of old buildings doing refurbs etc and there were definitely cowboys back then as well..lol
I was always thought it was the great fire of london where tradesmen really came to the fore. Whether that was financed by the church or the establishment i dont know.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 16:39]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024