Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Belize - Anyone been? 16:12 - Jan 26 with 2353 viewsLoftusR

It's that time of year again where I post my annual group chat on some obscure place I might try and visit in the summer

This year it's Belize. Wanted to go to central America for years and thought Belize would be a good place start as I think it is reasonably safe, affordable and English is widely spoken.

Has anyone been? What is you general opinion. What are the top places to visit and to stay or things to do. Plan to travel around a bit so any advice on buses / tours etc would be great.

Thanks
Belize - Anyone been? on 16:16 - Jan 26 with 2342 viewsBoston

Take every vaccine known to mankind.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Belize - Anyone been? on 16:37 - Jan 26 with 2310 viewsBlackCrowe

Yep, family trip in 2017.

Flew in and out of Cancun, 2 nights either side (staying)just outside PDC, avoiding Cancun at all costs). Then 4 nights in jungle at Black Rock Lodge (amazing and lots to see and do - river rafting, mayan ruins etc), then 4 nights on Ambegris and 5 night on Caye Caulker. Great trip for all ages but word of warning - it ain't cheap (excursions, eating out, drinks, etc) lots of US tourists pushing prices up everywhere. It's safe both medically and crime (except apparently parts of Belize city are pretty dodgy but you won't need to go there except for the airport or getting a ferry to the islands).

PM me if you want more info/have questions.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Belize - Anyone been? on 17:38 - Jan 26 with 2268 viewsLoftusR

Thats interesting. What did you think of Caye Caulker? Where did you stay? Did you organise the travel yourself or use an agent?
Belize - Anyone been? on 19:00 - Jan 26 with 2201 viewsRangersDave

waterfront is nice some streets off the waterfront are ok, but the rest is........ not brilliant.

Love the wildlife there, the howler monkeys are great, not so happy with the tarantulas as big as your fist though.

Jaguars and ocelots roam if your lucky to see them. i was lucky to see a small ocelot in the wild when i was there,
The beer isnt bad though.

Its an experience, and not necessarily a bad one, but its a country to take at face value.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Belize - Anyone been? on 19:08 - Jan 26 with 2190 viewsWatford_Ranger

Did the Guanacaste region of Costa Rica (the other side from the capital) and loved it.
Belize - Anyone been? on 20:11 - Jan 26 with 2154 viewsBlackCrowe

Stayed at a small hotel called Iguana Reef. We had what was rather grandly called The Penthouse which in reality was an appartment in a fairly simple hotel. It was lovely though.

To be honest, we had a great holiday but i wouldn't rush back to Belize - it's limited. If you want central-ish America then Colombia sounds amazing. I've only been to Bogota and Cartagena but both were fab and it's supposed to be an amazing country for safe holidays (beaches, jungle, culture, food, lovely people, etc). And cheap.

And yes we organised it ourselves.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 20:12]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Belize - Anyone been? on 20:37 - Jan 26 with 2107 viewsichbinnaughty

Yep I’ve travelled round Belize.
Belize City can be a bit lively - definitely some narco stuff going on there.
Orange Walk Town is boring but close to beautiful jungle.
The Caye’s are beautiful Ambergris and Caulker and Half Moon Caye as well. Great snorkelling when I was there (albeit that was years ago now).

I’ve travelled round a lot of Central America.
Excellent part of the world.
Costa Rica is a beautiful country - loads of English spoken there too.

But. Depends what you’re looking for.
Beach & water sports?
Jungle trekking and wildlife?
Adventure sports?
A 'real’ life experience?
Archaeological ruins?
Belize - Anyone been? on 23:30 - Jan 26 with 2026 viewsHantsR

I stayed in San Pedro on Ambergris Cay for a few months surveying for a tourist map. Lived in a beach house and had a pretty good time. Did some fabulous scuba diving near or on what is the second biggest barrier reef in the world. Hopefully that hasn't deteriorated but my experiences are otherwise out of date as that was 1978! Visited Corozal a few times and walked into Chetumal, Mexico. Highlight of that was watching World Cup on Mexican TV
Login to get fewer ads

Belize - Anyone been? on 01:10 - Jan 27 with 1997 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I recommend watching

Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee

before you go!
Belize - Anyone been? on 02:39 - Jan 27 with 1978 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Can’t add anything more to what ichbinnnaughty said, the Cayes are really laid back and well worth a few days to chillax.

