Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cultural Differences 23:24 - Jan 16 with 4624 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Chatting to a new girl at work from Colombia today about football traditions in Latin America and UK respectively.

She mentioned a quaint Columbian football tradition of eating Empanadas at a match. I mentioned a quaint English custom of singing about tickling arses with Celery.

She doesn't make eye contact with me any more.

Cultural Differences on 00:22 - Jan 17 with 3554 viewsBoston

For empanadas read Pukka Pies.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Cultural Differences on 00:25 - Jan 17 with 3550 viewsBoston

Actually, this has the makings of an interesting thread....what are the half time offerings from the snack bars, commissaries around the football world?

Cultural Differences on 02:55 - Jan 17 with 3507 viewsitsbiga

Is it Sophia Vagara?
You jammy barsteward.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Cultural Differences on 04:10 - Jan 17 with 3479 viewsDevon_4_England

Celery eh? She might have got the wrong end of the er stick and wrongly assumed you are Chelsea....watch out if turns up at work tomorrow with a blue flag looking for somewhere to stick it...
Cultural Differences on 08:30 - Jan 17 with 3310 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I took a half Colombian/half Venezuelan girl to St Albans for non-league day.

She loved the giant, tasteless, white van grease burger. I had one it was...special I'll give it that. It certainly wasn't meat, It made McD's look like a gourmet burger.

I took her to the beer festival at Olympia years ago and she said that many Venezuelan males in a room would result in a fight.

You could take that as a cultural difference of a drinking kind.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Cultural Differences on 09:27 - Jan 17 with 3206 viewssmegma

I saw Penarol play in the historic Centenario Stadium in Montevideo, at half time I had piping hot churros with a hot chocolate. It went down a treat.
In Athens they eat what looked like bird seed.
At Dulwich Hamlet recently I had a vegan pie, chips and mushy peas. Best food in a stadium I've had in years.
Cultural Differences on 12:36 - Jan 17 with 3104 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Cultural Differences on 09:27 - Jan 17 by smegma

I saw Penarol play in the historic Centenario Stadium in Montevideo, at half time I had piping hot churros with a hot chocolate. It went down a treat.
In Athens they eat what looked like bird seed.
At Dulwich Hamlet recently I had a vegan pie, chips and mushy peas. Best food in a stadium I've had in years.

I thought Penerol was what you used when you get the old Farmer Giles.
Cultural Differences on 13:00 - Jan 17 with 3053 viewsBklynRanger

The Riazor in La Coruna smells strongly (and quite pleasantly if you ask me) of ham.
Login to get fewer ads

Cultural Differences on 13:19 - Jan 17 with 2990 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Cultural Differences on 02:55 - Jan 17 by itsbiga

Is it Sophia Vagara?
You jammy barsteward.

More Vargas than Vagara but thank you for introducing me to this individual I was previously un familiar with. Best Google search ever.
Cultural Differences on 13:58 - Jan 17 with 2914 viewsR_from_afar

Intriguing...

Not sure if anyone has seen this:
The weirdest footballing terms from around the world:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/68c9c99d-c9d8-4857-96dd-b10336e2118e

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Cultural Differences on 14:09 - Jan 17 with 2898 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cultural Differences on 13:58 - Jan 17 by R_from_afar

Intriguing...

Not sure if anyone has seen this:
The weirdest footballing terms from around the world:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/68c9c99d-c9d8-4857-96dd-b10336e2118e

Brilliant.

I played at Loftus Road once and until now struggled to find words to define my performance. I was, it tuns out, The Popcorn Man.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 14:15]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Cultural Differences on 14:19 - Jan 17 with 2868 viewsR_from_afar

Cultural Differences on 14:09 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Brilliant.

I played at Loftus Road once and until now struggled to find words to define my performance. I was, it tuns out, The Popcorn Man.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 14:15]

I'm sure you're being too hard on yourself, Brian.

I regularly "step on a snake". Not usually a big problem when you're in the opposition's half but I recently did it when our corner was cleared into our half and I was the only outfield player between their striker and our goal

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Cultural Differences on 14:25 - Jan 17 with 2854 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cultural Differences on 14:19 - Jan 17 by R_from_afar

I'm sure you're being too hard on yourself, Brian.

I regularly "step on a snake". Not usually a big problem when you're in the opposition's half but I recently did it when our corner was cleared into our half and I was the only outfield player between their striker and our goal

I feel your pain.

