Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Behind closed doors & streamed? 11:03 - Apr 17 with 22989 viewsjudd

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/all-english-football-league-games-to-res

Poll: What is it to be then?

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 09:59 - May 7 with 2803 viewsDaleiLama

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 00:32 - May 7 by foreverhopefulDale

Be interesting to know how many lives have been saved by the cleaner air due to the lock down.
Things like working from home, need to continue, online and telephone medical consultations, as well are good things. Just think how much time , money and indeed pollution is saved by people not having to go to a medical centre but instead the consulting done online or by phone. Doctors can email sick notes that can then be forwarded to employers. Prescriptions can be sent electronically to pharmacies, then picked up or even delivered.
Online meetings, etc. Getting back to normal. There has to be a new normal.

Lives saved but plenty more improved as well.
Sure exactly these conversations are going on in lots of companies now FHD. I know they are with my g/fs employer. Not much point people having smartphones and not working smart is there? The flip side of this is there may well be jobs lost. I can still remember when I used to use a dictaphone and a secretary would type stuff for me and book my travel. Such 20th century concepts now, like the first car phone I had which only worked in the car and couldn't be taken out! Progress.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 10:04 - May 7 with 2796 viewsD_Alien

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 09:59 - May 7 by DaleiLama

Lives saved but plenty more improved as well.
Sure exactly these conversations are going on in lots of companies now FHD. I know they are with my g/fs employer. Not much point people having smartphones and not working smart is there? The flip side of this is there may well be jobs lost. I can still remember when I used to use a dictaphone and a secretary would type stuff for me and book my travel. Such 20th century concepts now, like the first car phone I had which only worked in the car and couldn't be taken out! Progress.

One of the effects of watching films made in the 1980s/90s is the hilarity in watching people using old (but revolutionary at the time) technology

It's very distracting, and actually worse than watching films from back in the day before communications technologies stretched beyond a fixed-line telephone

I wonder what we'll make of watching office-based films in say, 10-15 years from now?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:05 - May 7 with 2734 viewstony_roch975

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 00:32 - May 7 by foreverhopefulDale

Be interesting to know how many lives have been saved by the cleaner air due to the lock down.
Things like working from home, need to continue, online and telephone medical consultations, as well are good things. Just think how much time , money and indeed pollution is saved by people not having to go to a medical centre but instead the consulting done online or by phone. Doctors can email sick notes that can then be forwarded to employers. Prescriptions can be sent electronically to pharmacies, then picked up or even delivered.
Online meetings, etc. Getting back to normal. There has to be a new normal.

agree about some of the advantages but bit like the Zoom calls I've been having with family or social groups which are often stilted and disjointed, online consultations can only be partial replacements for face to face live contact with another human being, especially so with a doctor whose diagnosis of you often depends on subtle interpersonal judgements.
"digital consultations aren't right for everyone, particularly the growing number of patients living with complex health needs, as well as patients who might not be tech-savvy and could prefer to access their GP surgery in person or by phone. It's essential that as new technologies become more widespread, patients without smartphones and who prefer accessing their GP via more traditional means are not left behind," Professor Helen Stokes-Lampard, chair of the Royal College of GPs.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:10 - May 7 with 2727 viewstony_roch975

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 23:03 - May 6 by nordenblue

We will reach a point soon enough where the risk attached for anyone will be outweighed by the governments need to get the economy moving again, this will begin once they start reintroducing kids back to school.

One positive thing that could/should come out of all this mess is that a fair few companies may now realise how fooking stupid it is to ask every member of staff to all drive into one place of work at the same time sat in rush hour traffic Mon-Frid to all sit around desks on laptops all day.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 23:05]

This risk/reward issue is key - any easing of the lockdown demands the answer to the question - what is a 'tolerable' number of increased deaths from Covid as a result of the easing (while taking into account those likely to occur from a continuing lockdown)?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:45 - May 7 with 2688 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:05 - May 7 by tony_roch975

agree about some of the advantages but bit like the Zoom calls I've been having with family or social groups which are often stilted and disjointed, online consultations can only be partial replacements for face to face live contact with another human being, especially so with a doctor whose diagnosis of you often depends on subtle interpersonal judgements.
"digital consultations aren't right for everyone, particularly the growing number of patients living with complex health needs, as well as patients who might not be tech-savvy and could prefer to access their GP surgery in person or by phone. It's essential that as new technologies become more widespread, patients without smartphones and who prefer accessing their GP via more traditional means are not left behind," Professor Helen Stokes-Lampard, chair of the Royal College of GPs.

Totally agree with all of that, many people will still want or need to see their doctor in person, however many of us must have had to attend an appointment in person that could have been done on the phone or online. I personally could easily halve the number of appointments at least, by phone appointments if allowed to, saving time money and hassle, as well as the risk of giving someone else any cold or similar thatI might have.

