Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vive la France 11:51 - Jan 14 with 3998 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/11/world/europe/france-pension-protests.html?fbc
Vive la France on 11:59 - Jan 14 with 2757 viewsClive_Anderson

Life expectancy is increasing, but pension age is not.

It doesn't take a genius to see that it's unsustainable.
Vive la France on 12:09 - Jan 14 with 2734 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Vive la France on 11:59 - Jan 14 by Clive_Anderson

Life expectancy is increasing, but pension age is not.

It doesn't take a genius to see that it's unsustainable.

It’s easily doable if companies pay a bit more and the globe wasn’t in a tax race to the bottom.

And before you start with the ‘what about the exodus of companies’ the corperation Tax rate under Thatcher would have easily sustained a pensions age well into the century.

If you want to die at your desk for some faceless company that’s your choice.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 12:09]
Vive la France on 12:36 - Jan 14 with 2644 viewsJacksDad

Life expectancy in France maybe, but this government has performed admirably in its attempts to lower life expectancy in the UK
Vive la France on 12:50 - Jan 14 with 2597 viewsstevec

Another good reason to get out of the EU, we won't have to contribute towards their pensions.
Vive la France on 13:04 - Jan 14 with 2558 viewsstowmarketrange

Have I still got time to move over there?I can be retired 4 1/2 years earlier under those rules.
Vive la France on 13:12 - Jan 14 with 2523 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I only heard about these huge protests from U.S. Media as well. It's getting very little coverage in Ireland.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Vive la France on 13:13 - Jan 14 with 2516 viewsNed_Kennedys

Wasn't lowering the French retirement age and increasing their pensions in Labour's manifesto?
Vive la France on 13:14 - Jan 14 with 2515 viewssmegma

Nothing to do with Macrons missus being a pensioner, no, it's a coincidence..
Login to get fewer ads

Vive la France on 13:15 - Jan 14 with 2504 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Simply not sustainable. Our pension reforms were too late but no Government wanted to force compulsory contributions through as it is so unpopular. This coupled with the higher retirement age should help considerably.
Vive la France on 13:16 - Jan 14 with 2494 viewsBoston

Vive la France on 12:36 - Jan 14 by JacksDad

Life expectancy in France maybe, but this government has performed admirably in its attempts to lower life expectancy in the UK

I doubt the population requires any government assistance.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Vive la France on 13:25 - Jan 14 with 2462 viewsericgen34

Of course it is sustainable. Our pensions system is vastly different from yours. It is not based on funds and return on investment. It basically is people in work paying the pension of retired people. I am happily paying for the current retired people on the understanding that my pension will be paid when I retire.
Vive la France on 13:29 - Jan 14 with 2420 viewsThe_Seer

Vive la France on 12:09 - Jan 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

It’s easily doable if companies pay a bit more and the globe wasn’t in a tax race to the bottom.

And before you start with the ‘what about the exodus of companies’ the corperation Tax rate under Thatcher would have easily sustained a pensions age well into the century.

The French have already tried that under Holland which resulted in an exodus of the wealthy and a lower tax revenue. People will stick 2 fingers up and leave that's the way it is.

You don't have to die at your desk for some faceless company if you plan whilst you are young.

France is in big trouble I can see the situation getting worse.
Vive la France on 13:36 - Jan 14 with 2412 viewsR_from_afar

Vive la France on 12:50 - Jan 14 by stevec

Another good reason to get out of the EU, we won't have to contribute towards their pensions.

Ahem!
"Research by Bloomberg Economics estimates that the economic cost of Brexit has already hit 130 billion pounds ($170 billion), with a further 70 billion pounds set to be added by the end of this year. That’s based on the damage caused by the U.K. untethering from its Group of Seven peers over the past three years".
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-10/-170-billion-and-counting-the

PS: I don't want another Brexit war on LFW, but you did start it.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 13:37]

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Vive la France on 13:37 - Jan 14 with 2404 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Vive la France on 13:15 - Jan 14 by CroydonCaptJack

Simply not sustainable. Our pension reforms were too late but no Government wanted to force compulsory contributions through as it is so unpopular. This coupled with the higher retirement age should help considerably.

It is sustainable, and demonstrably so.
Vive la France on 13:38 - Jan 14 with 2395 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Vive la France on 13:29 - Jan 14 by The_Seer

The French have already tried that under Holland which resulted in an exodus of the wealthy and a lower tax revenue. People will stick 2 fingers up and leave that's the way it is.