My Dad still mentions that game to me at every possible opportunity -

"I've never seen a lad so close to the ball so often without ever managing to actually collide with it once".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Cultural Differences on 14:52 - Jan 17 with 2794 viewsstevec

Cultural Differences on 14:25 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I feel your pain.

My Dad still mentions that game to me at every possible opportunity -

"I've never seen a lad so close to the ball so often without ever managing to actually collide with it once".

Don, don't ruin it for me.
Cultural Differences on 14:54 - Jan 17 with 2788 viewsMrSheen

The death penalty for own goals might catch on here.
Cultural Differences on 15:04 - Jan 17 with 2755 viewsBoston

Cultural Differences on 14:54 - Jan 17 by MrSheen

The death penalty for own goals might catch on here.

Judging by the recent posts concerning goalkeepers....

Cultural Differences on 15:08 - Jan 17 with 2741 viewsMick_S

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Cultural Differences on 15:23 - Jan 17 with 2712 viewsRBlock

Cultural Differences on 00:25 - Jan 17 by Boston

Actually, this has the makings of an interesting thread....what are the half time offerings from the snack bars, commissaries around the football world?

I've been to a football match in Cape Verde, and apart from the usual random assortment of beers, they also have people selling fried chicken drumsticks served in a paper napkin and assorted deep fried salt fish pastries.

Additionally, I've been to a game in Ecuador which was great because there were woman shuttling around selling beers that you can flag down. The only issue is it was so hot there, they had to plonk a large chunk of ice in the beer to make it drinkable. Sacrilege know, but it went down well!
Cultural Differences on 15:26 - Jan 17 with 2700 viewsRBlock

Also in Napoli it's tradition to drink mall shot bottles of either a coffee liquor or sambuca (and smoke a lot of hash).

I'm sure Mel will have some great ones here, having watched football across half the globe.
Cultural Differences on 15:33 - Jan 17 with 2679 viewsBoston

Cultural Differences on 15:23 - Jan 17 by RBlock

I've been to a football match in Cape Verde, and apart from the usual random assortment of beers, they also have people selling fried chicken drumsticks served in a paper napkin and assorted deep fried salt fish pastries.

Additionally, I've been to a game in Ecuador which was great because there were woman shuttling around selling beers that you can flag down. The only issue is it was so hot there, they had to plonk a large chunk of ice in the beer to make it drinkable. Sacrilege know, but it went down well!

One of my daughters was at a Patriots game a few years ago and she bought a bottle of Bud Light that came in that horrible aluminum bottle. So, back upstairs she goes, plonks herself down in her seat and tips up the bottle for a swig...frozen. Effin cold night.

Cultural Differences on 15:35 - Jan 17 with 2675 viewsHayesender

Quién se comió todos los pasteles

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Cultural Differences on 16:09 - Jan 17 with 2633 viewsrobith

Eating a bocadilla wrapped in foil at Spanish football is a tradition I wish would catch on here. That and the one euro beers (it was a very low division of football)
Cultural Differences on 17:40 - Jan 17 with 2545 viewsR_from_afar

In Georgia - the country - there is a lot of snacking on sunflower seeds at games, apparently. Not that I have attended a fixture there, sadly, a book told me.

Cultural Differences on 17:47 - Jan 17 with 2533 viewsaston_hoop

I had a season ticket at Mallorca for a few years, everyone was snacking on sunflower seeds and by the end of games, the stands would be littered with them. That and as Robith mentions, everyone brining their bocadillo wrapped in foil - no beer though at that level.

My missus is Peruvian and I've accompanied her to some Peruvian football expats meetups to watch Copa America games here in Barcelona. The fans seem to only have one song but sing it loud and for bloody hours. Plus half of them were sober! Hoping to see a Copa Libertadores game though when I'm over there in March, looking forward to that

Edit - one added Story - I touched down in the Azores about 18 months back only to realise the local team (Santa Clara) needed to win that day to be promoted to the top division. Went straight to the stadium to find thousands of people outside and queues ridiculously long for people trying to buy tickets. Joined a queue that wasnt moving and realised about 5 minutes before kick off that it was never going to happen. At that point, they opened the stadium and it was a free for all, everyone waiting in for free. Saw the game and they won 3-0. Would never happen in the Championship
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 17:49]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Cultural Differences on 18:03 - Jan 17 with 2496 viewssmegma

Cultural Differences on 17:40 - Jan 17 by R_from_afar

In Georgia - the country - there is a lot of snacking on sunflower seeds at games, apparently. Not that I have attended a fixture there, sadly, a book told me.

and in Greece, Turkey, Rumania,Albania, Armenia et al
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024