Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lawrence Shankland 16:22 - Jan 14 with 17646 viewsSir_Chops

This may have appeared elsewhere, but what do our Scottish football experts think of this guy? Could he do the business down here in the Championship?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/lawrence-sha

Had read elsewhere he rejected a move to England when Dundee United picked him up from Ayr.
Lawrence Shankland on 16:24 - Jan 14 with 7864 viewsLongsufferingR

Amazing scoring stats: https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=65013
Lawrence Shankland on 16:42 - Jan 14 with 7794 viewsNorthernr

Some discussion and opinions here...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/251987/page:2/#37
Lawrence Shankland on 17:40 - Jan 14 with 7560 viewsCheshireR

I've seen him 3 times this season and he certainly shines at Scottish championship level and is massively popular with Dundee Utd fans.
The standard at which he is currently playing is probably on a par with our league one. The Championship will be a step up for for him that's for sure, but one he should be capable of making.
Lawrence Shankland on 17:44 - Jan 14 with 7540 viewsdaveB

Lawrence Shankland on 17:40 - Jan 14 by CheshireR

I've seen him 3 times this season and he certainly shines at Scottish championship level and is massively popular with Dundee Utd fans.
The standard at which he is currently playing is probably on a par with our league one. The Championship will be a step up for for him that's for sure, but one he should be capable of making.

I signed him in the new football manager and he did really well for me
Lawrence Shankland on 19:12 - Jan 14 with 7392 viewsLblock

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Lawrence Shankland on 20:43 - Jan 14 with 7214 viewsBoston

Lawrence Shankland on 19:12 - Jan 14 by Lblock

I’d sign him just so we can shank Fulham and Brentford.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Lawrence Shankland on 23:33 - Jan 14 with 7037 viewskarl

Little bit more to add.
Someone from QPR was apparently in attendance to watch his hat trick at the weekend and that put Dundee United 17pts clear so realistically have clinched promotion but unfortunately their other centre forward broke his ankle, you have to imagine that will prevent the January sale of Shankland unless there's a really big offer?
Interesting thing atm with DU is their finances under new American owners, apparently Shankland on either £3k week and a signing on fee that aggregates his wages to £5k or he's basically on £5k. Either way thats big big money for Scottish Championship and overall DU are at 133% wages to turnover.
Their turnover is £3.1m and wages £4.1m (Shankland not a huge % of that), losses last year of £3.7m, I can't see what they're hoping to achieve as Shankland won't cover those losses, I do think he's worth a punt but I can't see him being worth more than the £1m because of his reputation as much as anything.
They've gone full bore for promotion but without getting to Scottish Cup final regularly there's not enough money in the game to cover those losses so would be concerned what value they are attaching to him?
Imo they don't have any other valuable players, although the keeper is good not sure his contract situation.
Lawrence Shankland on 23:36 - Jan 14 with 7030 viewskarl

One thing I'll add and have often stated is the age a Scottish player seems to mature, it always seems to be at this 24ish age and does make Shankland being a success in the English Championship more viable for me.
Login to get fewer ads

Lawrence Shankland on 07:04 - Jan 15 with 6867 viewsDWQPR

Lawrence Shankland on 19:12 - Jan 14 by Lblock

Watching those clips a few things become apparent:

- He can use both feet
- He gets into positions to score–
- He can use his head
- He has a football brain

And teams in hoops wherever they may be are comical at defending.

I like the look of the lad.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Lawrence Shankland on 08:02 - Jan 15 with 6768 viewsTheChef

He's called Lawrence.

Sign him up!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Lawrence Shankland on 16:48 - Jan 15 with 6505 viewsBoston

Lawrence Shankland on 08:02 - Jan 15 by TheChef

He's called Lawrence.

Sign him up!

Arab is he?

Lawrence Shankland on 17:11 - Jan 15 with 6457 viewsSir_Chops

Thanks Karl. I think I read he only signed a 2-year contract. It'd be much more viable if Dundee Utd don't have an option to extend it and he starts playing hardball over signing a new one.

Mind you, I think I read somewhere there was interest from England last summer and he wasn't interested so chose Dundee United...
Lawrence Shankland on 20:09 - Jan 15 with 6215 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 17:11 - Jan 15 by Sir_Chops

Thanks Karl. I think I read he only signed a 2-year contract. It'd be much more viable if Dundee Utd don't have an option to extend it and he starts playing hardball over signing a new one.

Mind you, I think I read somewhere there was interest from England last summer and he wasn't interested so chose Dundee United...

Seems he's contracted till May 22, do remember talk of it being a 3yr deal so does tie in with that.
I couldn't remember him turning anyone down but I googled it and apparently Sunderland were interested and possibly made an offer. Their manager at the time was Jack Ross, who's now in charge at Hibs, and he signed a lot of Scottish based players. They were also linked to many more so could be genuine interest or lazy journalism?
Probably he would need a little settling in period but I think he's ready, if he's not signed by anyone in January the big moment for him could be the Scotland Euro playoffs if he hits form in those games it could go a long way to deciding what his future is.
Playing Hibs on Sunday in the cup so hopefully has a quiet week!
Lawrence Shankland on 20:17 - Jan 15 with 6176 viewsjohncharles

I see what you did there

Strong and stable my arse.