You don't have to die at your desk for some faceless company if you plan whilst you are young.

France is in big trouble I can see the situation getting worse.

How does a geezer who cycles around delivering takeaways plan for his future on £8k a year?
Vive la France on 13:48 - Jan 14 with 2341 viewsboysfromthebush

Vive la France on 13:38 - Jan 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

How does a geezer who cycles around delivering takeaways plan for his future on £8k a year?

Work hard and get a better job whilst he's still young?
Vive la France on 13:53 - Jan 14 with 2327 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Vive la France on 13:48 - Jan 14 by boysfromthebush

Work hard and get a better job whilst he's still young?

Is cycling 16 hours a day for 7 days a week with some fat bastard’s Pizza on your back not working hard then?
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 13:53]
Vive la France on 13:59 - Jan 14 with 2301 views2Thomas2Bowles

Vive la France on 13:53 - Jan 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

Is cycling 16 hours a day for 7 days a week with some fat bastard’s Pizza on your back not working hard then?

What would your career advice be to said person?

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Vive la France on 14:03 - Jan 14 with 2288 viewsstevec

I don't know what you're studying Baz, but I'm guessing it ain't Economics.
Vive la France on 14:08 - Jan 14 with 2261 viewsClive_Anderson

Vive la France on 12:09 - Jan 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

So the increase in length of time people receive their pensions makes no difference?

Interesting. We could lower the pension age to 21 and no one would need to work at all.
Vive la France on 14:12 - Jan 14 with 2244 viewsstevec

Vive la France on 14:08 - Jan 14 by Clive_Anderson

So the increase in length of time people receive their pensions makes no difference?

Interesting. We could lower the pension age to 21 and no one would need to work at all.

Haven't you heard?

Everything's FREEEE!
Vive la France on 14:24 - Jan 14 with 2192 viewsboysfromthebush

Physically yes, of course.

Economically and looking after yourself, non.
Vive la France on 14:26 - Jan 14 with 2187 viewsDavieQPR

Vive la France on 13:36 - Jan 14 by R_from_afar

Ahem!
"Research by Bloomberg Economics estimates that the economic cost of Brexit has already hit 130 billion pounds ($170 billion), with a further 70 billion pounds set to be added by the end of this year. That’s based on the damage caused by the U.K. untethering from its Group of Seven peers over the past three years".
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-10/-170-billion-and-counting-the

PS: I don't want another Brexit war on LFW, but you did start it.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 13:37]

Owned by Democrat hopeful, Multi Billionaire who is only interested in what can get him more money and power. Who in one day spent $860,000 on Facebook ads.
Vive la France on 14:28 - Jan 14 with 2184 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Vive la France on 13:25 - Jan 14 by ericgen34

Of course it is sustainable. Our pensions system is vastly different from yours. It is not based on funds and return on investment. It basically is people in work paying the pension of retired people. I am happily paying for the current retired people on the understanding that my pension will be paid when I retire.

And when people live longer there will be more of them to pay from an ever decreasing % of the working population.
Vive la France on 15:12 - Jan 14 with 2113 viewsericgen34

Vive la France on 14:28 - Jan 14 by CroydonCaptJack

And when people live longer there will be more of them to pay from an ever decreasing % of the working population.

Yes, but that is a societal choice, and it is ours. It is based on solidarity between generations.

A lot of people reaching retirement age are unemployed (I think it is around 1 in 3), extending the retirement age is not going to increase revenue for the pensioners, it will just reduce the pensions of those that do not manage to reach retirement age thereby making them poorer. If unemployment was tackled and those worked till the end there would be no need to increase retirement age. Add to that the huge tax fraud (estimated up to 100b€ here, a third of the annual pensions bill), the obscene widening gap between rich and poor, and the increasing poverty, even among some working people, it is not surprising people are up in arms against this. Why not tackling these issues first?

Also the rate of life expectancy increase is decreasing, whereas the life in good health expectancy is decreasing. Add to that the effects of global warming and the pesticide food based diet we had in the last 30 years, I dont see life expectancy rising much further.

I know I'm going to be shot down for this but it seems to me England lately has become an each for oneself and sod everyone else society lately, so I am not surprised at the general scoffing at the idea of defending some existing rights - you have after all voted for getting rid of some rights you had
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024