Admittedly it was 2002 when I was travelling around Central America, but if time prevails and your interested, then Guatemala is worth a visit. Tikkal isn’t far from Belize either.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Belize - Anyone been? on 02:54 - Jan 27 with 1974 viewsSharpy36

LoftusR, push on to Costa rica

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Belize - Anyone been? on 03:36 - Jan 27 with 1965 viewsNorthLondonR

Belize - Anyone been? on 16:16 - Jan 26 by Boston

Take every vaccine known to mankind.

Strange comment.

For what it's worth I have family there and it's amazing and although definitely get recommend jabs, there is no, as weirdly inferred some kind of health catastrophe. The last 10 times I have visited I haven't bothered getting any vaccinations etc., but like our eminent friend suggests, you should pay attention to FCO guidance.

It has got fairly expensive since North American Visa/ retirement/ tax laws have been relaxed slash made non-existent, however still very much affordable.

The south is wonderful and prefer Placencia to the northern Cayes which you can relatively cheaply connect to the Southern Cayes as well as the Garifuna villages which is something I recommend. San Ignacio is definitely worth a visit as well.

I think they are considering launching a direct London flight, but to be relatively hassle free, fly via USA (normally Houston or Miami), It can be slightly more expensive but your departure taxes etc are covered in the flight ticket and via Mexico (albeit my favoured route) you are very likely to be subject to being fleeced (illegally) by invented taxes (choice is often pay or don't move).

I once got a very cheap flight via Madrid and San Salvador which was amazing and there is a direct flight to Belize City from SS but haven't been able to sort this for a few years.
Belize - Anyone been? on 13:24 - Jan 27 with 1817 viewsichbinnaughty

Belize - Anyone been? on 02:54 - Jan 27 by Sharpy36

LoftusR, push on to Costa rica

Yes. This.

And also the comment about Tikal in Guatemala. Amazing place.
Also, north into the Yucatan is amazing too.
Great part of the world. People very nice and friendly.
Belize - Anyone been? on 13:33 - Jan 27 with 1793 viewsLoftusR

Belize - Anyone been? on 13:24 - Jan 27 by ichbinnaughty

Yes. This.

And also the comment about Tikal in Guatemala. Amazing place.
Also, north into the Yucatan is amazing too.
Great part of the world. People very nice and friendly.

Ahh don't say that. The missus has been banging on about Costa Rica. I just fancy Belize since a mate was stationed there in the army. Also a couple of kiwi friends recon it's the best diving / snorkling they've ever done and they've been a few places. BC and NLR, I have sent you dm's.
Belize - Anyone been? on 13:44 - Jan 27 with 1770 viewsR_from_afar

I haven’t been to Belize but I would recommend Puerto Rico, for one main reason: If you go to Vieques, you can visit the best bioluminescent bay in the world. My wife is not that fussed about nature normally but she thought it was incredible. Touch the water and it glows blue.

In addition, there are lots of great beach resorts and it is really worth staying in the El Yunque rainforest. If you stay at Casa Flamboyant, a B&B, you will be able to lie in a plunge pool on the terrace looking down a valley to the sea and up to the rainforest covered mountains. There is also a huge waterfall and over 50 species of orchids in the wild grounds of the property. We spent all day on the rocks by the waterfall and saw no more than a dozen people. The B&B organises guided walks in the rainforest too.

Whatever you do, have a great trip.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Belize - Anyone been? on 21:11 - Jan 27 with 1688 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Belize - Anyone been? on 13:44 - Jan 27 by R_from_afar

I haven’t been to Belize but I would recommend Puerto Rico, for one main reason: If you go to Vieques, you can visit the best bioluminescent bay in the world. My wife is not that fussed about nature normally but she thought it was incredible. Touch the water and it glows blue.

In addition, there are lots of great beach resorts and it is really worth staying in the El Yunque rainforest. If you stay at Casa Flamboyant, a B&B, you will be able to lie in a plunge pool on the terrace looking down a valley to the sea and up to the rainforest covered mountains. There is also a huge waterfall and over 50 species of orchids in the wild grounds of the property. We spent all day on the rocks by the waterfall and saw no more than a dozen people. The B&B organises guided walks in the rainforest too.

Willesden Swimming Pool used to go blue when you pissed in it when I was a kid.
Belize - Anyone been? on 21:24 - Jan 27 with 1675 viewsPunteR

Belize - Anyone been? on 13:44 - Jan 27 by R_from_afar

I had to look that up to see what it was. Pretty cool.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024