Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What if? 08:30 - Apr 19 with 1942 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Looking back on key moments, where a game, a season and so on can change in a nanosecond. What if something had or had not happened, where would be? I’ll start with the obvious:

1. What if we’d won at Norwich or, Wolves had of held on to their lead and we won the First Division title?

A: I’m not sure we would have pushed on. I don’t think we’d have brought in a couple of top recruits to have properly built on what was there.

2. We and not Oxford had signed Ray Houghton?

A. I was gutted he never signed and from what I heard at the time, it was so close to being done. I think he’d have been fantastic for QPR and dare I say it, the outcome of events in 1986 would have been different!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

What if? on 09:07 - Apr 19 with 1513 views2Thomas2Bowles

What is overlooked is the 0-0 at Sheffield U, Stan said many times that result in a way was worse than Norwich, but we were robbed at Norwich.

They finished bottom with 22 points

We took the game too lightly and never really showed up.

Maybe we would have missed out on GD anyway

JG just did not want to spend the money on players he wanted to develop the stadium, that was clear by selling DT, Parks and so on and to be fair, he did build a great stadium at that time.

JG pragmatic he kept the club going within our means and still some great days.

TF...........

If's and but's

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

What if? on 10:02 - Apr 19 with 1501 viewsnix

Definitely that Cantona goal at LR when my father in law had already ushered us into the car to drive home (and we'd left practically at full time). We were listening to it on the radio with husband's brother and nephew, both Man U traitors. It was the first time nephew had heard me swear violently as the commentator (as they always do) celebrated a Man U goal. It was only a draw but one of those that felt like a loss, and you just knew it had knocked the heart and belief out of both the team and the fans, such was the unfairness of it and the most blatant manifestation of Fergie time. We knew the season was up and we were going down that year.
What if? on 10:09 - Apr 19 with 1487 viewsfrancisbowles

What if, every time we had started a game well we had made it count and gone on to win?

What if, every time we had started a game poorly we had turned it around and gone on to win?

Which one has occurred most frequently? Started well but didn't win or started poorly but did win.

I would suggest the first by a large margin.
What if? on 10:16 - Apr 19 with 1481 viewsJuzzie

What if Cantona hadn’t scored in the 159th minute. Would we still have stayed up that season just as the money was starting to come into the game? If so, would we have made a good job of it or just ballsed it up and gone down a couple of years later anyway.

What if Hoilett had actually put in a decent cross in May 2014? Instead of it going to Keogh it might have gone to one of our players who may not have scored. (btw, his build up work was excellent, could easily have not tried and just run the clock down for ET)

What if Oxford hadn’t beaten Villa in the Milk Cup semi. Would we have beaten Villa in the final?
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 10:21]
What if? on 10:16 - Apr 19 with 1480 viewsEsox_Lucius

What if the fans had voted Adel Taarabt POTY?

The grass is always greener.

What if? on 10:19 - Apr 19 with 1478 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The ‘96th minute Cantona goal.

Edit: Sorry Nix missed your post.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 10:19]
What if? on 10:27 - Apr 19 with 1457 viewsSuperhoop83

Agyemang and Mackie hadn't scored in injury time at Derby in 2010?

Mackie hadn't scored in injury time against Liverpool in 2012?

I know the answer to the second one. Not sure about the first one though.

Suffering since 1978.

What if? on 10:39 - Apr 19 with 1434 viewsterryb

What if TV had not gone to Barcelona?

I think we may have won the league!

What if the FA had deducted us points in 2011?

I've no idea what would have happened but I think it would have taken the club & players some time to recover.
Login to get fewer ads

What if? on 11:00 - Apr 19 with 1422 viewsnix

What if? on 10:19 - Apr 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

The ‘96th minute Cantona goal.

Edit: Sorry Nix missed your post.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 10:19]

No probs Bazz. Didn't think I'd be alone on this one....
What if? on 11:14 - Apr 19 with 1409 viewsDannyPaddox

What if back in the Premier League 2011/12 Warnock would’ve got his first choice transfer target after the money arrived - Scott Parker (therefore no Joey Ballbag). I mean I’m sure the board would’ve eventually fcuked it up anyway but I do wonder.

