Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keith Sanderson 08:46 - Mar 17 with 2467 viewsenfieldargh

No, not bad news.

Hes been inducted into the /forever R's

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/keith-sanderson-inducted-into-forever-rs/

My first visit to LR was back in 1967 home to Plymouth as a 9 year old. I saw a fell in love with Rodney Marsh, the Morgan Twins and Loftus Road.

But who was that old geezer in midfield, looked like my grandad.....Keith Sanderson

Keep well, keep safe Keith

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Keith Sanderson on 09:43 - Mar 17 with 2416 viewsstevec

Best news I’ve heard this week.

What you said. My first game scrambled up the mud bank at SAR, through the knees of the adults and up on a wooden box. Looked up and standing right in front of me was this massive presence, Rodney Marsh, retrieving a ball during the knock about.

But my overriding memory of that day was the old grandad figure in the centre of the park who’d throw in an overhead kick no more than three feet off the ground when it really wasn’t needed. A big cheer went up. In the following 53 years I don’t think I’ve seen such a thing, performed on the centre spot, ever repeated.

Magical.
Keith Sanderson on 11:28 - Mar 17 with 2357 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Wasn't he a computer programmer, back in the days when people would ask "what's a computer? "
Keith Sanderson on 11:32 - Mar 17 with 2354 viewslongbottom

Great news and long overdue I might add.
Worked for NCR along the Marylebone road I think.
Keith Sanderson on 22:14 - Mar 17 with 2219 viewsgazza1

A very decent and classy midfielder, think he was South African, held a job outside of QPR and was classed as part time player although he played most weeks.

He brings back good memories of the Rangers.
Keith Sanderson on 22:17 - Mar 17 with 2212 viewsBoston

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Sanderson_(footballer)

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Keith Sanderson on 22:19 - Mar 17 with 2208 viewsBoston

Sadly, I have no recollection of the man, to me he was just a name on the back of a programme.

Keith Sanderson on 22:59 - Mar 17 with 2187 viewsHantsR

That Plymouth game was one of my first games Greg. Keith was always described as one of the few part-timers in the game. I just remember him being a busy, unassuming midfielder; likeable and arguably he complemented the more flamboyant Rodney.
Keith Sanderson on 07:56 - Mar 18 with 2103 viewsQPRSteve

Keith Sanderson on 22:14 - Mar 17 by gazza1

A very decent and classy midfielder, think he was South African, held a job outside of QPR and was classed as part time player although he played most weeks.

He brings back good memories of the Rangers.

You're thinking of Stuart Leary. He was South African.
Login to get fewer ads

Keith Sanderson on 08:05 - Mar 18 with 2089 viewsShotKneesHoop

Keith Sanderson on 11:32 - Mar 17 by longbottom

Great news and long overdue I might add.
Worked for NCR along the Marylebone road I think.

Keith Sanderson actually worked as a systems analyst for IBM when he was playing for Rangers. IBM = I Blame Microsoft (as their small business computers division went down the tubes)
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 8:06]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Keith Sanderson on 16:11 - Mar 18 with 2001 viewsgazza1

Keith Sanderson on 07:56 - Mar 18 by QPRSteve

You're thinking of Stuart Leary. He was South African.

yes you could be right mate......
Keith Sanderson on 19:56 - Mar 18 with 1948 viewswelwynranger

I believe he is the only part time footballer to play in a professional major Wembley final
Keith Sanderson on 19:58 - Mar 18 with 1947 viewsflynnbo

Keith Sanderson on 16:11 - Mar 18 by gazza1

yes you could be right mate......

Or Bobby Keetch?
Keith Sanderson on 20:13 - Mar 18 with 1931 viewsfrancisbowles

I have a vague recollection that he was an Amateur, back in those days before 1974-75 when there was a distinction between those who were paid and those that weren't.

Anyone else know if this is correct?
Keith Sanderson on 20:51 - Mar 18 with 1910 viewsShotKneesHoop

Keith Sanderson on 20:13 - Mar 18 by francisbowles

I have a vague recollection that he was an Amateur, back in those days before 1974-75 when there was a distinction between those who were paid and those that weren't.