But yes we must as a society makes sure people can still see their medical practitioners in person if they want to.

Good advice here from the TUC
https://www.tuc.org.uk/blogs/government-wage-scheme-needs-reform-not-ideological

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:46 - May 7 with 2679 viewsnordenblue

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:10 - May 7 by tony_roch975

This risk/reward issue is key - any easing of the lockdown demands the answer to the question - what is a 'tolerable' number of increased deaths from Covid as a result of the easing (while taking into account those likely to occur from a continuing lockdown)?

Exactly, what's a tolerable level to expect families to remain under currently and for what kind of timescale, you can see already a marked increase in peoples movements and cars on the road,folk are already bored and pissed off being told what they can and cant do, I agree with the idea and the reasoning but the implementing of it long term is close to impossible as it relies on EVERYONE'S compliance, as shown that's not going to continue much longer
Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:51 - May 7 with 2675 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:10 - May 7 by tony_roch975

I would argue that no number of extra deaths would really be tolerable, unless it’s some knob who really wants to risk people’s health like a certain pub chain’s boss who wants to see early opening of pubs. Those calling for too quick of a lifting are usually safe in their ivory towers, and probably would have plenty of money not to face the consequence of lockdowns having to be reinforced. The following is sound easing of lockdowns advertising from the TUC.

https://www.tuc.org.uk/blogs/government-wage-scheme-needs-reform-not-ideological
[Post edited 7 May 2020 11:52]

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:57 - May 7 with 2652 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:46 - May 7 by nordenblue

Exactly, what's a tolerable level to expect families to remain under currently and for what kind of timescale, you can see already a marked increase in peoples movements and cars on the road,folk are already bored and pissed off being told what they can and cant do, I agree with the idea and the reasoning but the implementing of it long term is close to impossible as it relies on EVERYONE'S compliance, as shown that's not going to continue much longer

You are right, it needs to be eased, but sensibly.
Things like being able to see another household, so long as you are free from symptoms, would be a good step. Part time working, part time schooling, etc , would allow a chance of easing things while keeping relative chance of keeping social distancing.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 11:59]

Login to get fewer ads

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:02 - May 7 with 2629 viewsisitme

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:51 - May 7 by foreverhopefulDale

I would argue that no number of extra deaths would really be tolerable, unless it’s some knob who really wants to risk people’s health like a certain pub chain’s boss who wants to see early opening of pubs. Those calling for too quick of a lifting are usually safe in their ivory towers, and probably would have plenty of money not to face the consequence of lockdowns having to be reinforced. The following is sound easing of lockdowns advertising from the TUC.

[Post edited 7 May 2020 11:52]

The question then regarding a longer lockdown without a gradual relaxing of the restrictions is how many non covid19 related lives will be lost versus the number saved from covid19?

It is a difficult balancing act but at least if there is a relaxation then people who are at risk and can make the choice to continue to isolate they can do so. I suspect when restaurants open that many people won't want to go initially, but others will.

I suspect as well that many people calling for an end to lockdown are struggling financially or worried about their job and their family. Anecdotally many people calling for an extension without a relaxation are those off on full pay, people whose jobs are not at risk or people who do not work.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 12:06]
Behind closed doors & streamed? on 18:28 - May 7 with 2498 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:02 - May 7 by isitme

The question then regarding a longer lockdown without a gradual relaxing of the restrictions is how many non covid19 related lives will be lost versus the number saved from covid19?

It is a difficult balancing act but at least if there is a relaxation then people who are at risk and can make the choice to continue to isolate they can do so. I suspect when restaurants open that many people won't want to go initially, but others will.

I suspect as well that many people calling for an end to lockdown are struggling financially or worried about their job and their family. Anecdotally many people calling for an extension without a relaxation are those off on full pay, people whose jobs are not at risk or people who do not work.

I definitely think there should be an easing of the lock down and provided a couple of examples how to do so, as well as the TUCs guidance. Any business that can open safely, should do, however any worker who has legitimate reasons to be in work, should still be able to be off work, either through the furlough scheme or on full pay through their employer. Legitimate reasons would include family household members who are shielding, or workers who are at an heightened risk, due to a pre existing medical problem. There is definitely an heightened risk of mental health problems, domestic abuse and other problems that can lead to increased deaths, due to the lockdown, that’s why they need relaxing , especially people being able to meet other households of their family and to be able to enjoy fresh air, locally, including going to a local park, while observing safe distancing.

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 20:20 - May 7 with 2442 viewsnordenblue

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:02 - May 7 by isitme

You're absolutely spot on with the last paragraph, me and the mrs have gone from us both earning 100% to me earning 0% and shes on 80% salary so as a household we are currently running at 40% our "normal" income.