And if we hadn’t lost that 2nd Leg at Red Star Belgrade 4-0 it’s highly likely as an 18 year old I would’ve caught the clap in a foreign brothel sometime during the next round.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 13:04]
What if? on 12:04 - Apr 19 with 1362 viewsdistortR

One that still bugs me - after the 2-2 home draw with Liverpool in fa cup qf in 1990, went up there for a replay, 1-0 down but running them ragged, last minute and Macca's shot, in all the way, is cleared off the line. That team deserved it's moment in the sun, I remember feeling bereft on the train back down, why can't it ever be fvcking us?
What if? on 12:12 - Apr 19 with 1353 viewsstowmarketrange

What if Fulham had moved into scumford bridge in 1905?They wouldn’t have had to form another team to save the ground becoming a white elephant instead of the dump it was for a hundred years.
What if? on 12:19 - Apr 19 with 1349 viewsRangersw12

What if we had been admitted to the football league ( Southern league champions) instead of Spurs who finished midtable
What if? on 12:24 - Apr 19 with 1342 viewsqprxtc

What if St Judes institute couldn’t be arsed forming a football team in the end and decided that a session in the pub was in order instead.
What if? on 12:49 - Apr 19 with 1311 viewsDWQPR

Going back to the original post. Liverpool went on to win the European Cup the following season whilst we competed in what was considered at the time a far tougher competition the UEFA Cup, not often do teams retain titles and the better teams tended to be in the UEFA cup the following season, that and one less round to contest. It could have been us in the final against Munchengladbach whom we dismantled pre-season in 1975 in their own back yard. So we could have become the champions of Europe in 1977. Not so far fetched as it seems.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

What if? on 13:10 - Apr 19 with 1292 viewsDannyPaddox

What if? on 12:24 - Apr 19 by qprxtc

What if St Judes institute couldn’t be arsed forming a football team in the end and decided that a session in the pub was in order instead.

Really should have ended the tread on this ultimate what if - especially as I agree with everything in the next post and get quite depressed when I’m reminded of the Mönchengladbach hypothesis.
What if? on 13:24 - Apr 19 with 1269 viewsMiss_Terraces

What if Jamie Pollock hadn't of scored that goal?

Jesus would have been the most influential person, of the two millenniums

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

What if? on 13:29 - Apr 19 with 1257 viewsstowmarketrange

What if? on 12:49 - Apr 19 by DWQPR

Going back to the original post. Liverpool went on to win the European Cup the following season whilst we competed in what was considered at the time a far tougher competition the UEFA Cup, not often do teams retain titles and the better teams tended to be in the UEFA cup the following season, that and one less round to contest. It could have been us in the final against Munchengladbach whom we dismantled pre-season in 1975 in their own back yard. So we could have become the champions of Europe in 1977. Not so far fetched as it seems.

There was a confession on the Simon mayo drivetime program about 3-4 years ago from a Liverpool supporter who went to Rome for the final in 1977 and he said something about visiting the Vatican while he was there,but he lied to his devout catholic mum about meeting the pope.
I texted the show and said that he wasn’t forgiven because him and his team shouldn’t have been there because they stole the title from us in 76 2 weeks after the season had finished.
Spurs fan Mayo gladly read out my text on air to wind up Liverpool supporting Matt who read the sports news on his program.His pathetic response was “Just get over it.”
What if? on 16:02 - Apr 19 with 1190 viewsTomS

What if Glenn Hoddle's shot in the FA Cup Final hadn't deflected off Tony Currie's leg, resulting in changing the flight of the ball just wide of Peter Hucker's outstretched reach.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 16:11]
What if? on 16:08 - Apr 19 with 1167 views2Thomas2Bowles

What if? on 16:02 - Apr 19 by TomS

What if Glenn Hoddle's shot in the FA Cup Final hadn't deflected off Tony Currie's leg, resulting in changing the flight of the ball just wide of Peter Hucker's outstretched reach.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 16:11]

What if Clive Allen had not been injured.
Or Glen Roeder not suspended for the replay.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

What if? on 16:15 - Apr 19 with 1152 viewsqpr_1968

how far would we have got if david webb scored that penalty against aek Athens.
I cant even remember who won the eufa cup that year, or who we'd have got next round.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

What if? on 16:16 - Apr 19 with 1149 viewsloftboy

On the OP had we held on at Norwich then Liverpool wouldn’t have won their first European cup,( maybe we would have!) the whole history of our game would be totally different.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What if? on 16:32 - Apr 19 with 1127 viewsDannyPaddox

What if? on 16:15 - Apr 19 by qpr_1968

how far would we have got if david webb scored that penalty against aek Athens.
I cant even remember who won the eufa cup that year, or who we'd have got next round.

Juventus. I believe we would have met them in the Semi- Final.
What if? on 16:46 - Apr 19 with 1112 viewsstowmarketrange

What if? on 16:32 - Apr 19 by DannyPaddox

Juventus. I believe we would have met them in the Semi- Final.

And athletic Bilbao in the 2 legged final.
What if? on 16:50 - Apr 19 with 1104 viewsDevon_4_England

What if? on 16:16 - Apr 19 by loftboy

On the OP had we held on at Norwich then Liverpool wouldn’t have won their first European cup,( maybe we would have!) the whole history of our game would be totally different.

Without wanting us to start chanting Champions of Europe this is pretty chilling
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024