Correct, he also could not always attend training because he was writing COBOL programs for a living

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Keith Sanderson on 20:55 - Mar 18 with 1909 viewsDannyPaddox

Keith Sanderson on 11:28 - Mar 17 by WrightUp5hit___

Wasn't he a computer programmer, back in the days when people would ask "what's a computer? "

Weren’t computers back then about the size of the blue and white bar. Except you’d have more chance of them working out how to get Guinness’s ready and poured for half-time.
Keith Sanderson on 21:02 - Mar 18 with 1904 viewsShotKneesHoop

Keith Sanderson on 20:55 - Mar 18 by DannyPaddox

Weren’t computers back then about the size of the blue and white bar. Except you’d have more chance of them working out how to get Guinness’s ready and poured for half-time.

They were known as "main frames" because of the amount of cast iron and nuts and bolts holding the bloody things together..

What an iPhone does now knocks seven colours of shyte out of one of those hulks.

IBM never allowed a company to buy one, they always leased them, so they got the next upgrade. A money spinner of a strategy until they invented PC's and asked Bill Gates to write the operating software.

As big a mistake as asking Redknobb to run your football club.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 21:03]

Keith Sanderson on 09:46 - Mar 19 with 1839 viewsterryb

Keith Sanderson on 20:13 - Mar 18 by francisbowles

This is my topic for matermind!

He was a semi professional (part time professional). A semi pro had a job outside of football but was also paid by the club he played for. Amateurs, theoretically, were not paid!

In those days the "non league" scene was split amateur & semi professional leagues. Although a few leagues did operate with a combination of both type of clubs:-

Amateur - Isthmian, Athenian, Corinthian, Spartan, Hellenic, South Midlands, Northern (and many more). The Athenian League became the first amateur league to have promotion/relegation when it amalgamated with the Corinthian & Delphpian circe 1964. The Isthmian formed a second division circa 1973 (mainly from Athenian clubs).

Semi Professional - Southern, Kent, Midlands, Cheshire, Lancashire Combination, West Midlands, North East (and many others). The Northern Premier was formed circa 1968 by taking the top clubs from these leagues. One off the main reasons was to reduce the number of clubs seeking election to the Football league & was then limited to the champions of the Southern & the N orthern Premier.

Mixed Leagues - Eastern Counties, Western, Metropolitan (and many more). These were mainly geographically based & had a combination of amateur clubs with reserve/A teams from professional clubs. The EC had, for instance, Stowmarket, Sudbury, Lowestoft playing against Chelmsford Reserves, Tottenham A, West Ham A.

What should be said is that many of the so called amateur clubs paid their amateur players more than the semi professional clubs did!
Keith Sanderson on 09:53 - Mar 19 with 1829 viewsfrancisbowles

Keith Sanderson on 09:46 - Mar 19 by terryb

This is my topic for matermind!

He was a semi professional (part time professional). A semi pro had a job outside of football but was also paid by the club he played for. Amateurs, theoretically, were not paid!

In those days the "non league" scene was split amateur & semi professional leagues. Although a few leagues did operate with a combination of both type of clubs:-

Amateur - Isthmian, Athenian, Corinthian, Spartan, Hellenic, South Midlands, Northern (and many more). The Athenian League became the first amateur league to have promotion/relegation when it amalgamated with the Corinthian & Delphpian circe 1964. The Isthmian formed a second division circa 1973 (mainly from Athenian clubs).

Semi Professional - Southern, Kent, Midlands, Cheshire, Lancashire Combination, West Midlands, North East (and many others). The Northern Premier was formed circa 1968 by taking the top clubs from these leagues. One off the main reasons was to reduce the number of clubs seeking election to the Football league & was then limited to the champions of the Southern & the N orthern Premier.

Mixed Leagues - Eastern Counties, Western, Metropolitan (and many more). These were mainly geographically based & had a combination of amateur clubs with reserve/A teams from professional clubs. The EC had, for instance, Stowmarket, Sudbury, Lowestoft playing against Chelmsford Reserves, Tottenham A, West Ham A.

What should be said is that many of the so called amateur clubs paid their amateur players more than the semi professional clubs did!