Lawrence Shankland on 21:28 - Jan 15 with 6052 viewsBoston

Lawrence Shankland on 20:17 - Jan 15 by johncharles

I see what you did there

Well I hope you’re not effendi’d.

Lawrence Shankland on 23:46 - Jan 15 with 5832 viewsTrom

Lawrence Shankland on 20:09 - Jan 15 by karl

Seems he's contracted till May 22, do remember talk of it being a 3yr deal so does tie in with that.
I couldn't remember him turning anyone down but I googled it and apparently Sunderland were interested and possibly made an offer. Their manager at the time was Jack Ross, who's now in charge at Hibs, and he signed a lot of Scottish based players. They were also linked to many more so could be genuine interest or lazy journalism?
Probably he would need a little settling in period but I think he's ready, if he's not signed by anyone in January the big moment for him could be the Scotland Euro playoffs if he hits form in those games it could go a long way to deciding what his future is.
Playing Hibs on Sunday in the cup so hopefully has a quiet week!

I agree there's a lot of keystone kops goals in that highlight real but it was his time at Ayr. Lots of gifted goals but he was in the right place at the right time. Some decent quality finishes amongst it too. He's carried on at Dundee but again the same division. His productivity would be far lower in the Championship due to the better opposition. He seems to be a Hugill type of player. I still want to see some of the Preston kind of form out of Hugill.
Lawrence Shankland on 00:08 - Jan 16 with 5812 viewsbob566

Lawrence Shankland on 23:46 - Jan 15 by Trom

I agree there's a lot of keystone kops goals in that highlight real but it was his time at Ayr. Lots of gifted goals but he was in the right place at the right time. Some decent quality finishes amongst it too. He's carried on at Dundee but again the same division. His productivity would be far lower in the Championship due to the better opposition. He seems to be a Hugill type of player. I still want to see some of the Preston kind of form out of Hugill.

Kind of reminds me of the postman signing from linfield. Whatever happened to him. Wonder where he is now
Lawrence Shankland on 00:36 - Jan 16 with 5794 viewsaston_hoop

Lawrence Shankland on 00:08 - Jan 16 by bob566

Kind of reminds me of the postman signing from linfield. Whatever happened to him. Wonder where he is now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thompson_(Northern_Ireland_footballer)

didnt make it at Stockport it seems

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Lawrence Shankland on 00:48 - Jan 16 with 5787 viewsjohncharles

Moved to Scotland a few years ago to the Dundee area where all my wife’s family are staunch Dundee and to mention United is like cheering Chelsea 🤮 in the Loft but I’ll keep my eyes and ears open.

Strong and stable my arse.

Lawrence Shankland on 08:24 - Jan 16 with 5660 viewssmuttsontour

SIGN A BLOODY CENTRE-HALF!!!!!
Lawrence Shankland on 08:45 - Jan 16 with 5626 viewskarl

Quote from 'BBC Gossip'
A transfer bid from Queens Park Rangers for Scotland striker Lawrence Shankland is likely to be sanctioned if he impresses for Dundee United against Hibernian, with the English Championship club's director of football, Les Ferdinand, due to watch their Scottish Cup tie. (Daily Record)

I'd like Les to know that scoring and playing well against Hibs does not necessarily mean a player is having a good game, it seems any old donkey can do it these days
Lawrence Shankland on 11:11 - Jan 16 with 5461 viewsDavieQPR

He has scored 87 goals in his last 91 appearances. This is well worth a look at any level. Would cost about £2m and with us losing Hugill, Wells and Mlakar next season.
Lawrence Shankland on 12:26 - Jan 16 with 5321 viewskensalriser

Lawrence Shankland on 08:45 - Jan 16 by karl

Quote from 'BBC Gossip'
A transfer bid from Queens Park Rangers for Scotland striker Lawrence Shankland is likely to be sanctioned if he impresses for Dundee United against Hibernian, with the English Championship club's director of football, Les Ferdinand, due to watch their Scottish Cup tie. (Daily Record)

I'd like Les to know that scoring and playing well against Hibs does not necessarily mean a player is having a good game, it seems any old donkey can do it these days

Surely Les is canny enough to know that no sensible decision can be taken on the basis of one game.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Lawrence Shankland on 12:29 - Jan 16 with 5311 viewsNed_Kennedys

Lawrence Shankland on 12:26 - Jan 16 by kensalriser

Surely Les is canny enough to know that no sensible decision can be taken on the basis of one game.

Scouts etc from QPR have already watched him at least twice apparently.
Lawrence Shankland on 12:38 - Jan 16 with 5277 viewsMatch82

Lawrence Shankland on 08:45 - Jan 16 by karl

Quote from 'BBC Gossip'

Probably just regurgitating what they read here

"sources say that the player will have to prove himself over a number of games, due to the quality of the opposition in the upcoming cup match"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024