As a result I've reduced the risk as much as possible but had to return to work and kind of fook what they're telling us to do, how they tell you to stay at home while at the same time provide zero support is baffling to say the least, according to the accountant I "fell through the cracks" of any financial support along with thousands of others it appears.
Behind closed doors & streamed? on 22:07 - May 7 with 2389 viewsisitme

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 20:20 - May 7 by nordenblue

You're absolutely spot on with the last paragraph, me and the mrs have gone from us both earning 100% to me earning 0% and shes on 80% salary so as a household we are currently running at 40% our "normal" income.

As a result I've reduced the risk as much as possible but had to return to work and kind of fook what they're telling us to do, how they tell you to stay at home while at the same time provide zero support is baffling to say the least, according to the accountant I "fell through the cracks" of any financial support along with thousands of others it appears.

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances. Eventually the furlough tap will have to be turned off and unfortunately many of those enjoying being sat at home on 80% pay may be in for a nasty shock that they won't have a job to go back to if the economy is not restarted soon.

The thing I do not understand is what will happen to those in the restaurant/pub/hospitality industries. If furlough payments are due to end in July what are those who work in industries that are still mothballed supposed to do? The government cannot tell them they cannot open but not support them financially. I suppose a solution would be to extend the furlough scheme but only to certain sectors of the economy.
Behind closed doors & streamed? on 22:48 - May 7 with 2361 viewsnordenblue

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 22:07 - May 7 by isitme

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances. Eventually the furlough tap will have to be turned off and unfortunately many of those enjoying being sat at home on 80% pay may be in for a nasty shock that they won't have a job to go back to if the economy is not restarted soon.

The thing I do not understand is what will happen to those in the restaurant/pub/hospitality industries. If furlough payments are due to end in July what are those who work in industries that are still mothballed supposed to do? The government cannot tell them they cannot open but not support them financially. I suppose a solution would be to extend the furlough scheme but only to certain sectors of the economy.

Thanks, it's just the sad state the country now finds itself in, the mrs works in travel so having initially making many redundant the firm then backtracked when the furlough scheme came out and put the inevitable off for a few months, whilst keeping a few still "employed" working from home on 4 day weeks, I can see the full place crashing down within 12 months to be honest.

Along with the industries you mention travel seems pretty terminal(no pun), you'd have to question the sanity of anyone wishing to board a plane for leisure anytime this calender year that's even if they have the funds to support a holiday after all this properly takes a grip, no doubt travel companies inevitably hiking the prices up to try and recoup some brass next year too.

I've several contacts in the haulage industry still and that's going the same direction too with many many long established firms simply shutting down as a direct result of all this, all these comments like "the government have to help them out" its blatantly not happening,its just one big fooking mess...
Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:23 - May 10 with 2209 viewsrochdaleriddler

Germany’s plans for restart already in trouble as second tier side Dinamo Dresden players have to quarantine for two weeks due to 2 players testing positive . Their sporting director is called Ralph Minge !

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 13:44 - May 10 with 2136 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:23 - May 10 by rochdaleriddler

Germany’s plans for restart already in trouble as second tier side Dinamo Dresden players have to quarantine for two weeks due to 2 players testing positive . Their sporting director is called Ralph Minge !

Known as “hairy” to his closest friends...
Behind closed doors & streamed? on 14:20 - May 10 with 2104 viewsD_Alien

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 13:44 - May 10 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Known as “hairy” to his closest friends...

Airey is a proper first name

Go on, Mr. Minge, if you have a son i dare you...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 14:36 - May 10 with 2078 viewsAtThePeake

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:23 - May 10 by rochdaleriddler

They're still planning to go ahead with the restart: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/plans-finish-german-football-season

I need football back for my own livelihood otherwise I could end up like one of the people isitme mentioned a few posts up (although I have to say that I wouldn't say I have been 'enjoying' not working in the last few weeks, nor would I consider anything to be a shock in the current circumstances), but this seems totally wrong to me. The players are still very clearly at risk. Money coming before safety again I fear.

Tangled up in blue.

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 16:32 - May 13 with 1899 viewsfermin

Government guidance on return to elite sport:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phas
[Post edited 13 May 2020 16:33]
Behind closed doors & streamed? on 19:15 - May 13 with 1776 views442Dale

Could anyone who tunes in provide a bit of an update please. Ta!
[Post edited 13 May 2020 19:15]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 19:47 - May 13 with 1741 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 19:43 - May 14 with 1619 viewsJames1980

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52670556?at_custom4=FB29EA78-960E-11EA-9995

Hardy a surprise

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 14:17 - May 15 with 1511 viewsTVOS1907

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 19:15 - May 13 by 442Dale

Could anyone who tunes in provide a bit of an update please. Ta!
[Post edited 13 May 2020 19:15]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08bs1gh?fbclid=IwAR0eQGrVERyzkiQBfnOgPvEN14sa

Start at around 1:23

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024