Thanks Terryb. Very interesting and fills in a few gaps in my knowledge.

I seem to remember some clubs having a reserve side, an A team and the youth sides. I think it was one of Arsenal's sides that played the Metropolitan Police, maybe in the Metropolitan League?
Keith Sanderson on 13:44 - Mar 19 with 1782 viewsterryb

Keith Sanderson on 09:53 - Mar 19 by francisbowles

Thanks Terryb. Very interesting and fills in a few gaps in my knowledge.

I seem to remember some clubs having a reserve side, an A team and the youth sides. I think it was one of Arsenal's sides that played the Metropolitan Police, maybe in the Metropolitan League?

It probably was FB.

Arsenal & Tottenham certainly had B teams as well! I think (but I'm far from sure) that the A teams played in the ECL & the B teams in the Metropolitan until the ECL decided not to have A teams.

I used to have a book that would have covered all of this, but last year included replacing all the lounge & dining room furniture. The bookcase & most of the books on it fell victim to the clear out!
Keith Sanderson on 16:05 - Mar 19 with 1758 viewswombleR

What hasn't been mentioned was that Keith Sanderson was a Cambridge football blue. My dim and distant recollection of him was as an industrious player who did a lot of the donkey work which allowed the likes of Rodney Marsh et al to shine.

My other recollection was that he broke his leg in a friendly match against Slovan Bratislava played in March 1968. The sound of fracture was audible in the stands!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queens-Park-Rangers-v-Internacional-Bratislava-Friend
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 16:06]
Keith Sanderson on 16:30 - Mar 19 with 1744 viewsterryb

Keith Sanderson on 16:05 - Mar 19 by wombleR

What hasn't been mentioned was that Keith Sanderson was a Cambridge football blue. My dim and distant recollection of him was as an industrious player who did a lot of the donkey work which allowed the likes of Rodney Marsh et al to shine.

My other recollection was that he broke his leg in a friendly match against Slovan Bratislava played in March 1968. The sound of fracture was audible in the stands!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queens-Park-Rangers-v-Internacional-Bratislava-Friend
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 16:06]

I had forgotten about the leg break.

He did play four times for us in the first division with his last FL game being in a 4-0 home defeat to the Pensioners, when he joined Goole Town.

His last club was Wimbledon in the Southern league.
Keith Sanderson on 16:47 - Mar 19 with 1733 viewswombleR

Keith Sanderson on 16:30 - Mar 19 by terryb

I had forgotten about the leg break.

He did play four times for us in the first division with his last FL game being in a 4-0 home defeat to the Pensioners, when he joined Goole Town.

His last club was Wimbledon in the Southern league.

I remember that Chelsea match very well. It pissed it out of the heavens all game. I was soaked to the skin having hung to the galvanised sheeting behind the School End. It was a season where nothing went right for us.
Keith Sanderson on 17:07 - Mar 19 with 1720 viewsEsox_Lucius

Keith Sanderson on 16:47 - Mar 19 by wombleR

I remember that Chelsea match very well. It pissed it out of the heavens all game. I was soaked to the skin having hung to the galvanised sheeting behind the School End. It was a season where nothing went right for us.

IIRC that was the game where CFC's 4th goal was a lumped clearance by Mike Kelly striking Bobby Keetch on the back of the head, prostrating him face down in the mud, and returning into the back of the net.

The grass is always greener.

Keith Sanderson on 23:27 - Mar 19 with 1653 viewsBoston

Excellent recollections Terence and Wombles.

Keith Sanderson on 12:38 - Mar 20 with 1613 viewsHantsR

Keith Sanderson on 17:07 - Mar 19 by Esox_Lucius

IIRC that was the game where CFC's 4th goal was a lumped clearance by Mike Kelly striking Bobby Keetch on the back of the head, prostrating him face down in the mud, and returning into the back of the net.

I was at that awful game. Didn't Keetch give away a penalty? - I seem to remember him lying down in the area, looking up cheekily at the referee (well known one at the time, forget name) who approached him, stared him in the eye and beckoned him to get up and awarded the penalty, taken by Osgood.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 12:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024